http://www.alchemedia.com.au/behringer.html

cryophonik   |   soundcloud  |   Facebook

Q6600 | GA-EP45-UD3P | Windows 7 64 | 8GB
Access Virus Keyboard TI2 | Kurzweil PC3X | NI Maschine

48 Replies Related Threads

Jesse G
    Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4282
    RE: Behind the scenes at Behringer 2008/01/28 23:27:00 (permalink)
    Great information about Behringer's production line

Thanks

Peace,
    Jesse G. A fisher of men  <><
    ==============================
    Cakewalk and I are going places together!

Cakewalk By Bandlab, Windows 10 Pro- 64 bit, Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI, Intel Core i5-4460 Haswell Processor, Crucial Ballistix 32 GB Ram, PNY GeForce GTX 750, Roland Octa-Capture, Mackie Big Knob, Mackie Universal Controller (MCU), KRK V4's, KRK Rockit 6, Korg TR-61 Workstation, M-Audio Code 49 MIDI keyboard controller.[/
    Lanceindastudio
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4604
    RE: Behind the scenes at Behringer 2008/01/29 01:41:56 (permalink)
    Nice! Good stuff! I am never afraid to buy their products like many are. Now I feel even better.

Asus P8Z77-V LE PLUS Motherboard   
    i7 3770k CPU
    32 gigs RAM
    Presonus AudioBox iTwo
    Windows 10 64 bit, SONAR PLATINUM 64 bit
    Lots of plugins and softsynths and one shot samples, loops
    Gauge ECM-87, MCA SP-1, Alesis AM51
    Presonus Eureka
    Mackie HR824's and matching subwoofer
    doncolga
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1519
    RE: Behind the scenes at Behringer 2008/01/29 08:46:21 (permalink)
    I was glad to see this too. I think some of their products are too similarly marketed to their competitors (Onyx vs Xenyx), but the Behringer products I've used have been really good. I've got a compressor that has traveled with me for at least 10 years that's still going strong, and I've used two of their live mixers with really good results, one especially got alot of on the road use and I never had any trouble from it.

Donny

ORIGINAL: Lanceindastudio

Nice! Good stuff! I am never afraid to buy their products like many are. Now I feel even better.

HP Z220 Workstation I7 3770, 8 GB RAM, Windows 10, Sonar Platinum, RME Multiface II via PCIe, JBL 4326 w/sub, AvanTone MixCubes
    Bren Gun
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 198
    RE: Behind the scenes at Behringer 2008/01/29 10:38:18 (permalink)
    Why does the guy sound so-- oh I don't know.... almost monotone? Is that to add a dramatic touch to it?

The information from this video surely contradicts information in another post where I read Behringer gear is generally crap.
    losguy
    Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5506
    RE: Behind the scenes at Behringer 2008/01/29 23:52:04 (permalink)
    Very interesting diary. I liked the documentary-style delivery. Like him, I also thought of Uli Behringer as an enigmatic figure, and I wondered if he truly existed.

Now I realize that he is the antichrist.

( j/k... did I get ya?)

I also want to applaud you, cryo, on this web magazine. It looks like a real find.

Psalm 30:12
    All pure waves converge at the Origin
    ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: Behind the scenes at Behringer 2008/01/30 00:15:50 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Bren Gun

Why does the guy sound so-- oh I don't know.... almost monotone? Is that to add a dramatic touch to it?

The information from this video surely contradicts information in another post where I read Behringer gear is generally crap.

The two items I bought with that brand name in the last 10 years were both defective. I have no idea what they might have sounded like had they been good ones, I returned them and got another brand.
    Jamz0r
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1725
    RE: Behind the scenes at Behringer 2008/01/30 02:53:03 (permalink)
    Looks like they are moving in the right direction.

