Behind the scenes at Behringer

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Jessie Sammler
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2111
RE: Behind the scenes at Behringer 2008/02/03 10:59:33 (permalink)
I've got a Berhinger mixer that I don't use much because it sounds like poo. No complaints about the features, price, or reliability.
krizrox
Max Output Level: -35 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4046
RE: Behind the scenes at Behringer 2008/02/03 12:57:38 (permalink)
I'm not a fan of Behringer but it's not because they choose to produce low cost products. There is a need for low-cost entry-level gear that's good enough to get the job done and I support any company willing to produce it. I've actually used a few pieces of their gear over the years and found it to be decent enough quality that I wasn't embarrased to be seen using it. Touching it didn't give me warts or turn me into a newt.

What I detest is the blatant copycat thing. Aren't there laws against that sort of stuff? Or does Behringer pay some sort of license fee to Mackie for copying their designs?

I have a real distaste for companies that engage in that sort of behaviour. Maybe they're just trying to be cute or whatever. I think they should stop ripping off Mackie (and everyone else) and try something new for a change. I would have a lot more respect for them if they'd actually produce something innovative. I would never put Mackie in the same league with Behringer. Mackie mixers were a revelation when they first hit the scene. There was nothing like that when they first hit. All the tabletop/weekend warrior mixers I remember from way back when were big, bulky, noisy and unreliable. I lost count how many companies have ripped off Mackie user manuals and Mackie advertising campaigns.

Whatever. People will buy excrement if you package it right. There is a need for well-packaged excrement.

Larry Kriz
www.LnLRecording.com
www.myspace.com/lnlrecording

Sonar PE 8.5, Samplitude Pro 11, Sonic Core Scope Professional/XTC, A16 Ultra AD/DA, Intel DG965RY MOBO, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz processor, XFX GeForce 7300 GT PCIe video card, Barracuda 750 & 320GB SATA drives, 4GB DDR Ram, Plextor DVD/CD-R burner.
Milt
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 781
RE: Behind the scenes at Behringer 2008/02/03 14:39:21 (permalink)
Just recently purchased a pair of monitors from Behringer, love 'em, but the auto-power on one of them didn't work out of the box. I contacted them, and they sent me a very long explaination of what I would have to do to get it repaired under warranty. They expect me, the customer who had nothing to do with installing a faulty part, to do all the leg work in locating a Behringer retailer that will take the defective speaker, give me a new one, and ship the old one back to Germany. I bought the speakers from B&H in New York, I live in Tennessee. You would think that Behringer would have sent me the name and address of a local retailer that would take care of the problem. I don't think that anyone that I didn't buy thses speakers from is going to be very anxious to help me. Like the product, but NOT the service.
losguy
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5506
RE: Behind the scenes at Behringer 2008/02/03 16:27:44 (permalink)
That brings up another change in the marketplace that has practically become a foregone conclusion anymore... the XX-day, no-questions-asked return policy. Couple that with a Behringer purchase, and you're set in case of an out-of-the-box failure.

You just have to be sure to check the specifics of your outlet's return policy, and of course, remember to check out the gear before the XX days are up.

Psalm 30:12
All pure waves converge at the Origin
Jessie Sammler
RE: Behind the scenes at Behringer 2008/02/03 22:28:50 (permalink)
ship the old one back to Germany

How many Behringer products have actually been to Germany?
Jessie Sammler
RE: Behind the scenes at Behringer 2008/02/03 22:30:05 (permalink)
I don't think that anyone that I didn't buy thses speakers from is going to be very anxious to help me.

That's one reason to consider buying from a bricks-and-mortar local retailer.
yep
Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4057
RE: Behind the scenes at Behringer 2008/02/04 00:21:41 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: krizrox
...What I detest is the blatant copycat thing. Aren't there laws against that sort of stuff? Or does Behringer pay some sort of license fee to Mackie for copying their designs?...

Larry, I know you've been around the block enough to know that Mackie did the exact same thing to Neve, right?

What made Mackie stand out from all the bandwidth-limited hiss machines that we knew as "affordable mixers" back in the day was that they copied Neve circuit designs but with cheaper components and mass-production cost savings.

I have no love for Behringer, and they obviously slavishly copy anything Mackie does, but it always kind of baffles me when that is singled out as an ethical fault. If Mackie was an innovative company, it was in cost efficiency, certainly not in product design. Mackie was the trailblazer in the field of ripping off high-end circuits and finding ways to manufacture them cheaper. *If* there was anything cool about Mackie bringing pro features and design to the little guy, then suing Behringer was the most uncool thing they ever did, because Behringer basically just picked up the baton from Mackie and ran with it.

