Helpful ReplyAnyone know what happened to Kjaerhus Audio? And what does it mean for VC64 Sonar plugin?

Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Author
eratu
Max Output Level: -46.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2856
2010/04/29 17:57:32 (permalink)

Anyone know what happened to Kjaerhus Audio? And what does it mean for VC64 Sonar plugin?

Hi Guys,

I was just talking with a client and suggested he check out Kjaerhus Audio plugins for his home studio. Then we discovered the domain is expired and the website is gone -- http://www.kjaerhusaudio.com -- (at least as of the time of this post). That was pretty shocking. Made me wonder what was going on with them -- they had some excellent products. In fact, Cakewalk's own VC64 Vintage Channel plugin is essentially a reskinned version of Kjaerhus' Golden Channel plugin. So that makes me wonder what's going on with VC64 as well.

If Kjaerhus has been having troubles or in the process of changing (for whatever reason) and/or perhaps was on the verge of going out of business (pure speculation), that would at least explain why VC64 was never updated to x64. I've been wondering what Cakewalk was going to do with Sonar 9 and finally updating VC64.... which seems a bit overdue by now.

Anyway, would love to know if anyone knows what's going on. Would be a shame to lose such a fine plugin developer, if that's what happened.

Or, maybe we can hope that Cakewalk loved VC64 so much, as well as their other plugins, that Cakewalk might have just up and bought the rights to Kjaerhus plugins for inclusion in Sonar 9. :)
papa2005
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3250
Re:Anyone know what happened to Kjaerhus Audio? And what does it mean for VC64 Sonar plugi 2010/04/29 18:06:28 (permalink)
That is "shocking"...I sincerely hope they aren't going out of business...Even their free stuff has been useful in many cases...

Regards,
Papa

CLICK HERE for a link to support for SONAR 8.5

CLICK HERE to view a list of video tutorials...

CLICK HERE for a link to Getting Started with Session Drummer 3...
MarlboroMan23
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 776
Re:Anyone know what happened to Kjaerhus Audio? And what does it mean for VC64 Sonar plugi 2010/04/29 23:24:01 (permalink)
This discussion has been going on for a few months over at the KVR forums; downright nasty at times.  I think there was some mention of health and financial problems.  It's a shame it's gone since all of his plugs were very highly rated.  Maybe if Cakewalk steps in and takes the plugs over at least they can "live on" in some way.

most authors of novels regarded as classics are dead, classic novels are, therefore, most likely to be written by dead people.
http://www.soundclick.com/opaquesounds
CJaysMusic
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 30423
Re:Anyone know what happened to Kjaerhus Audio? And what does it mean for VC64 Sonar plugi 2010/04/29 23:35:14 (permalink)
If we all pinch in some $$$$. Maybe we can make a Non-hostile takeover....
Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
Audio Blog
Fog
  • Total Posts : 12302
Re:Anyone know what happened to Kjaerhus Audio? And what does it mean for VC64 Sonar plugi 2010/04/30 12:46:31 (permalink)
MarlboroMan23

This discussion has been going on for a few months over at the KVR forums; downright nasty at times. 

well yer, if they are ill or just have money problems.. fair enough.. but in the case of superwave's vanishing act, the "ill feeling" was justly deserved.. they came back now, fair enough, but years later.

I'm sure cakewalk have direct contact with them anyway , so I wouldn't worry.

strikinglyhandsome1
Max Output Level: -3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7224
Re:Anyone know what happened to Kjaerhus Audio? And what does it mean for VC64 Sonar plugi 2010/04/30 13:36:36 (permalink)
The concern with these things is whether you can carry on using the stuff when it comes to authorising it again and it's disturbing to think that if the ship sinks it takes down even people on dry land.
eratu
Re:Anyone know what happened to Kjaerhus Audio? And what does it mean for VC64 Sonar plugi 2010/04/30 14:27:56 (permalink)
I agree about the authorization issue. I think if Kjaerhus is out of business for good (which I sincerely hope is NOT the case), then some provision should be made to allow people who have purchased the plugins to continue to receive authorization, at least for a little while longer, with a known cut-off date, instead of this surprising blackout. Someone as talented as the Kjaerhus team should be able to cook up some sort of simple authorization program (if they don't already have one) and at least provide an email address for a year or two for final, manual authorizations. Seems like a reasonable, responsible thing to do, after you've put so many years of hard work into it.

