Are Unmemorized Lyrics Remembered?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
NoKey
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 974
Re:Memorize Lyrics? 2010/07/19 18:45:01 (permalink)
Dave King

So lately I have been writing the key down, along with the lyrics in the text files that I do keep on such songs.

Sure, I do the same thing - particularly if it's a song I have written myself and determined that I like the chord voicings for example using a capo on the 2nd fret and and playing in G (if you know what I mean)>  I usually determine this after experimenting with different keys and figuring out which is best for my voice and playing preferences.

Oh!...

Thanks so much for answering....This's been kind of a stone in the shoe for me for a long time.

Although some songs I do remember, somehow.

I think, though it's a matter of really wanting to remember, or perhaps having to remember things, or having a real interest in why one needs to remember something that ultimately makes a difference.

Songs I've produced with Sonar LE: http://www.soundclick.com...ult.cfm?bandID=1086857
Dave King
Max Output Level: -46.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2862
Re:Memorize Lyrics? 2010/07/19 20:10:42 (permalink)
I think, though it's a matter of really wanting to remember, or perhaps having to remember things, or having a real interest in why one needs to remember something that ultimately makes a difference.

For me, as a performer knowing the lyrics and chords to all of the songs I perform from memory is what separates the men from the boys.  You don't know how many times people will come up and want to sing with me and get a few lines into the song and their done.   I think these tend to be karaoke people who may be able to carry a tune, but don't have the songs committed to memory.  When you're doing it all yourself with no aids, it's a whole different story.

Dave King
www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
StudioCat PC
Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1 
Intel Corel i5 3450 CPU @3.10 GHz 
RAM 8 GB
M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

No How
Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5180
Re:Memorize Lyrics? 2010/07/21 09:28:00 (permalink)
I disagree.   If you need a sheet to read the song it doesn't mean they aren't memorable.  It means you didn't memorize them yet (for the simple reason of having too many things on the mind).  The whole thing is in singing as if they were old hat.  There are many lyrics that i've memorized that are completely drivel and many i haven't that are infectious.
post edited by No How - 2010/07/21 09:29:43

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
Philip
Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4062
Re:Memorize Lyrics? 2010/07/21 23:29:11 (permalink)
Thanks for chiming again guys, Dave and Reckless,

I tell myself ... "such and such is too easy to memorize" and rarely memorize any more.

Mark Baxter is extremely keen on memorization (Rock and Roll Singer's Survival Guide)

Karaoke (reading the other guy's lyrics) at church or party is pretty humiliating for me after reading Mark Baxter.  Baxter (old school?), seems to eschew it with powerful arguments, IIRC.

One thing I've done on my last 2 songs (in my rodent labs)

... while 'creating' the lyrics ... was to not write the lyrics at all!:

IOWS: I 'dribbled my groanings' to a 'sweet beat and chords' and my last 2 songs feel more powerful than anything I've methodically written.

Many of Robert Plant's groaning samples seemed unrehearsed.  He got in contact with his demons and angels ad-hoc, and later 'remembered' those hooks.

Philip  
(Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
Bristol_Jonesey
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 16775
Re:Memorize Lyrics? 2010/07/22 09:39:30 (permalink)
Jind

For some reason I can never remeber my own lyrics, but if you asked me for the lyrics of any Rush song, I could probably pull them out of my cerebral cortex for you.

I know, I know - I'm  big geek, but I do love my Rush.

"I bring truth and understanding,
I bring wit and wisdom fair,
precious gifts beyond compare.
We can build a world of wonder,
I can make you all aware.
I will find you food and shelter,
show you fire to keep you warm
Through the endless winter storm.
You can live in grace and comfort
in the world that you transform."

Nice one Jind! Hemispheres I believe.

I could, if I could be bothered and had the time, write dwon most of the words to Close To The Edge.

But again, that's because I listened to it over and over and over again from 1971 onwards when it was released.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
UbiquitousBubba
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8912
Re:Memorize Lyrics? 2010/07/22 11:45:08 (permalink)
Someone I can't remember said that your audience will probably not care more about your material than you do.  If the lyrics don't matter enough to you to memorize them, then why should they matter enough to your audience for them to remember them?

That's rather harsh and I don't know how accurate it is.  It's just something I think about when I ponder going to the effort of memorizing my own lyrics.
Philip
Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4062
Re:Memorize Lyrics? 2010/07/24 15:43:22 (permalink)
UbiquitousBubba

Someone I can't remember said that your audience will probably not care more about your material than you do.  If the lyrics don't matter enough to you to memorize them, then why should they matter enough to your audience for them to remember them?

That's rather harsh and I don't know how accurate it is.  It's just something I think about when I ponder going to the effort of memorizing my own lyrics.

+1 IMHO; its not harsh at all to me. 

"Close to the Edge Down by the" is all I remember from that song.

I'll take it a step further: My Lead lyrical hooks (choruses, titles, etc.), IMHO, must be 'easily' memorized by 'everyone' ... else I've completely failed.

My goal usually is broad-pop ... not rock or metal confusion.

Songs are not dittsy poems

... Songs are strong statements: listeners must be sought for and hooked. 

If I don't hook a listener, I may be edifying self only ... I've completely failed.

I might make the music complex (another topic) ... but my lyrical hooks had better be simple, clear, and memorable enough for a child or granny to remember.

Philip  
(Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1