Helpful ReplyBuilding a studio from scratch

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
ohhey
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 11676
RE: Building a studio from scratch 2006/06/22 10:47:24 (permalink)
DIY network had a show (Home Transformations - Music Room) on building a studio into your home last night on cable. Here is a link to the story about the show.. All kinds of good stuff in there. Staggered stud wall with the mass loaded vinyl laced inside, control room window construction, floating floor, etc.

Part 1
http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/shows_dhtr/episode/0,2046,DIY_19141_42465,00.html

Part 2
http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/shows_dhtr/episode/0,2046,DIY_19141_42466,00.html
post edited by ohhey - 2006/06/22 11:01:56
SurfingMusicMan
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 439
RE: Building a studio from scratch 2006/06/22 11:04:18 (permalink)
Your points are all well received. I have some clients, but not enough to be considered a commercial facility. My wife and I have talked about me going to 1/2 time in a few years when I have more clients, but who knows how that will pan out.

Looks like I’ll have to rethink the project.

We have also talked about using a couple of our spare bedrooms for the studio, but that may prevent late night recording sessions if we have kids.

Back to square 1…
markus
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 216
RE: Building a studio from scratch 2006/06/22 12:55:45 (permalink)
as in kevin bottrell?

markus
yorolpal
  • Total Posts : 13829
RE: Building a studio from scratch 2006/06/22 13:12:42 (permalink)
No, markus, Kevin Gilbert. Bill Bottrell (one of my favorite producers) worked with Kevin on "The Shaming of the True" and Kevin's Toy Matinee projects. While I credit Kevin with an immense amount of talent, I still say it was Bill Bottrell that made those records sound so great. He also co-engineered and produced Thom Dolby's "Aliens Ate My Buick" which I still use to test monitors with. Sonically impeccable.

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
ohhey
  • Total Posts : 11676
RE: Building a studio from scratch 2006/06/22 13:52:36 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: yorolpal

No, markus, Kevin Gilbert. Bill Bottrell (one of my favorite producers) worked with Kevin on "The Shaming of the True" and Kevin's Toy Matinee projects. While I credit Kevin with an immense amount of talent, I still say it was Bill Bottrell that made those records sound so great. He also co-engineered and produced Thom Dolby's "Aliens Ate My Buick" which I still use to test monitors with. Sonically impeccable.

Yes ! Aliens Ate My Buick is a fantastic CD (IMHO Dolby's best work ever) and sadly out of print. However, I've been able to buy them on e-bay for friends.
Kegerator
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 353
RE: Building a studio from scratch 2006/06/22 16:59:27 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby glennstanton 2017/06/19 16:45:08
I didn't get a chance to read the whole thread so if this is a repeat sorry, but this is an awesome site for Studio design

Beer is the cause and solution to all of life's problem's

papa2004
Max Output Level: -10.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6475
RE: Building a studio from scratch 2006/06/23 01:04:41 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: cAPSLOCK

...Sometimes I think folks get so wrapped up in the ideals they forget that the whole idea we are talking about is just a place to record music...

And sometimes, folks are now able to fulfill a lifelong "dream". They want, and can afford, to do so starting from scratch so that, in bringing the dream to fruition, they can feel reasonably confident that they won't have any regrets about their efforts in the future.

I realize that some great records have been produced on tour buses, in hotel rooms, in dressing rooms, in bedrooms, etc.,...But that isn't the issue here. Barthowk seems to want a decent studio facility (and he has his wife's approval! -- How the hell did he manage that? ) in which he can record drums and have an iso booth and separate control room, so I never considered advising him to ditch that idea and simply convert a closet into a control room and another closet into an iso booth and run mic lines to his dining room for recording drums (after, of course, convincing his wife that all the stuff in the dining room will have to be moved whenever a drummer comes in), etc., etc.,...

This isn't about forgetting the "creative" reason behind why we do this...It's about creating a comfortable and functioning environment in which to do so...Frankly, and I mean no offense to anyone, I don't want "just a place to record music"...

The technological advances (in software, mics, preamps, etc.,) have made studio quality recording accessible to more people than ever before...Settling for "just a place..." is really defeating the purpose of purchasing those tools...Why not just set up a couple of room mics and hit the record button on a cassette deck? Yeah, I know that's kinda simplifying things but my opinion is to take things a little more seriously if you really want to make good recordings...