The question specifically related to Sonar is what happens with VC64... and by extension, whatever other plugins Cakewalk licenses or inclusion with Sonar. VC64 is already NOT x64 (as well all know, it requires BitBridge) and that raises questions as to its future. I've already stopped using it since it's not x64, but I was looking forward to the next "generation" of it. But now that it appears -- at least for now -- that Kjaerhus is no longer in business, I would be concerned about updates, unless Cakewalk has the source code (which I hope they do, but for some reason I doubt). It also makes me think twice about Cakewalk's approach to licensing third-party plugins without some deeper, longer-term relationship with the developers, and some sort of protection from this type of event -- it seems like Cakewalk has different models of working with third-party developers... like in the case of Rene, he's been involved in other excellent Cakewalk plugins and I believe he is actually partially or fully employed by Cakewalk now (correct me if I'm wrong)...  and I believe with Sonitus, Cakewalk actually has the source code in-house, if I'm not mistaken. However, with VC64 I get the impression it was a reskinned license only, which means we may be out of luck.

I understand such things happen, and are unfortunate. No one can predict the future. I just hope we see the Kjaerhus team back again. They clearly had something special to offer. At least, I hope all is well with their personal lives -- who knows, but sometimes "life happens" so I wish them well.
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re:Anyone know what happened to Kjaerhus Audio? And what does it mean for VC64 Sonar plugi 2010/04/30 14:57:57 (permalink)
Standard practice when you enter into a contractual agreement to private-label a third-party vendor's products, is to include a clause in the contract that places the source code into escrow in case the vendor can no longer support the product. I assume CW follows this practice. It's also possible CW already has access to the source, in case they've had to customize it (e.g. make it work only with CW products).
post edited by bitflipper - 2010/04/30 15:01:16

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
SF_Green
Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1403
Re:Anyone know what happened to Kjaerhus Audio? And what does it mean for VC64 Sonar plugi 2010/04/30 15:35:20 (permalink)
That stinks.  I was just on their website about a week ago, but I knew it had been fairly inactive for a while.  Besides the VC64, I also have their Golden Modulator which I love.  It's extremely versatile and sounds really good.  The free "Classic" plugs are pretty good too.

AMD FX-8370, Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3,  Win7x64 SP1, 16Gb CorsairDDR3-1600, GeForce GTX 950 (390.65), SSD 525Gb (OS), SATA 3 & 1.5Tb, MOTU microlite, RME FireFace 800 (D 3.124, fw 2.77), UAD-2Q, Adam A7X, A-800 PRO, CC121
Cubase Pro 10.0.5, SonarPt-2017.10 (x64), Reason10.2, Live 10.0.5 Suite, Wavelab Elements 9.5.40, Komplete10Ult, POD Farm2.5, Omnisphere2.5, BFD3, Alesis QS7.1, Arturia BeatStep Pro, POD HD500, Alesis ControlPad, ARP Omni, many things with strings. GrSltz My Studio
SilkTone
Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1566
Re:Anyone know what happened to Kjaerhus Audio? And what does it mean for VC64 Sonar plugi 2010/04/30 16:23:17 (permalink)
Sad. I just downloaded a few of their plugins just last week...

I think if a company like this goes out of business they should just release all their plugins for free (and remove the protection). It is not as if they are going to lose any money doing that, but it will at least give those that paid for their products a chance not be left out in the cold with plugins that can no longer be authorized.

