Helpful ReplyBarre chords help...yes, feel free to laugh at me

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
dubdisciple
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5849
2014/01/26 16:35:01 (permalink)

Barre chords help...yes, feel free to laugh at me

To make a long story short, I have picked up the guitar after years of letting them collect dust.  I never was a guitar player. I bought a couple 8-9 years ago, taught myself to play a little and then I had a tragedy strike that made me not want to touch a guitar.  Recently i decided to start again and remembered one of the things I was struggling with..barre chords.  How the f#$@% do you play them with any consistency? Does anyone know any tricks or tips for such things? 
Kalle Rantaaho
Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7005
Re: Barre chords help...yes, feel free to laugh at me 2014/01/26 17:03:54 (permalink)
I've always admired the ones who can use their thumb as a "workaround" (pressing the low E string with their thumb). :o) I've never learned to do it.

I think in many cases it's up to the instrument and strings. Strings too high or too thick can make barre-chords really, really difficult.

But otherwise, I think there are no tricks, you just learn it or you don't. Luckily I have slim and straight fingers and barre is no problem for me. Of course, it took many years to make them come effortlessly.

I'm sure they are hard if your fingers are short, thick, curved or have big joints.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
Keithr41
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 50
Re: Barre chords help...yes, feel free to laugh at me 2014/01/26 17:13:26 (permalink)
Practice practice practice!  You need to build your hand strength up.  The only really good way to do it is to play as much as you possible can!!

Learn the CAGED system and you won't need to use bar chords as much too.

Keith

X3 Producer, MAudio Fastrack Ultra 8R
gustabo
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2591
Re: Barre chords help...yes, feel free to laugh at me 2014/01/26 17:15:04 (permalink)
The kind of neck on the guitar makes a huge difference. Different manufacturers and models have different radii/radiuses.

Cakewalk by Bandlab - Win10 Pro x64 - StudioCat Platinum Studio DAW - 32 GB Ram - MOTU UltraLite-mk3
M-Audio Keystation 88ES - Akai MPD26 (hot-rodded) - Alesis DM10 - a few guitars, a few amps
Novation Launch Control - Korg nanoKONTROL2 - PreSonus FaderPort - DAW Remote HD on iPad
Adam A7X - Behritone C50A
PreSonus Monitor Station v2 (controlling the mons)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/sonarusergroup/

timidi
Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5449
Re: Barre chords help...yes, feel free to laugh at me 2014/01/26 17:15:39 (permalink)
LOL. I think it's simply a matter of strengthening the muscles and co-ordination (and callouses).
They're really not that hard to play once you've practiced and played them 374,668,472,848,814,000 times or so. :)

A capo on the first fret may help a little as it generally lowers the strings.

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

dubdisciple
Re: Barre chords help...yes, feel free to laugh at me 2014/01/26 17:18:15 (permalink)
I kind of figured there were no real short cuts per say, but you never know.  It was like night and day when i learned I was pressing too hard on the strings
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: Barre chords help...yes, feel free to laugh at me 2014/01/26 17:40:08 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby dubdisciple 2014/01/26 17:49:43
A couple tricks are simple...

First, to get the "sound" start with just 2 fingers across 3 strings and build up from there. The root, 5th, and octave are used a LOT in music, and is a great place to start (and add the higher strings as you gain proficiency).

Second... get the pattern of the Bm chord learned well... When the root is on the low E, it is a major chord, when the root is on the A string, is it a minor chord. That finger pattern is your best friend for barre chords (regardless of root).

Major chords rooted on the E string are the Bm "pattern"... pull off the middle finger and is the minor chord.
   Minor chords rooted on the A string are the Bm pattern moved around, and can "cheat" to play the major chord by using 2 fingers on the middle 4 strings.

As noted in previous posts, practice is the key element, especially the finger pattern of Bm... many barre chords used in music are not "full" chords but often take advantage of only the lower 3 or 4 strings. For the sake of simplicity and learning, I would recommend starting there, and build up as you go.