Why is there any sympathy towards Mackie, of all companies, in this respect? I could see someone faulting Behringer for, say, ripping off some guy selling stuff so esoteric that even the wife and kids don't know what Dad's doing in the garage, or for ripping off say Earthworks or some such, but why should anyone feel bad for Mackie? It doesn't make any sense.

If there's anybody in the audio world who doesn't already know about it, look up Fletcher's "S**t on a Stick" escapades at the 1996 AES convention that nearly got Mercenary Audio kicked out. The professional audio world basically viewed Mackie in exactly the same light that hobbyist audio snobs now view Behringer, because Mackie was doing the same to them that Behringer is now doing to Mackie.

Cheers.
Lanceindastudio
Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4604
RE: Behind the scenes at Behringer 2008/02/04 05:00:44 (permalink)
So Neve charges too much for the designs these days. Mackie copied it. Behringer copied them.

Money should not rule musical quality. Talent should. Today, many more people are doing audio production (not necessarily music, lol). I think Behringer is ahead, because they realize the market. Let people try to make good music. You will make money, honest money, on people's ambition. Don't rip them off! Just give them what they need for a fair price.

Well, I guess in comparison, Behringer charges too little? But personally, Im grateful!

I own one Behringer product, the UB502, my only outboard mixer. I make hits. Behringer helps me with that.

Power to the people. Its about skill, not gear.... especially in this day, when gear is at the point that skill is everything!

Asus P8Z77-V LE PLUS Motherboard   
i7 3770k CPU
32 gigs RAM
Presonus AudioBox iTwo
Windows 10 64 bit, SONAR PLATINUM 64 bit
Lots of plugins and softsynths and one shot samples, loops
Gauge ECM-87, MCA SP-1, Alesis AM51
Presonus Eureka
Mackie HR824's and matching subwoofer
krizrox
RE: Behind the scenes at Behringer 2008/02/04 09:48:06 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: yep

ORIGINAL: krizrox
...What I detest is the blatant copycat thing. Aren't there laws against that sort of stuff? Or does Behringer pay some sort of license fee to Mackie for copying their designs?...

Larry, I know you've been around the block enough to know that Mackie did the exact same thing to Neve, right?

What made Mackie stand out from all the bandwidth-limited hiss machines that we knew as "affordable mixers" back in the day was that they copied Neve circuit designs but with cheaper components and mass-production cost savings.

I have no love for Behringer, and they obviously slavishly copy anything Mackie does, but it always kind of baffles me when that is singled out as an ethical fault. If Mackie was an innovative company, it was in cost efficiency, certainly not in product design. Mackie was the trailblazer in the field of ripping off high-end circuits and finding ways to manufacture them cheaper. *If* there was anything cool about Mackie bringing pro features and design to the little guy, then suing Behringer was the most uncool thing they ever did, because Behringer basically just picked up the baton from Mackie and ran with it.

Why is there any sympathy towards Mackie, of all companies, in this respect? I could see someone faulting Behringer for, say, ripping off some guy selling stuff so esoteric that even the wife and kids don't know what Dad's doing in the garage, or for ripping off say Earthworks or some such, but why should anyone feel bad for Mackie? It doesn't make any sense.

If there's anybody in the audio world who doesn't already know about it, look up Fletcher's "S**t on a Stick" escapades at the 1996 AES convention that nearly got Mercenary Audio kicked out. The professional audio world basically viewed Mackie in exactly the same light that hobbyist audio snobs now view Behringer, because Mackie was doing the same to them that Behringer is now doing to Mackie.

Cheers.

I'm not doubting or questioning that Mackie might have used pre-existing circuit designs as a template or blueprint for their own products. I suppose everyone who produces professional microphone preamps has borrowed heavily from Neve and SSL and Trident and other sources at one point or another. I've used a lot of different type of mic pres in my life - or at least had the opportunity to hear some of them in action. I never made any association that Mackie sounded like Neve though. Not even in their higher end products. I always thought Mackie products had a sound quality all their own. So if they did copy anything, at least they came out the other end with something that was unique to them. That I admire. Do Mackie mixers/mic pre's have the same depth and quality of a $3000 Neve or SSL mic channel? Of course not.

I still maintain that Mackie products were like a breath of fresh air when they hit the market. All I know is my ability to produce better sounding recordings improved drastically when I got my first Mackie mixer. I didn't have to worry about knobs falling off or excessive hiss ruining my demos. I could carry these things to gigs and know that at least my mixer would work when I plugged it in. I've never worked in the big leagues but I can imagine that the big boys were all shaking in their pants when Mackie and Alesis and Tascam (et al.) started making products that allowed the weekend warriors to produce recordings on par with the million dollar studios.

