Author
parco
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 92
2013/08/08 07:26:13 (permalink)

Additional Wishlist for the following version of Sonar, whatever in X2b or X3

Except the wishlist that some people had mentioned before: 
http://forum.cakewalk.com/SONAR-X3-Wishlist-m2629986.aspx

And here is my wishlist to any coming versions of Sonar whatever the update x2b of x2 or just the x3, and some bugs need to be fixed too, it would be too hard to use without these added in:

1. Complete real clip blocks support inside each tracks, which really let us to create the empty clips.

2. A real individual audio wave editor window or view for each audio clips that come with the complete offline audio editing functions and tool bars, just like the one in Nuendo and Cubase.

3. A real individual midi keyboard lane window or view for each midi clips that come with the complete midi editing functions and tool bars, just like the one in Nuendo and Cubase.

4. The editable info bars whatever in the main project tracks window, audio editor window or midi keyboard lane window that always let us edit and fine tune the detail properties of every objects, just like the one in Nuendo and Cubase. (This is what WE ALWAYS NEED and NECESSARY, e.g. some times we have to fine tune and move some automation event points in to a very tiny free distance that too insensitive to be dragged by mouse) 

5. a complete midi batch functions that let us to edit a selected group of midi objects in a very handy and easy way, e.g. legato function, automation events value batch increase, batch decrease, value compression and expansion, value limitation, value equalization, time length adjustment, etc....

6. The FX slots that provided in post fader position of each tracks and buses in the mixer, that allow us to place some special VST plug-ins after the main final fader of each tracks and buses, e.g. custom dithering.

7. A preview switch that allow us to switch between different bit depths on fly when realtime playback, but not for offline fast bouncing, to let us instant listen that how would be the sounds like after downmix bounced out, so we don't have to listen to the results from bounced audio file outside of Sonar everytime. This is very useful, because sometimes the sounds result could be heard very different between 24bit and 16bit, e.g. the release tails of the strings.

8. A complete support for VST 3 and ASIO 2.4, and for Windows 8.1 and multi touch operation interface support.

9. Control room buses.

10. Total audio input meters, total midi input meters and audio buffer time usage meters which separated from the tracks, just like the one in the Cubase/Nuendo transportation toolbar.

11. Let us to config all the windows/views are dockable or all flowing around in Sonar main window.

12. Full scroll bars support in "INSPECTOR" that let us scroll the full track/bus even in a small size 19" monitor.

13. Auto classify the synths and FXs of plugins by their functions, PLEASE, so we won't feel too chaotic and headachy to search any synths or FXs if we have installed any large plugin libraries just like Waves.

14. Please do not always auto shutdown and turn on the andio engine easily again, please be stable, and let us to config when would the audio engine auto shutdown and turn on again.

15. And also, gapless audio engine also please, and more stabler audio engine please.

16. Please fix plenty and plenty of bugs in Sonar X2/X2a, Until now I still can feel Sonar is really still buggy.
e.g. One time I had created 1 midi track and 1 audio track for piano arrangement, and 1 more midi track and several more audio tracks for string ens. When I had entered some midi notes into the piano midi lane, and copy the notes by several times in the same track, the notes are shown in one of the strings audio tracks in the different time location too! Yup! midi notes shown in a audio track!
Andalso when I recorded some midi notes into the string midi lane, I don't why it auto created another new midi track too and the same notes of the string midi track appeared in this strange created midi track in the different time location too.
Just a few little working step can make my whole Sonar project like a mess and a hell.

And there are so many bugs still in Sonar too, please fix them all too.

Any guys here get any other wishlist items and bug problems wanna share here?
post edited by parco - 2013/08/08 07:45:24

23 Replies Related Threads

brconflict
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1891
    Re: Additional Wishlist for the following version of Sonar, whatever in X2b or X3 2013/08/08 12:04:33 (permalink)
    My gut tells me we're probably too late to request new features for the next version, but it certainly doesn't stop us from trying. I added this to another thread. If the FX bin wants to sit in the ProChannel, this is what I'd like to see:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/FX-chains-question-m2868545.aspx (read my post in this thread to the left.)

