ASIO4All - whats the point of it?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
wormser
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 984
Re:ASIO4All - whats the point of it? 2010/10/23 00:40:42 (permalink)
FastBikerBoy

Not to mention the 'expensive' interface you've just bought, only to find out that the drivers are crap..............

Sadly the first thing anyone should do before buying an interface, expensive or not, is check forums like this or the manufacturer's forums, to see what others say about the product especially the drivers.

Unfortunately that's STOP these days.

Of course exceptions exist like when Microsoft introduces new operating systems.
Your great $400 interface that worked great with the current OS, Windows XP could easily be turned into a boat anchor when you move to Windows 7 x64.

post edited by wormser - 2010/10/23 00:42:13
guitartrek
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2842
Re:ASIO4All - whats the point of it? 2010/10/23 09:55:51 (permalink)
For some reason ASIO4ALL really does help laptops if you are trying to use the Laptop's own internal sound.  If I use one of my external audio devices I don't use ASIO4ALL.
FastBikerBoy
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 11326
Re:ASIO4All - whats the point of it? 2010/10/23 10:41:36 (permalink)
wormser

FastBikerBoy

Not to mention the 'expensive' interface you've just bought, only to find out that the drivers are crap..............

Sadly the first thing anyone should do before buying an interface, expensive or not, is check forums like this or the manufacturer's forums, to see what others say about the product especially the drivers.

..........and get so many different opinions you end up more confused than when you started. Unfortunately for me I had a set up that wasn't as good as some but I was also running two interfaces which was another reason for running ASIO4ALL. I did get it very stable with that and when I jumped to Windows 7 x64 the drivers were much improved.

Just dismissing ASIO4ALL is a mistake. It can be a great way to get a stable set up.
johnnyV
Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2677
Re:ASIO4All - whats the point of it? 2010/10/23 10:52:43 (permalink)
I agree with the "sometimes looking for info on the forums can have you more confused than when you started". So with that in mind let take this thread summarize:

ASIO4 all is a "good" thing if:
1. If you wish to use your laptop for some editing while away from your main DAW.
2.You are tring to combine 2 different interfaces and wish to use ASIO.
3. The drivers that came with your interface were not updated to Vista or W7.
ASIO4all is "not" a good thing if:
1. Your interface came with the correct drivers but you are having audio problems so you tried ASIO4all  to make things better.
post edited by johnnyV - 2010/10/24 11:32:14

Sonar X3e Studio - Waiting for Professional
 Scarlett 6i6
Yamaha Gear= 01v - NSM 10 - DTX 400 - MG82cx
Roland Gear= A 49- GR 50 - TR 505 - Boss pedals
Tascam Gear=  DR 40 - US1641 -
Mackie Gear= Mix 8 - SRM 350's 
i5 Z97 3.2GHZ quad 16 Gig RAM W 8.1  home build
Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

LJB
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1502
Re:ASIO4All - whats the point of it? 2010/10/24 06:07:10 (permalink)
Man, you shouldn't need to use ASIO4All with a RME audio interface! Users here who use RME products attest that RME has excellent support with updated ASIO driver releases which makes RME audio interfaces capable of stable low latency performance.   You probably need to ask some questions here, so you can get your RME product working as well as other RME product users here.
thomasabarnes

Well, my RME HDSP 9652

Man, you shouldn't need to use ASIO4All with a RME audio interface! Users here who use RME products attest that RME has excellent support with updated ASIO driver releases which makes RME audio interfaces capable of stable low latency performance.

You probably need to ask some questions here, so you can get your RME product working as well as other RME product users here.

Hi Thomas,

I was only trying to get both RME and Yamaha units working at the same time, and as you know, one can only use one ASIO device inside Sonar at any given time. :O)

Ludwig Bouwer, One Big Room Studios.
--------------------
Cakewalk
with all the trimmings / Win 10Pro 64 / Intel i7-7700 / Asus Prime Z270k / 16GB DDR4 / RME HDSP9652 / RME UFX / Black Lion Audio ADA8000 / ART MPA & ART Pro Channel / Focusrite Voicemaster Pro / Aphex 107

Check out my work at www.onebigroom.co.za

JazzSinger
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 895
Re:ASIO4All - whats the point of it? 2010/10/26 10:56:59 (permalink)
wormser

Maybe I'm different, but for me I check out the interface I'm considering, ESPECIALLY the drivers.

A quick look on the manufacturer's website, or forums like this are all it takes...
I'm referring specifically to the people for which it doesn't give good performance and then who come here and other places and complain about it.
Yes, you ARE different! If it annoys you that people "come hear and complain", how will your "quick look on forums like this" bear any fruit if people DON'T come here and complain?

Anyway, I'm not here to troll; I tried it out this weekend and the results were unexpected!

I uninstalled ASIO4All and just ran on WDM. I then experienced playback dropouts on projects that had grown large whilst using ASIO4All. I reinstalled ASIO4All and the dropouts cleared.

So I have reinstalled ASIO4All and everything works again.

Clearly ASIO4All is not just simply a wrapper. There is something going on under the hood, goodness only knows what.