Windows 10 Pro x64, SONAR Platinum 64-bit
Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 USB, ASRock Z97 Pro4, Haswell 4790k @ 4.4GHz
32GB DDR3/1600, 500GB SSD (OS) + 256 GB SSD + 3TB MD
NVIDIA GTX-1070, 40" 4K Monitor + 1 Monitor in ISO booth
slartabartfast
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5289
Re:Anyone know what happened to Kjaerhus Audio? And what does it mean for VC64 Sonar plugi 2010/04/30 18:41:06 (permalink)
SilkTone

Sad. I just downloaded a few of their plugins just last week...

I think if a company like this goes out of business they should just release all their plugins for free (and remove the protection). It is not as if they are going to lose any money doing that, but it will at least give those that paid for their products a chance not be left out in the cold with plugins that can no longer be authorized.

In effect you are correct, they may not lose any money. But businesses have a life of their own, and it is not unusual to find that what is left of a company's assets at the conclusion of business is still owned by someone (company creditors, owners estates etc.) who has no real idea of how to carry on but no authority to give anything away.

The dark side of the licensed-not-owned business model is that it is usually not clear what if any recourse the licensee has when the licensor is gone. Nowhere in your Cakewalk license will you find any guarantee of ongoing support or service if Cakewalk goes belly-up. At least you could still run their software. With some of the digital rights management systems that require constant re-authorization, the software will cease to function or will die with the machine it was last installed on.
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re:Anyone know what happened to Kjaerhus Audio? And what does it mean for VC64 Sonar plugi 2010/04/30 23:17:47 (permalink)
...the software will cease to function or will die with the machine it was last installed on.

And that's not a hypothetical scenario, either. It has happened to me. Twice. When it did, I had no choice but to circumvent their authorization scheme in order to upgrade my computer. That experience really soured me on the whole premise of copy protection.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
eratu
Re:Anyone know what happened to Kjaerhus Audio? And what does it mean for VC64 Sonar plugi 2010/04/30 23:21:59 (permalink)
slartabartfast

... But businesses have a life of their own, and it is not unusual to find that what is left of a company's assets at the conclusion of business is still owned by someone (company creditors, owners estates etc.) who has no real idea of how to carry on but no authority to give anything away.

Exactly. The business, while it may (or may not) be "out of business" from our point of view, still exists as an entity with assets, and those assets (i.e.: intellectual property, code, artwork, marketing materials, website files, even things like mailing lists, etc.) have some sort of value. If the Kjaerhus developers are indeed no longer going to continue forward, then whoever owns the assets at least has the *potential* to sell those assets to some other company/individual. Alternatively, they also have the right to release it however else they want, including as open source software, etc....

One can hope that whoever actually owns the assets will at least make some deal so that those plugins can live on in some form, rather than just disappear off the face of the earth like that. Perhaps a company like Cakewalk is already in negotiation? But maybe we're getting ahead of ourselves. Has there even been a confirmation of what happened? Has the owner said something? I have googled, but haven't seen any official word... maybe I missed it. Maybe the owner is just really ill and just inadvertently let the domain name expire? There could be extenuating circumstances that we have no idea about. Anyway, no matter how you look at it, it's unfortunate for all involved.
SF_Green
Re:Anyone know what happened to Kjaerhus Audio? And what does it mean for VC64 Sonar plugi 2010/05/01 01:02:10 (permalink)
Ionian

bitflipper

And that's not a hypothetical scenario, either. It has happened to me. Twice. When it did, I had no choice but to circumvent their authorization scheme in order to upgrade my computer. That experience really soured me on the whole premise of copy protection. 

I know the feeling.  I'm an original Gigasampler 96 owner.  I have a machine running Win98 specifically to keep it going.  I've tried bringing it to XP but it crashes like heck so I just keep it running on it's own Win98 machine.  

Tascam no longer maintains Giga, right?  I know my Gigasampler 96 authorizes over the internet.  I'm sure it's incapable of getting authorization anymore.  If something happens to my lowly Win98 machine, even if I build another little one chances are I can't get Giga authorized again.