Brian

Sonar Platinum, Steinberg Wavelab Pro 9, MOTU 24CoreIO w/ low-slew OP-AMP mods and BLA external clock, True P8, Audient ASP008, API 512c, Chandler Germ500, Summit 2ba-221, GAP Pre-73, Peluso 22251, Peluso 2247LE, Mackie HR824, Polk Audio SRS-SDA 2.3tl w/upgraded Soniccraft crossovers and Goertz cables, powered by Pass-X350. All wiring Star-Quad XLR or Monster Cable. Power by Monster Power Signature AVS2000 voltage stabilizer and Signature Pro Power 5100 PowerCenter on a 20A isolation shielded circuit.
    simpleman
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 262
    Re: Additional Wishlist for the following version of Sonar, whatever in X2b or X3 2013/08/08 12:54:05 (permalink)
    And, The ultimate WISHLIST:
    When you hit the launch icon/button to start Sonar; Instead--Up POPS cubase/nuendo--like MAGIC!
    parco
    Re: Additional Wishlist for the following version of Sonar, whatever in X2b or X3 2013/08/09 06:07:06 (permalink)
    brconflict
    My gut tells me we're probably too late to request new features for the next version, but it certainly doesn't stop us from trying. I added this to another thread. If the FX bin wants to sit in the ProChannel, this is what I'd like to see:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/FX-chains-question-m2868545.aspx (read my post in this thread to the left.)

Haha, still not too late, because even now Cakewalk have still not announced any news that what would they plan for X2b or X3. So they still have enough time to think about our wishlist requests by now. What we have to do is just discuss more and bump the wishlist posts up to top between every appropriate time.

And I think you may had misunderstood my meaning of "post-fader FX". All I meant was that insert FX plugin effects that be processed at the end of signal flow of every tracks and buses. And I was not meaning the Pro Channel which just after the FX only.

And This the example of the Post-fader FX slots of Cubase, the "i7" and "i8" with the color of yellow:

cryophonik
    Max Output Level: -28 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4724
    Re: Additional Wishlist for the following version of Sonar, whatever in X2b or X3 2013/08/09 12:19:44 (permalink)
    A few things I'd like to see:

- drop V-Vocal and give us support for Melodyne ARA instead.

- easier note assignments for the step sequencer and the ability to save note/row assignments as presets.  For example, when I insert a drum instrument (e.g., Battery 4, Nerve, Tremor), I have to go through and first assign the correct number of rows, then reassign the note assignments in each row to the corresponding pads on the drum instrument.  It would be nice if I had the option to save those assignments as presets (without using drum maps).  Also, it would be nice to be able to e.g., hold down the CTRL key when assigning a note and have all the other rows assign their notes incrementally such that they are all one note assignment apart in ascending order.

- option to buy X3 as a bare-bones edition that has all the core functionality of Producer, but with no bundled VST/DXi plugins, instruments, loops, or V-Vocal (although with support for Melodyne ARA).

cryophonik   |   soundcloud  |   Facebook

Q6600 | GA-EP45-UD3P | Windows 7 64 | 8GB
    Access Virus Keyboard TI2 | Kurzweil PC3X | NI Maschine

icontakt
    Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4266
    Re: Additional Wishlist for the following version of Sonar, whatever in X2b or X3 2013/08/09 12:34:00 (permalink)
    cryophonik 
    - option to buy X3 as a bare-bones edition that has all the core functionality of Producer, but with no bundled VST/DXi plugins, instruments, loops, or V-Vocal (although with support for Melodyne ARA).

Very appealing to me. What would be the price?
    (But I guess ProChannel is still locked inside Sonar and can't be used in other daws...)

Tak T.

Primary Laptop: Core i7-4710MQ CPU, 16GB RAM, 7200RPM HDD, Windows 7 Home Premium OS (Japanese) x64 SP1
    Secondary Laptop: Core2 Duo CPU, 8GB RAM, 7200RPM HDD, Windows 7 Professional OS (Japanese) x64 SP1
    Audio Interface: iD14 (ASIO)
    Keyboard Controller/MIDI Interface: A-800PRO
    DAW: SONAR Platinum x64 (latest update installed)
    cryophonik
    Max Output Level: -28 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4724
    Re: Additional Wishlist for the following version of Sonar, whatever in X2b or X3 2013/08/09 13:14:38 (permalink)
    Jlien X
    cryophonik 

Very appealing to me. What would be the price?

