Any Sonar users switching over to Studio One ? What do you think of it?

Author
Chevy
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 168
2018/03/19 16:48:31 (permalink)

Any Sonar users switching over to Studio One ? What do you think of it?

I've been offline for over a year, and during the recent Black Friday sales thought I should grab a new DAW while they're on sale, and since Sonar was orphaned. I got a great deal on Studio One 3 Pro, but haven't used it yet. Just getting familiar with my old Sonar X3 Studio again, to remix and complete some old projects. Still like it, and of course not looking forward to the learning curve of a new DAW. 
I see lots of familiar "faces" here even after more than a year's absence...   are you guys going to stick with Sonar?  Any of you use Studio One and what do you think...  a good move?   My Sonar still crashes from time to time, and recall it being a little glitchy when I was doing recording a year ago. 

Focal Alpha 50's, Adam Sub7, Scarlett 6i6 2nd gen, Intel i5-2400 3.1GHZ quad core, 12GB Ram, Win 10, Sonar X3e Studio 64 bit.

15 Replies Related Threads

WallyG
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 833
    Re: Any Sonar users switching over to Studio One ? What do you think of it? 2018/03/19 16:56:59 (permalink)
    Chevy
    I've been offline for over a year, and during the recent Black Friday sales thought I should grab a new DAW while they're on sale, and since Sonar was orphaned. I got a great deal on Studio One 3 Pro, but haven't used it yet. Just getting familiar with my old Sonar X3 Studio again, to remix and complete some old projects. Still like it, and of course not looking forward to the learning curve of a new DAW. 
    I see lots of familiar "faces" here even after more than a year's absence...   are you guys going to stick with Sonar?  Any of you use Studio One and what do you think...  a good move?   My Sonar still crashes from time to time, and recall it being a little glitchy when I was doing recording a year ago. 

I'm sure this thread will get moved but, when Sonar went Tango-Uniform last fall, I researched alternative DAWs and bought Studio One 3 Pro. One of the best decisions I made (my second wife was the best!).

Very similar to Sonar in many respects, but I like the MIDI implementation better, and the project page for mastering is to die for.

I still read this forum, since there is a wealth of info that is applicable to any DAW, and waiting to see what happens with the new Sonar. If it gets better than SO, I might come back, but there would have to be many improvements.

Walt

Roland Jupiter 80, Roland D50, Roland Integra 7, Roland BK-7m, Yamaha Montage 6, ARP Odyssey, Excelsior Continental Artist, Roland FR-8X, 1967 Fender Jaguar, Fender Strat,  Fender 1965 Twin Reverb reissue, Selmer Trumpet, Akai EWI, Studio One 4 Professional, Melodyne Studio 4, Behringer X-Touch, RME Fireface UCX, MOTU MIDI Express XT - ADK Pro Audio Hex Xtreme 6 Core i7 4.5GHz, 64GB, 480GB SS, 3 X 3TB Hard Drives, Win 10, 2 X 27" & 1X 46" Monitors,
    My WEB site - www.gontowski.com/music
    bluzdog
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1928
    Re: Any Sonar users switching over to Studio One ? What do you think of it? 2018/03/19 17:02:31 (permalink)
    I'm diggin' S1 Pro. It takes some getting used to but it's pretty intuitive coming from Sonar. I picked up S1 on the crossgrade deal just to make sure I was up to speed in case Sonar became unusable. I'm happy having both Sonar and S1 as they have different strengths. Take it for a spin.

Rocky
    Starise
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7563
    Re: Any Sonar users switching over to Studio One ? What do you think of it? 2018/03/19 17:22:18 (permalink)
    I haven't switched over to Studio One as my main DAW. I like having it around as a backup program. It could be all you need or want.
    I much prefer Sonar when making my mixes for various reasons. Unless Sonar goes in a very bad direction I seriously doubt that will ever change.
    My last album was made in Sonar and I used Studio One as my mastering program. I have occasionally tracked in it too. It wasn't "knock your socks off" better in my opinion. Not so much better I would spend all of my time in it instead of Sonar. It has some cool features for sure. 
    It really becomes a very subjective decision based on your wants/needs. 
    Some people really like the integration Studio One has with Presonus hardware. Faderport and similar work just fine in Sonar too.
    The mindset of many music PC users including myself isn't brand loyal unless there is some kind of advantage to me.Otherwise I'll use whatever works for the best price.
    I would say if you liked working in Sonar wait and see.
    post edited by Starise - 2018/03/19 17:47:57

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
    3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
    Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
     CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

batsbrew
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re: Any Sonar users switching over to Studio One ? What do you think of it? 2018/03/19 17:52:44 (permalink)

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

BlixYZ
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 805
    Re: Any Sonar users switching over to Studio One ? What do you think of it? 2018/03/19 18:14:57 (permalink)
    They are both top notch DAWs.
    I prefer the look and feel and UI of Sonar, but Studio 1 has much better pitch and time stretching.

