African Dance Tune by IJenNeh-3rd attempt to mix instruments

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
karalie7@aol.com
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 712
2010/08/03 22:15:59 (permalink)

African Dance Tune by IJenNeh-3rd attempt to mix instruments

Hi there, Sorry for not being around for awhile but we have been busy finishing up our new cd. Here is a tune from it. Acabwayla Dance Mix, any listens, feedbacks or comments are appreciated.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9482805

Many blessings Karalie & IJenNeh
post edited by karalie7@aol.com - 2010/08/05 01:16:26

38 Replies Related Threads

mikeinFL
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 536
    Re:Want to dance? African Dance Tune by IJenNeh 2010/08/04 00:57:41 (permalink)
    wow what great vocals in this african/carribean style song!  Really nice mix!  enjoyed it! thanks for listening to "Broken Dreams" mike
    karalie7@aol.com
    Re:Want to dance? African Dance Tune by IJenNeh 2010/08/04 02:37:09 (permalink)
    Hi Mike, thanks for the listen and kind words.
    radio
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2782
    Re:Want to dance? African Dance Tune by IJenNeh 2010/08/04 05:40:31 (permalink)

Hey Karalie this is a cool tune , your music is always very moving with great vocal tracks and percussion tracks .

Very nice , I always enjoy your music !
    James

Jonbouy
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 22562
    Re:Want to dance? African Dance Tune by IJenNeh 2010/08/04 07:36:34 (permalink)

An absolute slice of joy!

A minor nit is although the various vocal elements have been nicely prepared they sound a little like separately treated elements still, an excellent lead vocal and choir but they need to be tied together somehow a little more.

Not that it matters too much in the context of this completely excellent and uplifting piece.

Superb song.

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    karalie7@aol.com
    Re:Want to dance? African Dance Tune by IJenNeh 2010/08/05 01:19:26 (permalink)
    Hi James, thanks for the listen!

Jonbouy states"A minor nit is although the various vocal elements have been nicely prepared they sound a little like separately treated elements still, an excellent lead vocal and choir but they need to be tied together somehow a little more."

Any ideas out there on how to do this?

Thanks for the listen Jonbouy!!!!!!!!

jsykes
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 631
    Re:Want to dance? African Dance Tune by IJenNeh 2010/08/05 01:37:42 (permalink)
    karalie7@aol.com

Hi James, thanks for the listen!

Jonbouy states"A minor nit is although the various vocal elements have been nicely prepared they sound a little like separately treated elements still, an excellent lead vocal and choir but they need to be tied together somehow a little more."

Any ideas out there on how to do this?

Thanks for the listen Jonbouy!!!!!!!!

He may be referring to the difference in the reverb/decay. The lead seem to have more effect, while the choir sounds like they are standing beside me.

Sonar Homestudio XL
    Dell laptop
    Echo Layla
    Takamine EAN-15C
    Ibanez Artcore
    Electoharmonix, Digitech, Tubescreamer, AdrennaLinn
    Advice from forum members
    jsykes
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 631
    Re:Want to dance? African Dance Tune by IJenNeh 2010/08/05 01:40:10 (permalink)
    I thought I had already made this post but I got distracted:

I got turned on to African music by King Sunny Ade in the early 90s. I really enjoy this style.

The mix is crystal clear to my consumer ear, except for the abrupt ending, which may just be on this draft.

I am a fan now and shared this song on my facebook.

Sonar Homestudio XL
    Dell laptop
    Echo Layla
    Takamine EAN-15C
    Ibanez Artcore
    Electoharmonix, Digitech, Tubescreamer, AdrennaLinn
    Advice from forum members
    Jonbouy
    Re:Want to dance? African Dance Tune by IJenNeh 2010/08/05 05:22:18 (permalink)
    He may be referring to the difference in the reverb/decay. The lead seem to have more effect, while the choir sounds like they are standing beside me.

Yes Jeff is on it.

It can be caused by recording the choir in one session in a certain space and the lead vox on another occasion in a totally different place with different mics and tracking settings, sometimes the resulting differences in the recordings are difficult to match up to sound like they were recorded at the same time.

I'm not sure how you have the vocals set up in the mix presently, but using reverb(s) through a send would mean that you could dial in the same reverb effect but in different amounts for the choir and lead vox respectively thus giving a better impression of them being in the same space. 

There is no sure fire way of doing this that I know of but usually using the same spatial effects (reverb) on the choir that you are using on the lead vox via sends should match the different performances a little better.  More effect on the choir would give the impression of sending them further behind the lead singer. One thing to remember with reverb is that a little goes a long way so use sparingly and err on the side of caution.

