Anybody here have any opinions on the Tech21 Sansamp Classic?

Author
carlo3874
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 80
2005/05/04 20:27:48 (permalink)

Anybody here have any opinions on the Tech21 Sansamp Classic?

Hello everyone,

I'm considering purchasing the Tech 21 Sansamp Classic. Is it any good? How does it compare to the Line 6 Pod? Does it work for bass?

4 Replies Related Threads

joe b
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 500
    RE: Anybody here have any opinions on the Tech21 Sansamp Classic? 2005/05/05 16:34:55 (permalink)
    I haven't ever used this product. I used to have a Sans Amp Tech 21 amp, and I now own an old Sans Amp bass DI box.

The DI box does exactly what it is supposed to do and looks to be indestructible.

The Tech 21 amp was also very well and solidly built. It was a solid state combo that claimed to emulate a wide range of tube sounds and also had unusually flexible signal routing - obviously built for the recording studio. In my opinion it sounded pretty good, but when all is said and done, nothing but tubes sound like tubes, so I sold it and plunked down three times as much money for a Victoria tweed deluxe combo (which I hope will accompany me to the old folks' home).

So, what I anticipate is, the Sans Amp you are looking at will be well built and will be very useful, but it will not be the holy grail of tone.

Like you, I am curious to hear from people who have actually used one!
    jamester
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1481
    RE: Anybody here have any opinions on the Tech21 Sansamp Classic? 2005/05/05 22:15:42 (permalink)
    I used to use SansAmps, both the stompbox (not the Classic, the one that superceded it) and the Trademark amp. I think SansAmp is a great company that builds quality products that sound great. It takes some time to "learn" how to use their EQ, but once you do you can really get a ton of fat tones that are very realistically "tubey".

I think the Pod is an entirely different animal, even though they both go for tube emulation. The SansAmp pedals are designed to provide a believable, raw tone that can then be built upon. Pods sort of go for an all-in-one solution, including effects, different cabinet emulations, etc...

I'll say this: I'm a tube snob, but that Trademark amp is one of the best I've ever heard, and I'd still have it today if it had more power. Funny how my 20-watt Budda tube combo is louder than the 60-watt Trademark.

just my .02

Purrrfect Audio DAW built by Jim Roseberry
    Edirol UA-1000, Korg PadKontrol, Dynaudio BM 5A's
    Reaper, Live, Sound Forge, Pyro
    carlo3874
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 80
    RE: Anybody here have any opinions on the Tech21 Sansamp Classic? 2005/05/06 09:25:12 (permalink)
    I've never tried it, but using a tube amp is probably better. Unfortunately, I have to consider the noise issue. I also don't have adequate space. As much as I obsess about this stuff, I have other responsibilities like house, wife & child. I can't afford to dole out several hundreds of dollars on my hobby. I don't want to buy an item and have no use for half its features

I'm using an EMU 1820. It's a good unit. I'm not to crazy about how my guitar & bass (Warwick Corvette Standard & Mex Strat body, Warmoth maple neck, Fender Lac Sensor pickups) sound thru the mic pre but it works with my audio techina 2020 when recording acoustic guitar (Taylor). I’ve tried demos of amplitube & guitar rig and found those plug-ins to be noisy and unrealistic. The EMU effects aren't anything to write home about.

I'm hesitant about the Pod XT because I wasn't too thrilled about the Pod 2. I liked it, but it lacked something. I don't necessarily need effects because Sonar has some pretty good effects. I've been playing bass for about 15 years. I have little fingers of concrete when it comes to playing guitar. I'm intrigue about the Tone lab, but I have to try it out before considering spending $300 bucks. I've ordered the guitar & bass ampworks 3 weeks ago from Musician's Friend. The bass was OK but the guitar unit was terrible. The output was low, the presets sucked, and I had a hard time tweaking the thing. The Vox sound was decent, but not enough for me to keep it. I'm going to send both units back for a refund. I've used a Sansamp Bass driver and thought it was a good pedal. The sound samples posted on the Tech 21 website sound pretty good to me. I'm considering ordering the Sansamp GT2 or Classic. I just need a good guitar sound along the lines of Wilco & Pavement, something that I can plug into and bang out some chords without spending hours tweaking it.

Any comments, criticism, opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks joe b & jamester for taking the time to respond to my post.

carlo3874
    Joe Bravo
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1870
    RE: Anybody here have any opinions on the Tech21 Sansamp Classic? 2005/05/06 17:06:58 (permalink)
    I used the original version close to 10 or 12 years ago. It was pretty good. A little noisy but not bad. You could get a fairly thick midrange tone without the mud that comes with tube emulation soit was nice for prettier front pickup sounds.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1