Argh... it's always the ones who pay who end up paying in the end!

Frank

Garritan bought Giga off Tascam recently:

http://www.gigastudio.com/release.html

AMD FX-8370, Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3,  Win7x64 SP1, 16Gb CorsairDDR3-1600, GeForce GTX 950 (390.65), SSD 525Gb (OS), SATA 3 & 1.5Tb, MOTU microlite, RME FireFace 800 (D 3.124, fw 2.77), UAD-2Q, Adam A7X, A-800 PRO, CC121
Cubase Pro 10.0.5, SonarPt-2017.10 (x64), Reason10.2, Live 10.0.5 Suite, Wavelab Elements 9.5.40, Komplete10Ult, POD Farm2.5, Omnisphere2.5, BFD3, Alesis QS7.1, Arturia BeatStep Pro, POD HD500, Alesis ControlPad, ARP Omni, many things with strings. GrSltz My Studio
MarlboroMan23
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 776
Re:Anyone know what happened to Kjaerhus Audio? And what does it mean for VC64 Sonar plugi 2010/05/01 01:12:21 (permalink)
eratu

It also makes me think twice about Cakewalk's approach to licensing third-party plugins without some deeper, longer-term relationship with the developers, and some sort of protection from this type of event -- 

...  and I believe with Sonitus, Cakewalk actually has the source code in-house, if I'm not mistaken. However, with VC64 I get the impression it was a reskinned license only, which means we may be out of luck.

I got the feeling with the newer -64 plugs (LP series, PX and VX) that Cake was moving to an all in-house plug-in development plan.  VC-64 and TL-64 may have been the last outsourced parts of Sonar along with Perfect Space.  Pretty sure Cakewalk bought Sonitus and owns the code fully now.

I remember way back at a Sonar 2 demo someone asked why Sonar didn't natively support VST and had to use the FXpansion wrapper.  The rep said the thinking at Cakewalk was why reinvent the wheel when we can just license the technology.  I imagine there is a long term plan to slowly phase out the licensing of other company's products.  I can see the pros and cons of both though.

most authors of novels regarded as classics are dead, classic novels are, therefore, most likely to be written by dead people.
http://www.soundclick.com/opaquesounds
papa2005
  • Total Posts : 3250
Re:Anyone know what happened to Kjaerhus Audio? And what does it mean for VC64 Sonar plugi 2010/05/01 04:42:10 (permalink)
Unfortunately, I just discovered a thread dating back to January 25th of this year on the KVR Audio forums...The following information was all I could get out of reading several of the 21 pages of the thread:

1) A user sent email to Kjaerhus regarding not being able to license/authorize a KA product he'd recently purchased;

2) He received a response from Torben Kjaerhus Larsen (company founder & software developer) that basically said the following:

Sorry but the license server is down. It was owned by KeyToSound and closed. we are working on a solution.

Late reply due to silly restrictions sending mails from new ISP.

3) The user asked about a time frame estimate when he might be able to license/authorize his purchase.

4) Torben responded: "I honestly do not know. No resources left in company for anything atm."

All of this was happening way back in January. Sadly, the truth may never be known...

Regards,
Papa

CLICK HERE for a link to support for SONAR 8.5

CLICK HERE to view a list of video tutorials...

CLICK HERE for a link to Getting Started with Session Drummer 3...
cliffsp8
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 375
Re:Anyone know what happened to Kjaerhus Audio? And what does it mean for VC64 Sonar plugi 2010/05/01 09:56:27 (permalink)
check out this link

http://www.brothersoft.co...er/kjaerhus-audio.html

Cliff

edit - oops this is broken too, shame 
:-(
post edited by cliffsp8 - 2010/05/01 09:58:57
eratu
Re:Anyone know what happened to Kjaerhus Audio? And what does it mean for VC64 Sonar plugi 2010/05/01 10:13:52 (permalink)
MarlboroMan23

I got the feeling with the newer -64 plugs (LP series, PX and VX) that Cake was moving to an all in-house plug-in development plan. 