Well, I think I'm going to stop fiddling around now. I have two bands that want an album recorded by late January. I have a working rig, so I'm going to leave as is and just get to work.

Once again, thanks very much to all for the excellent info and help!
post edited by JazzSinger - 2010/10/26 11:01:08
JazzSinger
Re:ASIO4All - whats the point of it? 2010/10/26 11:09:29 (permalink)
By the way, ASIO4All picks up all WDM devices in its window and you can then record using multiple interfaces in Sonar.

...theoretically, that is.

I tried two interfaces at once (Edirol UA-25EX and Tascam US-1641) and had time shifts between the tracks created by the two devices.

I suppose it would be possible just to cut the time shifts manually. But I don't know what happens over longer recordings when the clocks in the two devices drift apart. Flanging effect?

H'm. Maybe I SHALL fiddle again. If this produces reasonable results over a 3-minute pop song, it would be a cheap way of getting even a greater number of live tracks.
FastBikerBoy
Forum Host
Re:ASIO4All - whats the point of it? 2010/10/26 11:15:20 (permalink)
You need to run the two interfaces from the same clock so if possible slave one of the other usually via something like ADAT. Having said that when I was using 2 interfaces running them clocked together via ADAT made my system very unstable.

As soon as I unplugged the digital link it all worked perfectly, including in time even though theoretically that wasn't possible. I must just have been lucky I guess......
JazzSinger
Re:ASIO4All - whats the point of it? 2010/10/26 11:21:24 (permalink)
Ah. Quick reply! My interfaces do not have ADAT, so I guess that's that.

OK, thanks!
post edited by JazzSinger - 2010/10/26 11:23:06
Bub
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7196
Re:ASIO4All - whats the point of it? 2010/10/26 11:37:04 (permalink)
wormser

Of course exceptions exist like when Microsoft introduces new operating systems.
Your great $400 interface that worked great with the current OS, Windows XP could easily be turned into a boat anchor when you move to Windows 7 x64.

Wait till more motherboards start using usb3. I've been reading some sound modules do not play well with it.

johnnyV
Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2677
Re:ASIO4All - whats the point of it? 2010/10/26 18:55:58 (permalink)
You know this thing about the two interfaces and the time drifting, kind of makes you wonder whats happening to "time" with one interface,,Hmmmm? Sometimes while recording a new track everything sound out of sync a tiny bit and I freak out. Hit the space bar and start again and it fine. Always wondered why. Bin doing that for me since Guitar Studio. I always write it off as the ghost in the machine. I guess thats why real studios have word clock masters.

Sonar X3e Studio - Waiting for Professional
 Scarlett 6i6
Yamaha Gear= 01v - NSM 10 - DTX 400 - MG82cx
Roland Gear= A 49- GR 50 - TR 505 - Boss pedals
Tascam Gear=  DR 40 - US1641 -
Mackie Gear= Mix 8 - SRM 350's 
i5 Z97 3.2GHZ quad 16 Gig RAM W 8.1  home build
Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

Karyn
Ma-Ma
  • Total Posts : 9200
Re:ASIO4All - whats the point of it? 2010/10/26 19:04:16 (permalink)
You will never get two independent clocks to stay in sync with each other. The manufactuering tollerances just won't allow it.
The only way to use two or more interfaces together is to have them both sync to a common (single) clock source.  That normally means word clock.

The same also applies to any digital equipment you connect to your system digitally. So if you have outboard hardware processors that have digital interfaces, ADAT, AES s/pdif then they must also be fed the common clock signal.

Mekashi Futo
Get 10% off all Waves plugins.
Current DAW.  i7-950, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, 12Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD, 2x2Tb HDD, nVidia GTX 260, Antec 1000W psu, Win7 64bit, Studio 192, Digimax FS, KRK RP8G2, Sonar Platinum

wormser
Re:ASIO4All - whats the point of it? 2010/10/26 22:59:53 (permalink)
JazzSinger

wormser

Maybe I'm different, but for me I check out the interface I'm considering, ESPECIALLY the drivers.

A quick look on the manufacturer's website, or forums like this are all it takes...
I'm referring specifically to the people for which it doesn't give good performance and then who come here and other places and complain about it.
Yes, you ARE different! If it annoys you that people "come hear and complain", how will your "quick look on forums like this" bear any fruit if people DON'T come here and complain?

Anyway, I'm not here to troll; I tried it out this weekend and the results were unexpected!

I uninstalled ASIO4All and just ran on WDM. I then experienced playback dropouts on projects that had grown large whilst using ASIO4All. I reinstalled ASIO4All and the dropouts cleared.

So I have reinstalled ASIO4All and everything works again.

Clearly ASIO4All is not just simply a wrapper. There is something going on under the hood, goodness only knows what.

Well, I think I'm going to stop fiddling around now. I have two bands that want an album recorded by late January. I have a working rig, so I'm going to leave as is and just get to work.

Once again, thanks very much to all for the excellent info and help!

