Helpful ReplyWhat I like in Studio One

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
CadErik
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 216
2018/03/13 04:32:55 (permalink)

What I like in Studio One

I am really excited to see that Sonar found a new home and has a new team, it is a relief to see that all this work will continue its journey. Meanwhile, I did buy Studio One and while there are features I miss in Sonar, there are few key things in S1 that I am hoping to see in Sonar:
  • By far, in S1, the performance and playback stability are way better than Sonar. Plugin load/switch/patch load, etc are significantly faster. It is surprising how much difference it makes at the end of the day when you work on a large project.
  • The playback and recording are smoother. I had to switch back and forth recently between S1 and Sonar, pressing play and record in S1 is way more stable than Sonar. I have seen too many times tempo getting out of sync in Sonar with VST plugins, midi notes forgotten under heavy load and other glitches.
  • PDC can go crazy in Sonar with loops and heavy load. I've seen tracks with seconds of delay.
  • Yes, the S1 arranger is amazing, but after switching back and forth, it is really the 3 items above that make the difference. Ripple edit can do a lot of arranging stuff.
What worries me is that the audio engine related stuff is not sexy and not easy to market. I hope that we are going to see more under the hood improvements rather than new features. However, there are few other things that I learned while using Studio One about Sonar
  • Sonar has an amazing UI. The UI handles everything, layers, clips, etc and it is so clear and easy to manipulate midi and audio. 
  • The step sequencer is awesome. The way it is integrated in the midi events is just perfect.
  • The editing workflow of layers+takes is perfect.
  • The built-in plugins are top notch. Between tape and console emulation, everything is right there.
Erik.
dannyjmusic
  • Total Posts : 237
Re: What I like in Studio One 2018/03/13 10:41:50 (permalink)
I agree with stability issues. I also had years of crashing over things as simple as dragging a clip from one track to another....or locking up just because it had been left idol for an hour or 2
highlandermak
  • Total Posts : 214
Re: What I like in Studio One 2018/03/13 13:55:38 (permalink)
Ditto, I'm remixing a 10 song project in S1 that started in Sonar. In S1 I'm able to handle 40 tracks per song where as with Sonar I was pushing it if I went to 24 due to the constant dropout issue. That being said I still feel Sonar's functions overall are better than S1 and still kept a couple mixes that were solid.

Computer: CYBERPOWERPC Gamer Xtreme VR GXiVR8140A Gaming PC
CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core | Intel Z370 Express Chipset
Graphic: NVIDIA GTX 1080 8GB
USB: 6 x USB 3.1 | 2 x USB 2.0 | 1x RJ-45 Network Ethernet 10/100/1000
Storage: 240GB SSD+2TB HDD
Application(DAW): Studio One 3 Pro and SONAR PLATINUM - Version (Most current update)
Audio Interfaces: PreSonus Studio 192 and Focusrite: Scarlett 6i6 (Most current updates)
batsbrew
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10037
Re: What I like in Studio One 2018/03/13 14:41:17 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby michaelhanson 2018/03/13 16:10:34
WHAT I LIKE ABOUT S1P VER 3.5:

1. project page. worth the price of admission alone.
2. IR maker. same as #1.
3. Pro EQ- very straightforward, waterfall, lots of visual info.
4. bus routing: the way it should be.
5. VCA: pretty cool for setting up automation without going to the bus.
6. ampire: sounds as good as anything else i've heard.
7. groove delay: boy is this fun.
8. multiband dynamics: could almost replace waves LPMBC.... almost.
9. Pipeline Mono/Stereo : whoa.
10. the meters. they are awesome.
11. automation: creation of curves is dead easy.
12. arranger track: way more powerful than what i had in sonar 6 pe.
13. scratch pads. whoa. don't know about these? well, i'm sorry......
14. browsing. the best of all platforms.
15. multi instrument panel, and macro control knobs. for some folks, this would be the main selling point.
16. stretching the faders in console view, all the way up to the top of the screen. whoa.
17. Macros. man, i haven't dug into this fully yet, but the idea that you can set up a deep array of multiple commands and have them all automated, in order, via a macro, is super sweet. the build process is dirt simple.
18. low latency monitoring: the way s1 does it, it's mighty powerful.
19. drag and drop functions: super easy to create sends by just dragging effects.
20. there's more than i have time for!

