Adjust Video Start time

Author
ULTRABRA
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 484
2014/05/22 03:44:15 (permalink)

Adjust Video Start time

I have added a video to a Sonar project.  I want to adjust its start time via Video Properties, but this is greyed out.   I changed the aud.ini file to:

[Video]
VideoEngine=0

... this was supposed fix the issue (according to Sonar Help file), but nothing has changed.
Anyone know what I should do next?

HP Z420, Intel Xeon E5-1620@ 3600MHz, 8GB RAM,  Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, Soundcard : Focusrite Saffire 24, & Sonar : Producer X3    
My Soundcloud

29 Replies Related Threads

ULTRABRA
    Re: Adjust Video Start time 2014/05/23 02:19:31 (permalink)
    Just a little bump for this.   As it looks, importing video into Sonar X3 is only possible if the video is right at the start, Bar 1, Beat 1.  Can that really be?  Has anyone experience of this?

HP Z420, Intel Xeon E5-1620@ 3600MHz, 8GB RAM,  Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, Soundcard : Focusrite Saffire 24, & Sonar : Producer X3    
    My Soundcloud
    Jackdied
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 99
    Re: Adjust Video Start time 2014/05/23 03:00:14 (permalink)
    ULTRABRA
    Re: Adjust Video Start time 2014/05/23 05:25:24 (permalink)
    Yes, that's the help file I mentioned in my post, so I had been there and done exactly that. But the video engine is still not changing.   Its not possible to move the video clip either by dragging it.
    Are others doing this and getting it to work?

post edited by ULTRABRA - 2014/05/23 05:47:16

My Soundcloud
    Jimbo 88
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1828
    Re: Adjust Video Start time 2014/05/23 10:31:03 (permalink)
    I get it to work all the time.  Even tho I work 100+ hours a week in Sonar and with video I'm not real good at trouble shooting.  The reason why is I usually focus on what I'm trying to accomplish, which is composing music. I push buttons until something works and move on, not really thinking about how I got there.

I'm not really sure I'm correct about what you are trying to do...yes, bar 1 beat 1 is always the beginning,  but you can input another SYMPTE time to start Sonar later in the Video.  You can't move or drag the Video, but you certainly can sync Sonar to anywhere in the video.  Don't you always want the beginning of the music to start at Beat 1 bar 1?

Perhaps you are using a Pic file format that does not function fully in Sonar.  I turn all my videos from clients into AVI files, get to work and think little about anything else except the music.  

this is outdated due to X3's new video engine, but maybe this helps you...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh9Ico1HgC0

Good luck

Cakewalk By Bandlab
    Cubase 9.5 Pro
    Windows 7 64 Bit   Core i7-8700   32 Gig Ram 3.20ghz  
    RME Fireface 400 Audio Card
    Behringer FCA 1616
    Sweetwater Creation Station

ULTRABRA
    Re: Adjust Video Start time 2014/05/23 11:57:06 (permalink)
    Thanks for that - interesting video.

I need the video to start after beat 1 bar 1 becuase the music I have made is longer than the film it should fit too, so I need to edit the first section. Even in that video link you gave, the user there adds a 10 second buffer from the start of the Sonar file to the start of the film, for various reasons. The fact that with this upgrade I'm struggling to do that basic thing is ... well .. frustrating.

My Soundcloud
    rbowser
    Max Output Level: -10 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6518
    Re: Adjust Video Start time 2014/05/23 12:08:41 (permalink)
    ULTRABRA...I need the video to start after beat 1 bar 1...

Are you saying it no longer works to right click over the video display and just type in the later start time you want for the vid?  That's always been a very simple 2 second operation in previous versions of Cakewalk.

RB

Sonar X3e Studio
    Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
    8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
    with dual monitors
    Jimbo 88
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1828
    Re: Adjust Video Start time 2014/05/23 12:49:43 (permalink)
    OK...got it.  Nope,  I can not get that to happen either.  I can get Sonar to start later in the video,  But I can not get the video to start later in Sonar.   I tried tricking the program by putting in a One hour offset in Sonar and then starting at :00:59:50:00,  but it did not change the start time of the video.  

So I suggest grabbing a video editing program and add time on the front of your video.  QuickTime Pro, Vegas, Windows Movie Maker all can do this....

