Anyone interested in trying Windows 7

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Author
John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
RE: Anyone interested in trying Windows 7 2009/05/11 23:45:26 (permalink)
The graphics memory fix is only in the WDDM 1.1 drivers which are Windows 7 only.

There is an interesting article here that demonstrates the changes. See figure 8 half way down the page...

http://blogs.msdn.com/e7/archive/2009/04/25/engineering-windows-7-for-graphics-performance.aspx

The Application programming interfaces (API's) are not affected by this change and the new Direct X 11 API will run on Both OS versions.
However the underlying drivers have been slightly optimised for Win 7.
I don't believe there are any plans to port the WDDM 1.1 driver changes back to Vista. (I could be wrong on this one)
Outstanding post yet the main point of the ability of Windows to use the graphics card for general processing of the desktop and apps that are not using the graphics card to run as a game does is a Vista innovation. If they have further optimized the code great but the huge gain was with Vista versus XP. It would be interesting to compare Sonar's performance on all three platforms as far a graphics updates to the screen. are concerned with the old XP way and the Vista plus the Win 7 way.

Best
John
jamescater
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 175
RE: Anyone interested in trying Windows 7 2009/05/12 00:06:17 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: John

The graphics memory fix is only in the WDDM 1.1 drivers which are Windows 7 only.

There is an interesting article here that demonstrates the changes. See figure 8 half way down the page...

http://blogs.msdn.com/e7/archive/2009/04/25/engineering-windows-7-for-graphics-performance.aspx

The Application programming interfaces (API's) are not affected by this change and the new Direct X 11 API will run on Both OS versions.
However the underlying drivers have been slightly optimised for Win 7.
I don't believe there are any plans to port the WDDM 1.1 driver changes back to Vista. (I could be wrong on this one)
Outstanding post yet the main point of the ability of Windows to use the graphics card for general processing of the desktop and apps that are not using the graphics card to run as a game does is a Vista innovation. If they have further optimized the code great but the huge gain was with Vista versus XP. It would be interesting to compare Sonar's performance on all three platforms as far a graphics updates to the screen. are concerned with the old XP way and the Vista plus the Win 7 way.

I belive the duplicate graphics memory problem was actually introduced in Vista and was never an issue in XP.
Everyone is so pleased they have removed the issue in Win 7 and is one of the main reasons Win 7 can now run on netbooks with 2Gb RAM.

Another great change in Windows 7 is they seem to have finally decoupled the Windows display manager away from the rest of the operating system.

For the first time EVER I can insert a CD into my machine and the Windows display manager does not lock up whilst the Kernel reads the newly inserted disk (3-10 seconds in some cases) !!!!
This has always been an issue for Windows NT/2000/XP/vista.

WDI
Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2069
RE: Anyone interested in trying Windows 7 2009/05/12 00:10:41 (permalink)

Josh make sure you have the latest graphics drivers for your graphics card.

Why should he, doesn't Windows 7 run all your legacy devices and apps just beautifully? I thought that what was so great about Windows 7. LOL.
post edited by WDI - 2009/05/12 00:20:24

Sonar 7 PE
Windows XP Pofessional (SP3)
MSI K8N Neo4-F
AMD Athlon 64 3500+
2 GB PC 3200 Ram
RME Fireface 800
Edirol FA-66
CM Labs MotorMix

Old stuff: ARJO
Freddie H
Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3617
RE: Anyone interested in trying Windows 7 2009/05/12 02:04:38 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: WDI

Well it looks like Microsoft has some kind of subliminal messaging code in Windows 7 64bit to create a microsoft Windows 7 Borg nation and Freddie H has already been assimilated. If he gets a hold of you 32bit XP system it will be assimilated also.

That's right! Hehe

Regards
Freddie

-Highly developed spirits often encounter resistance from mediocre minds. -It really matters!
Freddie H
RE: Anyone interested in trying Windows 7 2009/05/12 02:15:15 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: jamescater

32 bit Sonar is a must for us as well. We just could not work without our third party 32 bit synths.
(And we're just not interested in going down the bit bridge route)

We tested the beta with 32 bit Sonar and 32bit Windows 7 which worked well.

The SONAR 8.3.1 64bit on VISTA 64bit work very well! No crashes and very stable version.

