solar28
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 248
2006/03/05 15:49:09 (permalink)

79 Replies Related Threads

Paradroid
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 454
    RE: Another Rapture Review 2006/03/05 17:36:24 (permalink)
    Thanks for the heads up…

I do belive I saw that “ef ay tee” word again.
    awilki01
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 817
    RE: Another Rapture Review 2006/03/05 19:26:24 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Paradroid

Thanks for the heads up…

Get with the times!!! You mean "pee aych ay tee"
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Another Rapture Review 2006/03/05 19:44:58 (permalink)
    Let me state this one time for the record: Rapture is NOT fat! It's just big-boned.

OK, maybe just a little pudgy baby-fat. it'll grow out of that. As my Bahamian friends would say, "She's a solid gueall. Not fat, you know. But solid."
    Hey, you want to see big bottom? Take a walk in my flip-flops, friends. I live in Miami.

Nice review. I like this one even better. At least the guy's not looking to recreate St. Patrick's Cathedral with it. Thorough with the possiblities, too.
    This man has tweaked before. And, I assure you: he will tweak again.

So you've got to forgive him (or the editor) for this one. Twice.
    Underneath this box are six buttons labeled E1-E5.
    others use all six. As you click from E1 to E5, the settings applied to each Element are displayed.

Huh? He had me counting off by fingers. I think his blood sugar is too high. Probably needs to go on a strict low-fat diet.
    post edited by b rock - 2006/03/05 19:51:36
    oroboros
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 901
    RE: Another Rapture Review 2006/03/05 20:15:14 (permalink)
    So you've got to forgive him (or the editor) for this one. Twice.
    Underneath this box are six buttons labeled E1-E5.
    others use all six. As you click from E1 to E5, the settings applied to each Element are displayed.
    Huh? He had me counting off by fingers. I think his blood sugar is too high. Probably needs to go on a strict low-fat diet.

I noticed that immediately, too, and with the picture of all 6 right beside it. Well, it was an article for Mac people (grandpa's recent defection notwithstanding ... he still uses P5 ... I guess that makes him good people ... like a friend who has a weird thing for fat chicks ... speaking of which ...).

I think we need a "fat off". Your sumo synth versus our sumo synth. I admit that I haven't yet heard the fatness of Fabfilter's Twin in any Rapture example thus far. But I'm not willing to declare a big booty winner, just yet, until I have Rapture's softness meeting my hands.

"Gentlemen, give a round of applause for Rapture! Willing to swirl her curves just for you! Once you go dark, you'll never touch another arp. Now don't be shy about tweak ..."

(Chilly in London territory?)

To think, at one time P5 was a $429 MSRP app.

I think that technology and music has always been together, and I think music is science, anyway. - Vangelis

The Other P5 Forum
    lawapa
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1144
    RE: Another Rapture Review 2006/03/05 21:02:39 (permalink)
    Just 2 more days. maybe 3. I'm hoping Guitar center makes the call as soon as it hits the door. I know better. But hey the moneys waiting. It will grace my DAW.
    b rock
    RE: Another Rapture Review 2006/03/05 21:04:38 (permalink)
    I think we need a "fat off". Your sumo synth versus our sumo synth. I admit that I haven't yet heard the fatness of Fabfilter's Twin in any Rapture example thus far.
    You're on, Golden One. I don't even have the fighter in my corner yet, but I'll bet you that my (future) Phat will kick your Phat's ass. I'll admit: you've got one helluva contender in your stable, and I'm going with a largely unknown quantity. Hey, I'm feeling a little peckish. B Rocky XXII. Cue the music.

This'll be cool. It'll be like The Biggest Loser reality TV show, but in reverse. I'm going to go eat a handful of Carvel sandwiches now ...
    Paradroid
    RE: Another Rapture Review 2006/03/05 22:19:45 (permalink)
    I'm going with a largely unknown quantity

Ahem… “'cause René said so” is always a valid retort (in my book, at least.)