If you are going to do any audio for video, you will want to have one of these programs around anyway.  This situation is just one of many you might encounter.  Having a video editing program to fix simple problems is a must-have.   

Cakewalk By Bandlab
    Cubase 9.5 Pro
    Windows 7 64 Bit   Core i7-8700   32 Gig Ram 3.20ghz  
    RME Fireface 400 Audio Card
    Behringer FCA 1616
    Sweetwater Creation Station

ULTRABRA
    Re: Adjust Video Start time 2014/05/24 03:04:12 (permalink)
    Thanks for the suggestions.   In this case, I don't need to edit the video at all, I only want to shift its start time.   Doing this in Moviemaker for example is possible but not as easy as just moving it on the timeline in my Sonar project.

What I still don't get is why the change in the aud.ini file as instructed on the Sonar Help file, did not work (its supposed to revert the video engine to the old version so I can drag the video on the timeline) ... and also why its not possible to move the video in a supposedly upgraded version of the video engine.  

My Soundcloud
    rbowser
    Re: Adjust Video Start time 2014/05/24 13:46:19 (permalink)
    ULTRABRA...What I still don't get is why the change in the aud.ini file as instructed on the Sonar Help file, did not work (its supposed to revert the video engine to the old version so I can drag the video on the timeline) ... and also why its not possible to move the video in a supposedly upgraded version of the video engine.  

This is a total bummer.  X3 is still new enough to me (recently upgraded from 8.5) that I hadn't tried video yet.  It's a mess!  WHY isn't the time offset available with this supposedly better video engine?

I did the simple ini file edit to revert to the old video engine.  OK, that made the offset available again - but for me, Sonar can't handle it after testing the offset.  I could see that the vid was indeed being delayed for the one second I typed into the pop-up - but two issues:

--Sonar crashes - over and over in each test I've tried this morning.  Can't make it work.  Straight video with no offset is playing fine, but not with the offset.

--Briefly, before Sonar crashes, the video would play for a few seconds, and the video and audio were totally out of sync, like only the video had been offset and not the audio.   But instantly after seeing that, I get the white screen of doom and Sonar tanks.

NOTE TO ULTRABRA:  You never could "drag the video in the timeline" - But you could offset the start time.

This all worked PERFECTLY in Sonar 8.5. -- Damnit but my list of "reasons to go back to 8.5" is growing instead of shrinking like I'd hoped it would.

RB

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    ULTRABRA
    Re: Adjust Video Start time 2014/05/24 15:06:53 (permalink)
    thanks for the reply. the link above from jackdied shows that video is supposed to be draggable to a new start point (in the new video engine as I understand it) - but it doesn't work for me.
    but you got the aud.ini file change to work? i didn't. how did you do it, maybe I missed something?

My Soundcloud
    rbowser
    Re: Adjust Video Start time 2014/05/24 16:00:33 (permalink)
    ULTRABRA
    thanks for the reply. the link above from jackdied shows that video is supposed to be draggable to a new start point (in the new video engine as I understand it) - but it doesn't work for me.
    but you got the aud.ini file change to work? i didn't. how did you do it, maybe I missed something?

I just used the same code as you posted in the first post of this thread - That code is confirmed in the "read me" Sonar file.  But post #3 here indicates changing the start time is only available with the old DirectShow engine.  Hmmm.  I can't run more tests at the moment, but I will later.

And remember, I got the offset to work with that code, except for the major factor that Sonar crashed, making it unusable.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    rbowser
    Re: Adjust Video Start time 2014/05/24 20:24:50 (permalink)
    ULTRABRA...video is supposed to be draggable to a new start point (in the new video engine as I understand it)...

I experimented again, Ultrabra - Video IS draggable, but not in the new video engine.  That Cakewalk page linked to is a bit confusing because it says that with the new engine, start time can't be changed, but then it goes about showing you how to drag and change the start time - Well, what they mean is that after changing that INI file so the video engine is set to the old one, "0," then with the Move Tool, you can grab the video's new header, the bit above the video thumbnails that you have to turn on since it's off my default, and move the clip to the right.  You have to move the soundtrack separately, it doesn't move with the clip, so you just line up its start time to the video's new start point.

BUT - even though I got all that to work, Sonar crashes soon after I try to play the project with the time offset in place.

