ASIO vs. MME... getting better latency with MME??

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
lfm
Max Output Level: -53 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2216
Re:ASIO vs. MME... getting better latency with MME?? 2011/12/21 08:08:00 (permalink)
vaultwit

Alright. So I really couldn't think of anything that could contribute to DPC latency since I have AVG Free Antivirus (which, according to Lance, should be fine), so I decided to disable my wireless driver and check it again. Afterwards, my DPC latency was in the green all the way - peaked to yellow exactly once, but other than that was in the green in the 100-200 usec range the entire time.

I opened up X1 to try it out, and again, 128 samples is impossible - complete crackling and buzzing. I went up to 256, and still some buzzing every here and there... so basically, the same results as before. Thus, I'm convinced that DPC is not the culprit.

Anything else that could be causing the latency problems? I would love to get down to 128 samples if possible... Thanks in advance.

How big a project are you running?

There is a limit on any computer if running everything in realtime.

Freeze some tracks with synths and heavier audio effects and let those you are working on right now be flexible.
Freeze/unfreeze is very quick and easy to do in Sonar.

This is often forgotten....
Beagle
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 50621
Re:ASIO vs. MME... getting better latency with MME?? 2011/12/21 08:20:10 (permalink)
I really suggest you turn off you internet and AV and those other things I listed just to figure out if one of them is causing your problem.  you can't tell if anything you do is effective if you don't troubleshoot fully.  if you don't want to turn the internet off or other stuff while you're recording/mixing, that's your choice, but at least you'll know if that's what's causing your problem or not.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
vaultwit
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 543
Re:ASIO vs. MME... getting better latency with MME?? 2011/12/21 16:54:10 (permalink)
Beagle

I really suggest you turn off you internet and AV and those other things I listed just to figure out if one of them is causing your problem.  you can't tell if anything you do is effective if you don't troubleshoot fully.  if you don't want to turn the internet off or other stuff while you're recording/mixing, that's your choice, but at least you'll know if that's what's causing your problem or not.

I did what you said and disabled my internet drivers, and uninstalled my AVG anti-virus. While the internet was off and the AV was uninstalled, I checked and the results are the same. The DPC checker still goes in the yellow as it did before, and I cannot lower my sample size any lower than it was before without getting popping and crackling. Instead of reinstalling AVG, I installed Avast Free edition since people are saying its better. This is also with all my sound drivers (besides the M-Audio one) disabled.

In addition, I also went through this windows optimization steps for DAWs and followed the steps that applied to my system. After doing that, and following the suggestions recommended by users in this thread, I still cannot get my latency down to below 10 msec.

Am I to assume that my system is not capable of reaching 10 msec latency? If anyone has any further suggestions to help me get my latency down to 10msec or lower, I would appreciate it. Thanks

Sonar X1 Producer Expanded 64-bit
Computer: Intel Core i7-3770 3.4Ghz, 8GB RAM, Windows 8 
Interface: Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
CJaysMusic
  • Total Posts : 30423
Re:ASIO vs. MME... getting better latency with MME?? 2011/12/21 17:15:19 (permalink)
Yea, you can assume that. you should not have to tweak a almost new pc to get your latency under 10ms. It should do that automatically, if its able to do it. It could be your Mobo. Its definitely not your antivirus and internet drivers..

Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
Audio Blog
vaultwit
Re:ASIO vs. MME... getting better latency with MME?? 2011/12/21 17:15:32 (permalink)
CJaysMusic

Yea, you can assume that. you should not have to tweak a almost new pc to get your latency under 10ms. It should do that automatically, if its able to do it. It could be your Mobo. Its definitely not your antivirus and internet drivers.. 

Cj 
My laptop is only about a year old, I don't see why it shouldn't be able to handle <10msec latency. I'm still convinced that there should be a way to achieve this <10msec. I would hate to have to work with ~20-30 msec latency that I've been having to in the past, but I suppose I have no choice until I figure something else out.

thomasabarnes
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3234
Re:ASIO vs. MME... getting better latency with MME?? 2011/12/21 18:13:36 (permalink)
vaultwit:

Search on the Internet how to get into your BIOS for that laptop (sometimes it's holding down the Delete key or one of the F keys), or read the manual, if you have it.

Once in the BIOS, see if you have a option called HPET Support, disable that if you do. Also disable C3/C6/C7 State support, if you have it. This is an example of a Power Management option. Disable such options if you have them in your BIOS.

Ampfixer gave you some great advice. Check to see if you find some IRQ sharing of important devices. IRQ sharing can cause performance problems such as what you are experiencing.

