Helpful ReplyAnybody have trouble hearing?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
JohnKenn
Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1659
2017/05/29 22:22:04 (permalink)

Anybody have trouble hearing?

Sure this has been thrashed before, but wonder how many if anyone (but me) has suffered hearing loss in the rock n' roll trenches. Any immortal idiots out there currently not using ear plugs when you crank it up?

Twas a time when you didn't use hearing protection. The issue was not an issue. Could never get myself to see the West Virginia band Heavy Rain out of an inferiority complex. 3 piece band with floor to ceiling Marshals and the guitarist likened unto a god. Said he bled from his ears. Saw a sobering interview with Pete Townsend on what is left of his hearing.

I was never a great musician, but had good managers. The girls and drugs were there if you could make it loud, no matter what it sounded like.

My demise was when a company called "Sunda" offered to outfit the band with wall to wall dual 15 cabinets and macho watt heads if we would just go out there and break glass to their credit.

I'd felt my hearing go down a bit over the years, but projected to the distant future that I'd be some aged cripple 30 year old before anything mattered. Left ear was always against the amps. One gig was over and I realized I couldn't hear out of my left ear. Got some of it back, but permanent damage.

Still a bummer and limits how much noise I can handle.

You guys still okay hearing wise. If so WEAR YOUR EAR PLUGS !!!

Love,
John
bapu
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 86000
KenB123
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1229
Re: Anybody have trouble hearing? 2017/05/29 23:48:10 (permalink)
Tinnitus. Fortunately it is not affecting my life. I do cringe thinking back attending loud music concerts in younger days. Although a recent attendance comes to mind at a local nightclub venue where the headliner was Reverend Horton Heat. My neighbor friend is a big fan and invited me to attend. Prior to the second band of the venue my friend offered me some ear plugs. Then Nashville Pussy came on. Damn if I wasn't grateful for those ear plugs. It literally scared me how loud they were in that medium sized nightclub. I was fine by having the earplugs on, but cringed seeing a young crowd without them. Only reminded me of my foolish days watching Blue Cheer blast out full volume, where I was standing in front of the guitarist and could not hear the drummer who was beating the hell out of the drums a few feet away.

I totally agree with your advice, John.

Broken pencils are pointless.

WIN-7 64-bit; Sonar X2A 64-bit; 12GB RAM; ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 MB; Intel Core i7-960; 300GB-OS (10000-RPM); 1TB-Projects (7200-RPM); 1TB-Samples (7200-RPM) 

sharke
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: Anybody have trouble hearing? 2017/05/30 03:58:55 (permalink)
I'm amazed my hearing is what it is, although it goes silent after about 15-16kHz. I remember being partially deaf for a whole day after seeing Dio play in 1987 - we were right at the front next to a giant speaker and it was ear splitting. I still can't believe, they won't let you take drugs "because it's for your own good" but they have no problem letting people - even children and teenagers - attend events which are almost guaranteed to permanently damage their hearing. 

Then I was in a thrash band for a while, and the 4 hour practice sessions in a small room standing right next to the drummer probably did some more damage. After that it was the whole rave era and I attended deafening raves and parties almost every other week for a few years, out of my head on drugs of course and dancing away next to huge speakers as a 303 bass line with a resonant filter vivisected my eardrums. 

And of course over the years I've probably abused headphones a lot. I blame the whole lifestyle of smoking weed for that. You get carried away with music through the cans. In fact I'm pretty sure the tinnitus I have today began with the release of DJ Shadow's "Endtroducing" album in the 1990's, which I listened to on cans non-stop with a doobie in my hand for a good few weeks. 

Then I've had 15 or so years in NYC, taking the subway multiple times a day and having my ears assaulted by screeching train brakes. Not to mention all the fire trucks and ambulances which pass me on the street every day, not all of which I remember to shield my ears from. Oh and I always end up having to walk past at least one jackhammer every day, those are pretty brutal. 

I'm surprised I'm not profoundly deaf to be honest. I think it's the large supplemental doses of magnesium I've taken for years, lol. 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
jamesg1213
  • Total Posts : 21760
Re: Anybody have trouble hearing? 2017/05/30 07:29:36 (permalink)
I had a bad ear infection last year and had my hearing checked after it had cleared up, seems like it's pretty good for my age (57), although I have a very low rumbling tinnitus, which I think was caused by 2 years of driving 1000-1500 a week in 2002-4.