Isn't it odd though - the new video engine has this list of new wonderful attributes, - but you can't change its start point anymore.  At least they give you the option to edit the Configuration file, go back to the previous engine, and have start time available.

It must be something off on my computer that's making Sonar crash - Do the steps again, they work - hopefully you won't have your Sonar crash.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    Roger More
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14
    Re: Adjust Video Start time 2014/06/17 23:33:10 (permalink)
    Just want to throw my 2 cents in. After using Sonar for years I finally needed to use it for video. I spent a *lot* of time scratching my head with this problem until I realized, duh, Sonar is just broken. It makes zero sense to invest programming hours in a new video engine when the most basic operation is impossible.
    rbowser
    Re: Adjust Video Start time 2014/06/18 00:00:51 (permalink)
    Roger More
    Just want to throw my 2 cents in. After using Sonar for years I finally needed to use it for video. I spent a *lot* of time scratching my head with this problem until I realized, duh, Sonar is just broken...

Roger, did you try going back to the old video engine, as in my last post?  If so, did Sonar remain stable after you'd dragged the start time of the video, or did it crash like in my experiment?

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    StepD
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 594
    Re: Adjust Video Start time 2014/06/18 02:01:58 (permalink)
    rbowser

Roger, did you try going back to the old video engine, as in my last post?  If so, did Sonar remain stable after you'd dragged the start time of the video, or did it crash like in my experiment?

Randy B.

fyi, it works as expected here with no crashing. I tested with an uncompressed avi, though, so it's possible it may be more touchy with certain codecs.

Core2 6600 2.40 GHz, ASUS P5B Deluxe, 8GB RAM, GeForce GT 630 2GB, 3 Seagate Sata, Echo AudioFire 4 asio, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab
    djoni
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1974
    Re: Adjust Video Start time 2014/06/19 04:16:16 (permalink)
    Start time is greyed out here too. This is very bad news as I use this parameter all the time to sync video in my projects.
    Any fixes?

Ekaya Productions

Sonar Platinum, Intel - 6 Core i7 overclocked 4.5GHz with HT 12meg cache w/ 32GB RAM, UAD-2 QUAD & OCTO, Tascam DM-4800, 1xMackie CU & 2xExtenders...
    wizard71
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 836
    Re: Adjust Video Start time 2014/06/19 12:33:32 (permalink)
    For me it's pointless if the start time cannot be adjusted. Maybe there is a valid reason, hopefully one of the bakers will stop by to comment.

http://www.youtube.com/SpaceTimeAces
    https://soundcloud.com/space-time-aces
    Sonar Platinum - Win 8.1 x64 - Haswell 4770k - ASrock Z87 pro3 - 32gb ram - Fractal design R4 case - 3x HDD 1 USB 2.0 external 1x cr M4 ssd for samples - Octa-capture - Sontronics Aria - Sontronics STC-1s - BX8 monitors - ARC 2 system - Kawai CA63 piano - Kawai MP6 Stage piano - Fender custom Telecaster FMT - Yamaha LL6 - Fender P bass

scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Adjust Video Start time 2014/06/19 12:49:51 (permalink)
    There were several lengthy threads when X3d was released like this one http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/2953862 . The link points to a list of questions near the end of the thread, Noel answers a few posts later.
    wizard71
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 836
    Re: Adjust Video Start time 2014/06/19 13:09:21 (permalink)
    Thanks Scook!
    This quote from Noel answers the questions posed

Hi folks,

To clarify it isn't that we don't know what your requirements are. Its a complex scenario since we have to work around some of the inherent limitations/bugs in the platform (Windows). There are a lot of moving parts to video streaming technology and a lot of it resides in OS components. Most of the issues listed above have been reported to Microsoft and we're working on addressing some of them, hopefully for the next update if they are solvable in time. The first goal with this release was to get the new engine in place and handle the newer formats. We'll improve it as we go along.

>>5.  You can't undo if you cut too much from the front.   You have to reload.
    You can reset the video to defaults by going into the video properties page and clicking the reset button.

>>4.  Video only starts at bar 1
    Limitation in Media foundation that we are working on trying to eliminate. 

>>2.  you cannot select audio(ie dialogue/sfx) and video and move them together
    That would be useful obviously but requires a mechanism to lock/group video and audio. Its really a full feature. Well consider it for a future version.