They both have great comping features and ARA integration is identical.

My crashes in Sonar are rare, but I've yet to have a single crash in Studio1

ProChannel and Fat Channel (Studio 1's version) are both nice to work with and great sounding.  
    I rely heavily on a large collecion of Waves plugins regardless of which DAW I'm using.

My primary interest in Studio 1 is the tight integration with the Presonus Series III Mixer/Interfaces.  
    It's a workflow I've waited years for.

Minus that software/hardware integration, I would only use Studio 1 for quantizing and editing the timing of audio.  The UI is terrible looking and confusing.  The track layers and sub groups don;t indent and all the shades of grey are the same.

Using other DAWs has definitley made me appreciate Sonar more.  I hope Sonar lives on and gets even better under its new ownership.

James W
    BlixYZ Recording Studio
    BlixYZ Records

Audient ASP800 thru Focusrite Saffire Pro 40
    Mackie Control Universal + C4
    Yamaha HS50's plus Matching Sub, Tannoy 501a
    Blue Baby Bottle, AT 4050, Neumann TLM 103, etc.
    UA 610, Focusrite/ART/Neve 2CH.
    Windows 10
    batsbrew
    Re: Any Sonar users switching over to Studio One ? What do you think of it? 2018/03/19 18:40:37 (permalink)
    project page.
    'nuff said.

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

abacab
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4464
    Re: Any Sonar users switching over to Studio One ? What do you think of it? 2018/03/19 19:30:46 (permalink)
    If PreSonus would add a chord track and an internal notation view, then it might become the "One".  It does just about everything else well.

Studio One is impressive, but v3 appears to be a work in progress.  We'll see what v4 brings.  As it is now, it's solid as a rock, as well as sleek and lightweight.  I picked it up cheap last year as a crossgrade, and I am still learning it.  I see no problem with having several tools, and using the tool that best fits the hand for any given task.  All DAWs do the same basic function, but the workflow for a particular task may be more efficient in one vs the others.

The only thing that I find annoying with the Studio One bundled instruments and plugins, as some are excellent, is they are locked to the DAW.  If I used another DAW in my workflow, I would be reluctant to use the S1 bundled plugs unless I planned to start and finish a project entirely within Studio One.  That may not be an issue for some, but I would like to be free to use as many tools as I need, ala carte, and not be stuck in one DAW due to my plugin dependencies.  I have enough 3rd party plugins at this point to make this a non issue, but still...  Come on PreSonus, loosen up a bit! 

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
    husker
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 35
    Re: Any Sonar users switching over to Studio One ? What do you think of it? 2018/03/19 19:52:53 (permalink)
    abacab
    The only thing that I find annoying with the Studio One bundled instruments and plugins, as some are excellent, is they are locked to the DAW. 

Cubase is the same way with their effects plug ins.  The instruments (at least those you can buy separately, like Padshop or Halion) are not locked.

Cubase Pro 10 / SPLAT
    Homebuilt PC - Gigabyte GA-170 HD3, Intel Core i7 6700k OC 4.5 GHz, Corsair Hydro H50 Cooling, 16 MB GSkills Ripjaw DDR4-2133, SanDisk Ultra II 960 Gb, NZXT-S340 Case, LG 34UC88
    Interfaces - Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd Gen / MOTU Midi Express XT USB
    Hardware - Roland FA08 / Moog Slim Phatty / Nord A1R / Maschine Mikro / Integra 7 / Prophet Rev2 16 Desktop
    bluzdog
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1928
    Re: Any Sonar users switching over to Studio One ? What do you think of it? 2018/03/19 20:03:28 (permalink)
    abacab
    If PreSonus would add a chord track and an internal notation view, then it might become the "One".  It does just about everything else well.

The Notion integration is pretty cool! It's an add-on but it's worth it especially if you catch it on sale.

Rocky
    Zargg
    • Total Posts : 10666
    Re: Any Sonar users switching over to Studio One ? What do you think of it? 2018/03/19 20:26:45 (permalink)
    I got S1 as a backup when the news came. Never switched though.
    I've recorded and mixed in it, as well as REAPER and (mixed in) MixBus.
    I know SONAR much better, but had no issues working in either DAW's.
    I work in Logic at times as well (at a friends studio), and see them all as tools.
    I just know some tools better than others

Ken Nilsen
    Zargg
    BBZ
    Win 10 Pro X64, Cakewalk by Bandlab, SPlat X64, AMD AM3+ fx-8320, 16Gb RAM, RME Ucx (+ ARC), Tascam FW 1884, M-Audio Keystation 61es, *AKAI MPK Pro 25, *Softube Console1, Alesis DM6 USB, Maschine MkII
    Laptop setup: Win 10 X64, i5 2.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 320gb 7200 RPM HD, Focusrite Solo, + *

abacab
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4464
    Re: Any Sonar users switching over to Studio One ? What do you think of it? 2018/03/19 21:51:54 (permalink)
    bluzdog
    abacab

The Notion integration is pretty cool! It's an add-on but it's worth it especially if you catch it on sale.