Now, I'll be checking that that FedEx pack for donut crumbs and giving it a cholesterol test when it gets here last week.
    post edited by Paradroid - 2006/03/05 22:26:29
    b rock
    RE: Another Rapture Review 2006/03/05 22:29:33 (permalink)
    “'cause René said so” is always a valid retort
    Shhhhh!
    There went the point spread ...
    oroboros
    RE: Another Rapture Review 2006/03/06 01:16:43 (permalink)
    All right, here are the tallow laden sounds to beat, the stout competition of Fabfiler Twin's hefty example songs:

Demo by Helium 3 (Wolfgang Kroon)
    Demo by Scott Gilfix
    Demo by Frank Genus, Pro-Sounds

Some of this jelly-bellied rotundity sounds like compression, but the rest does sound like high quality, artery bursting, greasy drippiness to me. There's also some chubby bass within some of these, as well, and again, while part of it sounds like quality compression, a lot does sound awfully roly-poly.

Here are two others, but I don't think they hold the ... weight ... that the others do.

Demo by Photek
    Demo by bManic

Now go forth and prove Rapture's rich porcine suetiness against these bulging whale tales! Let its morbidly obese sounds adipose in the cellulite of day! Stop blubbering and start fleshing out its solid lardels!

I'll stop now ... I'm getting hungry ... cheese, butter, sausage and crackers sounds good ...

Edit: forgot the sausage ... how could I forget the sausage ...
    post edited by oroboros - 2006/03/06 01:25:10

I think that technology and music has always been together, and I think music is science, anyway. - Vangelis

The Other P5 Forum
    three_eyed_otter
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2642
    RE: Another Rapture Review 2006/03/06 01:25:25 (permalink)
    Now go forth and prove Rapture's rich porcine suetiness against these bulging whale tales! Let its morbidly obese sounds adipose in the cellulite of day! Stop blubbering and start fleshing out its solid lardels!

Save it for version 2. "Rapture goes Rupture" and comes w/a triple bypass button.

have a good one
    3Eo
    agincourtdb
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4753
    RE: Another Rapture Review 2006/03/06 02:01:21 (permalink)
    Jeez, I slack off for a couple of weeks and things get abstract around here.... this and the orboros silver thread have me wondering if some people have been 'expanding their consciousnesses'

Rick McNab
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1047
    RE: Another Rapture Review 2006/03/06 03:08:57 (permalink)
    Is that the reviewer who talked about Fab Filter Twin? Don't forget you all heard it from me first! I would LOVE to hear someone make Rapture drip that kind of grease. My credit card's ready for that one. C'mon Rapture demo makers, lay off the chirpy swirly high-end sweets and give us some deep-fried OBX/Fab Filter girth. Prove it can do it!
    Rick McNab
    RE: Another Rapture Review 2006/03/06 03:10:33 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: agincourtdb

Jeez, I slack off for a couple of weeks and things get abstract around here.... this and the orboros silver thread have me wondering if some people have been 'expanding their consciousnesses'

bRock and Paradroid have their own language - evolved a couple of generations from us mere mortals. That's okay - they will be teaching us how to sync multiple step gens and LFOs in Rapture.
    Paradroid
    RE: Another Rapture Review 2006/03/06 03:56:43 (permalink)
    "Rapture goes Rupture" and comes w/a triple bypass button.

For those in the know, it's actually “Ratpure.” One big, fat rodent that already snaffled all that stuff you guys are salivating over.
    lost sheep
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: Another Rapture Review 2006/03/06 12:41:47 (permalink)

So is this an open multi-instance single synth + drums challenge or is it just Tom that has to showboat that Miami Fat Machine?
    oroboros
    RE: Another Rapture Review 2006/03/06 14:05:08 (permalink)
    Anyone can play, Tom has merely been the only one (thus far) to publicly accept this challenge*. There have been accusations leveled that Ratpure cannot produce as rotund sounds as some other synths, Twin being a notable example. And no Ratpure samples, yet, have dispelled this - so the challenge is to proove to these naysayers that Ratpure is indeed not the third Olson ... twin.

... when it gets here last week.
    And you, Mister Aussie, why haven't you accepted this challenge, given that you've already had said synth for many days now? Pass the calorie laden sugar!