>>7.  Known bug in media foundation with trimming videos. We will try and work with Microsoft on resolving this.

http://www.youtube.com/SpaceTimeAces
    https://soundcloud.com/space-time-aces
    Sonar Platinum - Win 8.1 x64 - Haswell 4770k - ASrock Z87 pro3 - 32gb ram - Fractal design R4 case - 3x HDD 1 USB 2.0 external 1x cr M4 ssd for samples - Octa-capture - Sontronics Aria - Sontronics STC-1s - BX8 monitors - ARC 2 system - Kawai CA63 piano - Kawai MP6 Stage piano - Fender custom Telecaster FMT - Yamaha LL6 - Fender P bass

djoni
    Re: Adjust Video Start time 2014/06/19 14:31:39 (permalink)
    ;-(

Ekaya Productions

Sonar Platinum, Intel - 6 Core i7 overclocked 4.5GHz with HT 12meg cache w/ 32GB RAM, UAD-2 QUAD & OCTO, Tascam DM-4800, 1xMackie CU & 2xExtenders...
    rbowser
    Re: Adjust Video Start time 2014/06/19 14:37:29 (permalink)
    djoni
    ;-(

But you understand if you go back to the pre-X3 video engine, you can adjust the start time.  Usually, though, adjusting the start time isn't needed, since you're wanting to score to how the video exists without being offset.
    RB

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    Anderton
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: Adjust Video Start time 2014/06/19 15:00:09 (permalink)
    rbowser

But you understand if you go back to the pre-X3 video engine, you can adjust the start time. 

This reminds me of those situations where you keep your old OS around on a removable drive so you can run the programs that haven't been updated yet for your new OS until they are...

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    djoni
    Re: Adjust Video Start time 2014/06/19 15:39:33 (permalink)
    Not all the time RB.
    Main  reason: I like to have at least one empty bar before anything begins...
    or I might want the video to start later in the music...

rbowser
    djoni
    ;-(

But you understand if you go back to the pre-X3 video engine, you can adjust the start time.  Usually, though, adjusting the start time isn't needed, since you're wanting to score to how the video exists without being offset.
    RB

Ekaya Productions

rbowser
    Re: Adjust Video Start time 2014/06/19 15:46:06 (permalink)
    djoniNot all the time RB...

Right, I understand - Sometimes you're not scoring to a video as it will exist in its final form.

Have you tried dialing back to the pre-X3 video engine?  That's what people used in Sonar for years, and they got the work done.  You can change the start time with that old engine.

RB

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    Matt
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 346
    Re: Adjust Video Start time 2015/01/25 19:05:07 (permalink)
    Is this fixed in the new Sonar??  I just went to change the start time of my video which is something I used to do ALL THE TIME and it's greyed out, I really need this feature right now. 
    tnipe
    • Total Posts : 91
    Re: Adjust Video Start time 2017/07/24 19:02:48 (permalink)
    Bump for this one! Would be great to have a fix 
    Anderton
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: Adjust Video Start time 2017/07/24 19:16:27 (permalink)
    You can change the start time, depending on format and which video engine you're using. Currently, this works with formats that are native to Windows, but not MP4. The videos I use in SONAR are scratch videos because it's all I need to compose to picture; if I'm given an MP4, I just convert to a Windows format and concentrate on writing the soundtrack.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    tnipe
    • Total Posts : 91
    Re: Adjust Video Start time 2017/07/25 12:57:22 (permalink)
    Thanks for the help, it is indeed a mp4 file...
    Keni
    Max Output Level: -17.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5769
    Re: Adjust Video Start time 2017/07/25 17:47:53 (permalink)
    Yes... i found converting to wmv before impirting seems to have everything working.

I just finished a dozen videos with little effort.

Biggest problem for me is understanding and adjusting to get the output file i want...

Keni Fink
    Keni - Facebook
    Deep Space Records
    http://www.reverbnation.com/inexile
    http://www.cdbaby.com/artist/inexile
    Out Of My Head Music (BMI)

SPlat/MacPro/Dual Xeon 3.06GHz 6-core (12 total)/64GB/Win8.1X64/Presonus 1818VSL/Soundscape SS8IO-1
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1