It seems like they are working on quality control, which is good.

edit* Just noticed there's 15 minutes difference between posting and editing times...weird
    post edited by Jamz0r - 2008/01/30 03:09:21
    Bren Gun
    RE: Behind the scenes at Behringer 2008/01/30 04:07:48 (permalink)
    What were the items?
    joshhunsaker
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 638
    RE: Behind the scenes at Behringer 2008/01/31 16:01:02 (permalink)
    behringer uses the exact same circuit board and semiconductor configurations as the other "big-name" competitors do. they're basically an even keel knock-off brand. the only place they skimp is on the pots, pans and connectors. besides, all their products are built under the iso 9000 standards. there really is no reason to buy a yamaha mixer over a behringer in most cases. in fact - i've usually gotten better performance out of the latter.
    post edited by joshhunsaker - 2008/01/31 16:18:20
    Rbh
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2349
    RE: Behind the scenes at Behringer 2008/01/31 20:50:55 (permalink)
    I believe there were some issues of direct reverse engineering Mackie analogue boards about 5-6 years ago. I swore that I would never purchase from them for that reason alone. So far I haven't... too bad because they're bang for the buck is tremendous.

I7 930 2.8 Asus PDX58D
    12 Gig
    Appollo
    CbB, Sonar Pro, Reaper, Samplitude, MixBuss
     Win7 Pro

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=902832
    Bren Gun
    RE: Behind the scenes at Behringer 2008/01/31 20:55:43 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Rbh

I believe there were some issues of direct reverse engineering Mackie analogue boards about 5-6 years ago. I swore that I would never purchase from them for that reason alone. So far I haven't... too bad because they're bang for the buck is tremendous.

If you think that then I would suggest to start buying their stuff
    yep
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4057
    RE: Behind the scenes at Behringer 2008/01/31 22:30:00 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Rbh

This is certainly true, but don't feel bad for Mackie-- they did the same to Neve (as have dozens of others).

Cutting costs is the major new frontier of innovation in audio gear, or at least increasing the value/price proposition, and companies like Mackie and Peavy were the great trailblazers in that front. Twenty years ago, there was a very sharp divide between "pro" gear and everything else. There was no mistaking budget gear. Blind listening tests for subtle differences were not required, because the difference was obvious.

There are still places to buy gear where each piece is made, tested, or at least handled by the guy whose name is on it, and where you can call up and talk to him (or her) directly about what you want or with questions and so on. And some of them are still innovative. Almost all of them have an excruciating obsession with quality and the "magic" that good equipment can have. And that stuff is part of what makes it worthwhile for a lot of people to pay an electrical engineer a week's salary in markup for a piece that he spent a week working on.

Behringer is extraordinarily good at copying specs and features (and sometimes even the circuit board layout) and building them factory-line style with an aggressive approach to cost control. Whether that's good or bad for music or gear or any of it is open for debate, but companies like Mackie really paved the way by doing the same thing.

Cheers.
    Jessie Sammler
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2111
    RE: Behind the scenes at Behringer 2008/01/31 23:40:17 (permalink)
    Hmm. I'll be damned. Could another company come along and scoop out Behringer on production costs, to the point where retail prices are trivial and no one cares about the cost of anything because it's all so cheap? Will a week's salary ever fill an entire recording studio with computers, monitors, instruments, microphones, etc.?
    droddey
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5147
    RE: Behind the scenes at Behringer 2008/01/31 23:52:05 (permalink)
    Walmart? The Hanna Montana 32 track digital mixing desk?
    post edited by droddey - 2008/02/01 00:07:03

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    j boy
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2729
    RE: Behind the scenes at Behringer 2008/02/01 00:39:31 (permalink)
    Behringer... $40 microphones... What the hell is happening to this place? What's next, "I found this great deal on a preamp at Rdio Shack!" I'm not a gear snob, but crimeny! This joint's turning into bottom-feeders junction.
    yep
    RE: Behind the scenes at Behringer 2008/02/01 20:43:33 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Jessie Sammler

Hmm. I'll be damned. Could another company come along and scoop out Behringer on production costs, to the point where retail prices are trivial and no one cares about the cost of anything because it's all so cheap? Will a week's salary ever fill an entire recording studio with computers, monitors, instruments, microphones, etc.?

