Anyone interested in trying Windows 7

Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Author
sgerick
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 29
2009/05/06 23:54:55 (permalink)

Anyone interested in trying Windows 7

I've been using Windows 7 since early beta. The last beat release was very stable. The release candidate seems even more polished. Probably what Microsoft should have delivered with Windows originally, but hey they're Microsoft :-)

I am planning on upgrade my Sonar 8 Producer system to Windows 7 64-bit. I run Vista 64-bit now. I was planning on using this thread to give those interested in hearing my experience updated. Stay tuned.

If you just want to rant about Microsoft, or Windows - please do that somewhere else.

Steve Gerick
VeeVeeVee Productions
Gateway AMD Phenomâ„¢ X-4 9550 64-bit Quad-Core w/6GB, WindowsXP-Pro, Sonar 8 Pro, MAudio Profire 2626, Roland GI-20 MIDI, Sure SM-57,SM-58, Rode NT2-A, Amplitude, Guitar Rig 3, Mellodyne, AVOX2, FD Alphatrack.

110 Replies Related Threads

enTRAP AG
    • Total Posts : 34
    RE: Anyone interested in trying Windows 7 2009/05/07 00:35:03 (permalink)
    I'm running Sonar in Windows 7 64bit RC and I have ZERO problems. I was running 7000 for a bit and just upgraded the other day. Go for it. Rock on.
    MaestroGeek
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 302
    RE: Anyone interested in trying Windows 7 2009/05/07 02:19:09 (permalink)
    Very very interested & intrigued. I was just going to post a thread asking about Windows 7 RC experience as DAW OS.
    Keep us posted.

SONAR X1c Producer; SCOPE 5; Windows 7 x64
    PowerPulsar+PulsarPlus+PulsarSRB+A16 Ultra; DIGIMAX FS; MTP AV USB
    Core2 Q9300+DP35DP+8GB PC6400 DDR2 DIMM+GeForce 8600 GT
    MCU PRO; BCR2000; Lemur/Dexter
    rstollen
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1561
    RE: Anyone interested in trying Windows 7 2009/05/07 02:50:58 (permalink)
    Thanks Steve - I'll be following your posts.

8.5.1 PE, i7 920, GA-EX58-UD4P, 6gb Corsair DDR3, 2 x Barracuda 500gb, HIS Radeon GS-4670 Fanless 1gb DDR3, XP Pro SP3, dual 24" monitors, Axiom 61, Korg Triton Pro, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, VG-99, Yamaha MSP5, Fostex PM0.5
    JSkeen
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 612
    RE: Anyone interested in trying Windows 7 2009/05/07 03:18:23 (permalink)
    I have been using windows 7 x86 for awhile now...after changing the firewire driver I couldn't be happier...a couple of visual tweaks to make the UI "snappier" and I am very happy. If they continue to improve upon this one we will have a real monster IMO.
    DJ Darkside
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 565
    RE: Anyone interested in trying Windows 7 2009/05/07 03:39:47 (permalink)
    Been using Windows 7 since early beta myself and love it... I just installed the latest version Windows 7 RC and I also agree very stable. I installed it on my laptop and now my laptop performs better than it ever has. I also tried the Windows XP Mode / Virtual PC and works flawlessly... Not sure if anyone tried it but you can actually drag the icon for the apps that need to run in Windows XP onto the Windows 7 desktop and launch it from there...

I have yet to install Windows 7 and run my music system from it... I tried to install my mLAN drivers last night and had no luck with it. Anyone else install mLAN successfully on Windows 7???