The funny thing is, Behringer might have copied the look and feel of Mackie mixers, right down to the layout and position of the knobs and buttons, but they didn't capture the sound. Behringer mixers don't sound as good as Mackie's - even though they often look identical. Behringer mixers have no punch. Oh you can mix music on them but it's like the mixer is sucking all the ummph out of the signal.

Sadly, after having said all this, I have to admit that the last few Mackie mixers I've owned have all suffered latent manufacturing defects and have had to be repaired after a short period of time. So Mackie is not without sin either. But I would be more inclined to have a Mackie product repaired than a Behringer product. That stuff is too cheap to warrant the high cost of repair.

Larry Kriz
www.LnLRecording.com

Sonar PE 8.5, Samplitude Pro 11, Sonic Core Scope Professional/XTC, A16 Ultra AD/DA, Intel DG965RY MOBO, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz processor, XFX GeForce 7300 GT PCIe video card, Barracuda 750 & 320GB SATA drives, 4GB DDR Ram, Plextor DVD/CD-R burner.
j boy
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2729
RE: Behind the scenes at Behringer 2008/02/04 14:10:28 (permalink)
Bottom line for me is this, there's some gear that I just can't in good conscience recommend to even a cash-strapped beginner, 'cause it just doesn't cut the mustard.
Lanceindastudio
RE: Behind the scenes at Behringer 2008/02/04 15:16:47 (permalink)
http://ricobelled.com/
This CD was recorded and produced by Rico Belled ( www.ricobelled.com ) using almost all behringer pre's. The record has life, energy, and it sounds great.

I think behringer cuts the mustard quite well on this one.

I realize the link didnt point to the record. Just go to that site above and click "order cd's" and then listen to Ronnie Gutierrez cd. It is the one that was done with Behringer pre's.
post edited by Lanceindastudio - 2008/02/04 16:14:58

i7 3770k CPU
32 gigs RAM
Presonus AudioBox iTwo
Presonus Eureka
krizrox
RE: Behind the scenes at Behringer 2008/02/04 15:44:41 (permalink)
I'd like to turn the tables for a moment. This had got me thinking about a lot of things. I remember all the way back to 1975 (when dinosaurs ruled the earth) and a little known company by the name of Ibanez was just starting to make a name for themselves. I remember walking into a local music store and seeing 4 guitars on display right at the front of the store. There were two Les Pauls and two Fender Stratocasters. They looked identical all the way down to the paint job except the twins were made by Ibanez. The Ibanez guitars were half the price of the real thing. I bought the Ibanez Strat that same day and used it for a number of years as my main guitar. The build quality was really good and it played and sounded exactly like a Strat. The fact that it was a complete and utter rip off didn't bother me at all. All I knew was I had just bought a really nice guitar for half the price of a name brand model. Frankly I don't think I even knew that this was a bad thing back then. It never registered as a bad thing in my mind at all. I was just happy to have a nice guitar finally. It was the first really good instrument I had ever owned. And all my friends and family thought I was on my way to being a rock star which was just fine with me. They didn't care it was an original either.

Now Ibanez is considered a world leader in guitars. They somehow managed to survive all these years.

Anyone remember 8-track tapes? I do. I was there. You used to be able to walk into a record store and buy either the original artist release on 8-track or a cheaper illegal copy of the original artist release on 8-track. In the same store! I think the same thing applied to cassettes too (of course) and to a more or lesser degree - vinyl.

If I stop and think about it, the market is full of clones of clones (just like Yep argued). You can't single out a particular company because everyone eventually rips someone off some time to get something to market.

Larry Kriz
www.LnLRecording.com

j boy
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2729
RE: Behind the scenes at Behringer 2008/02/04 16:16:49 (permalink)
Sorry, I'm unconvinced about Behringer and $40 mic's. We'll have to amicably agree to disagree.
Lanceindastudio
RE: Behind the scenes at Behringer 2008/02/04 17:04:46 (permalink)
Hehe agree to disagree :)

I have a 500 dollar mic and I like the 40 dollar one equally depending on the singer :)

Also, my behringer mixer I bought for headphone monitoring and volume control to my mackies works great :)

i7 3770k CPU
32 gigs RAM
Presonus AudioBox iTwo
Presonus Eureka
aaronk
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1275
RE: Behind the scenes at Behringer 2008/02/04 18:02:12 (permalink)
If I stop and think about it, the market is full of clones of clones (just like Yep argued). You can't single out a particular company because everyone eventually rips someone off some time to get something to market.

