African Dance Tune by IJenNeh-3rd attempt to mix instruments

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Beagle
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 50621
Re:African Dance Tune by IJenNeh-3rd attempt to mix instruments 2010/08/09 23:17:34 (permalink)
Karalie and IJenNeh  - this is just fantastic!  I agree with others about the ambience and I agree that the kick could use some "oomph" as well.  otherwise, I just love this!  great job!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
Chappel
Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2300
Re:African Dance Tune by IJenNeh-3rd attempt to mix instruments 2010/08/10 00:39:11 (permalink)
Pretty awesome recording. Whatever you're doing, keep doing it.
Freddy J
Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2348
Re:African Dance Tune by IJenNeh-3rd attempt to mix instruments 2010/08/10 11:49:49 (permalink)
I will join the course of comments on this song. I love this!  I am an absolute nut for this wonderfully rhythmic music.

Freddy J
Philip
Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4062
Re:African Dance Tune by IJenNeh-3rd attempt to mix instruments 2010/08/11 22:28:51 (permalink)
Joy (7 y/o) states this is tropical music.

Exuberant, down-to-earth, perfectly recorded, IMHO.  Vox harmonies build up to a heavenly histeria ... strong female voices might even take this up a notch higher!

... very loving and authentic.  Caleb asks are the drums synth or live?  (Caleb and I have sung many Haitian songs ... which are slightly more 'clappish')

Title/message is also excellent.  The song may become a cultural fav for eternities if the lyrics are as simple as I hope.

EDIT:
JonBouy has a valid point, IMHO.  But the clarity of the song must not be compromised ... since the rhythm punches and lead vox are perfectly orchestrated and mastered to the hilt.

My joyful solution to JonBouy's hypothesis might be

1) to invite/increment more vocs into the song after the 1st verse (which would possibly happen in African culture anyway).  Such multi-vox ambience has a way of knitting things together and glorifying God ... as human church folk crave.
(E.g., your backing vox, African females, children vocs, Western choirs, EWQLS choirs, more of the backing harmonies that you already have, or whatever)

2) Of course the Haitian way would be to add many human claps with different beats and counters. 
(E.g., Sonar Beatscape has many such claps)

3) Or, increment some other rhythmic pad element (ambient shakers, tambs, cymbs, or whatever)  (E.g., Sonar beatscape)

Again, none of my solutions seem necessary ... as this song sketch feels extremely fresh, vibrant, and perfect, to my ears. 
post edited by Philip - 2010/08/11 22:58:47

Philip  
(Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
rolifer@verizon.net
Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1676
Re:African Dance Tune by IJenNeh-3rd attempt to mix instruments 2010/08/13 12:39:07 (permalink)
I Always love these upbeat little pieces the 2 of you put out.

When the higher singers do the  back up, they do sound a little like they are in a different space then the lead singer. I think it would help a lot if you moved them a little more left in the mix.

Nice piece

Ron

Alegria
Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2075
Re:African Dance Tune by IJenNeh-3rd attempt to mix instruments 2010/08/13 12:51:30 (permalink)
Hi Karalie and IJenNeh,

Easy listening. A definite festive vibe. Great vocals and harmonies. Mix sounds crystal clear in the cans (ATH M50). Bravo for an excellent production overall!

Acabwayla!

Regards,
jc

Slow Marching Band
Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1603
Re:African Dance Tune by IJenNeh-3rd attempt to mix instruments 2010/08/14 14:55:55 (permalink)
Oh yeah! Very energetic, happy, and uplifting, all rolled into one!

Your songs are always a pleasure to hear..never boring! Tons of heart-felt, emotional, content.

I liked this one very, very much.

Larry
jfstudio1
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 456
Re:African Dance Tune by IJenNeh-3rd attempt to mix instruments 2010/08/15 01:37:25 (permalink)
Hi Karalie
I Know this Style because my country has great relations with Africa
Great Harmonies on vocals.
 The Drums sounds 80% ,with real drums you have another feeling:)
I Love this Beautiful Song.
makes me feel Happy,  Let's dance.........

http://www.myspace.com/jfeitor

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=747192

Project5V2.5,MusicCreator4,WinVista,XiFI,MixYamaha,
Korg , Fender Strats, Takamine,Amps:Marshall,Fender Deluxe Rev1965,
karalie7@aol.com
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 712
Re:African Dance Tune by IJenNeh-3rd attempt to mix instruments 2010/08/15 03:15:38 (permalink)
Hi there everyone,
thanks for the excellent feedback and comments.

Phillip states "Caleb asks are the drums synth or live?"
the high hats & kick drum are session drummer which comes with Sonar. The african drums were recorded audio.

Ron states "When the higher singers do the  back up, they do sound a little like they are in a different space then the lead singer. I think it would help a lot if you moved them a little more left in the mix.
I have the backers pan to the left & right around 9,10,11,12. But I will address the backers in some way, possibly just bringing them in the mix more. I'll bring those baritone/bass singers in too. I might adjust the panning, panning them further away from the center.

JfStudio1 states " The Drums sounds 80% ,with real drums you have another feeling:)"
That would be so cool for a real drummer. Well, at least we have the real thing in the bass, guitar, percussion, vocals. Though I kinda like the fact the drum is midi since timing is not an issue then.

Before you can even start recording, you need an idea, something meaningful to you. After you get the idea you start arranging the music. You might try different things til you get something right. Our first version of this song is acappella and much slower.

See here:
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6537288
The mix is a bit shakey. You just have to keep trying til you get it right. I still like this version.

I also like this live version of Acabwayla. You might want to forward it a bit since people were talking in the beginning. IJenNeh's vocals seem huge in this school cafeteria.
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IAljTNee24

You are all so great here on the Sonar Forum. Thanks for sharing your ideas and thoughts. Blessings.

post edited by karalie7@aol.com - 2010/08/15 03:19:01
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1