To further help tie them together without adding too much of the muddiness associated with reverb, after you have settled on the effects you want to apply, is to send all the now nicely mixed vocals through another bus and add this plug-in to the fx bin.

http://dallashodgson.info...s/OpenAmbienceProject/

It's called Sheppi and it can add some ambient width and depth to the whole vocal sub-mix without adding or detracting from the original signal. Don't hesitate to remove it if it doesn't do the required job though as I've found it works wonders in some cases and does nothing useful in others.

I really hope this helps rather than confuses, and I'm sorry it is a bit of a protracted explanation just to gain a small improvement.

Most of all, don't you dare spoil this excellent track just for the sake of my big mouth... , it's just a case of experimenting here to see if you can improve the match on the two performances by these methods.

geeare1
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1906
    Re:Want to dance? African Dance Tune by IJenNeh 2010/08/05 07:19:31 (permalink)
    Absolutely fantastic!!!

I could listen to this all day.

Outstanding.

-gr

'There's two kinds of music: good and bad. I like both.' - Duke Ellington

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=943338&content=music
    notnat
    Max Output Level: -23 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5236
    Re:Want to dance? African Dance Tune by IJenNeh 2010/08/05 08:58:16 (permalink)
    I love the sound of this... great groove and the vocals are golden...

Great work...
    JD1813
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 813
    Re:African Dance Tune by IJenNeh-3rd attempt to mix instruments 2010/08/05 09:04:56 (permalink)
    I thoroughly enjoyed this tune and thank you for sharing it!  I agree with comments above, this is nice to listen to all day long.  Since we were discussing rhythms in another thread, I'd love to hear how you put this all together - did you use SD3 primarily? Step sequencer?
    I am awed at the clarity and quality of your mix - this is a lovely job of handling many vocal parts and blends wonderfully.  Very nice job!  

-John  *Acer Notebook Win7 Pro-x64 /Edirol USB UA-4FX/SP B1 Mic/Sonar PE X2a; Alesis QS-7 & Ovation 12-String.  Site: www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=1007877

Technology drives me to drink. Fortunately, it's a short drive..
    No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    Re:African Dance Tune by IJenNeh-3rd attempt to mix instruments 2010/08/05 09:54:42 (permalink)
    Gosh, I love his voice.  Great job on the whole mix, Karalie.  It's outstanding in it's clean, unpretentious presentation.  Such wonderful joyful music.

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    Venus
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 496
    Re:African Dance Tune by IJenNeh-3rd attempt to mix instruments 2010/08/05 10:59:17 (permalink)
    I agree...TOTALLY fantastic!!!!! I have no idea what he's saying, but I absolutely want to dance and sing and jump around!

Yes, I'm back ...with minions. Luv, D

Collabs are here:
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=1208769 
    Past solo recordings (my mixes) are here:
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=918473 
    The future is on YouTube:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMZqTJNpfZuGy7k62nVJ4eA

evadianepug
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4477
    Re:African Dance Tune by IJenNeh-3rd attempt to mix instruments 2010/08/05 17:42:51 (permalink)
    My lack of "technical hearing" leaves me wondering what those boys are talking about?  It's good for my listening pleasure but it leaves me needing others to mix my music!  I think this is absoultely great!  It's like I see 2d in a 3d movie but I love the show!  I loved this tune!!

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
    THE PUGTONES
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=919339&content=music
    SonarX3
    Ozz
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 332
    Re:African Dance Tune by IJenNeh-3rd attempt to mix instruments 2010/08/05 18:43:21 (permalink)
    Holy Cow did I like this!! 

I got into World Music a number of years ago when I started getting bored with a lot of the "closer to home" material I was hearing.

Became a fan of bands that integrated styles (Afro-Celt Sound Station, Dead Can Dance, etc) as well as people like Oliver Mtukudzi and Youssou N'Dour, etc.

This really song makes you "happy to be listening".  I honestly think it's one of the best works I've responded to in this forum. 
    Completely pro sounding.

I really don't have any nits, although I could see what the one individual above was referring to.  However, it didn't bother me in the least, and might not have noticed had I not read the comment.

Great Job!

Sonar Platinum, Win 10 Pro 64, Intel i7 4770K, 16GB DDR3 1600, 1 x 250GB SSD, 2 x 2TB SATA, Roland OctaCapture, Roland XP-30 (Controller only), Shure KSM-44, Rode NT-1, Shure SM57, Numerous Guitar Amp sims, Komplete 6/7, Alchemy, Custom built guitar, Carvin Amplifiers.
    Jonbouy
    Re:African Dance Tune by IJenNeh-3rd attempt to mix instruments 2010/08/05 20:28:47 (permalink)

I really don't have any nits, although I could see what the one individual above was referring to. However, it didn't bother me in the least, and might not have noticed had I not read the comment.

