Are Unmemorized Lyrics Remembered?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Philip
Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4062
2010/07/14 22:48:57 (permalink)

Are Unmemorized Lyrics Remembered?

EDIT for Clarity: ie: "Duh! ... If 'I' can't remember my (lead) lyrics, perhaps no one else will"

Depending on the genre, there goes my title and hook ... down the drain ...

Hah!  IMHO: 90% of the vox-songs (including mine) I've listened to on Songs Forum sound like they're narrated from a complex cheat-cheat, a biology text, and/or a paper towel! 

IOWs, the whole song seems:
... clinically fabricated
& melodically narrated

If you catch my drift. 

Or ... is it just me doing it?

------------------------------------------------------------
Hypotheses:

1) If 'my' song is difficult to understand and I submitted it to Songs Forum ... I'd hypothesize that I 'forgot' to memorize the lead-lyrics and/or the dominant element.  (Bad boy!  'I' just wrote another d&mned murky d!ssertation for Dr. Dawkins!)

2) Time for a re-write (depending on the genre) since 'I' can't be bothered to remember 'my lyrics'!

3) IOWs, 'I' am guilty of not memorizing 'my' lyrics and expecting my lowly target audience to instead.  Hah!

4) Ad-hoc studio lyrics are better than 'exquiste poetry'.  But either way, the main (dominant lead) gist should utterly hook one's bad self.

5) Many artists expect to memorize their lyrics 'in due time' ... while the audience must suffer narration syndrome.

6) To memorize the whole painting with all its orchestrations ... I won't go there.

7) Maybe I'm dreaming, but un-memorized performances are ruining us.

8) Too much memorizing is also fatal (as per speech theory)!

Any feelings on the importance of swiftly memorizing lead lyrics before publishing them?
post edited by Philip - 2010/07/16 01:03:42

Philip  
(Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501

36 Replies Related Threads

The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:Memorize Lyrics? 2010/07/14 23:31:58 (permalink)
    Write them on the back of your hand?

If you're not going for a freestyle approach... then working with lyrics you haven't memorized suggests that you have somehow side stepped the whole rehearsal process.

Some folks feel that rehearsal and practice will polish a performance.

Actually, a lot of folks do.

Philip
    Re:Memorize Lyrics? 2010/07/14 23:34:38 (permalink)
    Currently, I'm staring at Post-it notes (which I 'jotted' while driving) and will perform studio songs (publicly) ... only in my dreams (for awhile).

(My latest sketch is a free-style approach)

Too much memorizing vs. too little ...

... finding that sweet freshness somewhere in between.

... happy accidents, etc.
    post edited by Philip - 2010/07/14 23:43:22

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

The Maillard Reaction
    Re:Memorize Lyrics? 2010/07/14 23:38:17 (permalink)
    Nice.

FWIW, I have always had difficulty with memorizing lyrics, even my own, as well as song names... while at the same time I have a weird interest in melodies and seem to retain them longer than seems healthy.

Practice and more practice is the only thing that lets me get thru a song without dropping the lyrics.

best,
    mike

Philip
    Re:Memorize Lyrics? 2010/07/14 23:46:11 (permalink)
    Thanks Mike (as always) ... for kindly sharing.

"Even Song Names"

Yeh, me too. 

I forget peoples names all the time.  Ouch!

Philip  

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Memorize Lyrics? 2010/07/15 07:47:18 (permalink)
    Philip, man you are way over thinking this whole lyric thing......

to be honest... I had a hard time understanding the OP....   I will say this: If.....If I was going to put a band together or play live (other than the occasional one or two song appearance) I would want to have all the music lyric in my head and not have to rely on printed music on a stand that can blow off at the critical moment.

I used to be able to remember all the words to all the songs we played...several hundred tunes..... but now..... I've been out of the live giggage thing for many years..... I can't even remember the names of songs... even my own songs as someone else mentioned. I now rely on printed lyric sheets for most all of the stuff I do. 

