Another Rapture Review

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
Rick McNab
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1047
RE: Another Rapture Review 2006/03/12 10:12:03 (permalink)
You know, kdm, we're definitely in agreement. However I heard some track tonight - sort of an underground punk-metal thing. And they had layered in this really fat analog bassline. And you could just tell it was analog. It wasn't VA. No way. It was the real thing.

It's not just the experience, it really is the sound. But the VAs have their thing too, and I think they are capable, especially the better ones, of evoking the same emotions out of the listener, or serving the same functions in a track as their "real" analog counterparts.

So the "real" analog vs. VA debate will be ongoing. But in terms of practical musicmaking, I'll be using VA softsynths like Rapture. Not only to function in the way the old analogs did, but to create new sounds as well. That's where you start looking at deep programming features like the step gens, etc. And that's where Rapture starts to leave the other guys in the dust.
cityrat
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 671
RE: Another Rapture Review 2006/03/12 11:04:19 (permalink)
I've begun to notice a certain particular René sound, specific to his synths. There is something "airier" about them

I have noticed this too. Altough I think it is "detail" or sound fidelity - maybe in the sfz engine?. I've built a lot of hi-fi audio equipment (amps, pre, speakers both solid state and tube) and it's kinda like the difference between comercial and real audio hi-fi: it just has a more detailed sound. Not sterile or anything like that, just a depth to it.

Of couse, I could just be wack...
AT
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10654
RE: Another Rapture Review 2006/03/12 11:52:31 (permalink)
No, I think there is a difference between real analog and the virtual kind. I can feel the difference when I break out the old mini-moog or arp. I've never done a blind experiment on myself (it would be kinda hard) but there is a tactile difference in the quality of the sound. I would use them more often but the mm needs some work and I have to set them up in my rather cramped room. Besides, the soft-synths can do all sorts of tricks (including polyphony!) that the old analog can't do. In a perfect world (or studio) I'd have everything set up and ready to record at the drop of a hat, but usually it is easier to drop in a softsynth, even over my digital master synth. So, unless I have a specific reason to use some other synth, convience wins out (esp. as I am still learning them).

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
Rick McNab
RE: Another Rapture Review 2006/03/12 18:40:32 (permalink)
Exactly. Practicality wins every time.
Frank@ProSounds
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 199
RE: Another Rapture Review 2006/03/12 20:22:50 (permalink)
Ok P5 groups.

I've taken the mission assigned to me and am currently making a Rapture demo track with plenty of FAT in it. Rene told me to hold it at 140kg, but I went for 200. The track is still very much in the works, but I couldn't stand to watch everybody doubt just how heavy Rapture can be....So i'm posting the first couple bars of whats finished thus far.
4 things for you all to keep in mind before you listen:

1. As stated, the track is no where near finished. You're only hearing 3 presets in this one.
2. No external EQ or FX at all.
3. Everything is Rapture, except for the drums
4. It starts off sort of low....so don't turn your speakers up to much louder than you would any other time, as the FATness gets
VERY loud. (Almost took Rene's head off!)

You've been warned. Please Right Click and Save As ON THIS LINK

Leave reactions up in this thread for me please.

Thanks

Frank
oroboros
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 901
RE: Another Rapture Review 2006/03/12 20:46:14 (permalink)
Doc, I need a prescription of Lipitor.

Not particular impressed with the softer initial sound, but the other tracks were nice and beefy. I'd try to create some more sustained rythmic fatness, just to kill the myth, in addition to the sweeping stuff, which you nailed. Different flavors of fat, in other words. And I'd normalize the volume levels better.

To think, at one time P5 was a $429 MSRP app.

I think that technology and music has always been together, and I think music is science, anyway. - Vangelis

The Other P5 Forum
Frank@ProSounds
RE: Another Rapture Review 2006/03/12 21:31:52 (permalink)
Hehe, Thanks OroBoros.

Yes, it's really rough at the moment. No where near finished. Just wanted everyone to hear that sweep. The 'thinner' stuff at the beginning is just to set the mood and make use of Raptures internal sequencer in the track. There will be plenty more FAT in this track as it evolves. I'll keep everyone posted.