No I agree, and that's pretty much what I said in my original comment too, that it didn't matter too much in the context of this great track.

Clarification was sought as to how to deal with it though, so I tried to provide that to the best of my ability.

I try to give back some of which has been given to me over time, when asked, as the only way I've got any further forward in understanding what I'm doing is by listening to the suggestions of others here.

post edited by Jonbouy - 2010/08/05 20:33:48

MannyNY
    • Total Posts : 732
    Re:African Dance Tune by IJenNeh-3rd attempt to mix instruments 2010/08/05 22:10:41 (permalink)
    Very, very nice – vocals are wonderful – crisp, clear and right on the money. I have no idea what they’re singing about as I do not understand a word of this, but the feeling is all positive. Ending was abrupt . caught me off guard .  I think it’s wonderful and  the only thing this is missing  (to my ears)  is an acoustic element – some acoustic guitars would go nicely in there. Great job.
    post edited by MannyNY - 2010/08/05 22:18:34
    Tap
    Max Output Level: -30 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4536
    Re:African Dance Tune by IJenNeh-3rd attempt to mix instruments 2010/08/05 23:35:16 (permalink)
    Yeah, I really enjoyed this as well. Listening on computer speakers so I can really hear the spacial differences in the vocal tracks. The mix sounds quite clean and clear to me and only at brief moments do the combination of vocals all singing at the same time did I notice it briefly get a tad muddy.

MC4 - M-Audio FW410 / Behringer UCA202 - Fender Strat / Jazzmaster / DuoSonic / Washburn / Peavy Foundation M-Audio Radium 49 Roland Juno 106 / JazzChorus / Seymore Duncan Convertible - HP A1230N ( AMD Athalon 3800+ 2G Ram + 200G HD )

http://soundclick.com/cut2thechaise

karalie7@aol.com
    Re:African Dance Tune by IJenNeh-3rd attempt to mix instruments 2010/08/06 02:58:41 (permalink)
    Hi there
    Jonbouy, thanks for the advice and hopefully can give it a try.

JD1813 John states "Since we were discussing rhythms in another thread, I'd love to hear how you put this all together - did you use SD3 primarily? Step sequencer?"
    We recorded the midi drums using Sessions Drums and then added midi keyboard tracks. We then added audio rhythm guitar and audio bass guitar. Then we did a scratch lead, next we recorded the backing chorus, track by track, 2 baritones, 2 1st tenors, 2 low tenors. Then we recorded the lead over a course of several days, taking the best parts of each track and re-recording til we got what we wanted. Then we added lead uplifting and decided to add the baritone & bass uplifting. The last thing we added is the audio african drums. We typically mix as we go, making final touches at the end.

Thanks to NotNat, Geeare1,NoHow, Venus, Evadianepug & Oz for kind words!!!

MannyNY: some soukous guitar playing would be so fine!

Tap states "only at brief moments do the combination of vocals all singing at the same time did I notice it briefly get a tad muddy."
    Yes, I do agree, still fighting towards complete clarity in mixes. Keep trying to work it out. Thanks so much for the kind words and advice.

Hi Jsykes, you just pushed this song to #2 on the World/African Chart on Soundclick. Thanks, I owe ya.

I always enjoy and love the people on Sonar forums. You guys rock it!

post edited by karalie7@aol.com - 2010/08/06 03:02:37
    peggysuechan
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 581
    Re:African Dance Tune by IJenNeh-3rd attempt to mix instruments 2010/08/06 03:01:30 (permalink)
    Oh man, this one rocks!
    It reminds me of the calypsos from my husband's Caribbean island, Trinidad. He's one of those "Eh Eh, mon" people.

Do you want to add some horns to your song like the calypsos have (I'm thinking here of Sparrow)? and like the Mariachi bands have? They would give vibrant highlights to such a festive song. 

The song is fantastic throughout--everything and everybody in tune, the lead singer singing with great strength and heart, exciting and imaginative, until the very end where it ends weird--just a short chord by some flat, midi-sounding instument.

Oh yes--I almost forgot until I started reading the posts above just now. About the ambiance thing that Jonbouy mentions. It struck me right away that I was wanting to hear more ambiance, too. I'm accustomed to listening to Sparrow, and I guess I'm comparing your song to his songs.
    post edited by peggysuechan - 2010/08/06 03:08:57

If I'm practicing a sin, I'm going to Hell.
    If I'm obeying Jesus, I'm going to Heaven. 