Looks that way, and I hope it continues that direction. Seems to coincide with the investment/acquisition by Roland, and if so, makes sense. There are a lot of talented people at Roland, and I hope Cakewalk and Roland are working closely together to leverage their resources... other than just tweaking and rebranding the Edirol product line. ;)
eratu
Re:Anyone know what happened to Kjaerhus Audio? And what does it mean for VC64 Sonar plugi 2010/05/01 10:17:18 (permalink)
SF_Green

Wow, totally missed that one. Thanks for the heads up.

SilkTone
Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1566
Re:Anyone know what happened to Kjaerhus Audio? And what does it mean for VC64 Sonar plugi 2010/05/01 13:47:46 (permalink)
I remember reading many years ago of a company that made a "promise" that if they ever went out of business, they would either make their source code freely available, or disable their copy protection (forgot which). I also don't remember which company this was. Not even sure whether this software was music-related or not.

The point is that there are at least some companies that try and put their users at ease that they won't be left out in the cold when the business shuts down.

As to papa's comment about the KVR thread dating back to January... What I don't understand is how can any company that is either out of business, or at the brink of going out of business, still sell licenses when they know those users might never even be able to authorize their software. I mean, it is not as if them going out of business was something that happened overnight.

Windows 10 Pro x64, SONAR Platinum 64-bit
Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 USB, ASRock Z97 Pro4, Haswell 4790k @ 4.4GHz
32GB DDR3/1600, 500GB SSD (OS) + 256 GB SSD + 3TB MD
NVIDIA GTX-1070, 40" 4K Monitor + 1 Monitor in ISO booth
SF_Green
Re:Anyone know what happened to Kjaerhus Audio? And what does it mean for VC64 Sonar plugi 2010/05/01 15:55:02 (permalink)
eratu

SF_Green

Wow, totally missed that one. Thanks for the heads up.

Anytime!
cheers

Razorwit
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1235
Re:Anyone know what happened to Kjaerhus Audio? And what does it mean for VC64 Sonar plugi 2010/05/01 16:54:09 (permalink)
I purchased the MPL1 Pro back in 06 and when I moved over to my Win7 64-bit machine tried to re-auth.  Sent email, but no response.  I'm kinda bummed. 

Here's hoping there is some licensing solution....

Dean

Intel Core i7; 32GB RAM; Win10 Pro x64;RME HDSPe MADI FX; Orion 32 and Lynx Aurora 16; Mics and other stuff...
Crg
  • Total Posts : 7719
Re:Anyone know what happened to Kjaerhus Audio? And what does it mean for VC64 Sonar plugi 2010/05/01 17:38:49 (permalink)
As in all intellectual property such as software. Someone will inherit or gain rights to the code for those plugins due to standing contracts or rights. New owners will be assigned control. Whether or not the genius behind the invention will continue, is another matter.

Craig DuBuc
Blades
  • Total Posts : 3246
Re:Anyone know what happened to Kjaerhus Audio? And what does it mean for VC64 Sonar plugi 2010/05/01 21:32:40 (permalink)
Well, whatever the status of the company itself, it's DNS records come back with this in there:

kjaerhusaudio.com IN NS expired-domain-ns50.directnic.com 86400s (1.00:00:00)
kjaerhusaudio.com IN NS expired-domain-ns51.directnic.com 86400s (1.00:00:00)
post edited by Blades - 2010/05/01 21:33:43

Blades
www.blades.technology  - Technology Info and Tutorials for Music and Web
Mully
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1545
Re:Anyone know what happened to Kjaerhus Audio? And what does it mean for VC64 Sonar plugi 2010/05/02 08:27:09 (permalink)
..dang. Some good stuff from them and they will be missed if in fact gone.