Edit: Oh, and when learning... is easiest on the fingers on an electric guitar (by far); and if on an acoustic, closer to the nut (especially if the neck has any type of bow to it!)
post edited by mettelus - 2014/01/26 17:47:22

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
dubdisciple
Re: Barre chords help...yes, feel free to laugh at me 2014/01/26 17:52:34 (permalink)
Thanks to all so far, especially metelus.  I have an acoustic and electric.  I have been trying this mostly with acoustic but I think i will take your advice and practice on electric more for this sort of thing until I get used to it.
mettelus
Re: Barre chords help...yes, feel free to laugh at me 2014/01/26 18:00:09 (permalink)
Most folks actually stop playing because of the pain to build up the callouses in the finger tips. Acoustic guitars are strung a lot tighter, and to fret them can be painful (and extremely challenging for your index finger in a barre chord).

Learning on the electric is highly recommended... you can focus on your technique, build callouses and finger strength, and not worry about anyone hearing you if you do not plug it in (that is actually a selling point for some by itself! )

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
Danny Danzi
  • Total Posts : 5810
Re: Barre chords help...yes, feel free to laugh at me 2014/01/26 18:37:03 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby dubdisciple 2014/01/26 18:56:25
dubdisciple
To make a long story short, I have picked up the guitar after years of letting them collect dust.  I never was a guitar player. I bought a couple 8-9 years ago, taught myself to play a little and then I had a tragedy strike that made me not want to touch a guitar.  Recently i decided to start again and remembered one of the things I was struggling with..barre chords.  How the f#$@% do you play them with any consistency? Does anyone know any tricks or tips for such things? 

Hey dub, how about I make YOU laugh?

I've got a pretty good musical track record....3/4 of which I never share with the forum unless I get asked specific questions or feel the need to explain something from experience.

That said, I suffer from the same thing you do. As a matter of fact, I suffered from barre chords so bad, when I was 12 years old, I sort of came up with my own way of tuning and to this day, it's how I play because I can barely play in standard tuning. So if you've ever heard me play, that's all done in a goofy tuning that would make you and any other guitarist laugh their butts off. :) I never wanted to be a virtuoso guitarist....I never wanted to learn theory....I never even thought I'd be interested in playing lead guitar and I NEVER though I'd have to learn crazy chords.

Well, I'm still not a virtuoso and don't want to learn theory, but I have become a decent lead guitarist with a nice arsenal of crazy sounding chords due to the goofy tuning I use. So some of the things I never though would happen, sort of happened....which has been a nightmare and a challenge.

I have always been a hard worker my entire life always trying my best to be as good as I could be with something. In that way of thinking, my motto has become "work smarter, not harder". My jacked up tuning is useless playing covers (unless they are rock chords etc) but it allows me to play barre chords with one finger. From there, because I have been at this so long, with my 3 remaining fingers, I can do things players tuned in standard cannot while playing a barre chord. My 3 remaining fingers can dance inside a barre chord voicing and get pretty technical while staying in the chord.

I don't know about you, but all I ever wanted to do was play what I heard in my head. I never expected to be where I am to be honest....I just wanted to be able to make....hmm...."noise that made sense" to me...and that's exactly what I do.

The object for me was to tune to an already made chord of my choice. From there, just moving that one finger gives you another chord voicing. If you tuned in barre chords you could play some cool things as well as barre chords with one finger. You could even do two finger power chords. All this stuff appears in 95% of the rock tunes of all time. You may have problems with heavy chord voicings like say "Diary of a Madman" by Ozzy or "Stairway" or something that has lots of open droned notes and crazy "conventional" chords. But if you want to make noise/music and don't feel like learning tons of theory or practicing barre chord forms until you can move your hands without your fingers losing position, pick a chord sound you like and tune your guitar to that chord and see how you fair. At the end of the day, if you're playing and getting the ideas out of your head, you're right where you want to be.

I've been doing this one finger barre chord thing for many years. I've won many guitar competitions and have seen thousands of people shaking their heads wondering what the hell I was playing. I've had guys come up to me and say "dude, I know that song and it doesn't look like that...are you faking it with a CD playing in the back somewhere?" and I've had teachers and colleagues tell me "it matters not how you tune, as long as you play the right notes."

So be creative brother...tune to something to where it makes things easier on you. It will be a nightmare for lead playing if you decide to go that route (I can play lead like a lunatic in standard tuning...the positions are soooo much easier than in my goofy tuning) but for chords, you'll be making music in no time.