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

BlixYZ
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 805
Re: What I like in Studio One 2018/03/13 15:12:05 (permalink)
For me, sonar playback has been tight for years. Overall performance has been impressive, even in very large projects. However, I use Ctrl arrow for coming in and out constantly, and every once in a while when I'm doing things really fast, that crashes sonar. Been a problem for years across different computers and OSs.
I agree that the UI of sonar is better. Looking at S1 when comping layers is a nightmare. No indent, similar shades of grey. Terrible.
That being said, the time and pitch stretch may be the best in the industry.
Stability has been impressive. Not a single crash.
Wouldn't know about latency in monitoring because I always use hardware monitoring.
The bundled plugins seem equivalent, with each having some area of advantage. I'm sticking primarily to waves at the moment.
I bought S1 and a series iii mixer for the tight integration. For me, that is the only reason I'll gravitate towards S1 for the time being.

James W
BlixYZ Recording Studio
BlixYZ Records

Audient ASP800 thru Focusrite Saffire Pro 40
Mackie Control Universal + C4
Yamaha HS50's plus Matching Sub, Tannoy 501a
Blue Baby Bottle, AT 4050, Neumann TLM 103, etc.
UA 610, Focusrite/ART/Neve 2CH.
Windows 10
pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: What I like in Studio One 2018/03/13 16:39:39 (permalink)
mmmm, i love the smell of fresh code in the morning...

just a sec

batsbrew
Re: What I like in Studio One 2018/03/13 17:56:41 (permalink)
BlixYZ

I agree that the UI of sonar is better. Looking at S1 when comping layers is a nightmare. No indent, similar shades of grey. Terrible.

why have you not bothered to learn how to change the colors?
dead simple.

Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Marshall
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 602
Re: What I like in Studio One 2018/03/13 18:05:06 (permalink)
batsbrew

2. IR maker. same as #1.
15. multi instrument panel, and macro control knobs. for some folks, this would be the main selling point.
16. stretching the faders in console view, all the way up to the top of the screen. whoa.
17. Macros. man, i haven't dug into this fully yet, but the idea that you can set up a deep array of multiple commands and have them all automated, in order, via a macro, is super sweet. the build process is dirt simple.
19. drag and drop functions: super easy to create sends by just dragging effects.

This is a brilliant list - half of which I have discovered since I switched away from Sonar, and the other half I am about to discover! On top of that, it is of course rock solid.

The only thing I wish SO could do is - the ability to drag a clip from one track to another and lock its position by holding down (say) shift as you drag - like Sonar does.

Oh, and sound on sound recording, although I'm weaning myself off that.
Stone House Studios
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3550
Re: What I like in Studio One 2018/03/13 18:18:11 (permalink)

Oh, and sound on sound recording, although I'm weaning myself off that.

I have the same issue with IPA's! 

Brian

Core i7-6700@3.40Ghz  Windows 10x64 16 GB RAM
Sonar Platinum/Studio One     PreSonus Studio 192
azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: What I like in Studio One 2018/03/13 18:31:07 (permalink)
batsbrew
BlixYZ
dead simple.

Watching https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zg4d0mXRxvA I have not noticed the problem with colors. But how layers "behave" looks a bit funny.
All that "folders", "buses", "layers" and "AUX" was in any case artificial for me, so I am glad that I have left them behind and moved to natural (for computers) technology...

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
Starise
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7563
Re: What I like in Studio One 2018/03/13 18:36:27 (permalink)
I have the occasional drop out issue with Sonar. Very occasional as in almost never so that isn't a deal breaker for me. Sometimes it can be a computer setup that causes these kinds of issues.