Mark Liebrand
    DJ Darkside 2001-20xx 
    www.djdarkside.com
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Running: Windows 10 64 bit, Sonar Platinum, Ableton Live, Novation Impulse, Native Instruments Maschine, a few mics, 1963 Fender Strat, a Fender Jazz Bass and some secret weapons... EQ and Compression.
    Freddie H
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3617
    RE: Anyone interested in trying Windows 7 2009/05/07 04:06:27 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: sgerick

I've been using Windows 7 since early beta. The last beat release was very stable. The release candidate seems even more polished. Probably what Microsoft should have delivered with Windows originally, but hey they're Microsoft :-)

I am planning on upgrade my Sonar 8 Producer system to Windows 7 64-bit. I run Vista 64-bit now. I was planning on using this thread to give those interested in hearing my experience updated. Stay tuned.

If you just want to rant about Microsoft, or Windows - please do that somewhere else.

Hi!

I haven't tried WINDOWS 7 Release candidate or VISTA SP2 Beta, but had my eyes on feedback on different FORUMS about this, so to rap it up, everyone seem reporting:

1. GREAT experience on both OS.

2.Lower Audio latency

3.Less “clicks & pops” working on Audio with SONAR 8

4.Less interference with Video-driver and Audio-driver on both VISTA Sp2 and Windows 7 platform (Windows Areo)

5.Better “Audio / CPU” and overall CPU performance!

6.Better overall memory performance (it was some Memory leak in first Windows 7 BETA)

So All good!!!

Best Regards
    Freddie
    tarsier
    Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3029
    RE: Anyone interested in trying Windows 7 2009/05/07 09:21:46 (permalink)
    ...a couple of visual tweaks to make the UI "snappier"

Don't keep it a secret, which tweaks did you do?

I've downloaded the RC, and my weekend project will be installing it. I'm actually kinda enthused about it, which I never thought I would be about a MS product.
    WDI
    Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2069
    RE: Anyone interested in trying Windows 7 2009/05/07 09:59:19 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Freddie H

2.Lower Audio latency

4.Less interference with Video-driver and Audio-driver on both VISTA Sp2 and Windows 7 platform (Windows Areo)

6.Better overall memory performance (it was some Memory leak in first Windows 7 BETA)

Is this in comparison with XP?

I've checked out Microsoft's website to see what to expect from Windows 7 and I haven't seen one feature of interest. I'm not saying it isn't better then XP because I have no idea. I'm just commenting on the features they've chosen to market it with so far.

Improved taskbar

Jump Lists

Desktop enhancements

Windows Search

Internet Explorer 8

Better device management

HomeGroup

View Available Network (VAN)

I already have Internet Explorer 8. Seems like Internet Explorer 7.

Perhaps there's more under the hood which would be most important to me. I'd be interested if anyone that's tried it can explain some of its better features other then what Microsoft shows on thier website.
    post edited by WDI - 2009/05/07 10:04:51

Sonar 7 PE
    Windows XP Pofessional (SP3)
    MSI K8N Neo4-F
    AMD Athlon 64 3500+
    2 GB PC 3200 Ram
    RME Fireface 800
    Edirol FA-66
    CM Labs MotorMix

Old stuff: ARJO
    Freddie H
    RE: Anyone interested in trying Windows 7 2009/05/07 11:59:21 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: WDI

2.Lower Audio latency

I've checked out Microsoft's website to see what to expect from Windows 7 and I haven't seen one feature of interest. I'm not saying it isn't better then XP because I have no idea. I'm just commenting on the features they've chosen to market it with so far.

Improved taskbar

Jump Lists

Desktop enhancements

Windows Search

Internet Explorer 8

Better device management

HomeGroup

View Available Network (VAN)

I already have Internet Explorer 8. Seems like Internet Explorer 7.

Perhaps there's more under the hood which would be most important to me. I'd be interested if anyone that's tried it can explain some of its better features other then what Microsoft shows on thier website.

Hey WDI!

You forget one great feature in Windows 7! All your drivers and native XP programs + all your VISTA drivers and programs (even Windows 95 programs) will run and work perfectly in WINDOWS 7! Think about that, that is the most awesome about it all!