Ditto on the loud concerts though, people talk about 'going deaf' at gigs, but my wife and I literally couldn't hear anything for about 15 minutes after an AC/DC concert.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
mudgel
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re: Anybody have trouble hearing? 2017/05/30 11:13:21 (permalink)
I don't go above 83db. listening in my studio.

I haven't had professional hearing tests but at 1.8 metre from my speakers I can't hear reliably above 13.6 kHz. On a good day I can manage about 14.2. I'm 63. Bummer hey

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
Brando
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2776
Re: Anybody have trouble hearing? 2017/05/30 13:08:22 (permalink)
This looks like a neat site
http://www.audiocheck.net/

Brando
Cakewalk, Studio One Pro, Reaper
Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL
ASUS Prime Z370-A LGA1151, 32GB DDR4, Intel 8700K i7, 500 GB SSD, 3 x 1TB HDD, Windows 10 Pro 64
Slugbaby
Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4172
Re: Anybody have trouble hearing? 2017/05/30 13:09:31 (permalink)
I normally use earplugs when rehearsing loudly, but never on a stage.  I just can't perform comfortably with them.
After a couple of decades playing on loud stages, clubbing, and doing everything that SHOULD deafen me, I still have very good hearing.  If anything, my hearing is getting better.  Slight noises seem louder now, and when I go to the movies I have to wear earplugs!

The only time my hearing degrades seems to be when my wife asks me to do stuff.

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
bitman
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4105
Re: Anybody have trouble hearing? 2017/05/30 13:57:35 (permalink)
I think my localization is beginning to suffer - which is disturbing as I like to walk in the woods for one.
I seem to cue on the first reflection in a reflective room making me think sounds came from the apposite place than they did. Or where my wife says they did anyway. She's nine months older so I don't know, but it's happening more and more.
57Gregy
  • Total Posts : 14404
Re: Anybody have trouble hearing? 2017/05/30 14:02:08 (permalink)
I've had ear problems from a very young age due to numerous ear infections that completely destroyed my right ear drum and damaged the left. I had a timpanoplasty done on the right when I was about 10 which helped, but never brought it back to normal.
A few years ago, unremitting tinnitus started (previously it was occasional) and I have to turn up the volume on everything to get the level above my constant ear-ringing.
So, I began my RNR life with existing hearing deficiencies and it isn't going to get better.

Greg 
I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
craigb
  • Total Posts : 41704
Re: Anybody have trouble hearing? 2017/05/30 14:03:33 (permalink)
Slugbaby

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
bapu
Re: Anybody have trouble hearing? 2017/05/30 14:04:01 (permalink)
Slugbaby

Ha!
bapu
JohnKenn
Re: Anybody have trouble hearing? 2017/05/31 23:33:20 (permalink)
Don’t know if anyone knows this, but some antibiotics and even over the counter pain killers are a good way to kill hearing, maybe permanently. Less so with aspirin type stuff because you can back off when the ringing in the ears starts and usually recover. Usually...

Some of our antibiotics are however killer to the ears and so toxic they even knock out your sense of balance.

Bitflipper is out there currently with a chain saw doing battle with the blackberries. If he gets a deep prick and it gets infected, the docs will try some powerful stuff you can take at home, but if that doesn’t contain the spread, they are forced to drag out the big guns.

We wander into the clinic to get the heavy stuff and don’t realize the cast of many behind the scenes trying not to kill us in search of the cure. If the levels at the low end of elimination are too elevated, your kidneys can rot out in a couple days. If the levels a couple hours after taking the things is too hi, that’s where your hearing gets nuked.

Still troubled by a patient I had some time ago. He was placed on a machomatic bug blaster trying to save a leg from falling off. Normally a facility way far away monitored and adjusted blood levels of the drug. They sent us a request to monitor and adjust, but we never got the request. The poor guy went on for about 5 weeks as blood levels of the toxin went to radioactive. The guy went deaf and couldn’t walk any more after we fried his balance circuit.

Hearing loss with the antibiotics and “NSAID” pain relievers usually hits the hi end first making it hard to catch early since conversation is mid range. First clue might be that you ask the person if he heard the bird chirping and get the response, what bird?

John
sharke
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: Anybody have trouble hearing? 2017/06/01 02:28:15 (permalink)
I had really bad earache recently and was terrified it was a big infection and they'd tell me I had to take antibiotics. I've heard of cases of people getting tinnitus or hearing loss from taking certain antibiotics and so I really didn't want to take anything. On the other hand, an ear infection.....hmm!

