Anybody using this?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
ucacjbs
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 866
RE: Anybody using this? 2008/04/10 08:35:58 (permalink)
Good news. Debugging that kind of stuff is a royal pain, but worth it once you've figured it all out.
kb420
Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1839
RE: Anybody using this? 2008/04/10 09:03:20 (permalink)
Yeah, it is a royal pain!!!

Especially when each controller is trying to completely take over your computer.

"Now, excuse me while I jump into my Jaguar; I need to board my private jet for the usual weekend trip to my mansion on the Big Island. I think Trixie, Crystal, and Heather are already there...must not keep them waiting in the hot tub!"

-Craig Anderton-
jonespnice1
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 642
RE: Anybody using this? 2008/04/26 17:55:40 (permalink)
Lately I don't even boot up Battery3. I can access the sounds because Battery's sound library is all .wav. I just drag the samples into Live's drum rack and use Live's effects. All the drums sounds I need (Battery's 12 gig drum library) without Native Instruments occasional vst instabilities. Not a bad deal at all.

Is it something special about Live's drum rack or can you use anything that will load wave files?
kb420
RE: Anybody using this? 2008/04/26 19:19:51 (permalink)
I like the drum rack because every pad is set up in it's own audio track by default. That way I can tweak and add effects to any pad I want without any other set up time. I can do the same with Battery, but there is a certain amount of set up time.

Watch the movie:

http://www.ableton.com/_common/downloads/movies/drum_racks.mov

Watch from 30 sec on in the video to see what I'm talking about.

"Now, excuse me while I jump into my Jaguar; I need to board my private jet for the usual weekend trip to my mansion on the Big Island. I think Trixie, Crystal, and Heather are already there...must not keep them waiting in the hot tub!"

-Craig Anderton-
jonespnice1
RE: Anybody using this? 2008/04/26 23:19:48 (permalink)
KB420, I just purchased the mpd32 today and I connected it to my computer but when I go under the "midi devices" menu I don't see akai mpd32 instead I see "usb audio device", does yours appear like and if it doesn't how can I get mine to recognize it correctly?

jonespnice1
RE: Anybody using this? 2008/04/27 10:01:11 (permalink)
This mpd32 is pissing me off, these are the reasons:

1) I can't use it to control hardware synths (using the midi out port) unless I use a daw, ie. I can't just hook it up to my triton and contol that.
2) I can't get the tap tempo to work.
3) When I set one of the sliders to transmit control message #07 (master volume) it doesn't work.
4) The mpd32 doesn't show up in the midi devices as "mpd32" but rather shows up as "usb audio device".

Man, for $300+ things should go a lot smoother.
kb420
RE: Anybody using this? 2008/04/27 11:34:36 (permalink)
1.) I think you need a power adapter to do that. I went to Radio Shack and bought one. It does kinda suck that they didn't include one with the unit.

2.) In Live the tap tempo works better when the MPD is the slave. I don't know what you are using it with, but I would just read through the pdf file and try it a few different ways.

3.) Master volume on what?

4.) It does show up as "usb audio device" in Live, but in parenthesis it says (MPD 32).

-Craig Anderton-
jonespnice1
RE: Anybody using this? 2008/04/27 13:10:07 (permalink)
1) That sucks, they should have set it up to work without using a power adapter.

2) I'm using sonar 7 and reason 3, I read through the pdf but it wasn't clear. But it did say that it is disabled when you select external mode in the mpd32.

3) I usually set a midi controller to control master volume so that I can adjust the levels of my instruments on the fly without having to reach for the mouse. This is a standard midi control message (#07) and I don't understand why this doesn't work.

4) I think they should have provided us with drivers so that it would show up simply as "mpd32", BTW in sonar it only shows "usb audio device".

I like the feel of the pads, the note repeat is working good but overall I am disappointed with this especially being a former mpc owner/ user. The mpc was user friendly and gave you no headaches. Man, I should have never sold my mpc.
kb420
RE: Anybody using this? 2008/04/27 14:10:55 (permalink)
2.) You are right about tap tempo. I thought you were talking about note repeat.