Well, it would be free for me since I came up with the brilliant idea.  Everybody else pays $199 (gotta compete with Logic!).

cryophonik   |   soundcloud  |   Facebook

Q6600 | GA-EP45-UD3P | Windows 7 64 | 8GB
    Access Virus Keyboard TI2 | Kurzweil PC3X | NI Maschine

mmorgan
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 676
    Re: Additional Wishlist for the following version of Sonar, whatever in X2b or X3 2013/08/09 13:55:51 (permalink)
    I wish it were done and available...seriously ;-)

Regards,

Mike

Win8(64), Sonar X3e(64) w/ RME Fireface UFX.
    parco
    Re: Additional Wishlist for the following version of Sonar, whatever in X2b or X3 2013/08/10 09:34:42 (permalink)
    simpleman
    And, The ultimate WISHLIST:
    When you hit the launch icon/button to start Sonar; Instead--Up POPS cubase/nuendo--like MAGIC!

Nope, the audio engine of Sonar is good, especially the 64bit precision and MMCSS, and also the multi-threading engine, SSE engine, and buffering and caching engine.
    The output channels assignment and routing of synth/instruments are also better than the Steinberg's stuffs.

But somehow the working UI interface and professional industrial productive functions for users are really not enough, refer to the Steinberg's stuffs, some of them are even necessary, really, although the screen of Sonar look very like Pro Tools.

e.g.
    1: Creating empty clips is very important for our effective management, especially midi clip block looping, just copy and paste and paste in track view.

2 and 3: important for small screen management, unless you discriminate against the producer or musician with 17" - 19" 16:9 monitors.

4: THIS IS VERY important if you when you just want to adjust a automation event a very little bit that mouse is too insensitive to move it, unless Sonar just allow bastards to do noob works.

5: This is NECESSARY when you need to modify all the selected midi notes to auto connect together like legato in string ensemble tracks with some midi files your clients given to you. And you would have to compress the selected velocity values so their become less different. And vice versa for the expanding the selected velocity values. And also the automation events values limiter and adding/subtracting. Some professional big projects may get millions of midi notes, so just less arrangers would have time to individually edit every notes one by one in such large producing projects, wouldn't you think it would be just like a idiot to individually edit them with just a batch common logical change?

6. This is too ****ed to explain more here about that. And some people are too ****ed in audio engineering profession if they still need to ask why so important for post-fader FXs.

7. This is important for professional producers and engineers to perfectly discern how would their own audio products just made be if they offline bounce out their downmixed audio files,  without really offline bouncing everytime. It can save much more of production time for a really professional industrial audio productive software systems.

8.  VST3 had been discussed in this forum by some one else before. ASIO 2.4 is really nearly guaranteed gapless whatever in a slower machine. Winddows 8.1 is coming in this week so it's too mental to argue about this. And also multitouch monitors are one of the coming trend even for desktop monitors, now there are even some studios remote controll their sound devices and gears with their remote softwares and multitouch monitors, imagine when you push the faders in your monitor with all of your 10 fingers.

9. Provide producers more than 1 main master out bus without indiviually assigning the bus sending of each tracks/buses.

10. It is important for us to realtime metering the imput levels before creating any projects or any tracks in an empty project, to adjust and fine tune our gears much earlier before our clients come.

11 & 12. similer to 2 and 3, important for small screen management, unless you discriminate against the producer or musician with 17" - 19" 16:9 monitors.

13. Don't you think it spend too long time to search for a suitable FX if you are a big customer of Waves?

14. Some time Sonar would crash to be switching on and off inside a very short time if Sonar or your systems got some bugs that is still not stable enough.

Certainly Sonar now look really like Protools now somehow. But why don't just keep claim and consider to absorb and add all or some of such those professionally useful items if they are possible and Sonar really want to fight for more larger marketing shares of all beginner users, advanced users, semi professional users and international high end professional industrial producers, and win the competition in a long distance against Pro Tools, Nuendo and Cubase, to lead the market, at least in Windows systems market?