So what I did was gorge on garlic pills. I usually take a couple of them a day because they seem to keep colds away for me (at least I've never had a cold since I started taking them), but I upped the dose to 8 or 10 a day. Couple of days later, earache completely gone. Of course I can't be sure it was the garlic but hey, that's my story and I'm sticking to it....

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
bapu
Re: Anybody have trouble hearing? 2017/06/01 02:45:34 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby craigb 2017/06/01 02:55:24
Maybe it wasn't an earache but a vampire instead.
bayoubill
  • Total Posts : 10899
Re: Anybody have trouble hearing? 2017/06/01 03:01:29 (permalink)
My hearing is terrible. I receive new hearing aids in a couple of weeks
hoping for better results 

SWAMP MUSIC
Sonar PLATINUM        
Studio Cat DAW

JohnKenn
Re: Anybody have trouble hearing? 2017/06/01 17:49:04 (permalink)
Glad Sharke's ear infection is cured and mega doses of garlic may have helped. Not so happy about Bayou's hearing aids.

Rambling note about ear infections and antibiotics...
Works wonders if it is the right fit, but...

You go into the doc with a bad ear infection. Very easy to tell in most cases that you got an infection, but not possible to know what is causing it without some real invasive procedures and time to identify.
There are maybe 3 more common causes of the bacterial infections that should respond to some general penicillin type agents, that is if they rolled the dice right.
Likely also that the bug is something else that the abx won't touch, or the right bug that is resistant. Then there are the viral sources that the antibiotic has no power over.
Means that in many cases, you get all the poisoning and side effects of the medicine with no curative benefit. The prescription you left the office with is a shot in the dark. Educated guess, but still a guess.

The smoke and mirrors part of this is that the body will in most cases cure the infection on its own within 2 weeks. You've been puking your guts up and exploding from both ends from the side effects of the drug. The ear ache gets better and thanks doc. That antibiotic was a terrible experience, but it cured the ear infection.

Antibiotic had nothing to do with it.

Over here in the US, mom brings in the kid with an earache and Amoxicillin for 10 days is the knee jerk reaction. Europe in many places is more evolved in ear ache treatment. They know the hit and miss drug approach and that the body will typically cure within 2 weeks with no drugs. They treat with Tylenol for pain for the first 14 days before thinking about antibiotics if there is no critical reason to start nuking the condition with bug killers.

John
craigb
Re: Anybody have trouble hearing? 2017/06/02 03:30:12 (permalink)

DrLumen
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 621
Re: Anybody have trouble hearing? 2017/06/02 15:20:05 (permalink)
Some tinnitis. Swimmers ear in my youth affected hearing in one ear (~%25 loss). Then there were the concerts and listening with headphones way too loud when I was ten foot tall and bulletproof.

I was thinking the other day, when I was younger I would play the music in the car very loud because I wanted. Now I play the music in the car really loudly because I want to hear it. :)

-When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Sonar Platinum / Intel i7-4790K / AsRock Z97 / 32GB RAM / Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB / Behringer FCA610 / M-Audio Sport 2x4 / Win7 x64 Pro / WDC Black HDD's / EVO 850 SSD's / Alesis Q88 / Boss DS-330 / Korg nanoKontrol / Novation Launch Control / 14.5" Lava Lamp
57Gregy
  • Total Posts : 14404
Re: Anybody have trouble hearing? 2017/06/02 15:29:07 (permalink)
JohnKenn
Glad Sharke's ear infection is cured and mega doses of garlic may have helped. Not so happy about Bayou's hearing aids.

Rambling note about ear infections and antibiotics...
Works wonders if it is the right fit, but...

You go into the doc with a bad ear infection. Very easy to tell in most cases that you got an infection, but not possible to know what is causing it without some real invasive procedures and time to identify.
There are maybe 3 more common causes of the bacterial infections that should respond to some general penicillin type agents, that is if they rolled the dice right.
Likely also that the bug is something else that the abx won't touch, or the right bug that is resistant. Then there are the viral sources that the antibiotic has no power over.
Means that in many cases, you get all the poisoning and side effects of the medicine with no curative benefit. The prescription you left the office with is a shot in the dark. Educated guess, but still a guess.

The smoke and mirrors part of this is that the body will in most cases cure the infection on its own within 2 weeks. You've been puking your guts up and exploding from both ends from the side effects of the drug. The ear ache gets better and thanks doc. That antibiotic was a terrible experience, but it cured the ear infection.