Well, a week's salary is kind of a relative thing, but to do a quick thought experiment:

Computer $500
    Reaper or cakewalk music creator $50
    Plugins free from countless (legal) sources
    Four SM-1 LD mics: $160
    Pair of SM57 mics: $180
    Two rickety boom mic stands: $60
    Four mixed cheap mic stands: $80
    Presonus Firepod soundcard w/ 8 built-in preamps: $400
    200 foot spool of Quad cable plus fifteen neutrik connectors: $150
    Four sets of MoreMe tracking headphones: $80

The only thing missing is monitors, but I am sure that there is a reference-caliber budget set out there inside say $400, I just don't know of one offhand. You could add another $80 for some homemade bass traps as an option. I guess you'd also need a soldering iron to make the cables. A pop filter or two could be improvised if the extra ~$20 is a stretch.

$2k total for a setup that would not be my first choice, but that is certainly adequate soup-to-nuts for most conventional recordings, with enough mics to get a full drum kit, or several musicians. There's no reason that a skilled engineer couldn't make absolutely professional records with that setup. World class? Probably not, but clean, clear, and professional-sounding, sure.

Probably more than an average weeks pay, but managable for most people to put together in a relatively short period of time. And if you're a one-person performer/producer then you can save a bundle or upgrade quality by getting just a stereo pair of inputs and just one or two mics. And if you figure most musician-types already have a computer, and maybe a mic or two and some cables lying around the cost gets ever lower.

Personally, I can't see how this is anything but a good thing overall. There is a certain sadness when you see something that you really care about cheapened and factory-produced and sold to teenyboppers at every shopping mall, but ultimately is the music and not the audio that is precious and important. There was something really cool about the days when say a large diaphragm condenser mic was something you saved up for and that came in a lacquered wooden box with a velvet lining that cradled the mic and shockmount, and where the whole construction and weight of it said "this is serious, this is quality." But eventually everything becomes a commodity, and machines and a factory line may never reach quite the level of quality of handmade, one-at-a-time boutique craftsmanship, but they can be surprisingly close sometimes.

Ultimately, companies like Behringer are putting capabilities into the hands of people who could never have afforded it in the very recent past, and a lot of those people are talented and worth recording.

Cheers.
    yep
    RE: Behind the scenes at Behringer 2008/02/01 21:16:33 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: j boy

Behringer... $40 microphones... What the hell is happening to this place? What's next, "I found this great deal on a preamp at Rdio Shack!" I'm not a gear snob, but crimeny! This joint's turning into bottom-feeders junction.

I hope this is a joke.

Any gear snob who is recording on a computer is like someone who drives a Hyundai looking down their nose at someone who drives a Neon.

To expand a little bit, what ultimately has been the driver for low-cost gear is digital recording. The explosion of Mackie went hand-in-glove with the arrival of the ADAT (see Fletcher's 1996 infamous AES scuplture, whose title is not reprintable here). The ADAT suddenly put high-quality recording into the realm of affordability for vast numbers of people who previously had the choice between a cassette portastudio or a very expensive reel-to-reel/mixing console setup. This led to a market for good-quality mixers, preamps, and so on that would previously have been pointless for home recordists bouncing tracks on crappy cassette tapes.

A mere 15 years ago or so (think about that), a state-of-the-art budget studio was a couple of ADATs and maybe a 24-channel mixer by the likes of Mackie, Tascam, or Yamaha. These things didn't even pretend to be "transparent" or "world-class." It was staggering that they were merely adequate. And you could buy a new car for the price of that rig, before you added any effects, cables, mics, stands, or monitors. Fortunately the preposterously successful Yamaha NS10 was readily available at retail, and a couple of new-fangled digital reverbs from the likes of Alesis could be got for a few hundred apiece, with similar money for some dbx compressors.