Just like the partner of Sonar - Microsoft. MS can still win Mac, Linux and even Android in this way, by absorbing and adding all the useful and important functions of competitors. Still why Sonar can't? Can it be Sonar really don't want to lead the market?
    Just keep claim and think about it.  And don't just tell people to use others and give up the markets that Sonar deserve.
    parco
    Re: Additional Wishlist for the following version of Sonar, whatever in X2b or X3 2013/08/11 05:27:48 (permalink)
    Example of 1 (Creating empty clips) in Cubase:

Example of 2 (Individual audio editor window/view) in Cubase:

Example of 3 (individual keyboard notes editor window/view) in Cubase:

Example of 4 (Editable info bars) in Cubase (inside the red rounded rectangle):
    info bar in track view

info bar in audio editor or keyboard notes editor

Example in 5 (a complete midi batch functions) in Cubase (inside the red rounded rectangles):

Example of 10 (Total audio input meters, total midi input meters and audio buffer time usage meters) in Cubase (inside the red rounded rectangles):
    a. CPU load (audio buffer time usage) and Disk Cashing meters
    b. total hardware midi input and total midi output meters
    c. Total hardware audio input and output meters

Example of 13 (auto classify the synths and FXs of plugins by their functions) in Cubase:

parco
    Re: Additional Wishlist for the following version of Sonar, whatever in X2b or X3 2013/08/17 13:28:37 (permalink)
    Bump
    sachink70
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11
    Re: Additional Wishlist for the following version of Sonar, whatever in X2b or X3 2013/08/30 12:15:30 (permalink)
    On the fly option to change the pitch of clip

parco
    Re: Additional Wishlist for the following version of Sonar, whatever in X2b or X3 2013/09/01 03:37:11 (permalink)
    sa****70
    On the fly option to change the pitch of clip

And also a much more convenient way to group drag and move all the keyboard notes, tempo events, velocities and all the automation events too please.
    Bruce
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re: Additional Wishlist for the following version of Sonar, whatever in X2b or X3 2013/09/02 16:08:39 (permalink)
    Biggest things I’d like to see simplified in Sonar X3:
    -        Ability to adjust tempo of both audio and midi with one knob (like in Reason 7).   
    -        A conductor track for tempo, key signature, etc. that works like the automation lanes aligned with the tracks, (like in PT and Reason); not the separate tempo window.
    -        Ability to easily assign midi controllers by right click and moving a knob, and simply add a midi controller with a picture and it “just works” (like in Reason). I’ve given up on ACT. 
    -        Decent staff notation, ‘nuff said. 
    -        One grid in the mixer across all tracks for FX, sends, instruments, etc. (like in PT and Reason mixers).  Not a fan of the Prochannel layout and having the various layout options gets visually complicated.  If I could use the prochannel modules in the FX bin, that might work, selecting and item give a large popout to dial it in.

I keep coming back to Cake because it’s simple, but always get hung up on workflow due to the items above. I use Reason but hate it doesn’t have a simple solution for software VSTs (yes I’m aware of virtual audio cable workarounds)… I’m sticking with my NI Komplete, Maschine, Spectrosonics, Project Sam, etc. instruments and not buying all new “Rack Extensions”, thank you!  PT 11 is still too complicated for me (but maybe I haven’t invested the time).

So I wish Cake would focus on these “meat and potato” items, and spend less time on more “free” VST instruments, “content clubs,” etc.  I wouldn’t feel so bad about paying for the upgrades. Hope this helps... OK, back to work!
    bapu
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re: Additional Wishlist for the following version of Sonar, whatever in X2b or X3 2013/09/02 16:17:40 (permalink)
    parco
    Haha, still not too late, because even now Cakewalk have still not announced any news that what would they plan for X2b or X3. So they still have enough time to think about our wishlist requests by now. 

Oh to be young and/or naive.

You may not be aware of this but CW has never, to my recollection, ever announced what they had planned for ANY release. You find out what they had planned when it is released. Never before.
    Paul P
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2685
    Re: Additional Wishlist for the following version of Sonar, whatever in X2b or X3 2013/09/02 22:03:12 (permalink)
    I'd like to be able to adjust tempo during playback.
    It's pretty archaic to have to stop the transport, guess at a new tempo, restart playback, etc., etc.

Sonar Platinum [2017.10], Win7U x64 sp1, Xeon E5-1620 3.6 GHz, Asus P9X79WS, 16 GB ECC, 128gb SSD, HD7950, Mackie Blackjack
    stevec
    • Total Posts : 11546
    Re: Additional Wishlist for the following version of Sonar, whatever in X2b or X3 2013/09/02 22:39:39 (permalink)
    Paul P
    I'd like to be able to adjust tempo during playback.
    It's pretty archaic to have to stop the transport, guess at a new tempo, restart playback, etc., etc.