It's amazing however, that I can remember the lyrics to selected tunes from the past and am able to sing along with the oldies radio station with about a 98% accuracy rate on the oldies..... I think it freaks my daughters out when I sing to the soundtrack of a movie they are watching.....

Hint from an old codger.....

Try this

I find it works very well...

post edited by Guitarhacker - 2010/07/15 08:23:29

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Slugbaby
    Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4172
    Re:Memorize Lyrics? 2010/07/15 08:41:25 (permalink)
    I'm with Guitarhacker. 
    Unless the gig/song is a last-minute addition, learn to memorize the lyrics.  I can still remember almost all the lyrics to every song i've ever loved.  And even some of my own...
    If you can't remember the lyrics, rehearse more.
    (imho)

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
    Philip
    Re:Memorize Lyrics? 2010/07/15 10:19:19 (permalink)
    GH: Hah! Thats a cool score sheet. 

Slugbaby: +1

I think the main point of this thread is:

"If 'I' can't remember my lyrics, no one else will"

Philip  

henkejs
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 489
    Re:Memorize Lyrics? 2010/07/15 11:53:33 (permalink)
    Philip

Sounds to me as though you're being a little hard on yourself as to whether your lyrics are memorable.  Think of how many dozens of times (or more) you've heard your favorite songs, the ones you remember.  Have you heard your own lyrics that many times before you go to record them? 

A few of my songs

SONAR Platinum, Cakewalk by BandLab, Windows 10, Focusrite Scarlett 6i6.
    Garry Stubbs
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2619
    Re:Memorize Lyrics? 2010/07/15 12:54:29 (permalink)
    Here in the UK anyway, the trend started about 20 years ago, and performers started playing bars and clubs with music stands. It seemed to start with the singers, who couldn't be bothered to remember the lyrics, then spread to the guitarists, with their chord charts. Now anyone who knows me knows I'm a live and let live person, so I dont want to come over all cumudgeonly about it, but to me it is at best unprofessional and at worst, totally detracts from the art of performance and interaction and relationship building with both the song and the audience. Why this trend happened I do not know.

Surely it's not too much to ask to learn to perform without crib notes.

Or have I totally lost touch and become an old fart?

https://soundcloud.com/garry-kiosk
    Sonar Platinum 64-bit: Q6600 8Gb Win7 64-bit: KRK Monitors: ART MPA PRO VLA ii preamp: 3 x 500Gb internal SATA disks: Superior Drummer2: GPO4: Realstrat: Saxlab: Rapture: Dimension Pro: Ozone 4: Edirol SPS-660: PCR-500 MIDI controller: Korg PadKontrol: Fender / Gibson / Yamaha / Ibanez guitars:Guitar Rig 5: Dual 22" Monitors: Mapex Drums, Sabian AAX cymbals: Alesis DM5 Pro Kit: SE Electronics and Shure Mics: Mathmos Lava Lamp (40W)
    dmbaer
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2585
    Re:Memorize Lyrics? 2010/07/15 13:20:34 (permalink)
    The Kiosk Project

Here in the UK anyway, the trend started about 20 years ago, and performers started playing bars and clubs with music stands.

Yeah, I've heard players in symphony orchestras are doing that too.  What's the world coming to?! 

skullsession
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1765
    Re:Memorize Lyrics? 2010/07/15 13:37:10 (permalink)
    I've never been bothered by the sight of a guy with a music stand.....whether it be for lyrics or sheet music.

I've written a line or two on my hand once or twice for a gig.  New songs....first time live can be a little unnerving.  We all know they never go as easily as they do at rehearsal.

Halfway through the first verse, the uber-hot waitress walks by and smiles...and then

****BLANK****

But...speaking of good lyrics.  I always know I've got a good song when someone comes up after a show and says...."I love that one song...." and they don't know the name of it, but they repeat the chorus back to me almost word for word.  Rare...but very cool.

Oh...and surely we've all had those nights where you start a song, and for the entire intro you have NO IDEA what the first word is...and if you could just remember that first word, you'd be able to remember the entire song.

I'm also probably more guilty than anyone about forgetting the actual name of the song.