I once had a lesson plan that I was doing years ago. I would bet any new student that I'd have him playing 5 songs in 30 minutes. I think it's too easy to get so wrapped up in theory and mechanics that it can push someone away from wanting to play. There are times when theory is essential, other times people just want to make noise and write what they hear in their heads. I started that way...then decided to pick up a little theory and just built on things from there. But give it a try....you may just enjoy things that way. Pick a chord and tune the guitar from low to high to that chord. Do it in E or low D. It's a blast...and the chords you come up with...will be hard for anyone else to cop in standard tuning unless they know how you are tuned. That's another cool thing about my tuning....only a handful of people know what the actual tuning is on each string. So when others see it, they are like a dog tilting his head sideways totally cornfused. LOL! :) Good luck man!

-Danny
post edited by Danny Danzi - 2014/01/26 18:43:41

My Site
Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
dubdisciple
Re: Barre chords help...yes, feel free to laugh at me 2014/01/26 18:59:12 (permalink)
Awesome advice Danny.  For now, i have been "cheating" by simply avoiding the chords I can't play, but you may be on to something by suggesting alternate tunings.  I think the key thing I will take away from your advice is the main thing is to find a way to get what is in my head out and not focus so much on technique.  Thank you all.
sharke
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: Barre chords help...yes, feel free to laugh at me 2014/01/26 20:04:47 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby dubdisciple 2014/01/26 20:17:17
Some people find barre chords a lot easier than others. I think a lot of it has to do with finger type. I have long bony fingers and I found barre chords difficult at first, probably because the bones protrude at the joints and so the flesh in between them curves inward a little. So the strings which are between the joints have less pressure on them. I have to press really hard to get all the strings. 

That said, these days I have no trouble playing them, even an F barre chord in the first position on a steel string acoustic with 0.13 gauge strings and a high action. Callouses help a lot. I have a pretty thick callous which runs right along the side of my index finger. 

The exact position of your hand is also very important. There are multiple variables at play here. There's the rotation of your index finger (you'll probably get better results if you rotate it so that you're pressing with the side of the finger and not the bottom), the position of your thumb (directly under the first finger gives you more strength), the position of your index finger across the fretboard (I make sure the high E string is right under the middle joint so that it rings out clearly), and the position of the elbow (bringing it closer to your torso will give you more fretting strength). 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
Beepster
  • Total Posts : 18001
Re: Barre chords help...yes, feel free to laugh at me 2014/01/28 15:44:36 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby dubdisciple 2014/01/28 17:02:52
It's all about leverage, dub. You want to make sure your thumb is in the right place on the back of the neck and pointing in the right direction. This can change from one chord formation to another and kind of depends on the size and strength of your hands. I, like sharke, have really long bony fingers so barre chords were a real biznatch for me and I actually used my thumb to wrap around the neck to fret the root of six string barre chords. As "cool" as that may look and in song cases is a really useful technique for producing super crisp sound chords while moving around quickly it is limited and sucks for changing chord QUALITIES in one position or easily using the barre as the foundation for little solos or variations within the chord as you strum it.

Now after doing EXTENSIVE scale and chord practicing and doing a ton of strength building playing barre chords the correct way is pretty easy for me but it took a lot of work and I definitely learned to pay attention to what my thumb was doing.

You want to make sure you are applying pressure with your thumb in the best spot to squeeze down with your fingers on the other side. For the more straight up major and minor chords starting on the sixth and fifth strings this is usually right in the middle of the back of the neck (slightly closer to the top for six string chords because you need extra pressure closer to the top because that's where the "extra" fingers are fretting notes on top of the barre and a little lower for fifth string bars because those extra fingers are a little lower... basically the barre is the easy part and extra pressure is needed for the other fingers). I, because I have long hands push into these chords from the back at the knuckle or sometimes just above or below depending on what's going on. Usually for those basic chords my thumb will point upwards as that gives me the best leverage.

When things start going weird then the thumb may point more toward the nut on an angle and I'll use the pad of the thumb. Other times the thumb will be wrapping around the neck (usually if I am doing something on the bottom strings).

So basically just really pay attention to your thumb and try to apply equal and opposite pressure where needed.