I have never or have any problem with bitbridge either, just few 32bit applications that doesn't work. Melodyne plugin, Melodyne Studio, Melodynebridge, Nomad Factory - Blue Tube series. Unfortunately there are no 64bit Rewire version available thanks to the Propellerhead jack-ass.

Sonar 8 also work best in its NATVIE 64bit version of SONAR, because that is the original code and the full 64bit Audio engine! The 32bit version is just mimic of the “original version”.

You can even hear a distinct difference in AUDIO ENGINE too between 64bit and 32bit. The 64bit version has much better detail and clearer AUDIO and has better performance too. That is common on all Native 64bit applications has in modern 64bit computer. CPU's are design to work in 64bit and in NATIVE 64bit OS. There for program work best in Native 64bit, that is just the way it is!

I hope Cakewalk drop the 32bit version very soon and put there effort making an even better bitbridge inside SONAR 8 / 9 instead. The 64bit version is the future “Version” that everyone will use in the future anyway. 32Bit applications will die out like the 16bit application ones did and thank god for that.

Regards
Freddie
post edited by Freddie H - 2009/05/12 02:52:54

-Highly developed spirits often encounter resistance from mediocre minds. -It really matters!
Freddie H
RE: Anyone interested in trying Windows 7 2009/05/12 02:32:40 (permalink)

(You will meed to have 64 bit sound drivers, but the rest is quite seamless.)
So this is not true?
It doesn't matter it should work in both environments. You can use 32bit drivers or 64bit drivers inside Windows 7 64bit. (haven't tried it myself)

John,

I can confirm the above statement is NOT true.

Device drivers link directly with the Kernel process space and have to be the same as the native OS in this case 64 bit.

You can however run 32 bit applications within Windows 7 x64 including Sonar 7 x86 and all your old 32 bit legacy synths
There is a slight performance hit running Sonar x86 like this but it is minimal (probably l<3%)

You are wrong my friend.

You can even easily then ever before wright your own driver too because of the flexibility API, (ASP, AP) You wont get blue screen even if the driver are wrong... Windows 7 fix the driver for you so it works like magic!

All this backward compatibility with drivers are call "legacy compatibility" - mode in Windows 7

For those who interested, can see this VIDEO (Mark Russinovish) in 45 min, one of the man that actually design and program coded WINDOWS 7 at Microsoft.
http://channel9.msdn.com/shows/Going+Deep/Mark-Russinovich-Inside-Windows-7/

http://blogs.technet.com/markrussinovich/

Regards
Freddie
post edited by Freddie H - 2009/05/12 02:45:05

Freddie H
RE: Anyone interested in trying Windows 7 2009/05/12 02:39:57 (permalink)

That is because of Areo and its in Vista.

I did a thread that has a lot of info on it. Here is the thread.

Most of the major things in Windows 7 are already in Vista as far as performance and OS protection as well as modernizations are concerned. Think about this, it took over 6 years to get Vista out and here we have Windows 7 in less then 4 years. The bulk of the work was already done in Vista in those 6 years. Windows 7 will inherit all that MS learned plus the machines are better equipped to handle it. That was not the case when Vista came out.

Graphic, Try this!

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=1714787
post edited by Freddie H - 2009/05/12 02:57:55

RWAbacus
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 68
A tale of woe. 2009/05/12 07:51:17 (permalink)
Got up early this morning to see if SONAR 8 behaved any differently than last night - didn't. BSOD that takes W7 down fast. Subsequently, on reboot, I get the ominous:

Windows has recovered from an unexpected
shutdown.

A problem caused Windows to stop working correctly.
Windows will notify you if a solution is available.
Don't hold your breath. <<Close>>

John, the very first thing I do in upgrading any machine is to make sure to have the latest video drivers - and I do (AMD/ATI 4890) - for W7 (64-bit). They have worked well for all of my other appllications - some of which are vigorous users of graphic elements. I had dual booted W7 with Vista Ultimate (both 64-bit) for many months with no problem on either side. I am aware of the dangers of using RC versions of W7.

I tried to UPGRADE VISTA, but that wasn't successful; and by that time VISTA had dissolved so that I could not go back. I know hindsight is 20/20. Doing a clean install fixed the initial total-black-screen mode - at least for all my other applications - except and save for SONAR 8.