HOOK:  Skullsessions.com  / Darwins God Album

"Without a doubt I would have far greater listening and aural skills than most of the forum members here. Not all but many I am sure....I have done more listening than most people." - Jeff Evans on how awesome Jeff Evans is.
    ohhey
    • Total Posts : 11676
    Re:Memorize Lyrics? 2010/07/15 14:20:36 (permalink)
    Philip

GH: Hah! Thats a cool score sheet. 

Slugbaby: +1

I can remember songs I've done a lot and listen to recordings of from time to time.  So I can't remember most of my songs because I only sang them once or twice and then never hear them again.
    jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    Re:Memorize Lyrics? 2010/07/15 15:05:30 (permalink)
    I tend to forget everything. If you asked me to play the keyboard parts from my last song I would really have to think long and hard about it. And I have listened to that song at least two hundred times!

But I think subconsciously it is on purpose: it empties my brain to work on something else, and hopefully not be too influenced by the last thing I did.
    nomad
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 35
    Re:Memorize Lyrics? 2010/07/15 15:15:44 (permalink)
    I've always found that writing out the lyrics (Even after I've already written them and/or have them printed up) helps me to memorize them.
    Sometimes, if I have a new-ish song that I am not positive I will remember fully, I'll sit by myself before we go on and jot them down on paper, in a notebook, on laptop... whatever is available.

Regardless, for myself, I find that I forget lyrics when my mind is wondering to something outside of the song (rarely during a performance... but more often during practices).

I would never recommend simply reading the lyrics as you sing them.
    Memorize them as best as you can. Practice it over in your head. Note where you tend to mix it up. And then glance at the lyrics  in those spots during your performance (Or, just before those spots, if you get my meaning).

And lastly... it's always better to cover it up as though you meant to do what you did, rather than worry yourself and the audience that you didn't recite the words perfectly ;)

Listen to me at your own risk... I tend to follow no rules, myself. I just notice some tendencies and practices that I've gathered.
    UbiquitousBubba
    • Total Posts : 8912
    Re:Memorize Lyrics? 2010/07/15 17:17:33 (permalink)
    To me, it's not about know or not knowing the lyrics.  It's about having that mental image of how the line must flow and fit the melodic/rhythmic patterns.  If I'm reading the words and stumbling to fit them in, then I don't know the material well enough.  I need to know the ideas, the feeling, and "arc" in order to tailor my performance to fit the song. 

In my opinion, if I don't do these things, it doesn't matter how accurately I sing it or how well I know the words. 

(Yes, I'll often have the lyrics readily available when I'm recording vocals, just in case...)
    Jind
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 878
    Re:Memorize Lyrics? 2010/07/15 17:37:08 (permalink)
    For some reason I can never remeber my own lyrics, but if you asked me for the lyrics of any Rush song, I could probably pull them out of my cerebral cortex for you.

I know, I know - I'm  big geek, but I do love my Rush.

"I bring truth and understanding,
    I bring wit and wisdom fair,
    precious gifts beyond compare.
    We can build a world of wonder,
    I can make you all aware.
    I will find you food and shelter,
    show you fire to keep you warm
    Through the endless winter storm.
    You can live in grace and comfort
    in the world that you transform."

Jind

Sonar X2 PE, Cakewalk V Studio 100; Intel i7 w/ 16 GB Ram, MS Windows 8.1
    NoKey
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 974
    Re:Memorize Lyrics? 2010/07/15 18:07:11 (permalink)
    This is an interesting thread to me, because not being a performer (just a hobby for me), I don't really know the complete lyrics of most songs I like and play....So, I do have many in the computer as text files, so I bring them up to the screen to practice.

But a question I'd like to ask the pros and all else in this thread,  if someone asks you to play a song, do you remember in which key to play it and sing it?

I am sure for may one knows...But if the song has not been played for a long time, how do you manage that?