Also practice the various modal patterns starting at say the fifth fret or whatever all the way up to the high E, again paying attention to your thumb. You will see this need for equal pressure in the right spot at the right time as you do that. Also doing I III V arpeggios of the 6 string minor barre chord up to the second octave on the high E will really help build up some strength for barre chords (any of them... it's just a good way to build up your squeezing power).

So... yeah. Leverage, thumb, strength building. Good luck.
dwardzala
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1470
Re: Barre chords help...yes, feel free to laugh at me 2014/01/28 16:18:29 (permalink)
Barre chords were one of the things I struggled with as well for the longest time.  I tried to learn on my acoustic and then I bought a cheap electric to learn them on.  I still didn't get them for like a year and a half.  Then all of a sudden I did.  I don't know if I eventually figured out the exact technique for my fingers/hand size/shape/etc. or just developed enough strength to make it happen, but it did eventually happen.

Just keep at it, even if it sounds like carp, you will get there eventually (and probably quicker than me).

Dave
Main Studio- Core i5 @2.67GHz, 16Gb Ram, (2) 500Gb HDs, (1) 360 Gb HD
MotU Ultralite AVB, Axiom 49 Midi Controller, Akai MPD18 Midi Controller
Win10 x64 Home
Sonar 2017.06 Platinum (and X3e, X2c, X1d)

Mobile Studio - Sager NP8677 (i7-6700HQ @2.67MHz, 16G Ram, 250G SSD, 1T HD)
M-Box Mini v. 2
Win 10 x64 Home
Sonar 2016.10 Platinum

Check out my original music:
https://soundcloud.com/d-wardzala/sets/d-wardzala-original-music

Jay Tee 4303
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 246
Re: Barre chords help...yes, feel free to laugh at me 2014/01/28 16:41:42 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby dubdisciple 2014/01/28 17:03:23
Ima cut back against the grain here...

Thanksgiving, fake heart attack, hospitalized kid, un-fake heart attack, Christmas, New Years, blizzard, flu...my world was trying to crash and burn...

Dive right into the middle of the biggest pile. Once you knock down the core, the little details left on the fringes, take care of themselves.

Your main obstacles early on are finger strength, lack of callouses, dexterity, reach and stretch, and precision. To make this work, you have to Dare to Suck. You will suck way worse on the heavy action acoustic than you will on the light string low action electric, and as long as you don't kill your desire, the more youn suck, the better.

Put away the soft stringed, low action, easy to play electric and just play on the acoustic. Not slow easy acoustic music, but electric guitar music, barre chords and lightning leads.

Mix it with recorded music, best off if you do it in Sonar, kill yet another bird with one stone, when you're done, you'll have backing tracks, practice files you can flip parts on and off, and arrangements that allow you to communicate and collaborate with other musicians, but you can just play MP3s, Midis, CDs, concert videos, etc, too, just set levels so you can hear you and the part you are trying to learn.

Make it music you can't hear enough of...your favorites, and you'll get a feel pretty quick what you have a shot at, for now, and what's beyond your reach. Let the passion drive your achey, burning fingers just a little bit harder than you might covering wedding or elevator music.

Open a pipe to Youtube, and plug "Song/Band Name, guitar lesson" into the search box for the oddball fingerings and chords, and have a full time pad of paper and pen near your rig.

Build a playlist of 5 or 10 songs you like that aren't too far out of reach. If you're on a PC, make a playlist(s) on Windows Media Player and put a two digit number in the title, like Barre Chords 01.  Picking 01. Lead 01. Right click on the Media Player, scroll down to Enhancements, and get comfy with the Graphic Equalizer  and Play Speed Settings. You will use the EQ to minimize the part you are learning when you have it down well enough that the original is in your way, and you'll use Playback Speed to get to that point quicker.

You need the structure of a solid rhythm track, otherwise, the tempo of your playing will be at the mercy of your finger limitations. Start by slowing things down till you have time for a sip of coffee and a smoke between chord changes...you want the moves in brain memory to start out with.

Once you remember the fingerings, speed things up a little at a time, till you get to about 125% of normal speed. You WILL be screwing it all up and sound terrible! Headphones lessen inhibition. Dare to Suck!