No matter what old piece of s-hit / drivers and programs, it will still RUN / work inside Windows 7 no matter what! Talk about flexible universal platform!
    Regards
    Freddie
    sgerick
    RE: Anyone interested in trying Windows 7 2009/05/07 13:12:18 (permalink)
    Thanks for the feedback from everyone so far. I will be installing tonight. By the way I failed to mention that I had 8.1 running fine of Windows 7 beta on my laptop a few months ago. I do see that many other posts I see in the past day are from people switching to Win7.

I thought the feedback about the firewire driver. I having been experiencing some annoyances with my Profire 2626 on my current Vista 64-bit setup. The symptoms are three fold.

1. After replay a track several times I randomly getting a sort-of scratchiness from the audio. I close Sonar and reopen and that goes away.
    2. Sometimes when stopping a track I will hear a distant pop. Like a champagne cork opening.
    3. I will get Sonar crashes where it say something like "the Teleport Server has quit working". Then I have to halt Sonar. I've learned from experience to reboot the computer at this point. When I do the shutdown process goes on and on. If I turn off the Profire during this event my system continues with the restart normally.

I wonder what that is about. I have reinstalled the Maudio driver, but with no success.

Finally, I saw that some people had already gone to W7 64-bit. My question would be:

Did you do an upgrade to your existing Windows, or a clean install and reinstall Sonar, et al over the clean install?

Steve Gerick
    VeeVeeVee Productions
    Gateway AMD Phenomâ„¢ X-4 9550 64-bit Quad-Core w/6GB, WindowsXP-Pro, Sonar 8 Pro, MAudio Profire 2626, Roland GI-20 MIDI, Sure SM-57,SM-58, Rode NT2-A, Amplitude, Guitar Rig 3, Mellodyne, AVOX2, FD Alphatrack.
    Dale Aston
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1204
    RE: Anyone interested in trying Windows 7 2009/05/07 13:34:13 (permalink)
    Great interest here. Rock on.
    superbirch
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 160
    RE: Anyone interested in trying Windows 7 2009/05/07 15:37:19 (permalink)

Finally, I saw that some people had already gone to W7 64-bit. My question would be:

Did you do an upgrade to your existing Windows, or a clean install and reinstall Sonar, et al over the clean install?

Hi

Clean install of W7 x64 on a new partition to give a dual boot - best of both, a production system (Vista32) and a test system (W7 x64).

Best of luck!

SB
    g_randybrown
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3522
    RE: Anyone interested in trying Windows 7 2009/05/07 15:44:35 (permalink)

I did an upgrade from Vista 64 to Win 7 RC....it transferred everything fine.
    Randy

G. Randy Brown 
    Windows 10, 64 bit, Platinum
    Intel Core i7-3770S
    Asus P8Z77-V LK mobo   
    4X8GB Corsair XMS3 memory 
    500 GB Crucial BX100 SSD (OS)
    two WD Black 1 TB HDD
    SAPPHIRE DUAL-X 100314-4L Radeon HD 6970 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5 
    Presonus AudioBox 22VSL
    youtube.com/crystalclearnm
    soundtweaker
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1036
    RE: Anyone interested in trying Windows 7 2009/05/07 15:56:29 (permalink)

3. I will get Sonar crashes where it say something like "the Teleport Server has quit working". Then I have to halt Sonar. I've learned from experience to reboot the computer at this point. When I do the shutdown process goes on and on. If I turn off the Profire during this event my system continues with the restart normally.

Teleport server=bitbridge

Freddie H
    RE: Anyone interested in trying Windows 7 2009/05/07 17:22:05 (permalink)
    I follow this thread closely! Eager to hear feedback from you all!

Regards
    Freddie
    dantarbill
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1820
    RE: Anyone interested in trying Windows 7 2009/05/07 18:52:14 (permalink)

You forget one great feature in Windows 7! All your drivers and native XP programs + all your VISTA drivers and programs (even Windows 95 programs) will run and work perfectly in WINDOWS 7! Think about that, that is the most awesome about it all!

