Another hardware vs. software thread

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
awilki01
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 817
RE: Another hardware vs. software thread 2006/08/17 09:47:34 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: René

I don't 'think' Rapture has this 'smoothing' transition, but I could be mistaken.

It definitely does, and so does Dimension Pro. It lives as the fourth field of the Modulation Matrix, and it's called 'Smooth'. There you can control the time for the
interpolation: longer values will calculate more values (and consequently take longer to move from value A to value B).

-René

Right. I had caveated that above by stating the smooth non-aliasing could be done with the modulation matrix and the envelope generator. I was strictly talking about the MIDI learn feature and using a knob on my MIDI controller to control it. If I MIDI learn a knob in Rapture to my controller, there are only 128 possible states that knob can be in (due to the limitation of my 7-bit MIDI controller).

Oh.......hold on!!!!
You got me thinking now, René. If I MIDI learn a controller knob, I can get it's CC value, go to the MOD matrix and then add smoothing directly to that CC and knob in Rapture, correct?

I 'think' I learn something new everyday. This is a good thing...
fac
Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2427
RE: Another hardware vs. software thread 2006/08/17 12:33:59 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: awilki01
You got me thinking now, René. If I MIDI learn a controller knob, I can get it's CC value, go to the MOD matrix and then add smoothing directly to that CC and knob in Rapture, correct?

That's correct. Although it would be better if when you use MIDI Learn, the synth automatically sets up a corresponding entry in the MIDI Matrix.

Or maybe add another option to the right-click MIDI learn menu: "Send learnt controller to MIDI Matrix" (which also automatically forgets the CC).

http://facproductions.net

Lots of gear. Not enough time.
René
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1103
RE: Another hardware vs. software thread 2006/08/17 15:24:28 (permalink)
The Modulation Matrix assignments allow to 'attach' a MIDI CC to a given parameter so it works *in parallel* to the value you set in the knob. This is how DP and RP allow polyphonic modulations, and gives you an enormous assignment power.

For instance, using the Modulation Matrix you could attach the incoming MIDI note-on velocity value to filter cutoff. Then, if you play a chord, every note would get its own cutoff value, which would depend on the velocity of each particular note in the chord. On top of that, you could set a couple of MIDI controls, etc.

Each row in the Modulation Matrix gives you a new option to add a new modulation link. You could have multiple MIDI controls, modifying the same parameter (i.e. Cutoff), with different depths, and what's more interesting for this topic, different smooth values. If you reverse-engineer some DP and RP patches, you'll see that smooth values are not only used to 'hide' the stepping, but also with creative, motion-generating goals.

What you enter in the Modulation Matrix is valid for that particular patch. This allows you to create completely different setups for a pad, than for a lead, for instance. MIDI Learn, OTOH, is global: its goal is to 'adapt' your set of MIDI controllers to particular controls which you want to keep doing the same function in all patches and instances.

MIDI Learn is also many-to-many: you can have multiple MIDI Controls controlling the same parameter, and a single MIDI Control controlling multiple parameters. MIDI Learn doesn't have smoothing itself, and while it's theoretically possible to implement it would be rather limited when compared with the Modulation Matrix approach, considering the interaction between automation and MIDI Learn both fighting for same knob control.

We all know that the Modulation Matrix is an arcane, obscure terrain, while MIDI Learn is Disney fun. However, power needs to be somewhere: I do recommend everyone to dive a bit on it. The possibilities are enormous.

-René
fac
Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2427
RE: Another hardware vs. software thread 2006/08/17 16:58:28 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: René

We all know that the Modulation Matrix is an arcane, obscure terrain, while MIDI Learn is Disney fun.

Bah! You know DP's modulation matrix is baby's stuff.

Some of these guys need to try z3ta+ and see what's good.

http://facproductions.net

Lots of gear. Not enough time.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1