In short, you could open a recording studio for about the cost of opening a restaurant instead of a film studio, and you could produce "pro" sound quality from it. This was a revolution.

One of the great ironies was that back in the early days of the digital revolution, you could often pick up vintage tube mics and primo premaps, mixing consoles and the like for a song, as radio stations and college studios and the like switched over to more reliable and modern gear. Now, the affluent hobbyists and collectors have driven the prices for such stuff through the roof.

As the ADAT drove the demand for Mackie, so the computer has driven Behringer and MXL. Practically everyone already owns a computer, and for a few hundred (now for a few dozen) dollars, we can get a whole recording-studio-in-a-box, complete with mixer and effects. When an ADAT cost 3 grand (in 1995 money), spending a couple hundred on a compressor or whatever was incidental. But when the whole shebang costs next to nothing, a market is opened for class A preamps that cost $50 or whatever.

Cheers.
    post edited by yep - 2008/02/01 21:37:49
    Rbh
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2349
    RE: Behind the scenes at Behringer 2008/02/02 11:32:08 (permalink)
    I'm in my mid 40's. I grew up with whatever mid priced gear I could get my hands on, I was able to do some serious work with higher end analogue recorders and processors. As much as I loved digging into gear and wringing ever ounce of usability out of them, anymore I feel like a spoiled kid to have over a hundred plug-ins available and seemingly endless track counts. Spoiling is the key word...it actually spoils the creative process to endlessly noodle around with all this stuff. I so much appreciate the act of using one Delta-Lab delay with modulation to get a hundred different kinds of effects out of it. I actually learned things. I remember the first anouncment of Adats and the first introduction of medium and high end digital processors. I thought that all that time waisted trying to get devices sync'd and get the first midi and hard synths to cooperate with tape was finally over. Well look what it takes to get computers properlly configured and chasing the illusive 6 ms round trip latency and all now days. I'm very glad to do my serious " investing " in actual instruments and a few pieces of choice hardware. Software isn't the panacia I thought it would be. I lost a few pieces of software that I paid pretty good money for.... 2 years later they're replaced by some freeby off the net. The value is in what's created regardless of what tools you use. I hope to see a shift back towards hardware tools as they seem to have the best personal value, and do seem to retain some resale value. Software seems to have very little value past the point of initial sale.
    post edited by Rbh - 2008/02/02 11:49:50

I7 930 2.8 Asus PDX58D
    12 Gig
    Appollo
    CbB, Sonar Pro, Reaper, Samplitude, MixBuss
     Win7 Pro

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=902832
    krizrox
    Max Output Level: -35 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4046
    RE: Behind the scenes at Behringer 2008/02/02 15:27:24 (permalink)
    From 1984 until 2001 I worked as a manufacturing engineer for a very well-known Chicago-based consumer electronics company. Their claim to fame was televisions but they dabbled in pretty much everything from stereos to computers to cable & satellite set top convertors (which was the division I worked for). I was responsible for helping to setup a couple of large manufacturing plants in Mexico (at a time when US manufacturing jobs were heading across the border to Mexico). In a strange ironic twist, I was helping to put myself out of business but hey, it was a paycheck. Eventually I found another position within the same company and rode that train for a good long while.

Watching that Behringer-China video brought back a lot of memories. What Behringer (and a lot of other companies) are doing now in China, we (and a lot of other companies) were doing 20 years ago in Mexico. The country of origin might have changed but it's exactly the same stuff, the same production lines, the same SMD pick & place machines, the same ATE equipment, reflow soldering ovens, solder paste stencil machines, manual labor, etc. There's nothing new or innovative about any of that. There is only one reason for any company to be doing business in China: low-cost labor. You could make an argument that China is a huge country and there is a lot of market to explore there but consider that they are probably making a dollar an hour (or less) and can't even afford the products that they make. It was the same way in Mexico initially. Eventually the Mexicans wised up when they realized we were making a whole lot more money than they were (which probably explains our current illegal alien problem these days). I remember a specific visit to one of our plants in Chihuahua, Mexico when there was a workers strike for more pay. I was standing across the street from the plant when this all took place. We were unable to get into the building because they had locked all the entrances to the plant. Eventually this strike turned into a free-for-all with people throwing rocks and hitting each other with sticks. We split when the fun started because we were sitting ducks.

