Backup software: Macrium, AOMEI...?

Author
Susan G
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12016
2016/02/04 03:38:56 (permalink)

Backup software: Macrium, AOMEI...?

Hi-

I had to replace my (dual-boot system) hard drive recently and ultimately it went much more smoothly than I'd expected. I had Macrium Reflect (free version) images of each partition and they restored perfectly. Yay!

I've used Acronis True Image for years, but the 2016 version & I don't get along, so I'm looking to make a change. [I also have ATI 2013, but supposedly that's not compatible with Win 10. I actually have it running without issues on one Win 10 boot, but the other throws messages about incompatibility, so I'll investigate further.]

I like Macrium Reflect, but I need to be able to backup and restore files & folders, which the free version doesn't do. I installed AOMEI Backupper and it's fine for what it does (and free!). One thing I don't like about it is that if you move the backup to another location it won't recognize it. You have to edit the backup properties first and it will copy the file. Not a big deal, I guess, but sometimes not so easy.

Just wondering if anyone has had experiences good or bad and can compare Macrium Reflect (the paid version) vs. AOMEI or suggest something else.

Thanks!

-Susan

2.30 gigahertz Intel Core i7-3610QM; 16 GB RAM
Windows 10 x64; NI Komplete Audio 6.
SONAR Platinum (Lexington) x64

16 Replies Related Threads

mettelus
    Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5321
    Re: Backup software: Macrium, AOMEI...? 2016/02/04 03:53:12 (permalink)
    A full image will restore all "static" files, which ends up being the lion's share of "size." For data files (the dynamic stuff you want to pick and choose from), I use Windows' xcopy and robocopy for those as they are quick and can be set to "only newer." These I do not compress and simply copy to another drive where Windows Explorer can be used on them. I made a long-winded post a couple of years ago how I set this up if interested (on cell here so can Google my name and xcopy).

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
    fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re: Backup software: Macrium, AOMEI...? 2016/02/04 09:36:25 (permalink)
    I have paid version of Macrium.  I can't compare to AOMEI, but I had Acronis True Image before and Acronis failed me, twice trying to restore, and it didn't get a 3rd chance.  I did try AOMEI for cloning and it didn't work (however Macrium and the clone program that came with a Samsung SSD did not work either).

I create WinPE bootable "rescue" discs.  With Acronis it was a mostly manual operation (and a hassle). With Macrium, they have a utility that does everything.

We all like "free" programs.  But if no one ever supports the provider by buying the full versions, the free ones will eventually go away. 

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    Susan G
    Re: Backup software: Macrium, AOMEI...? 2016/02/04 23:51:10 (permalink)
    mettelus
    A full image will restore all "static" files, which ends up being the lion's share of "size." For data files (the dynamic stuff you want to pick and choose from), I use Windows' xcopy and robocopy for those as they are quick and can be set to "only newer." These I do not compress and simply copy to another drive where Windows Explorer can be used on them. I made a long-winded post a couple of years ago how I set this up if interested (on cell here so can Google my name and xcopy).

Hi Michael-

I found your post here: http://forum.cakewalk.com/m/tm.aspx?m=2975853&p=2 and will check it out as an option next chance.

Thanks!

-Susan

Susan G
    Re: Backup software: Macrium, AOMEI...? 2016/02/05 00:03:19 (permalink)
    fireberd
    I have paid version of Macrium.  I can't compare to AOMEI, but I had Acronis True Image before and Acronis failed me, twice trying to restore, and it didn't get a 3rd chance.  I did try AOMEI for cloning and it didn't work (however Macrium and the clone program that came with a Samsung SSD did not work either).

I create WinPE bootable "rescue" discs.  With Acronis it was a mostly manual operation (and a hassle). With Macrium, they have a utility that does everything.

We all like "free" programs.  But if no one ever supports the provider by buying the full versions, the free ones will eventually go away. 