Thanks!
    Randy P
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3070
    Re:Memorize Lyrics? 2010/07/15 18:08:44 (permalink)
    I think what Philip is alluding to, is that some of the songs in the forum sound as though the singer was reading the lyrics while singing. The real problem with this technique is that the performer isn't "performing". Songs with lyrics tell a story, and its the singer job to relate that story thru a convincing performance. It doesn't matter what the subject matter is, if the singer isn't selling it, the listener isn't buying it. For me, a real strong example of this, is when a singer of less than great technique or perhaps poor pitch control, can draw a listener in with a great performance through emotional delivery. Think Dylan, Prine, Kristofferson etc...

Randy

http://www.soundclick.com/riprorenband

The music biz is a cruel and shallow money trench,a plastic hallway where thieves & pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. Hunter S. Thompson
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Memorize Lyrics? 2010/07/15 19:27:06 (permalink)
    Skullsession.... i ahve done that more than once...start a song and during the intro .....WTH is that first word...and from deep in the subconscious... the word comes just in time..... and I have walked over to the bass player to ask what was the first word of the second verse during the other guitar player's solo......

Randy..... I tend to use words while recording..... however, I rehearse enough so that it is coming from inside  and the words are there to simply keep me on track...... you gotta feel it or it will sound like it's being read.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    henkejs
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 489
    Re:Memorize Lyrics? 2010/07/15 20:59:24 (permalink)
    rsp@odyssey.net

I think what Philip is alluding to, is that some of the songs in the forum sound as though the singer was reading the lyrics while singing. The real problem with this technique is that the performer isn't "performing". Songs with lyrics tell a story, and its the singer job to relate that story thru a convincing performance. It doesn't matter what the subject matter is, if the singer isn't selling it, the listener isn't buying it. For me, a real strong example of this, is when a singer of less than great technique or perhaps poor pitch control, can draw a listener in with a great performance through emotional delivery. Think Dylan, Prine, Kristofferson etc...

Randy
    +1 for the singer selling the song.  This is a problem for some pros as well as us amateurs.

A few of my songs

SONAR Platinum, Cakewalk by BandLab, Windows 10, Focusrite Scarlett 6i6.
    Garry Stubbs
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2619
    Re:Memorize Lyrics? 2010/07/15 21:25:24 (permalink)
    henkejs

rsp@odyssey.net

Randy
    +1 for the singer selling the song.  This is a problem for some pros as well as us amateurs.

This is the point I was making, albeit a bit clumsier, earlier in this thread. Of course crib notes can be useful to have as a back up, on stage or in the studio. Some artists put in great recorded song performances with the lyrics right there in front of them, but if they are really good, they still perform and sell the song, and dont sound like they are in a rehearsal script reading.

https://soundcloud.com/garry-kiosk
    Sonar Platinum 64-bit: Q6600 8Gb Win7 64-bit: KRK Monitors: ART MPA PRO VLA ii preamp: 3 x 500Gb internal SATA disks: Superior Drummer2: GPO4: Realstrat: Saxlab: Rapture: Dimension Pro: Ozone 4: Edirol SPS-660: PCR-500 MIDI controller: Korg PadKontrol: Fender / Gibson / Yamaha / Ibanez guitars:Guitar Rig 5: Dual 22" Monitors: Mapex Drums, Sabian AAX cymbals: Alesis DM5 Pro Kit: SE Electronics and Shure Mics: Mathmos Lava Lamp (40W)
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re:Memorize Lyrics? 2010/07/16 08:10:17 (permalink)
    "It's about having that mental image of how the line must flow and fit the melodic/rhythmic patterns.  If I'm reading the words and stumbling to fit them in, then I don't know the material well enough.  I need to know the ideas, the feeling, and "arc" in order to tailor my performance to fit the song."

This is the way I see it... too me it's like skate boarding, or ballet dancing or something. If you don't have your moves figured out you're not going to be able to flow.
    post edited by mike_mccue - 2010/07/16 08:12:55

Philip
    Re:Memorize Lyrics? 2010/07/17 13:35:30 (permalink)
    Your responses are all too excellent:

Mike_Mccue, Kiosk Project, Henkejs, Dmbaer, SkullSession, Ohhey, YoyoFactory, Nomad, UbiquitousBubba, Jind, NoKey, RSP_Randy, GuitarHacker,

NoKey: I'm guessing 1/15 of us can are able to know-the-key without visual cues. 