Initially, the cost of hotels, restaurants, stores, clubs, drinks, etc. there in Mexico was ridiculously cheap. But over time, the more gringos that moved down there to work, the more money they spent and the more the price of things went up to the point that the cost of things eventually reached parity. Mexico wasn't such as a great place to do business anymore because it cost too much.

The same thing will happen in China at which point everyone will have to find a new 3rd world cesspool country to do business in. You know, anywhere you build electronic devices there is going to be hazardous waste. It gets dumped. That's all there is to it. You can't wish that stuff away. We had the same problem in Mexico. What to do with the waste materials.

Almost all the gringos that spent any amount of time down there ended up marrying Mexican women. If they were already married they got divorced. I don't even have to ask. I know that is going on in China too. True story: the first time I walked into a Mexican production facility I noticed all these young women sitting on the production lines. Imagine a production line 100' long with nothing but young women as far as the eye can see. I was being escorted down one of the lines and I started to hear whistling and giggling. At first I wasn't sure what was going on but as I looked around I noticed the girls were all whistling at me. I'm sure my face turned bright red which only made them giggle more. It was explained to me later on that this was a mating call. These girls were all trying to get noticed and find a husband. Everyone who came to the plant got the same greeting. I enjoyed watching the looks on the new guys' faces when they'd walk down the line.

The reason why it was mostly women on the production lines is because it was determined that women had a higher threshold of pain - they could tolerate the endless hours of mind-numbing assembly work better than their male counterparts. Fridays were the best because all the women would come to work dressed to kill. At the end of the day they would get their pay and hit the discos in town.

One last tidbit - you didn't want to use the same washroom as the production workers - ever. There were no stalls or doors on any of the toliets. They were just out there in the open. The first time I walked into one of the bathrooms in the plant I was greeted by a bunch of guys sitting there doing their "thang" staring at me like "yeah sure man - come over here - here's a toilet next to me that's available". Us gringos would always have to walk to the front of the plant and use one of the executive washrooms.

PS - a few years ago I was working a temp job (when the studio business was too slow to even pay the rent). I was working for a local company that was in the process of moving production to... ta da... China. They had brought over a bunch of Chinese workers (mostly women from what I could tell) to learn the ropes and go back home to teach everyone else. I have to tell ya, these were some of the most beautiful women I had ever seen. They were like life-size Barbie dolls. Drop dead gorgeous. I have no doubt in my mind that there is a lot of cross-cultural relationships going on. (sorry hope I'm not insulting anyone)
    post edited by krizrox - 2008/02/02 17:05:30

Larry Kriz
    www.LnLRecording.com
    www.myspace.com/lnlrecording

Sonar PE 8.5, Samplitude Pro 11, Sonic Core Scope Professional/XTC, A16 Ultra AD/DA, Intel DG965RY MOBO, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz processor, XFX GeForce 7300 GT PCIe video card, Barracuda 750 & 320GB SATA drives, 4GB DDR Ram, Plextor DVD/CD-R burner.
    Jessie Sammler
    RE: Behind the scenes at Behringer 2008/02/02 15:39:58 (permalink)
    Software seems to have very little value past the point of initial sale.