At some point, you're going to EQ the original guitar out of the recorded sound, and take off the headphones, and at this point it's all on you. You have to rock the song by yourself, NOT BLEND IN WITH THE ORIGINAL GUITARIST. You have to show him and the world how IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN DONE.

But not today. Today you are the grasshopper, learning respectfully at the feet of the Masters.

Now slow it down again and work up thru the speed settings again, but this time, concentrate on making every string ring, AND sound as good as possible. Before you move on, back the speed down to 100% normal and lock THAT timing in for your last take.

Take a short break, shake out your hand, and move on to the next song.

Your fingers will ache, as will your forearm. Work THRU this. Ache is good! You are straining muscles and tendons, and they will fight back by beefing up, which is exactly what you need.

At some point, your fingertips will begin to burn. This is the signal to wind up the practice session. A little bit of friction burn is good, but if you tear the skin, or set conditions for it to split, you will be out for days or weeks. If your tips are a little bruised the next day, practice a little to see if it goes away, but don't push too hard. Go set up another element in your studio or practice rig, listen to some great guitar, whet the appetite for tmorrow.

You are deliberately manipulating yourself, both your mind and your body, and as long as you're honest with yourself, manipulation achieves objectives.

After practice, drink a glass of milk, eat a vitamin, and rob the old lady for a bit of skin moisturizer for your fingertips. While the moisturizer will temporarily inhibit callous formation, in the long run it will allow you to practice daily without long gaps due to tip damage.

Do this for a week, on the acoustic guitar, and then try it on electric. You will amaze yourself and your friends with the progress.

Very soon, you will need to have a drum machine and recorder handy when you practice. Ideas will come to you and you will want them logged so you can explore them later, but you don't want to inhibit practice time setting up to log new ideas. A smart phone can serve double duty, and if you have wireless internet, old smart phones are gold. So is a Bluetooth speaker system.  You want to practice in a comfortable setting, save the flying Vanhalen leaps for after the changes and fingerings are locked in muscle memory.

I've been told that muscle memory requires 1200 to 3000 iterations of a movement pattern, but never actually counted myself.

Happy shredding!
post edited by Jay Tee 4303 - 2014/01/28 17:03:02

IBM PC/XT
1 MB RAM
8087 Math Co-Processor
5 Megabyte Seagate Hard Drive
Twelvetone Cakewalk Version 2.0
dubdisciple
Re: Barre chords help...yes, feel free to laugh at me 2014/01/28 17:06:52 (permalink)
wow...dare to suck!!  Thank you all.  I have decide dto start from scratch on my guitar journey so I am taking the guitar course on coursera to kickstart myself.  I remember more than I thought but trying to filter much of it out because I also remember some bad habits too.  Anyway, truly appreciate the advice.  It is good to get a lot of different perspectives. 
Jay Tee 4303
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 246
Re: Barre chords help...yes, feel free to laugh at me 2014/01/28 17:15:50 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby dubdisciple 2014/01/28 17:17:35
One more thing.

See if one or two strings are always the same ones choking off. If so take a look at where those strings are landing on the inside of your index finger.

Good chance they are landing right at a finger joint, where you don't have quite as much meat to press down with.

Adjust this placement, and remember, you don't have to fret the strings that your other three tips are holding down further up the neck.

IBM PC/XT
1 MB RAM
8087 Math Co-Processor
5 Megabyte Seagate Hard Drive
Twelvetone Cakewalk Version 2.0
dubdisciple
Re: Barre chords help...yes, feel free to laugh at me 2014/01/28 17:19:19 (permalink)
Hmmm  i will have to look at that.  maybe even set up video camera on my hands so that I can see it from an actual position I am playing.
Beepster
  • Total Posts : 18001
Re: Barre chords help...yes, feel free to laugh at me 2014/01/28 17:34:51 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby dubdisciple 2014/01/28 17:44:23
I agree it's best to do this kind of thing on an acoustic guitar to learn. Just go slow and steady. Always warm up and stretch. If you start feeling too much pain or if you feel pain/burning in your arms, especially near the elbow joint stop for the day and put an ice pack on the area and/or take an advil.