Rocky

I know, I have Notion, and basically stole it for a crossgrade price + a discount deal. 

It's really nice!  But there is still no notation view directly in the DAW.  It would be nice to just flip on a notation view when a MIDI clip is playing back in the DAW.  Editing the MIDI in a DAW PRV and viewing the notation in the DAW at the same time is useful.  Even Reaper can do this now.  Sonar has had it for ages...

And you may notice some griping over at the PreSonus forums about the need for a fully integrated Notion notation view in the DAW... 

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
    batsbrew
    Re: Any Sonar users switching over to Studio One ? What do you think of it? 2018/03/19 22:40:05 (permalink)
    WHAT I LIKE ABOUT S1P VER 3.5:

1. project page. worth the price of admission alone.
    2. IR maker. same as #1.
    3. Pro EQ- very straightforward, waterfall, lots of visual info.
    4. bus routing: the way it should be.
    5. VCA: pretty cool for setting up automation without going to the bus.
    6. ampire: sounds as good as anything else i've heard.
    7. groove delay: boy is this fun.
    8. multiband dynamics: could almost replace waves LPMBC.... almost.
    9. Pipeline Mono/Stereo : whoa.
    10. the meters. they are awesome.
    11. automation: creation of curves is dead easy.
    12. arranger track: way more powerful than what i had in sonar 6 pe.
    13. scratch pads. whoa. don't know about these? well, i'm sorry......
    14. browsing. the best of all platforms.
    15. multi instrument panel, and macro control knobs. for some folks, this would be the main selling point.
    16. stretching the faders in console view, all the way up to the top of the screen. whoa.
    17. Macros. man, i haven't dug into this fully yet, but the idea that you can set up a deep array of multiple commands and have them all automated, in order, via a macro, is super sweet. the build process is dirt simple.
    18. low latency monitoring: the way s1 does it, it's mighty powerful.
    19. drag and drop functions: super easy to create sends by just dragging effects.
    20. there's more than i have time for!

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

olemon
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 768
    Re: Any Sonar users switching over to Studio One ? What do you think of it? 2018/03/20 10:17:59 (permalink)
    bluzdog
    I'm diggin' S1 Pro. It takes some getting used to but it's pretty intuitive coming from Sonar. I picked up S1 on the crossgrade deal just to make sure I was up to speed in case Sonar became unusable. I'm happy having both Sonar and S1 as they have different strengths. Take it for a spin.

Rocky

That's pretty much my deal too.  +10 on knowing Sonar is a big help when it comes to learning S1.

https://www.reverbnation.com/scottholson

Platinum, Studio One 3 Pro, Win 10 (x64), AMD FX-8350, ASUS M5A97 R2.0, 16GB, RME UCX, Digimax DP88, Faderport 8, Revive Audio Mod Studio Channel, Vintage Audio M72, Summit Audio TLA-50, KRK Rokit 5 G2 Monitors, Guitars

"If you wait till the last minute, it only takes a minute."
    BassDaddy
    Max Output Level: -33 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4232
    Re: Any Sonar users switching over to Studio One ? What do you think of it? 2018/03/27 02:46:36 (permalink)
    I also went Studio One. I love the arranger view and scratch pad but my fav is the Remote app.  It works great on my ASUS ZenPad 3s 10. Besides wireless it adds a very usable touch screen to the mix. Really cool!
    post edited by BassDaddy - 2018/03/29 16:11:02

It's Bass, not Bass.
    i7 2700K, 16GB DDR3, 2 SSD sample drives and OS drive, HDD SATAIII for projects, 2 24" monitors
    Focusrite Saffire Pro 24, Focusrite VRM Box, LAVA Lamp, SONAR Platinum 64 bit, Mackie MCU and 1 MCU XT, Akai Advance 49, Windows 10,
    Komplete 9 Ultimate, Cakewalk, Toontrack, IK, AAS, XLN, UVI, Air Music Tech, Waves Factory, Sample Tek and Sonivox VSTi's. Overloud, T-Racks, Audio Damage, D16, Nomad Factory, Waves Gold FX 
    Jim Roseberry
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re: Any Sonar users switching over to Studio One ? What do you think of it? 2018/03/28 17:04:03 (permalink)
    Small thing...
    I'm not crazy about Studio One's "Clip Fade In/Out" (compared to Reaper or Samplitude)... as the fade curve choice is limited.  You can adjust the intensity of the fast of slow (log) curve (which is a step beyond SPLAT)... but it's "linear", "fast", or "slow" for the fade itself (no cosine option).

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1