Is that because much of it can be registered only once, because it becomes obsolete so quickly, or both? I'm kind of afraid to invest much in software, because I feel like I don't really own anything once I've bought it. Maybe that's the idea -- you don't own anything; you just have a license to use it. Whatever... it's all a lot less personal, physical, and tactile than hardware. That said, I recently picked up a Line 6 TonePort GX that comes with their Gear Box software, and it's pretty great. Since people are getting more and more used to relating to software, this is a piece of software that puts them in touch with hardware that they might otherwise never get to use. Instead of nerding around in a room with a bunch of gear, hooking and rehooking things and trying to decide what sounds good, I sit at my computer and click on things with a mouse. No tubes, almost no cables, no acoustic problems, no worrying about whether the neighbors can hear. As a guitarist, I think it's kind of a fun way to try things out. It's got to be better than auditioning a broken unit of the real thing in a crappy room with an unfamiliar guitar.

It's all kind of reminding me that the sound and the music are what's important (or should be). The hardware and the software are just tools in the process.
    Jessie Sammler
    RE: Behind the scenes at Behringer 2008/02/02 15:45:36 (permalink)
    The same thing will happen in China at which point everyone will have to find a new 3rd world cesspool country to do business in.

What's the new frontier in manufacturing jobs? Africa? South America?
    j boy
    RE: Behind the scenes at Behringer 2008/02/02 16:18:22 (permalink)
    Not a joke, yep. The misinformation that gets spread about can do serious damage to a n00b who doesn't know any better, and I can't just sit and let that happen without saying something...

Let's take Behringer gear, first. Frank's experience with Behringer gear is by no means un-typical. I haven't owned any but everyone I know who has has had reliability issues. I frankly think very little of the reputation of the company. What you charitably call "reverse engineering" I would call blatant copying and manufacturing under near slave conditions.

I was given good advice when I started hanging out here, to wit, spend little and buy cheap and you'll end up upgrading several times and end up with cheap gear you've outgrown and never gets used. Wasteful. And in the end you wil spend more than if you saved up and got a decent piece to begin with. I realize we all want instant gratification, but I know that there is affordable gear at a reasonable price point that makes much more sense over the long haul, than Behringer.

Now let's look at the MCA SP-1 that somebody said sounds like a C-414. It looks for all the world to me to be identical to the MXL 2001, only it's $10 cheaper. I found a reference on the web that says it uses the smaller diaphragm from the 903 or 603 or whatever, but it's hard for me to think there would be any other signifiacnt difference from the 2001. I have two of the 2001's that I got years ago when I was a n00b and didn't know any better. GC was running a deal, two for $100.

I will say that given the price it's impressive that they are usable at all, and they are usable. But the electronics are all very cheap components, and even if you tear in and do the Scott Dorsey upgrade (about $60 in parts cost IIRC), the capsule is still a weak point. Ther is resonance issues in the high end. If you look at the curve, the slope heading towards 10kHz looks like a hill in the Tour de France.

These are not something to get all worked up over, but I guess we don't want to rain on anybody's parade. Which is fine until the n00bs take it as true and go out and screw themselves...

There are affordable mic's by Groove Tubes, Rode, Audio Technica, etc. which don't break the bank but represent better long-term investments in time and money. Even the better MXL mic's like the V69 are decent, but they're not $40.

There's a school of thought that says "use whatever works" but I would say that doesn't mean "anything works".

Respectfully submitted, because I know you mean well yep.
    krizrox
    Max Output Level: -35 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4046
    RE: Behind the scenes at Behringer 2008/02/02 16:57:04 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Jessie Sammler

The same thing will happen in China at which point everyone will have to find a new 3rd world cesspool country to do business in.

What's the new frontier in manufacturing jobs? Africa? South America?

Who knows but rest assured, wherever there is an abundant source of cheap labor that includes mostly young single women and plenty of space to dump our toxic waste, we're working on it

Larry Kriz
    www.LnLRecording.com
    www.myspace.com/lnlrecording

Sonar PE 8.5, Samplitude Pro 11, Sonic Core Scope Professional/XTC, A16 Ultra AD/DA, Intel DG965RY MOBO, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz processor, XFX GeForce 7300 GT PCIe video card, Barracuda 750 & 320GB SATA drives, 4GB DDR Ram, Plextor DVD/CD-R burner.
    Jessie Sammler
    RE: Behind the scenes at Behringer 2008/02/02 17:00:12 (permalink)
    The buying habits of the American consumer are forcing companies to do it, you know.
    yep
    RE: Behind the scenes at Behringer 2008/02/02 18:39:52 (permalink)

...What you charitably call "reverse engineering" I would call blatant copying and manufacturing under near slave conditions....