I believe that with the additions made to Sonar before the Gibson news ,Sonar  comes head to head with S1. Both have similar features and Sonar is easier on the eyes. Both programs are well worth owning. I suppose it was inevitable that we would have people who crossed over and like S1 better in light of what went down.. It was an easy cross over for many. I own a recent copy of S1 pro. If forced to use S1 I would have made it my main daw. It does a lot of the stuff musicians need to do most often well.It leaves out some of the other more complex stuff. That doesn't seem to matter to most who don't use those features. I won't ever argue that it's not a good daw. Probably one of the best all rounders you could ever own.
Having hardware support is always helpful too and we aren't talking 100 dollar interfaces. They have some really nice hardware.
So if you don't come back I understand, but I think it might help you to hang around and see what happens. Seriously. If you like the way Sonar worked before or if you liked the way some features worked better than the others there's no sin in having a few daws around. 
Nothing beats Sonar for me when doing  tracking/mixing. S1 is a close second however it isn't as easy on the eyes. Tired eyes that look at a computer all day. I want to keep using my 32 bit plug ins as long as I can. I don't need to worry about importing/exporting compressed file types or anything else for that matter. The others don't all do that. Don't believe me? Try it and see.

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
 CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

paulo
Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6218
Re: What I like in Studio One 2018/03/13 21:04:59 (permalink)

Duplicated by moderation.
post edited by paulo - 2018/03/18 11:20:01
batsbrew
Re: What I like in Studio One 2018/03/13 21:11:51 (permalink)
well, i'm not convinced.
and if you don't get into specifics, then it's hard to discuss differences..
i simply said what i liked about S1p, the specifics i mentioned about s1p that sonar didn't do,
is still the most relevant of the list of items

Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--

paulo
Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6218
Re: What I like in Studio One 2018/03/13 21:15:55 (permalink)
batsbrew

2. IR maker. same as #1.

Without getting into specifics, comparing the latest incarnation of S1 to Sonar 6 is apples v oranges.

IMHO S1 has some nice features, does seem a little snappier, but is not as crashproof as people claim in my experience. It's also fugly and overall Platinum still has it beat for me.
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 729
Re: What I like in Studio One 2018/03/13 22:11:45 (permalink)
paulo

but is not as crashproof as people claim in my experience. It's also fugly and overall Platinum still has it beat for me.

Oh but it is, in my experience anyway, in the almost 3 years since I jumped ship from SONAR it has only crashed once, and that was when I tried out the new Cakewalk LP plugs, immediate crash on insertion, I assure you the irony of that was not lost on me and audio engine drop outs? what are they? the only place I have ever experienced them were in SONAR.

As for looks (somewhat subjective) I can no longer stand being in the SONAR environment (bugs, flakiness and instability aside) it just looks tired and old and butt ugly to me. IMO Studio One creams SONAR 5 ways from Sunday, I can't wait until something better comes along, because that will be a doozie.

But it's all nothing but personal opinion, as long as you are being honest with yourself, use whatever you like or find is best to and for YOU

Intel i7 4790 @3.6Ghz - 32GB Ram - Windows 10 Pro 64bit - RME Fireface UFX+
Studio One 4 Professional, REAPER, CbB-(Couldnb't be Bothered)
More Plugs than Plumbers Warehouse.

Happy Studio One User Since August 2015

"It's the entertainment value, the comic relief . . . plus the Software and Deals Forum"

batsbrew
Re: What I like in Studio One 2018/03/13 22:17:06 (permalink)
Starise
Sonar  comes head to head with S1. Both have similar features and Sonar is easier on the eyes.

if you have not fully jumped in and learned how to use S1P, then you really don't know.
and i don't get these 'easy on the eyes' stuff, everything about the display is editable.

StariseSo if you don't come back I understand, but I think it might help you to hang around and see what happens.

i can't help it if sonar went t!ts up right when i was building my new DAW.......
i doubt i'll be back, after spending all the time it's going to take to get as adept at S1 as i was with sonar.
but i'll still be around!