Just my 2¢ worth...

Regards,
Papa
SurfingMusicMan
RE: Building a studio from scratch 2006/06/23 11:05:03 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: papa2004

...Sometimes I think folks get so wrapped up in the ideals they forget that the whole idea we are talking about is just a place to record music...

And sometimes, folks are now able to fulfill a lifelong "dream". They want, and can afford, to do so starting from scratch so that, in bringing the dream to fruition, they can feel reasonably confident that they won't have any regrets about their efforts in the future.

I realize that some great records have been produced on tour buses, in hotel rooms, in dressing rooms, in bedrooms, etc.,...But that isn't the issue here. Barthowk seems to want a decent studio facility (and he has his wife's approval! -- How the hell did he manage that? ) in which he can record drums and have an iso booth and separate control room, so I never considered advising him to ditch that idea and simply convert a closet into a control room and another closet into an iso booth and run mic lines to his dining room for recording drums (after, of course, convincing his wife that all the stuff in the dining room will have to be moved whenever a drummer comes in), etc., etc.,...

This isn't about forgetting the "creative" reason behind why we do this...It's about creating a comfortable and functioning environment in which to do so...Frankly, and I mean no offense to anyone, I don't want "just a place to record music"...

The technological advances (in software, mics, preamps, etc.,) have made studio quality recording accessible to more people than ever before...Settling for "just a place..." is really defeating the purpose of purchasing those tools...Why not just set up a couple of room mics and hit the record button on a cassette deck? Yeah, I know that's kinda simplifying things but my opinion is to take things a little more seriously if you really want to make good recordings...

Just my 2¢ worth...

AMEN! Preach it brothA!
lazarous
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1461
RE: Building a studio from scratch 2006/06/23 11:42:31 (permalink)
Barthowk:

Last night I was talking to my partner about your dilemna, and it got me to thinking... what recording equipment do you currently own? If you're already set up with a fairly nice set of gear, just building the space shouldn't be all that bad... we built our space (admittedly, in an existing building) for about $10-15k, after sitting down and doing the estimates last night. We already owned a nice mic kit, most of the cabling, some sound treatment materials, the board and our recording unit, plus a half dozen computers that could handle a varying amount of computing. If you're in that situation, it really shouldn't be that bad.

I still think you should consider the parking area as a "main tracking area" if you're going the 2-story garage route. Heck, here's a Menards building that would probably make a fantastic studio/garage, at least as a starting point:

http://www.menards.com/featuredProjects.do?sortBy=title&page=0&type=Specialty&totalPages=1&dispatch=showOneGarage&code=1954605

If you went this route and followed the instructions on this page for reducing sound transmission:

http://www.controlnoise.com/common_wall_noise.html

You'd probably have a great start, and still have $5k or more to outfit other things about your studio.

Just throwing it out there... lots of options for you to look into. I hope you find a way to make it happen, man! I spent the last three nights in the basement recording two different projects, and it was so much fun.

Corey

Ath 64 3500+
MSI K8N N2 Plat ATX 939 Mobo
2Gb DDR2 400
RME Hammerfall HDSP 9652
UAD1 4.2
WinXP Pro SP2
Sonar 8.3PE
New Henry and Buster episodes available!
yorolpal
  • Total Posts : 13829
RE: Building a studio from scratch 2006/06/23 12:18:45 (permalink)
Gee what am I? Mr. Gloom & Doom? Oh well. The Menard bldg that Corey mentions above looks good. Looks good. But pre-fab kits are just that...kits for YOU to build out. And many times their specs and contents are not up to snuff. In fact here's what they themselves say regarding this unit: *You may buy all the materials or any part at low cash and carry prices. Because of the wide variables in codes, Menards cannot guarantee the material list will meet your code requirements. These are suggested designs and material lists only. Some items may vary from those pictured. We do not guarantee the completeness or prices of these garages. Labor, concrete floor/foundation, steel beams, paint, electrical, heating, plumbing and delivery not included. Please inquire at the building materials desk. Some special order truss sizes must be jobsite delivered. Delivery is extra* In short, you pay roughly $15,000 for the kit and then you still need elec. plumbing, concrete etc....and all LABOR (your single biggest cost). And this kit will be for what is know in the trade as "builders grade" materials. Which might sound good but which actually means lowest grade that will pass code. And this kit will be delivered (extra cost) all at one time. But you don't need the materials all at one time so you'll have to protect them from theft, weather, etc... until they roll up on the build schedule. The space alone to store the materials could well be problematic. Please don't get me wrong, Corey's idea might be just what you're looking for. But if I recall you are not a "handy man", right? And any contractor/crew you hire to "assemble" your kit will almost certainly want to choose their own materials. There is a pretty big difference in rehabing (as Corey and I have both done recently) an existing building and building one from scratch.