The Other P5 Forum
    lost sheep
    RE: Another Rapture Review 2006/03/06 14:46:56 (permalink)
    Now, let's be clear I'm batting with team Oro on this one. If Cake had launched Blubture as a $99 special for the P5 club well things would have been different. I think there's more fun to be had producing a fat sound with leaner equipment...

Sorry Tom, but you might actually have to work on this one 'cos those presets aren't going to win it
    b rock
    RE: Another Rapture Review 2006/03/06 16:55:31 (permalink)
    sound like high quality, artery bursting, greasy drippiness to me. There's also some chubby bass within some of these, as well, and again, while part of it sounds like quality compression, a lot does sound awfully roly-poly.
    Jeez. Give him a Silver Medal, and all of a sudden it's Kristie Alley at Shoney's breakfast buffet. Faites comme chez vous.
    OK, Mr. High Fructose Corn Syrup, feast your Jimmy Dean ears on [THIS demo] ...

OK. I don't have one. Or Rapture, either. Yet. But I shot my mouth off, and I'll take my last breath (if necessary) trying to prove it now.
    If anything, you guys realize by now that I'm one stubborn S.O. B Rock. I like to call it determined.

Man. Why am I so hungry all of a sudden? I can't seem to get full ...
    René
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Another Rapture Review 2006/03/06 17:55:44 (permalink)
    There have been accusations leveled that Ratpure cannot produce as rotund sounds as some other synths, Twin being a notable example. And no Ratpure samples, yet, have dispelled this

Well, I think that if no Ratpure samples have dispelled this 'yet', it's time to start looking elsewhere guys, sorry to say that. Or rethinking what 'rotund' means

Anyways, I just had a conversation with Frank (the Pro-Sounds designer who did above twin demo). He did several of the factory patches in Rapture, and you'll be amazed by those. Here's a few words from him, respect his preliminar impression on Rapture, back in the alpha days:

/*
    Wow, I don't even know what to say. I ended up staying awake an extra two hours playing with Rapture last night, and just spent about 30 minutes designing my first preset for it. I'm stunned! It's like z3ta+ on steroids! There is an insane amount of control available here. The design possibilities are virtually endless. Lol, I'm a bit nervous that i'll suffer from being able to stop myself when it comes to tweaking every single patch to perfection. :) Amazing work here Rene.
    */

I asked him to put together something in the same style of the demo 'well-considered' above. World is about taste and opinions, but I'm so glad that his words about it were 'It was such a corny track'. In my very personal opinion, it doesn't show too much of any kind of fatness at all, but well opinions are just opinions.

Let's see what he can come with for Rapture, possibly it'll make clear how many calories per gram Rapture will offer.

-René
    b rock
    RE: Another Rapture Review 2006/03/06 18:11:31 (permalink)
    Let's see what he can come with for Rapture, possibly it'll make clear how many calories per gram Rapture will offer.
    Oh, so I'm out? Just like that? Some fly-by-night world-renowned sound designer flits in, and (just that quickly) I'm on the Jenny Craig diet.

That's OK. Bring him on, too. I'm going to out-fat Frank as well. Cage match. "Bust the deal, and face the wheel." What you guys don't realize is that I've been working out. Hershey's Special Dark by the glassful, wirth a Carvel chaser. When I trim my pork roasts now, I throw away what i used to cook, and eat the rest. Marinated in Kool-Aid. I've attached a few on my precious Curtis chips to my medulla as well.

No one takes a swamp dweller seriously anymore. Just wait ...
    René
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Another Rapture Review 2006/03/06 18:20:34 (permalink)
    Ack. It seems i'm an expert when it's about conveying bad feelings. Sorry b. You do know that if there's anybody that *I* want to put his hands on Rapture, that is you. You do know that, don't you?

-René
    b rock
    RE: Another Rapture Review 2006/03/06 18:33:08 (permalink)
    Sorry b. You do know that if there's anybody that *I* want to put his hands on Rapture, that is you. You do know that, don't you?
    Too late for that now, Rene. The damage is done. The first cut is the deepest. Heartbreak Hotel.
    I'd throw you into the cage-match challenge in a New York minute, too, but ... well, I'm afraid to.

