Bite off some of the professional arena with comprehensive ProTools import/export

Author
jpetersen
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1499
2016/03/28 07:22:46 (permalink)
4.5 (4)

Bite off some of the professional arena with comprehensive ProTools import/export

ProTools is the "industry standard". Paradoxically, the functionality lags behind other DAWs.

It may be worth-while to tempt ProTools over to Sonar's feature list.
To achieve this, the import must be improved. And a way back (provided certain limitations are adhered to) is also needed.

From what I read, ProTools makes an effort to remain backwardly compatible and doesn't change much from version to version. This can be used to advantage.

Here is an example where an attempt importing audio with markers was made, semi-successfully, using OMF (audio yes, markers no)
http://forum.cakewalk.com...F-import-m3391264.aspx

Sonar already supports RTAS plugins.

OMF is a problematic format. Not only that, trying to find equivalent features between DAWs gets difficult the more detailed you go.

I don't know if importing ProTools' file format directly is legal (back-engineering?)

4 Replies Related Threads

pwalpwal
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3249
    Re: Bite off some of the professional arena with comprehensive ProTools import/export 2016/03/28 08:32:36 (permalink)
    should a dev code a "comprehensive" OMF interface, it should enable/facilitate both import and export; export's no more difficult than import - at the interface level - but it depends what sonar needs to do to prep the data before export is possible (aka a fancy mapping step)

maybe here's an opportunity to develop the "daddy" of OMF IMP/EXP :-)

but how many users actually NEED or even use it?

just a sec

lfm
    Max Output Level: -53 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2216
    Re: Bite off some of the professional arena with comprehensive ProTools import/export 2016/03/29 07:29:40 (permalink)
    The most obvious problem with OMF/AAF today is that it seems midi tracks/clips are not handled.
    So large part of projects today are midi - so thereby necessary.

The most sucessful operation I did from Reaper to Samplitude over EDL format, if Reaper changed midi clips to midi files on disk they were handled just as any other file reference for audio.

So if Sonar supported and extended this to freely move stuff with minimum amount of work - how lovely. It would certainly be points in moving back to Sonar as main daw for me.

It seems that http://www.aatranslator.com.au support ProTools project format, but have not tried how good it is. So that is would be considered reverse engineering I don't believe to be of worry.

Cubase is crap in this sense, it does not even have an option to split stereo tracks for OMF export, so it is ProTools compatible.
    Keni
    Max Output Level: -17.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5769
    Re: Bite off some of the professional arena with comprehensive ProTools import/export 2016/03/30 14:34:40 (permalink)
    I wonder if infringement issues might arise?

...but I think this would be great.

...and maybe take it a step beyond anything out there in some important areas such as plugins?

I would love it if incorporated in this the system would create a plugin values map and the ability to switch to a different device (used adjustable) when the correct device isn't found...

For example, If we use a compressor, it's values get stored and when opened in protools these values could get assigned to an available device?

Keni Fink
    Keni - Facebook
    Deep Space Records
    http://www.reverbnation.com/inexile
    http://www.cdbaby.com/artist/inexile
    Out Of My Head Music (BMI)

SPlat/MacPro/Dual Xeon 3.06GHz 6-core (12 total)/64GB/Win8.1X64/Presonus 1818VSL/Soundscape SS8IO-1
    kevinwal
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1066
    Re: Bite off some of the professional arena with comprehensive ProTools import/export 2016/03/31 21:28:14 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    I like it, at the very least to support importing PT and/or Reaper projects. A big part of Microsoft's success with Excel vs. Lotus 123 (remember that one?) was that Microsoft made the decision to support importing Lotus files. The intent was to make it as easy as possible for people to move to Excel from Lotus. They thought that if you made it easy, people would at least try it out and many would migrate. And it worked, even with the first version of Excel running under the first (awful) version of Windows.

Kevin Walsh
    My latest tunes are at Reverbnation, please give a listen!

EVGA X58 Classified III, 24GB Kingston RAM, i7/970 6 core
    256GB SSD, 2TB HD
    Windows 10 Build 10586, Sonar Platinum, 2016.03
    MOTU 8Pre Interface
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1