StariseNothing beats Sonar for me when doing  tracking/mixing. 

kinda feel the same way about Studio One now.....

and the project page?!!
man, how did i live without that thing!
the way it works, and the way it is integrated into the working songs pages....
wow, that's what the new sonar needs to do, PRONTO!

Just finished mastering my new album using nothing but the project page and a couple of Waves plugs....

you don't know what you are missing.

Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--

jpetersen
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1499
Re: What I like in Studio One 2018/03/13 22:44:40 (permalink)
batsbrew
dead simple.

This is my issue exactly. Having to re-learning everything, just to do the same thing.
batsbrew
Re: What I like in Studio One 2018/03/13 23:18:39 (permalink)
jpetersen
batsbrew
dead simple.

This is my issue exactly. Having to re-learning everything, just to do the same thing.

Here's, it's like listening to a kid whine about having to pick his room up... :)

Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--

clintmartin
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3893
Re: What I like in Studio One 2018/03/14 00:07:26 (permalink)
I haven't had any audio issues with Sonar (since X3 came out) that wasn't related to Win 10 or my aging Presonus 44VSL.
On Win 7 everything works perfectly.
Being I already had 2 other DAWs I like to use...I decided to wait and see what would happen with Cakewalk. I certainly don't blame anyone for switching. It was Cakewalk that shut the doors after all.
Having said all of that...I don't care what DAW anyone uses. What ever makes you happy and productive.

Cakewalk, Harrison Mixbus 4, Waveform 9, ADK intel i7 2600 3.40 ghz, 8gb Ram, Win 7, Presonus Audiobox 44VSL. 
http://www.youtube.com/c/clintmartinmusic
https://itunes.apple.com/...lint-martin/1010966023
https://open.spotify.com/artist/4x4TBz32i56bTJkgu7b4tN

batsbrew
Re: What I like in Studio One 2018/03/14 15:18:57 (permalink)
well, so far,
s1p is making my happy and productive,
and i was able to let go of all that angst over what was going to, or not going to happen, to sonar.

i'd like to read some more success stories on s1.........

Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--

jude77
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1146
Re: What I like in Studio One 2018/03/14 16:30:59 (permalink)
batsbrew
well, so far,
s1p is making my happy and productive,
and i was able to let go of all that angst over what was going to, or not going to happen, to sonar.

i'd like to read some more success stories on s1.........

I do like PS1-3, because it's sooooooooooooooooo easy.  I've had it for four months now and only looked at the manual three times.  I think it sounds beautiful.  I've read articles that say it's impossible to tell one DAW from another, but I swear PS1 sounds more open and defined tan SONAR.  Maybe that's a placebo effect, dunno.  It can also handle huge project loads much better than SONAR. I have yet to experience a dropout.  I do miss the FX bin in SONAR terribly.  Also, I love the GUI on both SONAR and Reaper.  To me PS1 looks like a big gummy bear.  But in the end it's about how well things work, so I can certainly be forgiving of that. 

When CW went belly up I was depressed for weeks.  I tried PS1, Samplitude and Reaper.  None of them made me happy.  Now I'm working with PS1 more and thinking I could bond with it.  When BL brings out their version of SONAR I'll definitely take a look, but right now I have a feeling that the future lies with PS.

You haven't lived until you've taken the Rorschach.

Windows 10 Home Edition 64-bit /6th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.0 GHz)/16GB (1x16GB) DDR4 2133MHz SDRAM Memory/ NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GT 730 with 2GB DDR3 Graphics Memory/ Dell KB216 Wired Multi-Media Keyboard English Black/ 802.11ac + Bluetooth
4.0/Integrated 7.1 with WAVE MAXXAudio Pro/Wireless 3165 driver
azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: What I like in Studio One 2018/03/14 17:56:19 (permalink)
jude77
 I think it sounds beautiful.  I've read articles that say it's impossible to tell one DAW from another, but I swear PS1 sounds more open and defined tan SONAR.  Maybe that's a placebo effect, dunno.