I guess I'll remove all vestiges of SONAR 8 and try reinstalling again. While my sound works well in W7 (like Vista Ultimate), when SONAR 8 gives up the ghost with BSOD, the blood-curdling dieing scream is both loud, unsettling and heart-stopping. I make sure the volume is minimal now.

jamescater
RE: Anyone interested in trying Windows 7 2009/05/12 11:42:42 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Freddie H

(You will meed to have 64 bit sound drivers, but the rest is quite seamless.)
So this is not true?
It doesn't matter it should work in both environments. You can use 32bit drivers or 64bit drivers inside Windows 7 64bit. (haven't tried it myself)

John,

I can confirm the above statement is NOT true.

Device drivers link directly with the Kernel process space and have to be the same as the native OS in this case 64 bit.

You can however run 32 bit applications within Windows 7 x64 including Sonar 7 x86 and all your old 32 bit legacy synths
There is a slight performance hit running Sonar x86 like this but it is minimal (probably l<3%)

You are wrong my friend.

You can even easily then ever before wright your own driver too because of the flexibility API, (ASP, AP) You wont get blue screen even if the driver are wrong... Windows 7 fix the driver for you so it works like magic!

All this backward compatibility with drivers are call "legacy compatibility" - mode in Windows 7

For those who interested, can see this VIDEO (Mark Russinovish) in 45 min, one of the man that actually design and program coded WINDOWS 7 at Microsoft.
http://channel9.msdn.com/shows/Going+Deep/Mark-Russinovich-Inside-Windows-7/

http://blogs.technet.com/markrussinovich/

Regards
Freddie

Ok this is getting boring now.

Freddie, I realise you are enthusiastic about all this stuff but you really need to understand the difference between device drievrs and applications.

1) Device drivers are loaded by the Kernel directly into it's own process and address space. You cannot load 32bit code into a 64 bit running application. It's just is not possible.

2) If it was possible to run 32 bit drivers in a 64 bit operating system then there would be very little need write separate 64 bit device drivers in the first place.
32 bit applications can run on top of a 64 bit OS, but only because they run inside the Windows-On-Windows layer (WOW64) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WOW64
Try installing any 32 bit drivers on Win 7 x64 and you will fail, compatability mode has nothing to do with this.

3) The "compatability mode" you are refering to allows legacy installers from XP/Vista to install correctly on Winodws 7. NOTE : Install packages are mini applications.
Many installers (usually msi packages) check for windows version numbers and directory locations and if "compatability mode" is not engaged then the installers will report an error because they expect to install on Windows XP / Vista olny.
For instance the Intel chipset drivers available in Jan 2009 did not install on Win 7, but would work if you run them in Vista compatability mode.

4) If you still believe you can run 32 DEVICE DRIVERS natively on a 64 bit OS please do one of the following.
A) show us one single piece of documented evidence from a reputable source on the web that states clearly that you can run 32 bit device drivers inside Win 7 64 bit. (this does not include 45 min videos without word for word quotes)
B) show me a 32 bit driver running on your 64 bit OS (and I wish you good luck with this ! )

Could you please stop flooding this Sonar forum with your own "interpretations" of stuff you may have read on the web.

By all means point us to the article or post quotes, but it's just not professional to go feeding stuff to other people that you believe you undestand.

At some stage in this ridiculous argument you may realise that you may have made a mistake here and you may back down.

Hint : I am an IT consultant with 20 years experience and it's my job to understand these issues.
There is a chance I'm wrong about this, but it's very small

vanceen
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 814
RE: Anyone interested in trying Windows 7 2009/05/12 12:18:51 (permalink)

You can even hear a distinct difference in AUDIO ENGINE too between 64bit and 32bit. The 64bit version has much better detail and clearer AUDIO and has better performance too. ...
Regards
Freddie

How much is the sound improved, say, in percentage terms?

SONAR Platinum
Windows 10
ASUS X99E WE
Core i7 5960X  
32 GB Corsair DDR4 2133 C13
Fireface UFX USB driver 1.098
GeForce GTX 950
Lord Tim
  • Total Posts : 837
RE: Anyone interested in trying Windows 7 2009/05/12 12:33:14 (permalink)
I also have to wonder what a 64 bit program and OS has to do with the sound of the audio itself? Maybe a 64 bit audio engine might make a difference, though? You know, like you can run at any time now in 32 bit versions of SONAR on a 32 bit OS?