For the record, I have no objection to the term "blatant copying," and offer no defense of Behringer, or of Chinese manufacturing. But I do offer for consideration two points:

- If Behringer is "slave conditions," then so is virtually every consumer good available for purchase in the US. Did you watch the video of their factory? It's a lot less offensive than some of the sweatshops in the NY garment district that proudly affix "made in the USA" to their goods. If you refuse to buy products made by people who are not paid a wage sufficient to support a family, I salute you for sticking to a tough principle, but to single out Behringer is preposterous. You'd have to include Ford, GE, Sony, Yamaha, Fender, General Mills, Fruit of the Loom, Mercedes-Benz, pretty much every retail consumer good.

- Behringer certainly engages in blatant copying, but what audio manufacturer doesn't? Perhaps Rupert Neve Designs gets a pass since he is primarily ripping off his own ideas from a prior company, but essentially every non-boutique manufacturer and the majority of boutique ones issue blatant knockoffs. If Behringer does it to a greater degree, it is a quantitative difference, not a qualititative one. In particular, for Mackie of all companies to complain is a serious case of the pot calling the kettle black, since Mackie's designs were themselves direct rip-offs of Neve circuits made with cheaper components and more efficient manufacturing. Let's not forget that for some time, Mackie was the poster child for cheap "prosumer" knockoffs, and was for years the most widely-despised brand among "serious" audio engineers for exactly the stuff that they have accused Behringer of doing.

...I was given good advice when I started hanging out here, to wit, spend little and buy cheap and you'll end up upgrading several times and end up with cheap gear you've outgrown and never gets used...
    And as a general rule, that is very good advice, and advice that I have often given out. BUT an even more important piece of advice is to start recording as soon as possible with whatever you can afford, and then only "upgrade" when you can make it really count. The main point of the principle of saving up for stuff that will last a lifetime, IMHO, is to avoid the "intermediate" upgrades, where you go from Behringer to ART to Mackie to FMR to API to Avalon or whatever, not to say that you should not buy a preamp until you can afford an Avalon (or whatever).

...Now let's look at the MCA SP-1 that somebody said sounds like a C-414. It looks for all the world to me to be identical to the MXL 2001, only it's $10 cheaper. I found a reference on the web that says it uses the smaller diaphragm from the 903 or 603 or whatever, but it's hard for me to think there would be any other signifiacnt difference from the 2001. I have two of the 2001's that I got years ago when I was a n00b and didn't know any better. GC was running a deal, two for $100.

I will say that given the price it's impressive that they are usable at all, and they are usable. But the electronics are all very cheap components, and even if you tear in and do the Scott Dorsey upgrade (about $60 in parts cost IIRC), the capsule is still a weak point. Ther is resonance issues in the high end. If you look at the curve, the slope heading towards 10kHz looks like a hill in the Tour de France....

Well, whatever they may look like, an important difference is that the MXL 2001 sucks and the SP-1 is actually a really good mic. I would posit that a frequency chart is an almost meaningless way to evaluate a mic, otherwise we could simply use an eq to make an SM57 sound like a C12 and save $15,000 or whatever, and I'm not sure on what basis the capsule is a "weak point." But whatever works for you is fine with me.

But all of this is neither here nor there.

What "breaks the bank" is a hugely relative term, and even if we posit as a given that all cheap gear is inherently inferior to more expensive gear, there are plenty of people in the world for whom even $50 is a significant investment that they have to save up for. To dismiss out of hand any discussion of low-price gear as "turning the joint into a bottom feeder's junction" is, I think, out-of-place on the forum of the company that for years was the poster child of the cheap consumer DAW.