As several tests have shown, basic mixing engines NULL. I mean it is out of discussion whether it is possible to tell the difference when there is no difference, digitally it is outside of the best DACs capabilities. That means even in case some alien can spot such difference in the sound, the equipment available on the earth now is unable to produce it.
All tests I have seen which try to prove the difference have "bugs", like using fixed point (24bit WAV) audio files with silence and then cranking it +100dB. So calling the differences in particular rounding and dithering.

Sure, as soon as you put faders or pan knobs into "the same" graphical position... Different fader curves and current pan-law come into the game. And finally when some "exclusive" FX (which does not work outside particular DAW) is in use, the sound is different. But that is not the "sound of the DAW".

To test, try to null 3-4 tracks mix without FXes in Sonar and S1. You will find the job is not as easy as someone can think. But after you have done that once, you will learn what are the first options/preferences/adjustments you should do/check when importing track from one of these DAWs into another. I mean that can be valuable knowledge in practice

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
batsbrew
Re: What I like in Studio One 2018/03/14 18:50:56 (permalink)
jude77

I do miss the FX bin in SONAR terribly.  

hmmm.. that's interesting,
because one of the things i like the most about S1, is how easy it is to grab and use FX.
maybe that's an area you can play around with more,
because its super powerful and super easy.

Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--

Starise
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7563
Re: What I like in Studio One 2018/03/15 18:07:19 (permalink)
batsbrew
well, i'm not convinced.
and if you don't get into specifics, then it's hard to discuss differences..
i simply said what i liked about S1p, the specifics i mentioned about s1p that sonar didn't do,
is still the most relevant of the list of items

I'm glad you found something you like Bat, and as I say can't hardly blame people for jumping ship given the circumstances we had.
My "easy on the eyes" comment comes from my preference for the graphic user interface in Sonar. It's just better all around to me. I don't say this entirely because I have bad eyes. I have 20/20 seeing distance and with my prescription glasses on I can see into the pores on my hand. I ordered those especially for computer work, anti-glare all of that. The problem with looking at a daw mainly comes into play over long periods of time. My job involves computers all day long. I have two 22" computer screens when running my daws and I STILL prefer Sonar to almost any other daw I've seen to date. Studio One has small fonts and a crammed looking GUI compared to Sonar. When I'm running a project I want large and spacious. Sonar gives me that. If you get used to S1 it isn't a deal breaker. You can use it ok. I don't think it has as many Graphic options as Sonar.

The other stuff people mention like ease of using effects. I must be missing something. I have never had an issue with effects either single or in chains. Either in the FX box or in the PC. SO3 is drag and drop. Sonar is drag and drop.
Sonar still allows you to use 32 bit along with 64bit effects unlike others. Have you ever felt the frustration of grabbing a vst instrument or effect and attempting to use it only to be told your daw won't accept it? Especially when you've invested a significant amount of money in them.
SO3 won't deal with Mp4. Neither will Ableton. Sonar...no problem.

I have the SO3 and I'm just not convinced it is really head and shoulders better. It is good. It is usable. It gets the job done well.It does some things better and some things it doesn't do at all.It's a nice tool to have in my box, especially for mastering albums. Other than that, if I'm staring at something for 4 hours I would rather it be Sonar. Just me.

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
 CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: What I like in Studio One 2018/03/15 18:54:55 (permalink)
batsbrew

15. multi instrument panel

+1

Many great points, but #15 is special! 

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: What I like in Studio One 2018/03/15 19:42:01 (permalink)
I actually prefer the Studio One GUI.  I am still looking at it way more than most people here and it never bothers me.  I am using it on two monitors as well and having the mixer on a separate screen and fully vertically extended is very nice indeed.  It looks fantastic on a Mac especially a high res one.  It is quite adjustable in fact.  Stability is still way ahead in all areas.  External midi timing kills Sonar, end of story.  It is faster, smoother and just better as far as I am concerned.  Its gapless engine for both audio and midi are light years ahead.  Sonar never got that right.  There are tons of things you can do on the fly that Sonar cannot even contemplate.  There are free MP4 to wave converters around too.  Easily sorted that issue. Integration into Presonus hardware is amazing especially the new range of Series III mixers.  V4 is coming with some seriously amazing features. 