SusieChan.com
    karalie7@aol.com
    Re:African Dance Tune by IJenNeh-3rd attempt to mix instruments 2010/08/06 03:11:44 (permalink)
    Hi PeggySue,
    it would be fun to try horns, we should try it. Would you add them?
    Also you made me smile on the ending-it was an audio guitar ending note. LOL.
    Many blessings tonite.
    equality
    • Total Posts : 716
    Re:African Dance Tune by IJenNeh-3rd attempt to mix instruments 2010/08/06 05:07:02 (permalink)
    Gee, wonderful! I love this type of music. I remember when I had a short wave radio equipment and tuned in weak radio stations from e g Cameroun, Ivory Coast and other countries. Thanks for sharing this.  It's very rythmic as it  should. What I slightly miss is that energetic electric guitar picking guitar instead of the piano. The end chord seems a little bit late, cut and paste! Otherwise wonderful melody, rythms and vocals make me want to dance!
    peggysuechan
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 581
    Re:African Dance Tune by IJenNeh-3rd attempt to mix instruments 2010/08/06 11:33:07 (permalink)
    Hi PeggySue, it would be fun to try horns, we should try it. Would you add them?

Oh my, Karalie! I really put my foot in my mouth this time, huh. I wouldn't know where to begin. I've sequenced three songs in my life. 

But more than just calypso, I'm thinking about the enormous success of YMCA (here). If you listen, brass accents play a huge part in the song. I'm wondering if that song would have known it's success without the brass, because the words don't seem outstanding in any way, nor the subject matter entertaining or appealing. It's the upbeat feel of it that made it great, of which the brass plays a huge part.

Your song is intense and exciting on it's own. It's style has potential for greatness. I think the brass can give it this.

If I'm practicing a sin, I'm going to Hell.
    If I'm obeying Jesus, I'm going to Heaven. 

SusieChan.com
    karalie7@aol.com
    Re:African Dance Tune by IJenNeh-3rd attempt to mix instruments 2010/08/07 02:56:02 (permalink)
    Hi there,
    Equality thanks for the listen. You have very good ears since the music director & lead singer is from West Africa, Liberia! Though the song is Southern African.

Acabwayla simply means "Jesus is coming again".

Thanks for making this number #1 on World/African charts.

When I recorded the lead vocal I recorded it with a digital compressor on the lead vocal bus. I then mixed the lead vocal layering two separate Wave reverbs(making sure the delay settings are the same), Cakewalk's FX Dynamics Processor and Sonitus Vintage EQ making adjustments on each effect/compressor/equalixer. I will probably add a reverb to the entire mix to try to get some more co-hesiveness(spelling??) to the song. I like the ending though I am getting comments about it. I might just keep it or something like it.

Blessings to all
    Slow Marching Band
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1603
    Re:African Dance Tune by IJenNeh-3rd attempt to mix instruments 2010/08/07 13:06:14 (permalink)
    Lovely stuff, your music always makes me smile.

I like the 'sound' of your tunes too, everything seems quite dry on it's own, but the whole mix is full and satisfying - that's nice work.

James
    BIABDude
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 676
    Re:African Dance Tune by IJenNeh-3rd attempt to mix instruments 2010/08/07 13:25:11 (permalink)
    +++++1
    needs more bass drum thump
    Janet
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:African Dance Tune by IJenNeh-3rd attempt to mix instruments 2010/08/07 16:22:00 (permalink)
    This is really nice, as everyone seems to agree.  :-)  My daughter-in-law, who grew up in Africa, would be dancing if she were here. :-)

I don't mind the last chord, but perhaps it doesn't have to cut off so abruptly. 

Beautiful and you all do great work! 
    karalie7@aol.com
    Re:African Dance Tune by IJenNeh-3rd attempt to mix instruments 2010/08/08 02:37:32 (permalink)
    Hi there,

James states "everything seems quite dry on it's own, but the whole mix is full and satisfying"
    I like more dry verbs on the vocals especially on the organic african songs. I don't want to hear any "metal" flavor on the verbs for vocals.

Biabdude states "needs more bass drum thump "
    Yeah, let the party roll! Honestly, I bring the kickdrum in as much as possible in the beginning and then bring everything else in after. I like to feel that kick in my chest. Its a fine balance, bringing it in without pushing something else over in the mix.

Janet, we are going to change the ending alitte bit and extend it out with some vocal harmonies on the end.

Thanks again everybody for sharing. I like to say when we are one we are not smart but when we are many we can accomplish so much. Blessings!
    post edited by karalie7@aol.com - 2010/08/08 02:40:02
    Scottytunes
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5695
    Re:African Dance Tune by IJenNeh-3rd attempt to mix instruments 2010/08/08 16:54:00 (permalink)
    I love it! This one has me chair dancing . I can't sit still! Great mix, Karalie!

String Jammer
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1