Hi Jack-

I certainly have no objection to paying for a backup program as I did for Acronis, but I don't want to pay for the ATI upgrade, since I really don't like the direction it's going in nor the new UI. I upgraded because I liked the cloud option, but that didn't work well for me, so I got a refund.

I didn't have a problem creating rescue media with either ATI or Macrium (or AOMEI, for that matter).

I'm using the Macrium trial now and if all goes well in the next 30 days, I'll probably purchase it after I look at Michaels solution.

Thanks!

-Susan

mettelus
    Re: Backup software: Macrium, AOMEI...? 2016/02/05 01:39:32 (permalink)
    Hi Susan. My apologies for not digging that up for you earlier. For some reason, Google wants to return the mobile link to that post, but this is the link to it specifically. I am not sure why Google does the mobile link at times. My phone seems to have a conniption fit any time I try to copy/paste a link on it.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
    fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re: Backup software: Macrium, AOMEI...? 2016/02/05 06:19:42 (permalink)
    My comment about "paying for software" was really a general statement and not specifically to you.  

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    JonD
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3617
    Re: Backup software: Macrium, AOMEI...? 2016/02/05 11:08:05 (permalink)
    Susan, I own the full version of EaseUS Todo Backup, and use it for scheduled backups of folders (and the occasional image):

http://www.easeus.com/backup-software/tb-home.html

At first I was a tad skeptical because it's cheaper than the competition, but I have to say it's worked for me so far without any surprises.  Mind you, I'm still on Win 8.1. (It does claim to be Win 10 compatible). 

Give the demo a spin.  Good luck!

SonarPlat/CWbBL, Win 10 Pro, i7 2600K, Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, 16GB DDR3, Radeon HD5450, TC Electronic Impact Twin, Kawai MP11 Piano, Event ALP Monitors, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Too Many Plugins, My lucky hat.
    BobF
    • Total Posts : 8124
    Re: Backup software: Macrium, AOMEI...? 2016/02/05 11:30:49 (permalink)
    I'm still on 8.1 (and will be as long as possible)

I also use Macrium Reflect free version for images.  I use FFS (also free) for file and folder level backups.  One really cool feature of FFS is that once you setup something via the GUI, you can save it as a batch file that can be scheduled.  The combination works great.

I have no problem using "free" software as a home user - the type of user the vendor targets with their free versions.

Bob  --
    Angels are crying because truth has died ...
    Illegitimi non carborundum
    --
    Studio One Pro / i7-6700@3.80GHZ, 32GB Win 10 Pro x64
    Roland FA06, LX61+, Fishman Tripleplay, FaderPort, US-16x08 + ARC2.5/Event PS8s 
    Waves Gold/IKM Max/Nomad Factory IS3/K11U

...wicked
    Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7360
    Re: Backup software: Macrium, AOMEI...? 2016/02/05 12:41:03 (permalink)
    JonD
    Susan, I own the full version of EaseUS Todo Backup, and use it for scheduled backups of folders (and the occasional image):

http://www.easeus.com/backup-software/tb-home.html

+1. I switched to this from Acronis, and I do image backups of my C drive and file backups of my two data drives. No problems so far and the free version does both of these kinds of backups.

===========
    The Fog People
    ===========

Intel i7-4790 
    16GB RAM
    ASUS Z97 
    Roland OctaCapture
    Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
    billions VSTs, some of which work    
    Susan G
    Re: Backup software: Macrium, AOMEI...? 2016/02/05 18:53:08 (permalink)
    mettelus
    Hi Susan. My apologies for not digging that up for you earlier. For some reason, Google wants to return the mobile link to that post, but this is the link to it specifically. I am not sure why Google does the mobile link at times. My phone seems to have a conniption fit any time I try to copy/paste a link on it.

Hi Michael-

No need to apologize at all! I didn't have a problem doing a quick search and now I remember xcopy from when I used it years ago along with .bat files ;)! Thanks for the in-forum link.