WWW: www.lord.net.au  FB: www.facebook.com/lordtimofficial
Bandlab: www.bandlab.com/lordtim

Cakewalk by Bandlab / DAW: i7 M620 @ 2.67 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Win10 64 Bit [eng], TASCAM US-16x08 @ 5.8ms (22.7ms RTL) ASIO, Behringer UMX61 Keyboard Controller.
John
Forum Host
RE: Anyone interested in trying Windows 7 2009/05/12 12:43:15 (permalink)
Sonar 8 also work best in its NATVIE 64bit version of SONAR, because that is the original code and the full 64bit Audio engine! The 32bit version is just mimic of the “original version”.
You know this as fact, right?
You can even hear a distinct difference in AUDIO ENGINE too between 64bit and 32bit. The 64bit version has much better detail and clearer AUDIO and has better performance too. That is common on all Native 64bit applications has in modern 64bit computer. CPU's are design to work in 64bit and in NATIVE 64bit OS. There for program work best in Native 64bit, that is just the way it is!
You have lost me with this. I don't see how what you allege is possible. Even if it were true it would be remarkable to say the least that one is able to discern any difference in a 32 bit app with a 64 bit floating point audio engine and a 64 bit app with the same audio engine. It may be possible to hear something with 64 bit drivers driving an audio interface versus 32 bit drivers but I highly doubt it. Considering that the audio in the interface is using at best 24 bit audio.

Its one thing to be happy about a new OS that one feels will help one do a better job with the apps one has its another thing to make assertions about it that have no basis in fact or no documentation that can be accessed to support such assertions.

This is just as bad in my view as those that routinely bash Vista only because they may have heard from a guy from another guy that he heard that so and so is true. Misinformation is bad no matter what the motive is in spouting it. You do us all a disservice in perusing this.

As for me going to a 64 bit OS will be awhile until I am able to replace my entire audio setup. If CW moves to drop 32 bit support I will be in a great disadvantage and may need to reconsider just what app I use.

Best
John
keith
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3882
RE: Anyone interested in trying Windows 7 2009/05/12 12:48:53 (permalink)

Freddie, I realise you are enthusiastic about all this stuff but you really need to understand the difference between device drievrs and applications.

But... but... but he said it was magical.

Way to be a real downer, man. You're a real party pooper!
keith
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3882
RE: Anyone interested in trying Windows 7 2009/05/12 12:52:28 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Lord Tim
I also have to wonder what a 64 bit program and OS has to do with the sound of the audio itself?

What part of magic don't you people understand?! I mean, really...
John
Forum Host
RE: Anyone interested in trying Windows 7 2009/05/12 13:07:39 (permalink)
What part of magic don't you people understand?! I mean, really...

LOL yes its magic! But, ah, what does that mean?

Best
John
jamescater
RE: Anyone interested in trying Windows 7 2009/05/12 13:11:46 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: vanceen

You can even hear a distinct difference in AUDIO ENGINE too between 64bit and 32bit. The 64bit version has much better detail and clearer AUDIO and has better performance too. ...
Regards
Freddie

Unfortunately this is another one of Freddie's "interpretations". Again showing his lack of true understanding of the 64 bit application and operating system issues.

The quality of Sonar's 64 bit mix engine is NOT connected with the Sonar 64bit executable (a strange statement, but true)

There is ZERO difference in Sound quality between Sonar x86 and Sonar x64 when they are both running with the 64bit mix engine engaged.
Both applications will produce identical output WAV's when the same project is loaded.

Another thing that may not seem obvious is that 32 bit applications have always been able to process 64 bit numbers and this is what is used internally with Sonar's 64 bit mix engine.
Sizes of numbers you use are different from the sizes of your memory address pointers.
The size of your memory address pointers are fixed at build time and you must choose between 32bit and 64 bit when you compile the code. (this is why we have two separate Sonar installs)

A 64 bit application allows you to use individual projects larger than 4Gb
A 64 bit Operating system allows you to load multiple concurrent projects that are larger than 4GB

It does not change the quality of the Sonar internal audio process engine.

jamescater
RE: Anyone interested in trying Windows 7 2009/05/12 13:17:18 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: keith

But... but... but he said it was magical.