Antibiotic had nothing to do with it.

Over here in the US, mom brings in the kid with an earache and Amoxicillin for 10 days is the knee jerk reaction. Europe in many places is more evolved in ear ache treatment. They know the hit and miss drug approach and that the body will typically cure within 2 weeks with no drugs. They treat with Tylenol for pain for the first 14 days before thinking about antibiotics if there is no critical reason to start nuking the condition with bug killers.

John

You must have read my book.
This sounds like what happened with me. It was the fifties and sixties and antibiotics were the miracle drugs that were going to cure the world. I had a lot of ear (and nose and throat) infections when I was little and thus took a lot of drugs. We discovered I am allergic to penicillin, too. Almost killed me, according to Mom.

Greg 
I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
Bhav
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 887
Re: Anybody have trouble hearing? 2017/06/05 21:45:12 (permalink)
90%+ loss in my left ear, 50%+ in the right with tinnitus and vertigo.

I7 6850k, Asus RV10E, 32 Gb ram, SLI GTX 980 Ti, Creative Soundblaster Z, Yamaha DGX 630, Creative Aurvana Platinum headphones.
Rimshot
Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4625
Re: Anybody have trouble hearing? 2017/06/06 00:16:12 (permalink)
Had my hearing checked a couple of month's ago. I think I posted something here about it. 
Really good results up to about 10K. Then I start falling off. They wanted 8K for the best hearing aids they had. 
I moved on.

Rimshot 

Sonar Platinum 64 (Lifer), Studio One V3.5, Notion 6, Steinberg UR44, Zoom R24, Purrrfect Audio Pro Studio DAW (Case: Silent Mid Tower, Power Supply: 600w quiet, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz (8 threads), RAM: 16GB DDR3/1600 
, OS drive: 1TB HD, Audio drive: 1TB HD), Windows 10 x64 Anniversary, Equator D5 monitors, Faderport, FP8, Akai MPK261
Moshkito
Max Output Level: -37.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3765
Re: Anybody have trouble hearing? 2017/06/06 15:00:35 (permalink)
Hi,

My issue, is that sometimes I can not understand what someone said, and hearing it right/properly helps create this problem. When it is very low, or a comment that is under the thumb, toe and mouth, then I wonder what was said, and what it meant ... and one of these days I'll even know what the comments by Bapu and Craig in two letters, really mean! I guess the bass or guitar can not have too many notes! We'll have to ask Jaco about that someday!

Music is not about notes and chords! My poem is not about the computer or monitor or letters! It's about how I was able to translate it from my insides! 
craigb
Re: Anybody have trouble hearing? 2017/06/06 15:42:40 (permalink)
Ya

jamesg1213
  • Total Posts : 21760
Re: Anybody have trouble hearing? 2017/06/06 16:07:46 (permalink)
Moshkito
Hi,

My issue, is that sometimes I can not understand what someone said, and hearing it right/properly helps create this problem. When it is very low, or a comment that is under the thumb, toe and mouth, then I wonder what was said, and what it meant ... 

Eh?

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
Bhav
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 887
Re: Anybody have trouble hearing? 2017/06/06 18:16:48 (permalink)

I7 6850k, Asus RV10E, 32 Gb ram, SLI GTX 980 Ti, Creative Soundblaster Z, Yamaha DGX 630, Creative Aurvana Platinum headphones.
JohnKenn
Re: Anybody have trouble hearing? 2017/06/06 23:34:19 (permalink)
Bhav,

Seriously bummed here about your condition.

Excessive biological pressure in the Allah created compartments does damage when things can't flow into the adjacent area or can't be equalized across the system.

Two advices please to consider.

Lower salt in the diet to reduce compartmentalized swelling and damage.

As unpopular as it has been here in the past, the yoga asanas are a life raft you need, and need now.

Flexibility and redistribution of fluid buildups will happen with your effort of a few minutes a couple times a day. If damage is not permanent, resolution and healing will happen over about a month. Got fixes for the vertigo as well if not flamed into the pit for what is not cool.

John
Beepster
  • Total Posts : 18001
Re: Anybody have trouble hearing? 2017/06/07 01:29:41 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby craigb 2017/06/07 05:15:05
craigb
Re: Anybody have trouble hearing? 2017/06/07 05:16:52 (permalink)

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1