-Susan

Susan G
    Re: Backup software: Macrium, AOMEI...? 2016/02/05 18:55:16 (permalink)
    fireberd
    My comment about "paying for software" was really a general statement and not specifically to you.  

Hi Jack-

I understand and I didn't take it personally. I was just commenting on your comment ;)!

Thanks-

-Susan

Susan G
    Re: Backup software: Macrium, AOMEI...? 2016/02/05 18:57:51 (permalink)
    Hi Jon & ...wicked-

I downloaded EaseUS and my first impressions are very good.

Thanks for the suggestion-

-Susan

Susan G
    Re: Backup software: Macrium, AOMEI...? 2016/02/05 18:59:48 (permalink)
    BobF
    I'm still on 8.1 (and will be as long as possible)

I also use Macrium Reflect free version for images.  I use FFS (also free) for file and folder level backups.  One really cool feature of FFS is that once you setup something via the GUI, you can save it as a batch file that can be scheduled.  The combination works great.

I have no problem using "free" software as a home user - the type of user the vendor targets with their free versions.

Hi Bob-

I heard about FFS a while ago but never looked into it, so thanks for that nudge.

-Susan

Susan G
    Re: Backup software: Macrium, AOMEI...? 2016/02/05 19:07:47 (permalink)
    I really hope to settle on one backup solution, since as it stands I have rescue media for several, each with their own proprietary formats. I think I'm too much of a packrat when it comes to keeping backups (among other things!)

Right now it's between EaseUS & Macrium Reflect. I have lots of Acronis .tib files, but I really don't like the 2016 version and I can restore those with previous versions if I need to. One reason I upgraded ATI was I thought I might use the cloud backup feature, but apparently I can use EaseUS for that if I want to.

Thanks again, all!

-Susan

slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    Re: Backup software: Macrium, AOMEI...? 2016/02/05 19:37:13 (permalink)
    Susan G
    I really hope to settle on one backup solution, since as it stands I have rescue media for several, each with their own proprietary formats.

It is probably a mistake to use the same program to backup files that you use to image a drive. The best backup is to just make a copy of the file in native format. For most things the compression is unnecessary with the cost of hard drive storage these days. As you point out, being locked into a proprietary compression format is a potential problem, and will also often explain why you cannot access backups directly from a new location. If you must compress, there are a lot of backup solutions that will use zip or 7z  (7-zip) for larger files. Zip offers some limited repair/extraction options. But remember that the larger the compressed file, the greater the danger of corruption. 

Richcopy https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/2009.04.utilityspotlight.aspx is a very fast option for copying with a more intuitive front end than Robocopy. I assume that Cobian Backup still works in Win 10, and that will automate backups with a choice of compress or not. 

mettelus
    Re: Backup software: Macrium, AOMEI...? 2016/02/05 19:58:42 (permalink)
    +1, if you hunt and peck "data" files, I think you will find they are not massive (save for audio/video files potentially). The most common locations to "just copy" are C:\Program Data, C:\Users, and the Cakewalk directories with dynamic content (projects, etc.).

Robocopy does have a longstanding bug in that it makes the target directory "hidden" upon completion which is truly a PITA to undo, but robocopy is required for a handful of situations which xcopy cannot handle (and the GUI is terrible). I prefer xcopy by far when it will "do the trick."

Another reason for the image/data file separation is the situation of "I want to do a fresh OS build but pull back in all of my data files afterwards." In this scenario, it is easiest to backup the data files "one last time," wipe the C: drive completely, and copy the data files back.

Interesting caveat if you use the desktop as a temporary repository and then move files on occasion to another "final home," is that a duplicate cleaner on the data archive may also be useful, but one which allows for protecting the "final home" path while selecting all other duplicates. This really depends on your file management schema, and unless you save audio/video or installation files, may or may not be applicable to you.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1