ASUS H270, i7-7700, JLM BA & 1290, LA2A Opto4, loads of guff.
lfm
Max Output Level: -53 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2216
Re:Anyone know what happened to Kjaerhus Audio? And what does it mean for VC64 Sonar plugi 2010/05/02 11:35:56 (permalink)
A couple of month ago I put a mail to Torgen asking about 64-bit versions because I was interested in the Gold series plugins and thought of a full bundle.

Never heard from him.

So if not doing any registering things, mail just ****s up, it's something different than a server is down.

And now his domain is gone as already mentioned.

Kjerhus is gone that's for sure.

Hopefully Cake is having a deal coming having bought the lot of his production. It seems to me that it would be an asset to have these under the Cake roof. I would go for some of these plugins for sure.
droddey
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5147
Re:Anyone know what happened to Kjaerhus Audio? And what does it mean for VC64 Sonar plugi 2010/06/05 00:19:34 (permalink)
It's a brutal market. He had some good stuff. I only use a very small number of plugs, but GEQ-7 and GCO-1 are among them. But with people just being so incredibly tight wad'ish and other people just ripping off software with zero thought of the consequences and their being so many plugin companies and most folks not knowing good from bad, he just never seemed to be able to get his stuff enough respect to make it I guess.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
www.charmedquark.com
Freddie H
Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3617
Re:Anyone know what happened to Kjaerhus Audio? And what does it mean for VC64 Sonar plugi 2010/06/05 07:43:09 (permalink)
I don't think we will ever gonna see any x64bit VC64 Vintage Channel.

End of day, it doesn't matter. I'm pretty sure it will be replaced with new x64bit Cakewalk plugins in the near future."Perhaps" the new SONAR 9 will come sooner what you all expect and it will be packed with all kind of new goodies and GUI upgrades.

Only time will tell!
post edited by Freddie H - 2010/06/05 07:45:27

-Highly developed spirits often encounter resistance from mediocre minds. -It really matters!
eratu
Re:Anyone know what happened to Kjaerhus Audio? And what does it mean for VC64 Sonar plugi 2010/06/05 09:06:08 (permalink)
Freddie H

... Sonar 9... ...and it will be packed with all kind of new goodies and GUI upgrades....

I hope not. We have enough goodies, IMO. I hope they spend a lot of time on professional workflow features and refining the main app. If VC64 dies an ignoble death and fades into the 32-bit limelight, that will be sad indeed, but I definitely don't want Cakewalk to be spending any time on creating a replacement in-house for now. Okay, maybe hire whatever is left of Kjaerhus (if they can find him) to recompile for an x64 version of the plugin, but PLEASE don't divert any important resources from workflow enhancements!

Adding more "goodies" is what got us into this situation in the first place. Fewer goodies, more focus on the main app!

Just my opinion. :)

Freddie H
Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3617
Re:Anyone know what happened to Kjaerhus Audio? And what does it mean for VC64 Sonar plugi 2010/06/05 15:08:54 (permalink)
eratu

Freddie H

... Sonar 9... ...and it will be packed with all kind of new goodies and GUI upgrades....

I hope not. We have enough goodies, IMO. I hope they spend a lot of time on professional workflow features and refining the main app. If VC64 dies an ignoble death and fades into the 32-bit limelight, that will be sad indeed, but I definitely don't want Cakewalk to be spending any time on creating a replacement in-house for now. Okay, maybe hire whatever is left of Kjaerhus (if they can find him) to recompile for an x64 version of the plugin, but PLEASE don't divert any important resources from workflow enhancements!

Adding more "goodies" is what got us into this situation in the first place. Fewer goodies, more focus on the main app!

Just my opinion. :)

Agree!  New batch-features and new GUI-upgrade are workflow enhancements. "Perhaps" even an new better console view.

Best Regards
Freddie

-Highly developed spirits often encounter resistance from mediocre minds. -It really matters!
Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1