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
SurfingMusicMan
RE: Building a studio from scratch 2006/06/23 13:18:20 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: lazarous

Barthowk:

Last night I was talking to my partner about your dilemna, and it got me to thinking... what recording equipment do you currently own? If you're already set up with a fairly nice set of gear, just building the space shouldn't be all that bad... we built our space (admittedly, in an existing building) for about $10-15k, after sitting down and doing the estimates last night. We already owned a nice mic kit, most of the cabling, some sound treatment materials, the board and our recording unit, plus a half dozen computers that could handle a varying amount of computing. If you're in that situation, it really shouldn't be that bad.

I still think you should consider the parking area as a "main tracking area" if you're going the 2-story garage route. Heck, here's a Menards building that would probably make a fantastic studio/garage, at least as a starting point:

http://www.menards.com/featuredProjects.do?sortBy=title&page=0&type=Specialty&totalPages=1&dispatch=showOneGarage&code=1954605

If you went this route and followed the instructions on this page for reducing sound transmission:

http://www.controlnoise.com/common_wall_noise.html

You'd probably have a great start, and still have $5k or more to outfit other things about your studio.

Just throwing it out there... lots of options for you to look into. I hope you find a way to make it happen, man! I spent the last three nights in the basement recording two different projects, and it was so much fun.

Corey

Well, my studio equipment isn't out of this world or anything. Of course, I'm always upgrading. I’ve heard that for every dollar you spend on equipment, you should spend a dollar on room treatment. I figure that getting a great sounding room will be essential to really getting a great overall “sound.”

A basic rundown of my equipment is:
Lexicon Omega interface, Groove Tubes The Brick preamp, Studio Projects C1 mic, Shure SM57 mic, Alesis M1 Active MK2 monitors, MesaBoogie 112, Les Paul Studio, Fender American Precision Bass, Sansamp, line 6 tone core delay pedal, mostly monster cables, and a Dell XPS 400 (dual core processor). Like I said, nothing that great.

However, I’ll soon be getting a nice interface (e.g., lynx or RME) and a nice vocal mic (e.g., AKG C 414). Everything is on the upgrade right now…

Gee what am I? Mr. Gloom & Doom? Oh well. The Menard bldg that Corey mentions above looks good. Looks good. But pre-fab kits are just that...kits for YOU to build out. And many times their specs and contents are not up to snuff. In fact here's what they themselves say regarding this unit: *You may buy all the materials or any part at low cash and carry prices. Because of the wide variables in codes, Menards cannot guarantee the material list will meet your code requirements. These are suggested designs and material lists only. Some items may vary from those pictured. We do not guarantee the completeness or prices of these garages. Labor, concrete floor/foundation, steel beams, paint, electrical, heating, plumbing and delivery not included. Please inquire at the building materials desk. Some special order truss sizes must be jobsite delivered. Delivery is extra* In short, you pay roughly $15,000 for the kit and then you still need elec. plumbing, concrete etc....and all LABOR (your single biggest cost). And this kit will be for what is know in the trade as "builders grade" materials. Which might sound good but which actually means lowest grade that will pass code. And this kit will be delivered (extra cost) all at one time. But you don't need the materials all at one time so you'll have to protect them from theft, weather, etc... until they roll up on the build schedule. The space alone to store the materials could well be problematic. Please don't get me wrong, Corey's idea might be just what you're looking for. But if I recall you are not a "handy man", right? And any contractor/crew you hire to "assemble" your kit will almost certainly want to choose their own materials. There is a pretty big difference in rehabing (as Corey and I have both done recently) an existing building and building one from scratch.