I have some songs I remember the key but could not identify that key musically. 

When I play live (church) I try to identify the singer's key by twinging a string/chord or 10.  Some songs are consistently sung in G: "Happy Birthday" for instance ... seems always sung in G (down south).

Randy sums up my concern better than I can:

"I think what Philip is alluding to, is that some of the songs in the forum sound as though the singer was reading the lyrics while singing. The real problem with this technique is that the performer isn't "performing". Songs with lyrics tell a story, and its the singer's job to relate that story thru a convincing performance. It doesn't matter what the subject matter is, if the singer isn't selling it, the listener isn't buying it. For me, a real strong example of this, is when a singer of less than great technique or perhaps poor pitch control, can draw a listener in with a great performance through emotional delivery. Think Dylan, Prine, Kristofferson etc... "

But your responses, all, deal with the same concern and how you cope with it and why.  Thankyou!

Philip  

skullsession
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1765
    Re:Memorize Lyrics? 2010/07/17 14:41:04 (permalink)
    For instance....

She was OBVIOUSLY reading it from a lyric sheet, because....

I, for one, never believed that Britany was sorry....and that she'd never do it again.

HOOK:  Skullsessions.com  / Darwins God Album

"Without a doubt I would have far greater listening and aural skills than most of the forum members here. Not all but many I am sure....I have done more listening than most people." - Jeff Evans on how awesome Jeff Evans is.
    guitardog247
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1226
    Re:Memorize Lyrics? 2010/07/19 14:05:28 (permalink)
    Yes, Randy summed it all up.
    Music is the business of selling emotion. People like recordings because of the way it makes them feel.

Sonar, Les Paul Studio, FTU, puter, plugs.........
    Dave King
    Max Output Level: -46.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2862
    Re:Memorize Lyrics? 2010/07/19 15:30:21 (permalink)
    Now anyone who knows me knows I'm a live and let live person, so I dont want to come over all cumudgeonly about it, but to me it is at best unprofessional and at worst, totally detracts from the art of performance and interaction and relationship building with both the song and the audience. Why this trend happened I do not know.

I absolutely agree.  As a live performer (who never uses a music stand) it seems like "cheating" to me.

I think Michael Stipe of REM may have started it all during the MTV Unplugged series.  I didn't like it then either!

Dave King
    www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
    StudioCat PC
    Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1 
    Intel Corel i5 3450 CPU @3.10 GHz 
    RAM 8 GB
    M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

Dave King
    Re:Memorize Lyrics? 2010/07/19 15:34:01 (permalink)
    if someone asks you to play a song, do you remember in which key to play it and sing it?

Yes.

Dave King
    www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
    StudioCat PC
    RAM 8 GB
    M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

NoKey
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 974
    Re:Memorize Lyrics? 2010/07/19 17:04:51 (permalink)
    Thanks Philip and DaveKing for your replies.

I think my problem with that is trying to learn late in life. That means when I learn or figure out a song, I try to find a suitable key for the voice. In doing that, I try several keys..Then days later I forget which key that was!

So lately I have been writing the key down, along with the lyrics in the text files that I do keep on such songs.

Songs I've produced with Sonar LE: http://www.soundclick.com...ult.cfm?bandID=1086857
    Dave King
    Re:Memorize Lyrics? 2010/07/19 17:14:04 (permalink)
    So lately I have been writing the key down, along with the lyrics in the text files that I do keep on such songs.

Sure, I do the same thing - particularly if it's a song I have written myself and determined that I like the chord voicings for example using a capo on the 2nd fret and and playing in G (if you know what I mean)>  I usually determine this after experimenting with different keys and figuring out which is best for my voice and playing preferences.

Dave King
    www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
    StudioCat PC
    RAM 8 GB
    M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1