CAKEWALK - absolutely disgraceful service

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
techtim
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: CAKEWALK - absolutely disgraceful service 2006/09/23 20:32:44 (permalink)
From my personal experience and what I have read on these forums, it is clear the Cakewalk store is more often than not rejecting non-USA credit cards. In my case, I tried both a MasterCard and a Visa card with the same result. I had successfully used the MasterCard on the Cakewalk store about a year ago, but no success recently. In the end it didn't matter as it made me check out the Australian distributor, Intelliware, who was doing the same upgrade deal and I saved on freight.

Anyway, if the Cakewalk store is going to reject non-USA credit cards they could at least tell us this or is this some secret deal between them and local distributors. Unfortunately, local distributors don't always provide the same discount offers as the Calkwalk store.
pjl
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 796
RE: CAKEWALK - absolutely disgraceful service 2006/09/24 00:33:03 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ccmacdon

Ogis,

I don't think it's necessarily just happening to non-US customers but there is definately a lot of non-US customers that seem to have issues.. it's one thing for the on-line store to have some kind of a credit card problem but to expect your customers to sit on hold on the telephone incuring long distance charges for excessive periods of time simply to place an order is absolutely ridiculous. If there was a 1-800 number that worked in Canada I wouldn't have such a big problem with all this, I would have simply waited on the phone, but not if I'm paying long distance charges!! Craig

I think it is only an issue for non-US customers. The problem is that when you fill in the Billing Address form the fields do not match up exactly with the credit card company's records and so they flag a billing address error and decline the transaction. I had the same problem, ordering from Australia, a few weeks ago and was able to get it to work by typing the address elements in the correct order, which meant putting data in some of the fields that was not what they were intended for.

As for providing an international toll-free number, I think that's asking a bit much. To be honest, I am surprised they let us order direct from outside the US. Usually, the distribution agreements these companies have forbid cutting out the local distributor. Companies like Line 6 and Fender expressly forbid retailers such as Sweetwater to sell their products outside the US. I know they still do it but as I understand it they are breaching their dealership agreement if they do.

Celebrate reason, sleep in on Sundays
muxizian
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: CAKEWALK - absolutely disgraceful service 2006/09/24 01:14:03 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: My Favorites

ORIGINAL: krizrox

I'm curious about something. I realize these might be really naive questions:

Do the local distributors in your countries of origin not provide any meaningful support functions for you? I mean, if you were to call them and ask them to help, would they simply ignore you? Is it worse than calling the US and trying to get help directly from the mothership? Just wondering.

I tried on an earlier version to upgrade through a distributor in Canada, just to save on shipping, but I was told for upgrades I have to buy direct from Cakewalk
mudgel
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12010
RE: CAKEWALK - absolutely disgraceful service 2006/09/24 04:34:12 (permalink)
No it is not a problem with banks or browsers or settings for cookies.

It is 100$ an issue with the way that Cake collects your address information. With overseas customers the US format for adressing does not work if your address in Australia.

refer to adroen's post

ORIGINAL: Adroen

Update: After initially facing the same problem as Lostchord and a lot of other people in this thread, I've successfully placed an order through the webstore.

Now what i'm going to say is what worked for me. It doesn't mean it will solve everyone's problems with this particular error, but it has worked for me so i'm passing on the info in case it helps someone out.

Okay now that the disclaimer is out of the way.

The following post and the info contained within it(thanks Adam) is what got my mind ticking over about how I could make the order succeed. Remember i'd already had two failed attempts that had placed 'holding' amounts on my card, just like other posters have mentioned.(These 'holding' amounts dropped off the system a week later for me, as the Sales Support person I spoke to told me they would...Adam also mentioned in his post about this)
quote:

ORIGINAL: Adam Burch [Cakewalk]

When you click the Submit button in our eStore checkout process it triggers a series of events:

CC Authorization - Our credit card processing service determines whether the funds required for purchase are available on your credit card. If approved, a hold is placed for the purchase amount. You made it successfully through this step.

Address Verification - Our CC processor verifies the billing address you gave us, comparing it to the one on file with your CC company. This is where your transaction was declined. That usually means the Billing Address you supplied doesn't match the one on record with your CC company/bank. Can you verify the address on file with your bank before attempting to order again?

If the Address verification fails, the CC Authorization is voided. Or rather, we send a void request. How quickly your available credit is restored is up to your bank. Some take from 5 to 14 days, but it's usually restored in a few hours.

Now that second point about the Address Verification step was what needed to be worked out for the order to succeed for me. Although it wasn't because i was entering the wrong address information...but because the standard(logical) way of entering information into the billing address form, didn't allow for me to enter the address details in such a way that the CC provider's information matched what I'd entered into the webstore's form. Thus the failures. Now if I was from the US, I don't expect this would happen at all as the billing form provided is set up great for US residents to fill in, but the failure happens with overseas customers because of the state drop down box(for international customers who can't enter a state here and have to enter non-US or canada). It breaks the flow of how the address needs to look when the matching happens between Cakewalk's and the CC provider's servers.

So, luckily I could fix this by not using all of the address fields exactly as they are titled. For example you'll see that I had to use the City field to enter the zip/postal-code below.