Healthy dose of reality recieved. Thanks.
lazarous
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1461
RE: Building a studio from scratch 2006/06/23 13:34:46 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: yorolpal
Gee what am I? Mr. Gloom & Doom? Oh well.

Yes you are, ya big meanie!

I'd say you're very realistic.

The Menard bldg that Corey mentions above looks good. Looks good. But pre-fab kits are just that...kits for YOU to build out. And many times their specs and contents are not up to snuff. In fact here's what they themselves say regarding this unit: *You may buy all the materials or any part at low cash and carry prices. Because of the wide variables in codes, Menards cannot guarantee the material list will meet your code requirements. These are suggested designs and material lists only. Some items may vary from those pictured. We do not guarantee the completeness or prices of these garages. Labor, concrete floor/foundation, steel beams, paint, electrical, heating, plumbing and delivery not included. Please inquire at the building materials desk. Some special order truss sizes must be jobsite delivered. Delivery is extra* In short, you pay roughly $15,000 for the kit and then you still need elec. plumbing, concrete etc....and all LABOR (your single biggest cost). And this kit will be for what is know in the trade as "builders grade" materials. Which might sound good but which actually means lowest grade that will pass code. And this kit will be delivered (extra cost) all at one time. But you don't need the materials all at one time so you'll have to protect them from theft, weather, etc... until they roll up on the build schedule. The space alone to store the materials could well be problematic. Please don't get me wrong, Corey's idea might be just what you're looking for. But if I recall you are not a "handy man", right? And any contractor/crew you hire to "assemble" your kit will almost certainly want to choose their own materials. There is a pretty big difference in rehabing (as Corey and I have both done recently) an existing building and building one from scratch.

I agree with everything you've said. Can't argue with anything. I still think it might be worth having a similar garage built, even if it just has a large open are upstairs. Barthowk could work on turning it into his studio over time.

I've worked with the Menards kit buildings before. Your assessment is correct, Yorolpal... some of the 2x4's are freaking bananas, but overall it's a decent starting point.

Corey

Ath 64 3500+
MSI K8N N2 Plat ATX 939 Mobo
2Gb DDR2 400
RME Hammerfall HDSP 9652
UAD1 4.2
WinXP Pro SP2
Sonar 8.3PE
New Henry and Buster episodes available!
cAPSLOCK
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1071
RE: Building a studio from scratch 2006/06/24 04:15:58 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: papa2004

I respect that. In fact I have done it. I built a 1200 square foot studio with two isos, a large high ceiling main room, a control room, bathroom, and small lounge. From the ground up. Built right, with doubled offset stud walls everywhere, same with the ceiling. One iso is locked, and the rooms are trapezoidal and asymmetrical One iso is live warm and has high ceilings, the other is dead-ish. They each have 10 mic lines and 2 returns along with the 16 lines and 4 returns in the main room. Mogami Neglex Quad throughout, ADC patchbays, Neve, API, Focusrite, Aphex, and Amek preamps... neumann, shure, crown, cad, at, ev, and so on. We have a piano, a hammond organ, a DW drumset, guitars, bass.. etc etc etc.

It's not that I think attention to detail doesn't matter, and I think it does. And I think barthowk knows what he wants.

In my own life I have let "the perfect be the enemy of the good" enough times to make me remember that in the end it's about making good sounding music. I spose I was preaching to myself more than anyone else, which is about all I do out here on the net. ;) It really is time for me to unplug this damn thing.

bye bye! -plink-

"We da da sahw pe paw fidlily-doobee afidlily-dooten-bweebee!" -Shooby
Muziekschuur at home
Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1442
RE: Building a studio from scratch 2006/06/24 07:09:47 (permalink)
A french roof on a garage within a two roomdesign and using digital drums (you can allways sample the kit of a client) will take care of acoustics, too much sound (wich would bother neighbours) and crosstalk issues. Just use a second loose floor in the recordingarea (make sure it doesn't touch walls ( 1-2 cm's room (wich can be hidden with hollow plints) Two different double glased windows and two doors will dampen the sound coming from the recording area around 40-60 db. This should be enough. If you get a hardrockdude over you can create a closed box (Iron Maiden uses such boxes on their worldtours recording their new songs in their hotelrooms) wich can hold 3 microphones per cabinet. This will dampen any noise from a guitarbox.

