And Life Goes On (Dance/House/Techno)

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
ba_midi
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14061
Re:And Life Goes On (Dance/House/Techno) 2012/01/14 11:47:32 (permalink)
Not sure I understood them, but thanks for your comments Ben 

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
jamesg1213
  • Total Posts : 21760
Re:And Life Goes On (Dance/House/Techno) 2012/01/14 12:07:39 (permalink)
I like anything if it's good Billy, and this is excellent. I like the mellow synth tones against the more agressive ones and you get plenty of melody in there. Nice one, the mix sounds fantastic through headphones.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
ba_midi
Re:And Life Goes On (Dance/House/Techno) 2012/01/14 12:23:42 (permalink)
jamesg1213

I like anything if it's good Billy, and this is excellent. I like the mellow synth tones against the more agressive ones and you get plenty of melody in there. Nice one, the mix sounds fantastic through headphones.

Thanks very much, James.

And, ps - I'm with you. I like anything / any style that is good.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re:And Life Goes On (Dance/House/Techno) 2012/01/16 12:23:39 (permalink)
Hey Billy,

I don't know how I missed this one.

How did you do this all on a non-gapless DAW?

Very well done. Your choice of sounds are excellent. Performance is superb.

You should do this for a living.
ba_midi
Re:And Life Goes On (Dance/House/Techno) 2012/01/16 12:33:45 (permalink)
bapu

Hey Billy,

I don't know how I missed this one.

How did you do this all on a non-gapless DAW?

Very well done. Your choice of sounds are excellent. Performance is superb.

You should do this for a living.

Thanks so much, Baps  

Do people make a living doing this still??  LOL

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

philz
Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2462
Re:And Life Goes On (Dance/House/Techno) 2012/01/16 13:22:32 (permalink)
Cool tune, Billy.  I really enjoyed it.  While being a 'classic rocker' by disposition, I do enjoy house/dance/techno maybe because as a genre it's so lively and upbeat.

In fact, I've actually been playing around with a dance type tune idea which I will probably finish and release on an unsuspecting forum in the not too distant future.  Check back, as I'd love to get a master's comments on it.

As for this tune, great choice of synth patches and textures, good change ups... loved it.  What were the synths used?
ba_midi
Re:And Life Goes On (Dance/House/Techno) 2012/01/16 13:51:53 (permalink)
philz

Cool tune, Billy.  I really enjoyed it.  While being a 'classic rocker' by disposition, I do enjoy house/dance/techno maybe because as a genre it's so lively and upbeat.

In fact, I've actually been playing around with a dance type tune idea which I will probably finish and release on an unsuspecting forum in the not too distant future.  Check back, as I'd love to get a master's comments on it.

As for this tune, great choice of synth patches and textures, good change ups... loved it.  What were the synths used?

Philz, thanks so much for listening, I'm glad you liked it!   And, um, er, I'm no master, that's for sure.  But please do let me know when you want me to listen!

Oops - forgot to answer about the synths (though I think I did so earlier in the thread?) ...

From memory ...  Z3ta+2 (a few instances), Corona, Absynth, Harmless, M1, Maschine, - and there are more I just can't remember now haha.  I can open the project later and give a more complete listing though.

post edited by ba_midi - 2012/01/16 14:08:38

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

SiTheMon
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 135
Re:And Life Goes On (Dance/House/Techno) 2012/01/16 14:50:36 (permalink)
Hi

I really like the space you had in this tune. Im not a big lover of this type of music cause it tends (IMO) to be a bit repetitive but this did keep my attention. I love synths and and some of the sounds made me try and workout what you were doing. Was there any Ohmforce stuff in there?  All in all, great job.

Si 
ba_midi
Re:And Life Goes On (Dance/House/Techno) 2012/01/16 14:58:47 (permalink)
SiTheMon

Hi

I really like the space you had in this tune. Im not a big lover of this type of music cause it tends (IMO) to be a bit repetitive but this did keep my attention. I love synths and and some of the sounds made me try and workout what you were doing. Was there any Ohmforce stuff in there?  All in all, great job.

Si 

Thanks a lot Si.

Nope, no Ohmforce stuff in there.   I will post a correct list - as I also like to know what others use from time to time.

As I said  - this was a fun track to do.  It just seem to come on its own, ie., I didn't have to think too much of what to do / what i needed.

And mixing it was fun too :)

Thanks again.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

paulo
Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6218
Re:And Life Goes On (Dance/House/Techno) 2012/01/17 16:39:49 (permalink)
Nice mix for sure - you certainly have this style nailed in my opinion. Not my favourite genre if I'm honest, I quite like electronica, but more JM Jarre than dance stuff, but you're always worth listening to just to hear the quality of the production.
ba_midi
Re:And Life Goes On (Dance/House/Techno) 2012/01/17 17:07:11 (permalink)
paulo

Nice mix for sure - you certainly have this style nailed in my opinion. Not my favourite genre if I'm honest, I quite like electronica, but more JM Jarre than dance stuff, but you're always worth listening to just to hear the quality of the production.

Thanks Paulo, I appreciate that.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

Beagle
  • Total Posts : 50621
Re:And Life Goes On (Dance/House/Techno) 2012/01/17 17:11:53 (permalink)
Hi Billy,
I'm not a dance expert (and you woudn't really want to see the Beagle dance anyway - haven't done that in about 20 years!)

but this is pretty cool!  love the beat, love the synth melody and phasor sounds.  drums are well done.  mix sounds good from what I know about dance music!  thanks for sharing!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
ba_midi
Re:And Life Goes On (Dance/House/Techno) 2012/01/17 17:19:24 (permalink)
Beagle

Hi Billy,
I'm not a dance expert (and you woudn't really want to see the Beagle dance anyway - haven't done that in about 20 years!)

but this is pretty cool!  love the beat, love the synth melody and phasor sounds.  drums are well done.  mix sounds good from what I know about dance music!  thanks for sharing!