Of course I know. And you know what I'm doing here as well. You must.
    oroboros
    RE: Another Rapture Review 2006/03/06 18:38:28 (permalink)
    I'm caught in a weird feedback loop. I keep saying bring some butter for my toast, and I keep hearing "Oh, you'll get your butter ... and some ice cream, cheese, cream, and cooking oil, too".

... there it goes again ...

... but I just keep getting hungrier ...

I wonder if I'm suffereing from lipodystrophy ("a disorder of fatty tissue characterized by a selective loss of body fat")?

How does one excite gators? Tease them with prospect of large hunks of fat?

As for corn content, agreed but not the point. We're not judging the song, but the sound. Let's stay focused here.

And what is a "fat" sound? Not really positive ... fanning flames mostly here ... wait, did I say that aloud? ... no ... good ... poke, poke, poke!
    post edited by oroboros - 2006/03/06 19:09:35

The Other P5 Forum
    Rick McNab
    RE: Another Rapture Review 2006/03/06 19:32:35 (permalink)
    Pithy commentary aside, this is great news, Rene. I just re-listened to Franks Twin demo and I would love to hear this exactly duplicated using Rapture. Styles are really irrelavent if the sounds used are those in the range and structure of those we are discussing. In other words, I would love to hear demos of some "standard" fat OBXa/Twin sounding synth brass, strings, and pads coming from Rapture. But whether they are in a 1980s throwback track, a DnB track, a late '90s trance track, or something else really doesn't matter that much. Most critical listeners will be able to imagine what the patches will sound like as part of the music they create, just like I am able to do when I listen to the Fab Filter Twin demos.

BTW, the Twin demo I really want to see Rapture challenge is the bManic demo. That is some (insert witty adjective to describe fat) s...t!

I continue to be more excited about Rapture after reading this post. Now who's got it?
    lost sheep
    RE: Another Rapture Review 2006/03/06 19:32:55 (permalink)
    Stuffed with lamb stew, lightly seasoned with double cream...

Rings around the moon

No less than 5 portions of impOSCar with a hint of reverb and some preset automation on the sequence. Played in true B Rock style as a single take!

Rick McNab
    RE: Another Rapture Review 2006/03/06 19:37:20 (permalink)
    impOscar is another bad boy in this world of fat. I might even choose it over Twin. It has such a rich and elegant sound. Nice track.

C'mon Rapture guys. Let's hear it do this type of thing. Check out the bass and mids on this track. It's liquidy. That's what I've yet to hear out of Rapture.
    b rock
    RE: Another Rapture Review 2006/03/06 20:57:24 (permalink)
    Pithy commentary aside
    Wow. That reminds me of a joke, Rick. It used to slay them about ten centuries back. I got it from Milton Berle.

So here's Thor: the god of thunder. Kicking some serious butt with his Mjollnir. What a cool sound! Anyway, the whole hammer thing (you know how guys are) made him the go-to guy for fertility rights. So, it was time to take on a wife. After all, he had a rep to maintain. After seaching far & wide, he came upon a beautiful valley, and a stunning young maiden named StepGens In a Freakout. Thor wasn't much of a talker, and she had a slight lisp, so he called her Sif.

Sif was a little big-boned, but that was exactly what Thor had burned into his mind's eye. That night under a new moon, Thor and Sif experienced a Rapture like none other. The full sounds of Rapture filled the night sky. In the morning, (as you can imagine), Thor was feeling pretty good about himself.

So he climbed to the top of the nearest mountain, beat his chest, and shouted at the top of his lungs: "I AM MIGHTY THOR!" It echoed to the valley below.
    From there, a faint feminine response was barely audible.

"You thiink that you're mighty thore. I can hardly pith."
    kb420
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1839
    RE: Another Rapture Review 2006/03/06 21:03:00 (permalink)
    "You thiink that you're mighty thore. I can hardly pith."

Hey B, you have issues man.

Serious issues.

LOL!
    Rick McNab
    RE: Another Rapture Review 2006/03/06 21:26:53 (permalink)
    It's a Miami Beach thing.
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1