No matter what old piece of s-hit / drivers and programs, it will still RUN / work inside Windows 7 no matter what! Talk about flexible universal platform!

Ok...that's one that I'm going to need explicit confirmation and clarification on...

I have a MOTU MIDI Express XT Parallel port interface that presently doesn't have driver support for XP x64 or any flavor of Vista. Are you implying (or saying explicitly) that I will be able to run this device under Windows 7? Do you have a link to some claim on a feature list to back this up?

Dan Tarbill
    Freddie H
    RE: Anyone interested in trying Windows 7 2009/05/08 04:46:01 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: dantarbill

Ok...that's one that I'm going to need explicit confirmation and clarification on...

I have a MOTU MIDI Express XT Parallel port interface that presently doesn't have driver support for XP x64 or any flavor of Vista. Are you implying (or saying explicitly) that I will be able to run this device under Windows 7? Do you have a link to some claim on a feature list to back this up?

Yes, I suppose so!

All drivers and programs from Windows XP and there on, should work in Windows 7. Microsoft them self are very eager about this new feature in Windows 7.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/

And without Virtual PC too, because its included inside the WINDOWS 7 OS too. I haven't tried it my self but people on forums have, reports of even installed and used win95 program that works. Use audio drivers for XP or VISTA inside Windows 7 so on.. I think you get the point... I guess Microsoft learn of the mistakes with VISTA not being backward comparability. I will send some more links so you can read for yourself when I find it again. I think all, “Home users and Pro/Companies users” will transient to WINDOWS 7 very quickly when it will be released approximately January 2010 because of this.

In the mean time, you can try the release candidate of Windows 7 and try it for your self, if the drive work. I bet it will!

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/download.aspx

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/

Regards
    Freddie
    post edited by Freddie H - 2009/05/08 04:56:36
    cdickey
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 126
    RE: Anyone interested in trying Windows 7 2009/05/08 15:08:56 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: WDI

2.Lower Audio latency

It is odd that Microsoft Marketing mentions very little about audio performance improvements in Windows 7. The re-design of the Vista kernel to support up to 256 processors resulted in substantial internal operating system performance improvements. The main point is that many locks that caused bottlenecks with multiple threads waiting were eliminated. This means that individual threads can finish their work faster because they are not slowed down by the actions of other threads. This translates to lower latency and better multithreaded Sonar 8.3.1 performance.

Microsoft does claim that streaming multimedia performance has been improved. You certainly don't see Microsoft claim that DAW latencies have been reduced. I expect to see improvement details published for gamers but not DAW users.

The Cakewalk development experts should contribute their experience concerning the details of Sonar 8.3.1 running on Windows 7. They know the details important to DAW users since they have collaborated with Microsoft on audio performance design issues. Microsoft is aggressively advocating Windows 7 RC downloads to general users. Now is the time for the Cakewalk experts to educate their customers.

post edited by cdickey - 2009/05/08 15:22:26
    John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    RE: Anyone interested in trying Windows 7 2009/05/08 15:46:55 (permalink)
    We DAW users are a insignificant if not an unmeasurable number when MS is bringing out a new OS. I don't think we have much influence to them. That is not to say that they are unaware just that when they market its to the masses not us. The people reading about Windows 7 would only wonder what they are talking about latency of multi channel recording and playback.

Best
    John
    Jim Roseberry
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9871
    RE: Anyone interested in trying Windows 7 2009/05/08 15:59:13 (permalink)
    The Cakewalk development experts should contribute their experience concerning the details of Sonar 8.3.1 running on Windows 7. They know the details important to DAW users since they have collaborated with Microsoft on audio performance design issues. Microsoft is aggressively advocating Windows 7 RC downloads to general users. Now is the time for the Cakewalk experts to educate their customers.

