Helpful ReplyBass players , let s talk bass amp sim here ...

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Kamikaze
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3013
Re: Bass players , let s talk bass amp sim here ... 2018/04/16 09:49:43 (permalink)
I don't think that hold true of recent Squier Basses. It seems to hold true of older ones abut quality control. Previous to 2013  they had Duncan (Seymour) Designed pickups for a few years. It seems that the feedback I've followed has been favorable about quality and be  able to be set up well for both the Duncan Designed and the current Fender designed Models. I'm not sure if the Affinity ever had these Pick Ups, so this is regards their VM (Vintage Modified) range. 

Soundwise
Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1419
Re: Bass players , let s talk bass amp sim here ... 2018/04/16 10:18:11 (permalink)
I agree with Kamikaze, current Squire line is great, especially for the money. Anyhow, the best way to buy musical gear is to try it first. I would suggest visiting a local music stores and play all basses within your budget. Trying higher priced instruments is also a good idea. And it's not seldom that cheaper instruments sound and perform better than pricey ones.

Anderton
We are all unique and have our own contributions to make to this planet.

SoundCloud
YouTube
BandLab
Zo
Max Output Level: -25 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5036
Re: Bass players , let s talk bass amp sim here ... 2018/04/16 10:24:12 (permalink)
Thks guyz , the thing is that i don t know nothing about basses , 5 cordes , 4 ... P , J ect lol ... so i saw that yamaha was labeled as the most versatyle entry level , basically if i m not yet decided on the type it could handle any direction , the sevond thing like lentionned is the built quality and yamaha has nothing but high praise in this area ....

For sale  (PM me) : transfert ilok included
Eventide Ultrachannel make offers
Softube Summit EQ
IK Neve 1081 , Neve precision Comp/Lim
EastWest Goshtwriter
Soundforge Pro 12

Jim Roseberry
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9871
Re: Bass players , let s talk bass amp sim here ... 2018/04/16 13:32:36 (permalink)
For the cost, the VM Squier and Music Man Sub basses are hard to beat.
The Music Man Subs have passive pickups with active preamp.

If you prefer the sound of DI bass, this is where a great pre-amp can make a HUGE difference.
Neve Portico-II makes DI electric bass sound awesome (little effort).

If you like a more "amp'd up" sound, and especially if you have UAD hardware, demo the Ampeg SVT plugin.
Just like the real amp, you plug in any "classic" bass (P, J, Rick, Stingray)... and it's instant "Rock" bass tone.
Smooth, thick, heavy, and with attitude...

Ampeg more recently released smaller watt tube heads.
One of those with a UA OX (for Cab/mic) would make a great silent bass recording solution.

Also, checkout Helix Native.
Not an inexpensive plugin, but loads of options (including loading bass Cab IRs).
The Mesa bass amp in Native sounds very good.
Not quite as colored as the Ampeg... but more attitude than a typical solid-state model.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
Zo
Re: Bass players , let s talk bass amp sim here ... 2018/04/16 19:31:07 (permalink)
Jim Roseberry
For the cost, the VM Squier and Music Man Sub basses are hard to beat.
The Music Man Subs have passive pickups with active preamp.

If you prefer the sound of DI bass, this is where a great pre-amp can make a HUGE difference.
Neve Portico-II makes DI electric bass sound awesome (little effort).

If you like a more "amp'd up" sound, and especially if you have UAD hardware, demo the Ampeg SVT plugin.
Just like the real amp, you plug in any "classic" bass (P, J, Rick, Stingray)... and it's instant "Rock" bass tone.
Smooth, thick, heavy, and with attitude...

Ampeg more recently released smaller watt tube heads.
One of those with a UA OX (for Cab/mic) would make a great silent bass recording solution.

Also, checkout Helix Native.
Not an inexpensive plugin, but loads of options (including loading bass Cab IRs).
The Mesa bass amp in Native sounds very good.
Not quite as colored as the Ampeg... but more attitude than a typical solid-state model.

Thks Jim i just bought ik ampeg and ampeg 2 just for that , have your compared those the ampeg from uad ? (Aka brainwork ) ?

The ik is also licenced ....

I liked also and grabbed the fender 2 bundle , i love those edgy sounds with character , while for a more clean and deep sound i would probably garb myself overlourd. Mark studio 2 ( or a real one , i saw i bass guitar with a bilt in marks studio amp onboard , tried it and it sounded dope ,..)

Softube Summit EQ
EastWest Goshtwriter
Soundforge Pro 12

michaelhanson
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3529
Re: Bass players , let s talk bass amp sim here ... 2018/04/16 20:05:22 (permalink)
I guess I need to try Mark Studio 2 one of these days....maybe try the demo.  I play a Markbass Big Bang live most of the time.  

I have both of the IKM Ampeg collections and I have mostly used those for SIM recording of bass tones.  They seem to work well for me.  

Mike

https://soundcloud.com/michaeljhanson
https://www.facebook.com/michaeljhanson.music
iTunes:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/scandalous-grace/id1180730765

Platinum Lifetime, Focusrite 8i6 & 2i4, Gibson LP, ES335, Fender Strat, 4003 Rickenbacker
BMI
Zo
Re: Bass players , let s talk bass amp sim here ... 2018/04/16 23:32:10 (permalink)
michaelhanson
I guess I need to try Mark Studio 2 one of these days....maybe try the demo.  I play a Markbass Big Bang live most of the time.  