Acoustic tuning can be done with Auralex kits or alike. Extra costs over the usual garage will be:

- extra electricity (three/four groups for studio use alone, and another (or two) for the garage and extra solid grounding
- two walls between studio and life area
- two doors and two windows (with different type of glass and in a little angle (in studio a little tilted)
- a second loose floor in the life room
- two sets (or more) of auralex (or alike) packages for acoustic tuning.
- digital drumkit
- box for loud guitaramps

Muziekschuur

Cakewalk Sonar Platinum Windows 7 32bit & 64bit (dualboot) Gigabyte mobo Intel dual quad 9650 & 4GB Ram RME DIGI9636 & Tascam DM24.  M-audio Rbus & SI-24 Alesis Pro active 5.1 & Radford 90 transmissionline monitors. Roland RD-150 piano Edirol UM-880 & alesis fireport.
Remote recording Alesis HD-24 & Phonic MRS 1-20.
P.A. D&R Dayner 29-8-2 & behringer MX8000 (& racks)
Rackpc Sonar Platinum with win10 AMD X6 1055T, 16GB Ram
 Dell inspiron 17R 6gb ram W10 two SSD's Sonar Plat.
ericzang
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 197
RE: Building a studio from scratch 2006/06/24 10:42:24 (permalink)
Just came across these program that might be helpful in designing your studio in regard to monitor placement and dimensions:

http://www.rhintek.com/cara/cara21desc.php

http://www.rpginc.com/products/roomsizer/index.htm
http://www.rpginc.com/products/roomoptimizer/index.htm

http://www.ericzang.com
"Night Music of the Rainforest" now available for download
SteveD
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2831
RE: Building a studio from scratch 2006/06/24 11:13:28 (permalink)

I respect that. In fact I have done it. I built a 1200 square foot studio with two isos, a large high ceiling main room, a control room, bathroom, and small lounge. From the ground up. Built right, with doubled offset stud walls everywhere, same with the ceiling. One iso is locked, and the rooms are trapezoidal and asymmetrical One iso is live warm and has high ceilings, the other is dead-ish. They each have 10 mic lines and 2 returns along with the 16 lines and 4 returns in the main room. Mogami Neglex Quad throughout, ADC patchbays, Neve, API, Focusrite, Aphex, and Amek preamps... neumann, shure, crown, cad, at, ev, and so on. We have a piano, a hammond organ, a DW drumset, guitars, bass.. etc etc etc.

All quality tools to help produce a quality result. (and I've heard your high quality results)

In my own life I have let "the perfect be the enemy of the good" enough times to make me remember that in the end it's about making good sounding music.

THAT... my friend... is profound. I may even frame this and hang it in my studio!

I spose I was preaching to myself more than anyone else, which is about all I do out here on the net. ;) It really is time for me to unplug this damn thing.

NOT TRUE! I've told you this before cAPS... I read everything you post and benefit from it. Thank you.

bye bye! -plink-

I know better... you'll be back!

At least I hope so...

... -plink-
post edited by SteveD - 2006/06/24 14:24:27

SteveD
DAWPRO Drum Tracks

... addicted to gear
CAW
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 337
RE: Building a studio from scratch 2006/06/24 20:31:45 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: barthowk
We're thinking that building a garage with a studio above will raise resale value because the studio can be listed as "mother-in-law quarters,"

Yes especially if the potential buyer has a mother in law with a big mouth. The soundproofing will put a smile on their faces as they're signing the purchase papers.

Just remember that the upper floor will be more exposed to neighborhood noise then the ground floor will be as it is behind fence lines and other ground clutter. The walls must be designed well.
post edited by CAW - 2006/06/24 20:43:48

Great things happen in a vacuum.

http://www.coronaampworks.com
Muziekschuur at home
Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1442
RE: Building a studio from scratch 2006/06/28 10:39:44 (permalink)
Any news yet as to any final plans?
SurfingMusicMan
RE: Building a studio from scratch 2006/06/28 10:57:51 (permalink)
We don't close until July 7, and I'm not going to actually start official plans until we've settled a little (a month or so) (both for sanity's sake and to see where we are at financially). The purpose of me starting this conversation was to get opinions and ideas. When things get more settled, I'll let everyone know!