I never said it "annoys me" that people come here and complain.
Those are your words not mine.
It just doesn't make sense to me to spend $300+ dollars on a professional level program and then use a sound card that requires a crutch to get it running.

Hey, if ASIO4ALL works for you, wonderful. You've solved your problem and can finish the album.

post edited by wormser - 2010/10/27 00:55:56
wormser
Re:ASIO4All - whats the point of it? 2010/10/26 23:02:02 (permalink)
Karyn

You will never get two independent clocks to stay in sync with each other. The manufactuering tollerances just won't allow it.
The only way to use two or more interfaces together is to have them both sync to a common (single) clock source.  That normally means word clock.

The same also applies to any digital equipment you connect to your system digitally. So if you have outboard hardware processors that have digital interfaces, ADAT, AES s/pdif then they must also be fed the common clock signal.

Bingo.....
Good post!
FastBikerBoy
Forum Host
Re:ASIO4All - whats the point of it? 2010/10/26 23:18:21 (permalink)
Karyn

I know that statement is totally correct but not so long ago I was using two interfaces that were very unstable while clock linked together (as in BSOD unstable) but when unlinked were far more stable and worked perfectly in time with no apparent timing link at all.

I know they shouldn't and it's supposedly impossible but they did. For the record they were a Alesis Multimix FW 12 and a TerraTec DMX 6fire 24/96 not even same manufacturers. Go figure........
JazzSinger
Re:ASIO4All - whats the point of it? 2010/10/27 06:09:35 (permalink)
Karyn

Depends on the precision required. I once recorded a continous 1 hour video shot using an old Sony Hi8 video recorder and recorded the sound digitally on a separate setup.
On mixdown I had perfect lip sync from beginning to end.

Multitrack needs totally perfect timing. I'm worried that in a 3-minute pop song, flanging may be heard.

Naturally a word clock/ADAT is the ideal, but my interfaces do not have that. Perhaps the s/pdif may work. The Tascam 1641 allows the user to select the external digital in as timing master, and I have an optical-to-electrical converter, so I can get the Edirol to work with the Tascam.

Its going to be an interesting weekend. I'm sure I'm not the only person needing more channels, so I'll post my results.

Edit: Thanks for the added info, FBB. Will try it the unconnected way, too.
post edited by JazzSinger - 2010/10/27 06:12:11
Karyn
Ma-Ma
  • Total Posts : 9200
Re:ASIO4All - whats the point of it? 2010/10/27 06:46:57 (permalink)
FBB

That is one of the hidden benefits of Firewire that people forget about when they post about how unstable it is on their system and USB is SO much better...

As I said in some other post recently, firewire was specificaly designed for transporting audio and video. If you connect two devices to a common firewire interface they will sync using the firewire as the clock source. If the drivers are written properly you'll not even know its happening...

Mekashi Futo
Get 10% off all Waves plugins.
Current DAW.  i7-950, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, 12Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD, 2x2Tb HDD, nVidia GTX 260, Antec 1000W psu, Win7 64bit, Studio 192, Digimax FS, KRK RP8G2, Sonar Platinum

maikii
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 525
Re:ASIO4All - whats the point of it? 2013/03/31 23:20:35 (permalink)
Wormser,

I doubt anyone uses a DAW has ever installed ASIO4ALL to save money on buying an audio interface. Most of us have multiple interfaces.

But picture this--flying on an airplane with a laptop, and no other audio hardware. One has Sonar installed on the laptop, and would like to do some work on it while flying. In that case, if the built-in card works better with Sonar with ASIO4All than without it, why not use it?

That doesn't make it a substitute for a professional sound card! And certainly cannot be used for recording.  But it has its uses.

(Yes, on that plane, if one had a small portable bus-powered USB interface, that would be better, but one might not have that with one.)

That said, I just got a new laptop with Win 8 Pro X64, and 16GB RAM, core i7 CPU, and SSD. In case I was ever to use it in such a situation, without any other audio hardware, I am wondering if it might be useful to install A4A, if that even would work on Win 8 64? (Anyone know?) Also, wondering if the built-in sound cards on laptops and their drivers (using the new WaveRT drivers), although of course still no substitute for a professional sound card, might work better in WaveRT mode without A4A, than in ASIO mode with it?  (In my old XP 32 laptop, the built in sound card only did MME, not WDM, and it definitely worked better ASIO with A4A. But I don't know if that is true with modern equipment and drivers.) Anyone know?

CJaysMusic

Yea, its the Hail Marry of sound card drivers. When all else fails, try ASIO4all.
Cj

LMAO...
Good one!

One thing I don't understand is, if people are paying $300+ for Sonar, Cubase, whatever, they should be at least well seasoned prosumer type users and more than likely professionals at some level.

So why would these same people want to use a $99.00 Soundblaster or some on board audio chipset instead of a dedicated professional or semi-professional audio card which will include proper low latency drivers?

It doesn't make sense to me.

It's like buying a BMW and then putting the cheapest tires Sears makes on it.

Clue me in because I just don't get it ?

wormser

post edited by maikii - 2013/03/31 23:37:23
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1