If a company like Mackie invents something, they are free to seek patent protection for it. During the term of the patent, they have the legal ability to protect themselves from copy-cats.

If a product isn't patented, or if it was but a long time ago so the patent is expired, anyone is free to try to duplicate it. As you point out in your story about the Ibanez, this can be a great thing for consumers when Company B is able to make Company A's product better, at a lower price. Think generic drugs and Japanese cars.

Without that spur, Company A would be free to let quality sink and prices rise. Think American cars especially in the days before they realized the need to take Japan seriously.

Virtually every piece of gear we own is probably, ultimately, a copy from someone else. A lot of companies make condenser mikes; some one company invented them. Ditto for monitors, balanced cables, GUI's, mice, cymbals . . .

I'm still frustrated that audio gear (of the technical sort, not the hand-crafted sort) doesn't seem to be taking the path of photography or computer gear, where products in general get better and better while also getting less and less expensive. Our stuff seems to be priced more like fashion!
lazarous
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1461
RE: Behind the scenes at Behringer 2008/02/04 23:35:20 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: j boy
Sorry, I'm unconvinced about Behringer and $40 mic's. We'll have to amicably agree to disagree.

Remain unconvinced. I have $3k single channel pre's in my studio, along side a Behringer MX9000. FYI: Behringer didn't lose the suit Mackie brought against them, because it was shown (by Behringer) that Mackie HADN'T done anything to warrent protection.

They just made a different mixer.

We did an A/B comparison between my MX9000 and a Mackie 24x8... basically, the same mixer according to some people. The end result?

No one could tell the difference between tracks recorded on the Behringer or the Mackie. No one. And believe me, I WANTED to buy the Mackie instead! I could afford it, there just wasn't one there that day.

I can't figure out why people think there's a difference between Mackie and Behringer... they're BOTH bottom of the barrel Musician-grade gear. Period.

And they both make gear that works great.

Corey
post edited by lazarous - 2008/02/04 23:51:56

Ath 64 3500+
MSI K8N N2 Plat ATX 939 Mobo
2Gb DDR2 400
RME Hammerfall HDSP 9652
UAD1 4.2
WinXP Pro SP2
Sonar 8.3PE
New Henry and Buster episodes available!
Lanceindastudio
RE: Behind the scenes at Behringer 2008/02/05 14:11:37 (permalink)
Well said Corey. Bottom of the barrel isnt necessarily and often not a bad thing these days.

i7 3770k CPU
32 gigs RAM
Presonus AudioBox iTwo
Presonus Eureka
jacktheexcynic
Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3069
RE: Behind the scenes at Behringer 2008/02/08 12:33:35 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: yep
Well, a week's salary is kind of a relative thing, but to do a quick thought experiment:

Computer $500
Reaper or cakewalk music creator $50
Plugins free from countless (legal) sources
Four SM-1 LD mics: $160
Pair of SM57 mics: $180
Two rickety boom mic stands: $60
Four mixed cheap mic stands: $80
Presonus Firepod soundcard w/ 8 built-in preamps: $400
200 foot spool of Quad cable plus fifteen neutrik connectors: $150
Four sets of MoreMe tracking headphones: $80

The only thing missing is monitors, but I am sure that there is a reference-caliber budget set out there inside say $400, I just don't know of one offhand.

behringer truth b2031a's, $330. 8" woofer and pretty decent all around.

- jack the ex-cynic
losguy
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5506
RE: Behind the scenes at Behringer 2008/02/08 14:58:24 (permalink)
Mentioning Behringer equipment that we own that are of value = $ / what u get, I currently have:

ECM8000 Mic: Omni and rail-flat response, fairly low noise. Perfect for room response measurements, and works as a nice little point-source omni condenser, too.

DSP1100P (now you'd get the DSP1124P). Great for my live setup. Works as both an FBX and a parametric EQ.

CX2300 and DCX2496: Yes, they are in the monitoring path. Do I care? No, because for the utilitarian purpose they serve (subwoofer crossover and speaker management) they perform very nicely.

UCA202: Your basic soundblaster replacement (though more limited in sample rate... but at this price, who's counting?). Line-in, Line out, and headphones. I tested mine and it's also rail-flat from 20-20k, sampling at 44.1k. I haven't tested it for low-latency in SONAR yet (haven't had the need), but I've been curious.

Psalm 30:12
All pure waves converge at the Origin
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1