The ideal setup is for your audio interface and graphics card to not be sharing and IRQ assignment with anything. They each should be on an IRQ alone. Windows automatically makes the IRQ assignments, but if any of these are sharing an IRQ with something else, disabling in the BIOS things that you don't need, such as onboard sound, onboard LAN ports, etc., will cause Windows to reassign IRQ assignments, and that may result in your audio interface and/or graphics card to be placed on an IRQ by itself or with fewer things sharing an IRQ assignment. (Type "system info" in the Run box to get to where you can view IRQ sharing, under the Harware Resources section.)

However, seeing that you are using a USB audio interface, I dont think it's likely to get a USB Host Controller on a IRQ assignment alone. Still, it wouldn't hurt to disable those things in the BIOS you don't need, as mentioned above, onboard sound and such, so fewer things will be sharing an IRQ assignment.

Once you address these matters, you can assure yourself, you have done all you can to get your system to run good as a DAW. If these things don't improve things for you, I would suggest contacting a DAW expert, such a Jim Roseberry of PurrrfectAudio: http://www.studiocat.com/3/index.php/Home for a consultation.

Usually, a common laptop is not a good choice for a DAW. It has to be a specially made laptop. But I'm sure Jim will have the knowledge you need about this matter. Maybe he will even chime in here on this thread with some helpful comments. That would be good for you! :) 

Anyway, goodluck to you.
post edited by thomasabarnes - 2011/12/21 19:02:10

"It's not a song till it touches your heart. It's not a song till it tears you apart!" Lyrics of Amy Grant.

SONAR Platinum X64 (jBridge), Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit, Core i7 990X Extreme Edition Processor 3.46 GHz 6 Cores, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, Crucial Ballistix 24GB 1333MHz DDR3 @1333 MHz, TASCAM UH-7000, Behringer X-Touch, EVGA GTX 980TI Superclocked 6GB, 1TB Samsung EVO 850 SSD, 150GB, 320GB, 1TB 7200rpm HDDs
vaultwit
Re:ASIO vs. MME... getting better latency with MME?? 2011/12/22 00:56:40 (permalink)
Wow thanks thomasabarnes, what an informative reply. I will be sure to try all of the things you mentioned, and contact Jim if I still have problems afterwards.

In the meantime, if anyone else has anything else to add, that would be great too.

Thanks everyone for your help and input!

Muziekschuur at home
Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1442
Re:ASIO vs. MME... getting better latency with MME?? 2011/12/22 02:46:20 (permalink)
This latency usually has to do with drivers misbehaving. So an older graphics card driver might be a solution or a motherboard driver. Sometimes it's a bad USB driver. You cannot disable the graphics card. And motherboard drivers can't be disabled aswell. But USB and firewire drivers can. And might improve the situation. There are many different drivers for both. So you can juggle with this.  

Maybe you are able to wipe the system? Then install W7 barebones. And test every added driver using the latency tester....
Hmmm.... Since 7 adds so many drivers maybe that strategy is only wise in XP....   

post edited by Muziekschuur at home - 2011/12/22 02:57:44

Cakewalk Sonar Platinum Windows 7 32bit & 64bit (dualboot) Gigabyte mobo Intel dual quad 9650 & 4GB Ram RME DIGI9636 & Tascam DM24.  M-audio Rbus & SI-24 Alesis Pro active 5.1 & Radford 90 transmissionline monitors. Roland RD-150 piano Edirol UM-880 & alesis fireport.
Remote recording Alesis HD-24 & Phonic MRS 1-20.
P.A. D&R Dayner 29-8-2 & behringer MX8000 (& racks)
Rackpc Sonar Platinum with win10 AMD X6 1055T, 16GB Ram
 Dell inspiron 17R 6gb ram W10 two SSD's Sonar Plat.
Jim Roseberry
  • Total Posts : 9871
Re:ASIO vs. MME... getting better latency with MME?? 2011/12/22 15:43:57 (permalink)
In the meantime, if anyone else has anything else to add, that would be great too.

Things to focus on:
1.  Free up resources - don't let anything unnecessary stay running in the background.  Prefab machines come loaded to the gills with bloat.  Get rid of it...

2.  DPC Latency - to effectively work at low (audio) latency settings, your machine's DPC latency needs to be as low/consistent as possible. 

3.  Don't connect the USB audio interface to a USB-3 port.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
vaultwit
Re:ASIO vs. MME... getting better latency with MME?? 2011/12/22 16:00:04 (permalink)
How do I know if a port is USB-2 or USB-3?

Jim Roseberry
  • Total Posts : 9871
Re:ASIO vs. MME... getting better latency with MME?? 2011/12/22 16:02:57 (permalink)
How do I know if a port is USB-2 or USB-3?

USB-3 ports are typically blue.
Check your documentation.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1