Thanks for the interest.
papa2004
RE: Building a studio from scratch 2006/06/29 00:13:57 (permalink)
Just remember that the upper floor will be more exposed to neighborhood noise then the ground floor will be as it is behind fence lines and other ground clutter. The walls must be designed well.

Don't forget the ceiling and roof structures...

Regards,
Papa
...wicked
Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7360
RE: Building a studio from scratch 2006/06/29 01:08:37 (permalink)
This month's issue of Remix has a home-studio upgrade done by the People Under the Stairs (hip hop production crew). They talk about the very DIY approach they took and what worked and what didn't. Well worth a read for you.

It's the July issue with Zero 7 on the cover.

===========
The Fog People
===========

Intel i7-4790 
16GB RAM
ASUS Z97 
Roland OctaCapture
Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
billions VSTs, some of which work    
austinm69
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12
RE: Building a studio from scratch 2006/08/05 02:20:57 (permalink)
G'day, I built my Studio for $20K and as Mod Bod said thats just materials only. I started with 9 x 12 room on a 6 inch concrete slab. After insualting the room with "Sound Screen" (Rock Wool) I covered it with 2 layers of dry wall to get to about 1' thick. I then built another frame inside that room room completely free standing. The resaon for this was to not only reduce noise but to isolate vibration. I insulated these walls with Rock wool then lined with another 2 sheets of dry wall.

The Observation window was built inplace. 8mm Glass at 90 degree for the Mixing side and another sheet a 5 degrees on the studio side.

I did think of ventilating the room but due to the cost and complexity (to ensure no noise) I opted not to do it. I have to say since the room is so insulated it does not get hot or cold unless I indruce heat or cool. In saying that it does get stuffy. If I have a drummer going nuts in there it does get warm.

Happy to to send pics or offer any other advice.

Mark
papa2004
RE: Building a studio from scratch 2006/08/05 03:21:54 (permalink)
The Observation window was built inplace. 8mm Glass at 90 degree for the Mixing side and another sheet a 5 degrees on the studio side.

DELETED: Just realized what you're describing (as far as angles)...

I did think of ventilating the room but due to the cost and complexity (to ensure no noise) I opted not to do it. I have to say since the room is so insulated it does not get hot or cold unless I indruce heat or cool. In saying that it does get stuffy. If I have a drummer going nuts in there it does get warm.

No ventilation at all? Due to the cost and complexity (to ensure no noise)???

Austin, you didn't do your homework, mate...
post edited by papa2004 - 2006/08/06 00:26:09

Regards,
Papa
eric_peterson
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1103
Re: RE: Building a studio from scratch 2017/06/17 20:04:14 (permalink)
I second the a/c comment, I desperately need a mini-split system, one per room. If you can't afford one at the time do the homework and route power and oversized conduit for the line sets. Kicking myself for cutting corners when I built my studio.
eric_peterson
Re: RE: Building a studio from scratch 2017/06/17 20:05:34 (permalink)
That way, later, if the heat is killing you, it'll be a drop kick when you can afford it.
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: RE: Building a studio from scratch 2017/06/17 20:28:29 (permalink)
This thread is over 10 years old. I suspect the build is complete by now.
eric_peterson
Re: RE: Building a studio from scratch 2017/06/17 20:40:38 (permalink)
Embarrasing, I didn't check the date!. Just on a flight to Boston and bored, keeping busy browsing. Well, maybe someone else doing a build will see it and benefit from my mistake.
patm300e
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 845
Re: RE: Building a studio from scratch 2017/06/19 11:36:04 (permalink)
Sound City was a warehouse...Just saying...

SPLAT on a Home built i3 16 GB RAM 64-bit Windows 10 Home Premium 120GB SSD (OS) 2TB Data Drive.  Behringer XR-18 USB 2.0 Interface. FaderPort control.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1