Tendonitis is a bugger. Trust me.
mettelus
Re: Barre chords help...yes, feel free to laugh at me 2014/01/28 17:40:01 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby dubdisciple 2014/01/28 17:41:37
Reminded me of a couple quick technique points as you learn:

1) Try to focus on the "minimum force" needed to get the job done, this actually has to be a focus for some, since they take to barre chords like wrestling a gorilla. Not only can too much pressure cause undo wear and tear on your hand, but can also detune the chord you are playing. Hand placement is key, so dabble with positions that feel most comfortable to you.
   2) Another is to actually ring each individual note of chords to check your fingering position with respect to the fret. Each individual note should ring as if you are simply fretting that one string an playing. I choke my index finger all the way up to "damn near" on top of the fret for the barre.

Finger strength will come with practice, but technique should always get primary focus. It can be difficult to unlearn bad technique if it gets ingrained.
post edited by mettelus - 2014/01/28 17:44:17

dubdisciple
Re: Barre chords help...yes, feel free to laugh at me 2014/01/28 17:45:11 (permalink)
a friend is attempting to take the journey with me and has been tempted more than once to use poor form to kind of cheat for certain chords but I keep reminding her (and myself) that its probably best to tough out the suck until our hands get used to the positions.  I have gone thought such things with other instruments.  Trumpet was a pain to get started.
drewfx1
Max Output Level: -9.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6585
Re: Barre chords help...yes, feel free to laugh at me 2014/01/28 22:26:32 (permalink)
Get an acoustic 12 string and play that for a while.

Then when you switch back to the 6 strings, it will seem easy. 

In order, then, to discover the limit of deepest tones, it is necessary not only to produce very violent agitations in the air but to give these the form of simple pendular vibrations. - Hermann von Helmholtz, predicting the role of the electric bassist in 1877.
dubdisciple
Re: Barre chords help...yes, feel free to laugh at me 2014/01/29 00:32:17 (permalink)
Lol..if I go that route I could get a six string bass and use guitar tuning
Guitarhacker
  • Total Posts : 24398
Re: Barre chords help...yes, feel free to laugh at me 2014/01/29 09:26:26 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby dubdisciple 2014/01/29 10:22:47
Some great advice above.

I remember when I first started to tackle the barres.  I had a bunch of dead sounding strings mostly.   I found that by reinforcing the 1st finger with the 2nd, the barre was easier to do. I also found that I could rotate the finger slightly so that instead of the fleshy side down, the side of the finger was down and it seemed to make that barre easier to get.

Of course, the more you play and work on these chords the easier they become as your body starts to do what it's supposed to do. Muscle strength and muscle memory play a huge part in getting that barre right without thinking about it. That takes time and lots of practice.

Not dealing specifically with barres, but any chord on the neck..... I remember the first time I realized that to be a proficient player I needed to be able to instantly jump to a chord with out thinking and without hesitation. That was a fun time. Lots of missed chords and dead notes.... but with time, and practice and perseverance, it was accomplished.

Start by fretting across all 6 strings. The open tuning of the guitar is a chord. So learn to fret it successfully. Use 2 fingers if needed. Make each of the string ring cleanly.... pick slowly across and listen.   As you start into the barres with additional notes. you will realize that there are generally only about 3 strings that must be fully fretted. The others are not necessary to press all the way down since they are fretted by the "other" fingers.

Have fun..... build strength .... and play that thing.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
mettelus
Re: Barre chords help...yes, feel free to laugh at me 2014/01/29 10:29:39 (permalink)
Guitarhacker
Not dealing specifically with barres, but any chord on the neck..... I remember the first time I realized that to be a proficient player I needed to be able to instantly jump to a chord with out thinking and without hesitation. That was a fun time. Lots of missed chords and dead notes.... but with time, and practice and perseverance, it was accomplished.

I had the most amazing thing happen to me in college about a month into learning guitar chords that I would never have thought of, but so glad it happened. I am sitting there one night, practicing and watching my left hand like a hawk and *boom* the power goes out. In the four years I was there, this is the only time the power went out, and I can only attribute it to a weird "Act of God." I am sitting there wanting to see my hand, but it is now pitch black... and the power stayed off for over an hour, so I was forced to play by feel and by ear. Those 60 minutes of "random chance" catapulted my guitar playing where I never would have taken it on my own.

dwardzala
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1470
Re: Barre chords help...yes, feel free to laugh at me 2014/01/29 11:04:21 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby dubdisciple 2014/01/30 14:40:11
drewfx1
Get an acoustic 12 string and play that for a while.