3.) All of the faders in Live are mapped out on the first (default) preset in the MPD, so that's not a problem for me.

3.) I have a feeling that you will see new drivers and firmware. It's still a new product. The problem I'm having is that I can't start Live with the MPD being the master and Live the slave. It doesn't transmit a midi clock until you hit play.

The MPC was designed specifically for one thing. The MPD is as well, but the problem is that pc's aren't. I'm happy with my MPD. I like it a lot more than my Trigger Finger. I still have my MPC 3000. I'll never sell that. The only reason that I don't use it is because I am on my fourth Zip drive, and I refuse to pay another $200 for a storage medium that's only good for 100 mb that's sure to break down in a matter of time.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I think Akai will work out the kinks.

Like I said, it's still a brand spankin' new product.

-Craig Anderton-
dimus
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Anybody using this? 2008/05/06 07:47:32 (permalink)
I'm new here, but hope you can help.

I have the MPD32 (received last week) and a Novation Remote Zero SL running automap 2.0.

The Novation works fine in any prog. However I can only use the MPD32 in Reason 4 and only if the Novation is off, and so long as I haven't opened any other prog like Sonar or Cubase.

If I try to use the MPD32 in Sonar or Cubase it won't work at all. If I then close Sonar/Cubase and try it in Reason, it won't work then either. Only if I reboot and then open Reason again will it work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've tried contacting Akai but they haven't been much help, however as kb420 mentions I think it is an automap issue but I'm not sure how to solve it.

(BTW kb420, I also e-mailed you about this)

kb420
RE: Anybody using this? 2008/05/06 07:55:38 (permalink)
There is a conflict between the two controllers. This is how I solved the problem. Make sure you have the latest Automap drivers installed. Once you do, launch the automap server. Once it's launched, you will see an Automap icon in your system tray. Right click on it and set the "Midi input Port" and the "Midi output Port" to "off. You may have to unplug the MPD 32's usb connection and reconnect it again so your computer will see it again. That solved the problem for me.

Automap is actually the problem. It's set up to actually steal midi ports from other devices so that you can use it in different programs at the same time.

I hope that helps you out.

-Craig Anderton-
dimus
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Anybody using this? 2008/05/06 09:02:49 (permalink)
You Sir are a God amongst men!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just nipped home on my lunch break and tried what you said and it all worked straight away.

Now the MPD32 works in both Sonar & Cubase and with the Remote SL.

Now on with the tunage!

Actually the "Midi output Port" was already set to Off on my system, which explains why I could see the MPD32 output port appearing in programs but the unit was not sending any midi. Anyway, set the "Midi input Port" to Off too and alles ist schoen.
kb420
RE: Anybody using this? 2008/05/06 12:53:46 (permalink)
I'm just glad I could help you out.

-Craig Anderton-
cryophonik
Max Output Level: -28 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4724
RE: Anybody using this? 2008/05/07 01:09:33 (permalink)
For anybody else interested in buying an MPD32, here's a deal that's way too good to pass up:

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/msg/670934441.html

Must be marked up $500 because it's the "PERFESSIONAL" version!

cryophonik   |   soundcloud  |   Facebook

Q6600 | GA-EP45-UD3P | Windows 7 64 | 8GB
Access Virus Keyboard TI2 | Kurzweil PC3X | NI Maschine

bgmetivier
  • Total Posts : 16
RE: Anybody using this? 2010/11/17 00:41:57 (permalink)
I can relate. I have only Sonar 8.5.3 and the MPD32. I can see the MPD32 to select, and I can set things on the control surface with the pads. But I cannot make the faders, rotaries or the transport system work at all. It seems that the only midi data Cakewalk is getting from the unit are the pads, though I can see the activity on the screen of the MPD32.

I also must be having a user-related moment!

bob@psalms.ws
www.psalms.ws
"A place for rest and reflection"
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1