Anyone else?
lawapa
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1144
RE: Another Rapture Review 2006/03/12 22:52:39 (permalink)
Yes, it's true, Fat is the prevailing need. All that must be trimmed off to accommodate a mix without mud but to sell a synth these days I guess you need these fat patches that would in a mix need some adjustment. I on the other hand can understand that subtlety can and will stand proud in a mix. You have to strain to hear it in the cacophony of a busy tune. But if it's missing I would miss it. It is also the hardest to program for. I've been listening to Duke Ellingtons Indigo suite lately. the master of the subtle phrase. It is not rock or electronic. But I wish to learn something through osmosis?
post edited by lawapa - 2006/03/12 23:09:44
Rick McNab
RE: Another Rapture Review 2006/03/13 01:44:49 (permalink)
Nice work, Frank. Having already been convinced by kdm's demos, I note what's cool about yours is how it demonstrates all of the movement you can get out of Rapture - the step gens, efx, lfos, etc... That's what will ultimately enable modern sounds to be programmed. And of course now we know that it can get fat as well.

I hope all of this discussion of fatness will motivate the developers to create a custom soundset similar to the DCP "Regenerator" bank for the PLG-150AN board for the Yamahas. In other words a bank of patches all focused on the great analog polys of the late 1970s and early 1980s.

Thanks for all of your hard work Rapture team!
b rock
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8717
RE: Another Rapture Review 2006/03/13 14:40:07 (permalink)
I've taken the mission assigned to me and am currently making a Rapture demo track with plenty of FAT in it.
Succeeded. I just put on 10 lbs. listening to it. Say, does this demo song make me look fat?
Nice one, Frank. My woofers thank you, too, for loosening them up a bit. Yeah, I know I was warned, but ...

You don't get off that easily here, though. You have to reveal what you used. Obviously, heavy StepGen use, both smoothed & stepped, but we want the sordid details. Even the reasons that you used outside drums, and what they were. Spill it.
lost sheep
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 798
RE: Another Rapture Review 2006/03/13 14:51:39 (permalink)
My hearing is struggling between the kick and bass, any chance you could put this up without the drums?
Frank@ProSounds
RE: Another Rapture Review 2006/03/13 17:07:44 (permalink)
Nice work, Frank. Having already been convinced by kdm's demos, I note what's cool about yours is how it demonstrates all of the movement you can get out of Rapture - the step gens, efx, lfos, etc... That's what will ultimately enable modern sounds to be programmed. And of course now we know that it can get fat as well.

Thank you.

Succeeded. I just put on 10 lbs. listening to it. Say, does this demo song make me look fat?
Nice one, Frank. My woofers thank you, too, for loosening them up a bit. Yeah, I know I was warned, but ...

You don't get off that easily here, though. You have to reveal what you used. Obviously, heavy StepGen use, both smoothed & stepped, but we want the sordid details. Even the reasons that you used outside drums, and what they were. Spill it.

I didn't use that much at all actually. The step sequenced sound you hear at the beginning and lasts through to the end is 1 instance of rapture playing 1 note the whole time. It's set to one of the factory presets. When the drums come in, the pitch sweep you hear is another instance of Rapture set to the "Tuning In" preset in the factory bank. Next, the FAT sweep is a preset I programmed exclusively for this track, again, on 1 instance of Rapture; It uses all six elements (5 saw waveforms and 1 square), light unison, 1 four pole filter on each element, and some of Rapture's internal EQ. Lastly, the drums were made using the Reflex Vsti by Basement Arts. That's all so far.

My hearing is struggling between the kick and bass, any chance you could put this up without the drums?

Yes, I will post another clip later that doesn't include the drums.

Peace,

Frank
Paradroid
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 454
RE: Another Rapture Review 2006/03/13 19:57:15 (permalink)
I think it is "detail" or sound fidelity - maybe in the sfz engine?

I don't know if you ever saw those frequency plots that were doing the rounds a while back when sfz+ was first released but I'd say the quality of the resampling engine is probably what you're referring to. Basically, someone ran a whole bunch of tests with popular samplers and mapped the distortion characteristics as the pitch changed (i.e. resampled) and compared the results. Needless to say, the RGC offerings won out.