Thanks a lot Beags.

One thing I always hope is that when people listen that they forget what genre it's called or what label is used and listen just to see if they like it as a piece of music.   That's also how I try to compose and mix.  As I said earlier in the thread, I don't get too purist about style as I think that puts a limit on what might come out musically.

SO thanks for listenin' and I'm glad you liked it!

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

markno999
Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1450
Re:And Life Goes On (Dance/House/Techno) 2012/01/17 17:31:56 (permalink)
Billy,

Really fine production, it sounds fantastic.   I am encouraged that you are getting these results with ProChannel and that you are pleased with it.  I am trying to simplify my methods and would like to rely more on the native Sonar toolsets rather than 3rd party plugs.

Really outstanding work.   I skipped my afternoon 5 Hour Energy drink after listening to this;)
Regards
ba_midi
Re:And Life Goes On (Dance/House/Techno) 2012/01/17 18:54:27 (permalink)
markno999

Billy,

Really fine production, it sounds fantastic.   I am encouraged that you are getting these results with ProChannel and that you are pleased with it.  I am trying to simplify my methods and would like to rely more on the native Sonar toolsets rather than 3rd party plugs.

Really outstanding work.   I skipped my afternoon 5 Hour Energy drink after listening to this;)
Regards

Well thanks a lot for the kind words, and for taking the time to listen!  I'm happy I could help you skip that 5 hour drink 

There's no doubt that the Pro Channel did a good job of handling the EQ and compression on most of the tracks.  I do use (and will continue to use) 3rd party plugins as well, though.

FabFilter  PRO-C and PRO-Q and for mastering PRO-L were all used on this as well.

But I also used PSP Vintage Warmer, so I just kind of go with plugins that I think would add to the track.  Sometimes I spend a good 30 minutes just seeing which of the many compressor plugins I have would do the trick.

As another example, I've used a compressor like NOmad's on tracks that lean more guitarish- and/or rock-ish, because I think that plugin had the right sound at the time.

SO while Pro Channel definitely came through on this, I actually don't rely on it exclusively all that much (yet).

Thanks again for your comments!

post edited by ba_midi - 2012/01/17 19:06:09

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

LpMike75
Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1621
Re:And Life Goes On (Dance/House/Techno) 2012/01/18 05:55:21 (permalink)
Hey Billy nice job.  I particularly liked the snare/distorted clap kind of sound.  Not sure what you used but it was perfect for the style.  The bass drum also cut through marvelously without being overbearing.

The synth's were neat and mixed very well, which to me seems tough to do with multiple synth sounds.  I thought this was great. 

- Mike
Sonar Platinum - M-Audio Profire 2626 , Pro Tools 11 HD Omni - PC I7 6850K - 64 G RAM - GeForce GTX 970
http://www.soundcloud.com/michael-lizotte 
Http://WWW.HomeRecordingWizard.Com
HTTP://WWW.Facebook.com/HomeRecordingWizard
Http://www.mjlmusic.com 
ba_midi
Re:And Life Goes On (Dance/House/Techno) 2012/01/18 12:23:32 (permalink)
LpMike75

Hey Billy nice job.  I particularly liked the snare/distorted clap kind of sound.  Not sure what you used but it was perfect for the style.  The bass drum also cut through marvelously without being overbearing.

The synth's were neat and mixed very well, which to me seems tough to do with multiple synth sounds.  I thought this was great. 

Heya Mike, thanks a lot for taking the time to listen and for the kind compliments.  I'm glad you liked this track.

All the drum parts I did on Maschine (I tend to make my own kits and definitely play in all the parts myself); but I did use one drum loop as an underlay (layer).

I'm pretty sure I doubled the snare with claps on this track (I'd have to go look at the project tracks to confirm and I'm not at my DAW at the moment, sorry).  And I generally do a lot of processing on the drums in general.  Voxengo's Drumiformer was definitely used on my "drum submix bux" for example. I may have even used the softube saturator on the snare (I  definitely used it on the kick).

Well, again, thanks for your comments, I appreciate it :)

post edited by ba_midi - 2012/01/18 12:24:54

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

Starise
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7563
Re:And Life Goes On (Dance/House/Techno) 2012/01/18 12:35:21 (permalink)
 I understand posting music that isn't what most listeners here are partial to lol. I also have the M1 VST and love it. One thing I liked about the tune was the motif running through it,another was the earthy feel to some of the synth parts even though this is EDM . I mostly think of EDM music as programmed and mechanical, you gave the tune a good human feel.
 The mix was awesome. The work you did on the recording space has really payed off.

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
 CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

ba_midi
Re:And Life Goes On (Dance/House/Techno) 2012/01/18 13:07:57 (permalink)
Starise

I understand posting music that isn't what most listeners here are partial to lol. I also have the M1 VST and love it. One thing I liked about the tune was the motif running through it,another was the earthy feel to some of the synth parts even though this is EDM . I mostly think of EDM music as programmed and mechanical, you gave the tune a good human feel.
 The mix was awesome. The work you did on the recording space has really payed off.

I don't use the M1 all that much, but it still has some very good and usable sounds in it.  So for this track it worked nice for the "ahhs" in the mid section.
Thanks a lot for your comments and for taking the time to listen.  I appreciate it :D

post edited by ba_midi - 2012/01/18 13:10:09

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1