Cheers.
    j boy
    RE: Behind the scenes at Behringer 2008/02/02 21:58:33 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: yep

...I was given good advice when I started hanging out here, to wit, spend little and buy cheap and you'll end up upgrading several times and end up with cheap gear you've outgrown and never gets used...
    And as a general rule, that is very good advice, and advice that I have often given out. BUT an even more important piece of advice is to start recording as soon as possible with whatever you can afford, and then only "upgrade" when you can make it really count. The main point of the principle of saving up for stuff that will last a lifetime, IMHO, is to avoid the "intermediate" upgrades, where you go from Behringer to ART to Mackie to FMR to API to Avalon or whatever, not to say that you should not buy a preamp until you can afford an Avalon (or whatever).

No, here's what I'm saying...

Instead of getting a Behringer pre-amp, use the pre's in your audio interface and save till you can get a good pre. Not a Neve, just a good preamp.

And instead of buying a cheap condenser mic because you think you've got to use a condenser mic no matter what, buy an SM-57 (or 58) (or two) and use them. Are they ideal for studio vocals? No. But, you can use them while you save and they have a life after you upgrade, on guitar cabs and snares, etc. Surely they will be in someone's budget at about $90 each.

I'm most decidedly not a gear snob... if I were I'd have better gear!

I like to find deals in the reasonable price range, in fact there are some dynamic mics out there that are better values than condensers in their price range, such as an RE-20 at $400. An SM-7B can be used for vocals and also on drums and guitar cabs.

But if you get a condenser make sure you get one that is still usable if you upgrade...

I mean, over on the SONAR forum, if someone were to sing the praises of Soundblaster or Audigy soundcards, it would be met with snickers or worse. No matter that one is on a budget there is a minimum level for consideration.
    Lanceindastudio
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4604
    RE: Behind the scenes at Behringer 2008/02/03 04:36:54 (permalink)
    We are in a golden era with music. Make music and stop complaining about how lucky we are.

Asus P8Z77-V LE PLUS Motherboard   
    i7 3770k CPU
    32 gigs RAM
    Presonus AudioBox iTwo
    Windows 10 64 bit, SONAR PLATINUM 64 bit
    Lots of plugins and softsynths and one shot samples, loops
    Gauge ECM-87, MCA SP-1, Alesis AM51
    Presonus Eureka
    Mackie HR824's and matching subwoofer
    joshhunsaker
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 638
    RE: Behind the scenes at Behringer 2008/02/03 04:37:04 (permalink)

i know people making over 200 thousand a year that still budget their money very carefully. i don't think it's just some sort of fad.

you realize, most of cakewalk's product's are relatively inexpensive as well. I'm sure you've heard of quantum leap or muse? that's not even taking into account the real turnkey workstations out there - remember, this is a software based company (well, used to be), cakewalk didn't (still doesn't AFAIK) make anything besides their integrated audio/sonar interfaces.

yep nailed it though. don't let a price tag become some sort of blinder to relative quality. technology isn't like oil - it tends to go down in price over time...
    post edited by joshhunsaker - 2008/02/03 05:07:54
    Clydewinder
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 941
    RE: Behind the scenes at Behringer 2008/02/03 10:55:01 (permalink)
    i've owned maybe a dozen pieces of behringer gear mostly for live use and i've never had any of it fail on me. i did have one compressor that never worked out of the box but the unit i exchanged it for worked fine for 6 years until i sold it. i think for the most part if it works out of the box it will continue to work.

a friend of mine built a whole PA out of behr stuff ( except speakers & mics ) and wouldn't have been able to afford that stuff NEW if the behringer stuff wasn't around. it's certainly hard to complain about stuff that is decidedly ENTRY LEVEL.

The Poodle Chews It.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1