I'd like a varispeed like function too, if that's what you mean. 

SteveC
    https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
    Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
    Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

Paul P
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2685
    Re: Additional Wishlist for the following version of Sonar, whatever in X2b or X3 2013/09/02 23:54:09 (permalink)
    stevec

Varispeed works on audio too, doesn't it ?

I'd be happy with it working just with midi, though audio would be nice too.  It's strange to adjust the tempo value during playback (of midi stuff) and nothing changes until you stop and restart.

Sonar Platinum [2017.10], Win7U x64 sp1, Xeon E5-1620 3.6 GHz, Asus P9X79WS, 16 GB ECC, 128gb SSD, HD7950, Mackie Blackjack
    DanaMartin21
    • Total Posts : 16
    Re: Additional Wishlist for the following version of Sonar, whatever in X2b or X3 2013/09/03 09:42:45 (permalink)
    Global screensets?
    brconflict
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1891
    Re: Additional Wishlist for the following version of Sonar, whatever in X2b or X3 2013/09/03 11:16:05 (permalink)
    Personally, I've lost interest. Someone please wake me up when X3 or whatever comes out. I'm on hiatus 'till then. (EDIT: I'm on hiatus of concerning myself with what's next. I've given up on Cakewalk at this point, but I'm here to help others, if I see something I can help with.)
    post edited by brconflict - 2013/09/03 12:39:04

Brian

Sonar Platinum, Steinberg Wavelab Pro 9, MOTU 24CoreIO w/ low-slew OP-AMP mods and BLA external clock, True P8, Audient ASP008, API 512c, Chandler Germ500, Summit 2ba-221, GAP Pre-73, Peluso 22251, Peluso 2247LE, Mackie HR824, Polk Audio SRS-SDA 2.3tl w/upgraded Soniccraft crossovers and Goertz cables, powered by Pass-X350. All wiring Star-Quad XLR or Monster Cable. Power by Monster Power Signature AVS2000 voltage stabilizer and Signature Pro Power 5100 PowerCenter on a 20A isolation shielded circuit.
    parco
    Re: Additional Wishlist for the following version of Sonar, whatever in X2b or X3 2013/09/05 03:07:51 (permalink)
    Paul P
    stevec

Varispeed works on audio too, doesn't it ?

I'd be happy with it working just with midi, though audio would be nice too.  It's strange to adjust the tempo value during playback (of midi stuff) and nothing changes until you stop and restart.

Varispeed audio? would it really be possible?
    Skyline_UK
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2133
    Re: Additional Wishlist for the following version of Sonar, whatever in X2b or X3 2013/09/05 03:41:19 (permalink)
    bapu
    parco
    Haha, still not too late, because even now Cakewalk have still not announced any news that what would they plan for X2b or X3. So they still have enough time to think about our wishlist requests by now. 

You may not be aware of this but CW has never, to my recollection, ever announced what they had planned for ANY release. You find out what they had planned when it is released. Never before.

+1.
    And X3 must be in the final stages of Beta at the moment.  It'll be released very soon, so save your energy guys.

My stuff

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600 @ 3.4GHz, 4 cores, 8 threads, 16GB RAM.
    OS & Programs drive: 240GB SSD
    Data drives: 1 x 1TB drive RAID mirrored, plus extra 1TB data drive 
    Windows 10 Home 64 bit
    Cakewalk by BandLab 64 bit, Studio One 3, 
    Band In A Box 2016, Ozone 8
    + too many other plugins
    BandLab page
    parco
    Re: Additional Wishlist for the following version of Sonar, whatever in X2b or X3 2013/09/05 03:57:29 (permalink)
    Skyline_UK
    bapu
    parco

+1.
    And X3 must be in the final stages of Beta at the moment.  It'll be released very soon, so save your energy guys.

and saving money that not pay for Cakewalk anymore as well?
    stevec
    • Total Posts : 11546
    Re: Additional Wishlist for the following version of Sonar, whatever in X2b or X3 2013/09/05 14:26:44 (permalink)
    parco
    and saving money that not pay for Cakewalk anymore as well?

Nope.  I'm fairly certain I'll be spending, at least when the initial smoke clears (as always).   

SteveC
    https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
    Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
    Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1