FWIW, You're not going to notice any kind of night vs. day performance improvement moving from XP or Vista to Windows 7.
    Take Vista SP1, lower the DPC latency (straight out of the box), make the UI a bit snappier, and you've pretty well described what you can expect from Win7.
    Win7 is going to be a nice DAW platform... but it's more evolution than revolution.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    VariousArtist
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1397
    RE: Anyone interested in trying Windows 7 2009/05/08 16:18:01 (permalink)
    I have the Release Candidate for Windows 7 and I'm confident enough from the beta that I tested to be trying that on a laptop this weekend as the primary OS. Famous last words?
    cdickey
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 126
    RE: Anyone interested in trying Windows 7 2009/05/08 16:33:39 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Jim Roseberry
    FWIW, You're not going to notice any kind of night vs. day performance improvement moving from XP or Vista to Windows 7.
    Take Vista SP1, lower the DPC latency (straight out of the box), make the UI a bit snappier, and you've pretty well described what you can expect from Win7.
    Win7 is going to be a nice DAW platform... but it's more evolution than revolution.

This presentation describes details of changes to Windows 7 deep internals that should have a very positive impact on lowering latency and increasing multithreaded app performance. Yes, Windows 7 is an evolution of Vista, but the Microsoft developers have taken a few very big steps.

http://channel9.msdn.com/shows/Going+Deep/Mark-Russinovich-Inside-Windows-7/

I would agree that Vista SP1 is pretty much already good enough. The improvements in Windows 7 combined with the new intel I7 architecture should provide almost non-existent latencies.

Of course hardware drivers matter a lot. nVidia just released a new version of drivers for all their graphics cards that they claim improve workstation performance.
    Freddie H
    RE: Anyone interested in trying Windows 7 2009/05/08 16:45:58 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: cdickey

ORIGINAL: Jim Roseberry

This presentation describes details of changes to Windows 7 deep internals that should have a very positive impact on lowering latency and increasing multithreaded app performance. Yes, Windows 7 is an evolution of Vista, but the Microsoft developers have taken a few very big steps.

I would agree that Vista SP1 is pretty much already good enough. The improvements in Windows 7 combined with the new intel I7 architecture should provide almost non-existent latencies.

Of course hardware drivers matter a lot. nVidia just released a new version of drivers for all their graphics cards that they claim improve workstation performance.

VISTA Service pack2 will soon be out! It should have the same improvement over the audio latency like WINDOWS 7 does, so that's awesome too!

Regards
    Freddie
    Freddie H
    RE: Anyone interested in trying Windows 7 2009/05/09 04:51:21 (permalink)
    bump
    jamescater
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 175
    RE: Anyone interested in trying Windows 7 2009/05/09 10:17:17 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: dantarbill

Yes, I suppose so!

All drivers and programs from Windows XP and there on, should work in Windows 7. Microsoft them self are very eager about this new feature in Windows 7.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/

Regards
    Freddie

Please don't get excited about the XP within windows 7 feature. It is only really suitable for legacy applications that cannot run in Windows Vista/7

When you run XP applications this way then Windows 7 will create an entire Windows XP operating sytem that will run in a virtual machine within Windows 7.
    As you can imagine this is not the most efficient way to run applications

a) There will be a significant performance hit for any applications running within the virtual environment
    b) You will effectively be be running Windows XP, so why bother running Windows 7 at all
    c) You will have to maintain 2 separate operating systems - install applications twice / tweak registry settings twice etc etc

So bottom line is it's totally unsuitable for DAW applications.

The Windows driver model changed for Vista and is identical for Windows 7. If your sound card drivers do not work on Windows Vista then they will not work on Windows 7

If your sound drivers only work on Windows XP then stay with Windows XP or get a new sound interface before trying out Windows 7.
    Freddie H
    RE: Anyone interested in trying Windows 7 2009/05/09 15:40:59 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jamescater

Please don't get excited about the XP within windows 7 feature. It is only really suitable for legacy applications that cannot run in Windows Vista/7

When you run XP applications this way then Windows 7 will create an entire Windows XP operating sytem that will run in a virtual machine within Windows 7.
    As you can imagine this is not the most efficient way to run applications

a) There will be a significant performance hit for any applications running within the virtual environment
    b) You will effectively be be running Windows XP, so why bother running Windows 7 at all
    c) You will have to maintain 2 separate operating systems - install applications twice / tweak registry settings twice etc etc

So bottom line is it's totally unsuitable for DAW applications.