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
michaelhanson
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3529
Re: What I like in Studio One 2018/03/15 20:11:50 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jude77 2018/03/15 20:25:43
I am currently working 2 new songs in Studio One and one new song in Sonar.  I find there are things that I really like better in Studio One, but I am still pretty much finding my way around the program. 

My biggest complaint right now is just the learning curve.  Some things, even after I have figured them out, I will go back after a couple of days away from S1 and I can't remember how I did it.  Having used Sonar for over 10 years, I never really have to think about what I am doing, it just became second nature.  I think once I get really comfortable working within S1, it will become second nature as well.  It really won't matter to me then, which program I am working with.  

One thing that I wish Studio One would change, and maybe I just don't yet know how to do it, would be to give me an option to make the tracks even wider in Track View.  I know there is a narrow version and a wider version, but I wish there was an extra wide.  I generally don't use tons of tracks in my songs and could easily manage with them being a tad bit wider.  

Mike

https://soundcloud.com/michaeljhanson
https://www.facebook.com/michaeljhanson.music
iTunes:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/scandalous-grace/id1180730765

Platinum Lifetime, Focusrite 8i6 & 2i4, Gibson LP, ES335, Fender Strat, 4003 Rickenbacker
BMI
jude77
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1146
Re: What I like in Studio One 2018/03/15 20:31:35 (permalink)
michaelhanson
I am currently working 2 new songs in Studio One and one new song in Sonar.  I find there are things that I really like better in Studio One, but I am still pretty much finding my way around the program. 

My biggest complaint right now is just the learning curve.  Some things, even after I have figured them out, I will go back after a couple of days away from S1 and I can't remember how I did it.  Having used Sonar for over 10 years, I never really have to think about what I am doing, it just became second nature.  I think once I get really comfortable working within S1, it will become second nature as well.  It really won't matter to me then, which program I am working with. 

That is exactly what I've been trying to say.  I never used more than 10% of SONAR's functions; and I'll probably do about the same with SP1-3, so I'll never really know which is the "better" DAW.  To be totally honest I'm just hating learning a new program, and, again to be very honest, I'm sure I'm interpreting that as "liking SONAR better".  Hopefully, after I've used them both for a while I'll find them both useful and great. 

You haven't lived until you've taken the Rorschach.

Windows 10 Home Edition 64-bit /6th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.0 GHz)/16GB (1x16GB) DDR4 2133MHz SDRAM Memory/ NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GT 730 with 2GB DDR3 Graphics Memory/ Dell KB216 Wired Multi-Media Keyboard English Black/ 802.11ac + Bluetooth
4.0/Integrated 7.1 with WAVE MAXXAudio Pro/Wireless 3165 driver
InstrEd
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1276
Re: What I like in Studio One 2018/03/15 21:37:33 (permalink)
Jeff Evans
  V4 is coming with some seriously amazing features. 

Jeff you're such a tease

Instred
Chicagoland, IL 

Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: What I like in Studio One 2018/03/16 09:12:35 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby michaelhanson 2018/03/17 03:26:48
michaelhanson
One thing that I wish Studio One would change, and maybe I just don't yet know how to do it, would be to give me an option to make the tracks even wider in Track View.  I know there is a narrow version and a wider version, but I wish there was an extra wide.  I generally don't use tons of tracks in my songs and could easily manage with them being a tad bit wider.  

Hold down SHIFT and press E to widen the track widths. Keep holding SHIFT and pressing E and each press will widen the track headers.  You can set them to any size you want.  Hold SHIFT and press W to narrow them again. There are other ways too.  To the right of that little downward pointing triangle where you mentioned to set the track header size is a little fader that pops up.  Click and hold on that.  You can adjust the header size there too. You can also grab the bottom of the track header in the middle and drag the size.  Select multiple tracks and you will effect all of them the same way. 

InstrEd

Jeff you're such a tease

Not really. Major updates usually bring in some great new things.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1