I have both of the IKM Ampeg collections and I have mostly used those for SIM recording of bass tones.  They seem to work well for me.  

Thks Michael , i ve found ik multimedia stuff sounding more detail and th3 stuff to sound more like a record lol ...i don t really know what to think ... for markbass i miss e the sale but i ve found a great deal on ampeg 1and 2 for 65 $ so i decided to jump ...i compared it to th3 models and it s mainly onn the low lows that ik goes deeper , but the high saturation is less agressive /digital on th3 ...

If you check th3 as well give me your input , i m not at all familiar with real amp on regular basis ...

Softube Summit EQ
EastWest Goshtwriter
Soundforge Pro 12

Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 729
Re: Bass players , let s talk bass amp sim here ... 2018/04/22 08:56:48 (permalink)
I own heaps of guitar/bass amp sims, all the Amplitube 3/4 stuff, Overlouds Mark Bass, Kuassa's Cerberus, Audifieds GK2 Pro, all the Studio Devil stuff and all the other amp sims like ReCabinet/Thermionik, S-Gear2, TH2/3, Revalver3.5/4, Vandal, Mercurial, TSE Audio, GTR3 etc etc, and stuff I can't even remember. The only ones I use for bass are BIAS Amp Pro, BIAS Amp2 Pro or BIAS FX, usually it's just Bias FX Pro with the Bass expansion, for me nothing else comes close, to me it's just that much better I haven't  bothered with the others any more, same goes for guitar.

Intel i7 4790 @3.6Ghz - 32GB Ram - Windows 10 Pro 64bit - RME Fireface UFX+
Studio One 4 Professional, REAPER, CbB-(Couldnb't be Bothered)
More Plugs than Plumbers Warehouse.

Happy Studio One User Since August 2015

"It's the entertainment value, the comic relief . . . plus the Software and Deals Forum"

emeraldsoul
Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1858
Re: Bass players , let s talk bass amp sim here ... 2018/04/22 14:33:37 (permalink)
Great advice on this thread.

IMHO about the last thing you want to rely upon in getting a good recorded bass tone is a bass amp sim. I've tried all the usual suspects and I end up feeling like I'm just polishing turds all day long. Sims will make a poorly recorded bass all puffy and pillowy. Gross!

So you have to have a well recorded bass to start with, and if you are just now buying your first bass, then the adventure begins. First q, what tone do you seek, smooth jazz, or rawk? Motown?

This will certainly determine what type of bass you buy, and just as importantly, what type of strings you put on it.

Just as important, do you have someone near you that can set up a bass? Intonation (do the strings play a true octave) is incredibly important. 

And some basses are easier to play than others. String height and string separation width on the fretboard are factors.

Sorry if this is hitting on the obvious.

So if you are looking at an entry-level all-rounder, great but you will guaranteed want something else later. My first bass was a Yamaha, too! It took me a good while to learn how average it was. You might get an Ibanez for your first, but stay far away from the cheap Ibanez, the quality control is just not there, especially with the electronics.

Better yet for your first bass, get a made in Japan fender jazz bass. Hard to go wrong there. Look up p-j combinations, you might like those.

Next up, string choice. A lot of new basses come with roundwounds, which might not be great for a beginner. Noisy fingers. Switch out for flatwounds, or even better, tapewounds.

Next, do you play with soft, accurate fingers, or a pick? Don't  overlook a nice felt pic, the thick ones they make for ukulele players.

All of this is enough to get you into trouble. :)

Cheers,
-Tom 

A work in regress:
www.studiusinterruptus.com

Cornbread - video   audio
A Very, Very Troubled Soul - video   
Kilometers Davis - video   audio
Mayans (Face in the Crowd) - video  audio
The Sweet Slow Fade - video
Zo
Re: Bass players , let s talk bass amp sim here ... 2018/04/22 20:59:50 (permalink)
Thks again guyz , and nope , nothing obvious , all good infos around ...

I too found that bias amp pro was exellent , while it wasn t an "instant "bass preset thingy , i was able to ge me a. Crazy tone just by playing and having fun with all the tubes ect .... i ve found myself gravitating around that vinatge not to round bass tone , on the border of low ovtaves from a regular uk guitar tone ... it seat well on my track since mybkikkck have the low low and i usuallybcurve hem on the low mid ...

What i would love guyz , is if someone could record some bass line and guitar , with different technic for le to really have great material to test with , a tempo of 80 for exemple ...

The articulation and all the details like type of strings , play technic ect have a huge impact on amp appreciation, for sure !!

Softube Summit EQ
EastWest Goshtwriter
Soundforge Pro 12

batsbrew
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10037
Re: Bass players , let s talk bass amp sim here ... 2018/04/24 15:52:33 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Soundwise 2018/04/29 20:20:13
i found, for me,
the sansamp bass DI, good ole analog circuitry,
works better than any bass sim.

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1