The Windows driver model changed for Vista and is identical for Windows 7. If your sound card drivers do not work on Windows Vista then they will not work on Windows 7

If your sound drivers only work on Windows XP then stay with Windows XP or get a new sound interface before trying out Windows 7.

Hi friend!

First off! Your info is not true, have look yourself!

Windows 7 can use kernel32 on top of WINDOWS 7, new 64bit core layer.

Secondly you need to upgrade to Windows 7 64bit OS not another way around!
    XP 32 is dieing like the dinosaurs once did and thank god for that!!

Regards
    Freddie
    soundtweaker
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1036
    RE: Anyone interested in trying Windows 7 2009/05/09 18:10:50 (permalink)
    You can download the final version already.
    sgerick
    RE: Anyone interested in trying Windows 7 2009/05/09 21:39:54 (permalink)
    So I decided to go the route of doing a clean install. However, I didn't have enough disk to create a partition of sufficient size so I bought a second hard drive. Seagate 500GB barracuda SATA drive. I now switch in BIOS between the two drives for booting to my "production system" install and my "window 7" boot drive.

1. Windows 7 installed fine. It even automatically installed the right video for my card and extended my desktop onto my seconday 20" monitor. I thought that was pretty cool.
    I do get a fairly frequent screen jubmle and jump to bluescree whenever I shutdown, or restart. I'm not sure yet what is causing this, but I suspect the video driver that
    Windows 7 installe for me is not as compatible as I thought. Still more testing to do there.
    2. Aftering installing the base OS I installed my Profire 2626. I used the 64-bit Mudio drivers. I had to set the properties on the install file to have it run in WIndows Vista
    Service Pack 2 compatibility mode.
    3. I installed Sonar next. 8.01 then Dimenson Pro, Beatscape 1.0 then 8.02 then Beatscape 1.02. The I installed the 8.30 patch - then the 8.30 content patch. Finally I
    installed 8.3.1. I DID NOT run these in VIsta compatibility mode just to see if it would work and it did. I think installed the Session Drummer Hip-Hop Pack I use.
    4. I then ran Sonar with the WDM driver- default SOnar settings. I pulled up a composition I did on my production drive and althought it had some errors from pluging and instrument not yet installed - in play fine.
    5. I was able to install Antares AVOX 2 with the usual errors (ones I had before, but it still worked). However, I am having trouble now with my ILOK dongle. I can seem to get the driver to install no matter what I do.
    6. I've decided to try to stay as 64-bit as I possible cant on this Windows 7 install. So, I looking for advice of effects and instruments that run in native 64-bit mode. I'm trying to avoid the bit-bridge issue - though I am testing specificallt one instrument in particular to see if bit-bridge is more stable under Win7. Plus I love the old Moody Blues sounds and MTRON is the closest product to reproducing that sound that I have seen.

To be continued............

Steve Gerick
    VeeVeeVee Productions
    tarbox23
    • Total Posts : 10
    RE: Anyone interested in trying Windows 7 2009/05/09 21:50:02 (permalink)
    Just to add one more voice, I am running Windows 7 RC x64 and Sonar Producer 8 x64 and am having no issues. Seems much snappier than Vista x64, which I had running with S7 & S8 in 2008.

I have also been running Sonar 8 x64 in Win 7 x64 beta since January 2009. Never had a single problem. Izotope Ozone 4 also runs aok in it.

-mat tarbox

http://www.mysticmusicarc...hts/sodium-lights.html

Win7 x64 | Sonar PE 8.3.1 x64

Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1