Then when you switch back to the 6 strings, it will seem easy. 

And more in tune.
Jay Tee has some good advice overall, especially the part about playing along with songs you like.  I did this when I was learning 20 years ago, when there was no Sonar or internet for TABs.  I put an Eagles CD on and figured out the chords (I was learning open chords at the time).  I sucked and all I had was an acoustic and I lived in an apartment.  I didn't even play with a pick for the first 6 months because I didn't want to share my suckage with my neighbors.

The more you play, the quicker the callouses will form, but don't pull a Brian Adams and play till your fingers bleed - you'll be out of commission for a week if that happens.

Good luck and enjoy the journey.

Dave
Main Studio- Core i5 @2.67GHz, 16Gb Ram, (2) 500Gb HDs, (1) 360 Gb HD
MotU Ultralite AVB, Axiom 49 Midi Controller, Akai MPD18 Midi Controller
Win10 x64 Home
Sonar 2017.06 Platinum (and X3e, X2c, X1d)

Mobile Studio - Sager NP8677 (i7-6700HQ @2.67MHz, 16G Ram, 250G SSD, 1T HD)
M-Box Mini v. 2
Win 10 x64 Home
Sonar 2016.10 Platinum

Check out my original music:
https://soundcloud.com/d-wardzala/sets/d-wardzala-original-music

dubdisciple
Re: Barre chords help...yes, feel free to laugh at me 2014/01/30 14:42:01 (permalink)
Thanks again to everyone for all the great advice. Being a novice at something is so humbling but every bit of progress feels so rewarding.
smallstonefan
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2724
Re: Barre chords help...yes, feel free to laugh at me 2014/01/30 17:38:54 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby dubdisciple 2014/02/01 21:31:27
Dub, you've got such great advice that I have nothing more to offer except this: keep at it - it's hard but one of the most rewarding things you can accomplish to be able to play the guitar.

On a side note - I used to be a snob about tunings (Ah the Goo Goo dolls such because he plays easier patterns in alternate tunings). I'm older now and realize what an idiot I was. It's like people saying the Edge is a crappy guitar player because he relies on delay so much. None of that matters - all that matters is that you create something worth listening to - even if just for yourself. Hell, I had a drummer once that didn't want us to play a cover song tuned down half a step because he thought it was "cheating". We pointed out that this was not for the singer's benefit, but the fact the ORIGINAL was played tuned down half a step. He never grasped that, and was ticked off every time we played it because - in his eyes - we were cheat'n losers! :)
Rikkie
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1128
Re: Barre chords help...yes, feel free to laugh at me 2014/02/01 05:18:59 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby dubdisciple 2014/02/01 21:31:51
Hi Dub, just my two cents. When I teach people to play guitar, I start with holding the guitar. This doesn't mean an exact position, classical for instance, but holding the guitar in a way that is comftable and most important keeps the guitar secure in that position.  The neck should be in the playing position without using your left hand. If you balance your guitar on your right leg and hold the guitar with your right arm against the lower bout of the guitar and gently push the guitar against your body you've got a rock solid position. By pushing the guitar gently with your right arm and your body as a pivot point your almost pushing the guitar neck into your left hand fingers and you'll need almost no force to play, even barre chords. I usually play with the left hand thumb just lightly touching the back of the neck or even not touching if I want to play vibrato or bend a note.

Rik
sharke
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: Barre chords help...yes, feel free to laugh at me 2014/02/01 12:24:14 (permalink)
When I took up classical 15 years ago it really spoiled me in terms of playing position. That classical stance, with the guitar on the left thigh and the foot on a stool, really is the optimal in terms of stability and control, and it allows for a much higher level of dexterity. So much so that, after a year of it I found the "normal" way of holding the guitar to be very awkward and unstable and I couldn't play that way.

It got a little embarrassing at parties when someone would hand me a guitar to bang out some blues and I'd ask if they had a footstool. Not cool in the slightest. I reverted back to the "cool" way a year ago when I bought a Telecaster. I hadn't played an electric in 15 years and I was damned if I was going to look like a dork with it.

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1