Way to be a real downer, man. You're a real party pooper!

vanceen
  • Total Posts : 814
RE: Anyone interested in trying Windows 7 2009/05/12 13:30:51 (permalink)

Regards
Freddie

Unfortunately this is another one of Freddie's "interpretations". Again showing his lack of true understanding of the 64 bit application and operating system issues.

The quality of Sonar's 64 bit mix engine is NOT connected with the Sonar 64bit executable (a strange statement, but true)

There is ZERO difference in Sound quality between Sonar x86 and Sonar x64 when they are both running with the 64bit mix engine engaged.
Both applications will produce identical output WAV's when the same project is loaded.

Another thing that may not seem obvious is that 32 bit applications have always been able to process 64 bit numbers and this is what is used internally with Sonar's 64 bit mix engine.
Sizes of numbers you use are different from the sizes of your memory address pointers.
The size of your memory address pointers are fixed at build time and you must choose between 32bit and 64 bit when you compile the code. (this is why we have two separate Sonar installs)

A 64 bit Operating system allows you to load multiple concurrent projects that are larger than 4GB

I suspected that was the case.

Too bad. I was hoping for a 20 to 40% improvement.

SONAR Platinum
Windows 10
ASUS X99E WE
Core i7 5960X  
32 GB Corsair DDR4 2133 C13
Fireface UFX USB driver 1.098
GeForce GTX 950
Freddie H
RE: Anyone interested in trying Windows 7 2009/05/12 16:54:40 (permalink)

Regards
Freddie

Take a listen yourself if you don't believe me!

Freddie H
RE: Anyone interested in trying Windows 7 2009/05/12 16:56:16 (permalink)

You have lost me with this. I don't see how what you allege is possible. Even if it were true it would be remarkable to say the least that one is able to discern any difference in a 32 bit app with a 64 bit floating point audio engine and a 64 bit app with the same audio engine. It may be possible to hear something with 64 bit drivers driving an audio interface versus 32 bit drivers but I highly doubt it. Considering that the audio in the interface is using at best 24 bit audio.

Its one thing to be happy about a new OS that one feels will help one do a better job with the apps one has its another thing to make assertions about it that have no basis in fact or no documentation that can be accessed to support such assertions.

This is just as bad in my view as those that routinely bash Vista only because they may have heard from a guy from another guy that he heard that so and so is true. Misinformation is bad no matter what the motive is in spouting it. You do us all a disservice in perusing this.

As for me going to a 64 bit OS will be awhile until I am able to replace my entire audio setup. If CW moves to drop 32 bit support I will be in a great disadvantage and may need to reconsider just what app I use.

Take a listen yourself if you don't believe me!

Ctrl+Alt+Del and check the cores or even better Perfmon!
post edited by Freddie H - 2009/05/12 17:07:25

CJaysMusic
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 30423
RE: Anyone interested in trying Windows 7 2009/05/12 17:00:53 (permalink)
I want to download win7 64bit and keep spnar on 32bit so i dont lose all my precious plugins
I want to download win7 64bit and keep spnar on 32bit so i dont lose all my precious plugins
But i'm chicken
But i'm chicken
But i'm chicken
But i'm chicken
Maybe ill buy an esata drive and install it on that
Is that a great idea??
Is that a great idea??
Is that a great idea??
Is it!!!!!!!!!

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
Audio Blog
Freddie H
RE: Anyone interested in trying Windows 7 2009/05/12 17:01:11 (permalink)

Regards
Freddie

I suspected that was the case.

Too bad. I was hoping for a 20 to 40% improvement.

Take a listen yourself if you don't believe me! Perhaps you have bad AD DA converters if you can't hear the the different between SONAR 8, 64bit engine VS SONAR 8, 32bit engine ????????
post edited by Freddie H - 2009/05/12 17:13:08

Freddie H
RE: Anyone interested in trying Windows 7 2009/05/12 17:16:09 (permalink)
Hypothetic; you RUN twice as much plugins/ programs in a 64bit OS compared to an 32bit OS with same Intel Native 64bit CPU.