They may be fat but their complexion is peachy.
Frank@ProSounds
RE: Another Rapture Review 2006/03/13 20:01:38 (permalink)
Ok, as requested, Here's the same mp3 of the introduction heard above minus the drums.

Please Right Click and Save As HERE

Frank
awilki01
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 817
RE: Another Rapture Review 2006/03/13 21:21:50 (permalink)
Can someone describe to me what a fat(phat) sound is supposed to sound like?

I'm sitting on the fence with this one. Although I lean towards the trance and electronica styles of music, I am just not sure if this is the synth for me. To me, for some reason, everything sounds very very similar. Maybe it's just me.....

I'm going to have to wait and see what others can do with this first.

Adam
post edited by awilki01 - 2006/03/13 21:45:36
kdm
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13
RE: Another Rapture Review 2006/03/13 22:00:03 (permalink)
IMHO, it's usually an interpretation of hyped low frequency content rather than an actual characteristic. For others, it's pushing the low end to the point of diminishing returns by layering low end until the mix is almost overwhelmed by it (Fletcher Munsen curve theory). Then there are still more that would say it's stacked, or complex chord voicings, or a description of the arrangement .

Based on the demos and reactions, what is being discussed here can be created with any number of synths - software and hardware, as long as the filters are half decent. While it would be nice to think one synth is "fatter" than another, the truth is (based on personal tests with a large range of instruments), few if any instruments discussed in this thread aren't capable of it. Often width is really just about how much chorus either as an effect or via detuned multiple oscillators/sources panned opposite, and how much low end is evenly distributed from 60Hz to 150Hz - either from EQ or just layering instruments in the bass register in the arrangement. Most soft synths, if not all, that can detune oscillators can do this, unless they have a high pass filter set for 100Hz on the main out.

There are a lot of myths around "fat/phat" that are easily swayed by flapping subs. I know producers that talk about layering kicks to get a huge sound, but end up back where they started with the final mix without realizing it - a different tone to the kick, but no more low than was there to start with (unless it was a really lame kick).

To me it's really more about a mix with a lot of width, depth, dynamics, power, and clarity to allow instruments to stand out within a great arrangement - not just layering sounds to boost the low end, but doing it with intentionality to match the music, arrangement and mix. YMMV.

My general synth advice is not to take the all-in-one workstation approach to looking at a synth - e.g. show stopping presets that were only good for concert openers in the 80's ;-) - but rather tweaking it to find out where it sings and where it croaks - the latter is becoming less and less common now that frequency response vs. noise floor really isn't the issue it once was and more synths employ higher order filtering. Just be careful of how effects influence what you think you are hearing - always turn them off to see just what the synth sounds like raw. That is when "fat" becomes quite lean and the definition starts to make more sense.
lawapa
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1144
RE: Another Rapture Review 2006/03/13 22:15:56 (permalink)
A full rich thick sound. KDM described it very well. On a solo part, the focus of a track, it stands out better. As long as it's not stepping on other instruments. You do sequence with this in mind though. Rapture was this potiential. Well sutied to solo type pad sounds. But by no means limited to.
lost sheep
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 798
RE: Another Rapture Review 2006/03/14 05:48:31 (permalink)
Ok, as requested, Here's the same mp3 of the introduction heard above minus the drums.

Where do I send the bill for the new floorboard Frank? Windows have started rattling as well... I will let you know what the glazier says in due course...

Frank@ProSounds
RE: Another Rapture Review 2006/03/14 12:48:16 (permalink)
Hehe, I'm sure cakewalk will reimburse you for the floorboards. Not sure about the windows though.

awilki01
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 817
RE: Another Rapture Review 2006/03/29 17:21:14 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Frank@ProSounds

Please Right Click and Save As HERE

Frank

I just got Rapture myself and have been playing around a little with it. Is it possible for you to post the .prog or .elem file for this fat bass sound? I just want to reverse engineer it so I can learn how you did it......

Thanks,
Adam

EDIT: If you can, email them to awilki01@gmail.com
post edited by awilki01 - 2006/03/29 17:36:54
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1