How come? First of; all modern CPU's are in 64bit. The CPU cycle needs to run twice as fast (32bit code) compared to 64bit System. Its like a car's motor. OS 32bit has only 3 gears but the 64bit OS have 6 gears. The engine runs in same maximum speed, but the SPEED itself is different on the gear 3 compared if you drive on MAX on the gear 6 gear.
post edited by Freddie H - 2009/05/12 17:26:52

John
Forum Host
RE: Anyone interested in trying Windows 7 2009/05/12 17:54:02 (permalink)
Take a listen yourself if you don't believe me! Perhaps you have bad AD DA converters if you can't hear the the different between SONAR 8, 64bit engine VS SONAR 8, 32bit engine ????????
You are changing the rules in mid stream. We never said anything about Sonar's 32 bit audio engine. Both versions of Sonar have the 32 bit and 64 bit audio engines. One can choose either in either version. AD DA converters have nothing to do with it either. You should do some home work before you post. BTW Answering with a pat "listen if you don't believe me" isn't going to cut it. Perhaps reading the posts in answer to your posts might be helpful to you. Check the facts. Find the error then counter with a good answer. But repeating nothing new or of any substance is not worth the time.

Best
John
sgerick
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 29
RE: Anyone interested in trying Windows 7 2009/05/13 21:30:42 (permalink)
Excellent discussion. One thing for sure. If you can install a second hard drive and do alternate boot to that you can avoid what Josh experienced.

It did sound like some people had no problems getting their VSTs to work, so maybe not. For those whose have experience either way, can you list the VSTs that worked specifically. This might help me trouble-shooting.

Thx.

Ok, now its back to my production drive and real recording.

Steve Gerick
VeeVeeVee Productions
Gateway AMD Phenomâ„¢ X-4 9550 64-bit Quad-Core w/6GB, WindowsXP-Pro, Sonar 8 Pro, MAudio Profire 2626, Roland GI-20 MIDI, Sure SM-57,SM-58, Rode NT2-A, Amplitude, Guitar Rig 3, Mellodyne, AVOX2, FD Alphatrack.
Roflcopter
Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6767
RE: Anyone interested in trying Windows 7 2009/05/14 04:28:04 (permalink)
What totally puzzles me is why people would d/l a hacked copy - maybe it promises to 'never stop running' or something - which is pretty daft, with an RC1 that will run for about a year for free.... you're hacked before you even get to install any defenses... join da botnet.

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Security/Pirated-Windows-7-Builds-a-Botnet-With-Trojan-456054/

I'm a perfectionist, and perfect is a skinned knee.
jnz
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 337
RE: Anyone interested in trying Windows 7 2009/05/14 13:38:28 (permalink)

The Windows 7 RC will stop working on June 1, 2010. To continue using your PC, please be prepared to reinstall a prior version of Windows or the final released version of Windows 7 before the expiration date. We recommend doing a custom (clean) installation.

Also, keep in mind that starting March 1, 2010, your PC will start shutting down every two hours, so the June 1, 2010 date is a bit deceiving.

John
Forum Host
RE: Anyone interested in trying Windows 7 2009/05/14 14:14:10 (permalink)
I am not sure why anyone would use Windows 7 RC for DAW use. It is only meant for testing only. If you have no way to isolate it and keep a working OS for real work the idea of the Win 7 RC as your OS seems risky and unprofessional. There is no support for it at this time.
Running it for evaluation is fine but doing any work with it is silly.

Best
John
Jyri T.
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 280
RE: Anyone interested in trying Windows 7 2009/05/14 14:15:14 (permalink)
I once tried the null test with a small project, 32-bit vs. 64-bit audio engine. The difference was 134 dB below the original levels --- which means they're virtually identical.

I reckon in other projects the diff may be bigger yet I doubt it's ever significant (especially if you end down to 16 bits).

J
jamescater
RE: Anyone interested in trying Windows 7 2009/05/14 16:23:54 (permalink)

I am not sure why anyone would use Windows 7 RC for DAW use. It is only meant for testing only. If you have no way to isolate it and keep a working OS for real work the idea of the Win 7 RC as your OS seems risky and unprofessional. There is no support for it at this time.
Running it for evaluation is fine but doing any work with it is silly.

I agree you shouldn't run your busness on this RC build.

However this RC build of Windows 7 may well be more stable than the RTM version of Vista was in Jan 2007 (before Vista SP1)

Also the latest graphics drivers from NVidia / ATI are much more stable.

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1