Okay, this is how I entered the info.
1. In the name fields/boxes: In the first name field/box I entered my first name and a middle initial, with a space between them...even though it only titles this field/box as a first name field/box. Of course if you don't need to put a middle initial you wouldn't, but I did. In the Last name field/box I used my last name, so exactly as it asks.
2. In the Address fields/boxes: Although normally you'd probably only be putting your street name here for example(I was, as it seemed logical). I had to instead use these 3 fields line by line to enter the Street(1st field/box), City/Town(2nd field/box), and State(3rd field/box)
3. The City field: As I mentioned earlier I had to use this City field/box to enter the zip/postal-code instead of the City. I had already entered the City within the previous step above, so didn't need to use this box for the purpose it's titled as.
4. State drop down box: As I'm not from the US, i had to choose the non-US or Canada option from the list. It shows up as N/A on the billing form summary.
5. Zip/Postal-code: Since something had to be entered here(it is a requirement of the form) I just entered a '-'(hyphen) symbol, as the hyphen symbol is a pretty good way to describe a 'blank' entry when at least one character is needed to be entered. Remember I had entered the zip/postal-code in the City field above, so didn't need to put it here again, thus the need to show it as blank.
6. Country: I chose my country from the drop down box. Nothing special here. Just did as needed for this one.

And that was that, so after I'd entered this, the details were listed in the correct order on the next billing/shipping page summary. In order:
Full Name
Street
City/Town
State
Postcode
N/A
-
Country

Whereas using the fields for international customers as they are named exactly, you'd end up with this, which is the way that was failing for me before, as it's not what the CC provider's details look like, so when cakewalk's servers do the match with the CC provider's details it fails. In order:
Full Name(without a middle initial if it was needed)
Street
City/Town
State not able to be listed specifically('non us or canada' option from the drop down box)
Zip/Postal code
Country

Anyway, my order succeeded by changing the address details the way I decribed. I recieved the 2 e-mails(one containing the receipt, then the other with the registration details etc). 2 days later I recieved a tracking number for DHL, which I have tracked and it's now in the same country(woohoo), but due to the weekend, I won't get it till next week now(doh). I also have a proper itemised charge from cakewalk on the cc as well, whereas the previous holds just dropped like described earlier.

Anyway, i'm not suggesting to follow my advice of course. Just telling you of my experience. I really wanted to take advantage of the upgrade offer, and continute using Sonar, so I had to give it another shot. By the way, I tried out my theory by ordering the mp3 activator first, then as that worked I was able to upgrade Sonar(mp3 activator wasn't as dear to risk getting another wrong 'holding' charge from as Sonar was, and I needed it still anyway hehe)

Cheers guys,
Adroen

When I purchased Dimension Pro & Project 5 I had not become aware of this method and I had to send my card details seperated into 5 seperate emails (for security) to complete my transaction with the Cake sales dept. Then they did a manual card process at their end. Its obvious they know about the problem.

Please before others post, read all the threads on this topic before offering meaningless guesses about what the problem is.

It is definitely a Cake data collection issue. In fact several US companies are having this issue because of CC Address authorisation and the way address data is collected and then presented to the CC Provider.
Your credit Card data and the way the company presents it to them do not match and you get a failed authorisation error, check your address details with your card provider or check you have sufficient funds. Of course neither is really the case.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
vicsant
Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1378
RE: CAKEWALK - absolutely disgraceful service 2006/09/24 04:52:54 (permalink)

I have tried very hard to purchase my Sonar 6 Producer Edition upgrade, but I can't get through the credit card authentication process!! Everything is fine with my credit card and the address on my card, so it is clearly a problem with your credit card authorization process, and there are 9 pages of complaints and related comments to prove this point on the forum!! I've sent several emails throughout last week and I have received NO REPLY to any of them. AND WHEN I CALL CUSTOMER SERVICE I HAVE BEEN PUT ON HOLD FOR 10-15 MINUTES EACH TIME (and I've had no alternative but to give up!!)

How do I get some response from you guys.. this is disgraceful... Craig MacDonald

There's really been a problem with the Cakewalk store that the Bakers still haven't fixed. The first thread http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=774318&mpage=9&key=
is now 9 pages long. Why don't you just order from Sweetwater or audiomidi.com? The offer is the same.

Is there an advantage with buying from Cakewalk? With all the hassles, I don't think so.
SteveJL
Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4644
RE: CAKEWALK - absolutely disgraceful service 2006/09/24 05:59:27 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: vicsant
There's really been a problem with the Cakewalk store that the Bakers still haven't fixed. The first thread http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=774318&mpage=9&key=
is now 9 pages long. Why don't you just order from Sweetwater or audiomidi.com? The offer is the same.

Is there an advantage with buying from Cakewalk? With all the hassles, I don't think so.

A lot of times they offer very attractively-priced upgrades and Specials "Only for xxxxxx-Owners" that aren't aren't offered in stores, so the Online problems REALLY need to be worked out.

tombuur
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 611
RE: CAKEWALK - absolutely disgraceful service 2006/09/24 06:12:10 (permalink)
Just ordered the S6 upgrade. The Cakewalk store wouldn't accept my VISA because the highest valid expiry date was 2011. Over here in Europe we have expiry dates further out in the future than this. I used my emergency backup Mastecard instead, but not everyone may have such an option.
Karim
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 79
RE: CAKEWALK - absolutely disgraceful service 2006/09/27 20:37:45 (permalink)
Ccmacdon, I couldn't agree with you more. I had the same problem when I tried to order Sonar 6 online. Every time I tried to submit an order, my credit card was rejected. I then ordered Sonar 6 by phone, which didn't exactly please me since it was a long distance call that lasted over 30 minutes. This was over 3 weeks ago and I have yet to receive a reply to my e-mail inquiries OR any kind of order confirmation. I wouldn't have been so impatient had they at least confirmed via e-mail that the order had gone through. But for all I know I could be waiting for Sonar 6 like an idiot when my order is not even in Cakewalk's system. I can't even get an e-mail reply! I've never experienced such horrible service. The only way to contact them is by phone which I can't even do because their working hours are the same as mine and I can't make a personal long distance call from my work, and OF COURSE their 1-888 number doesn' work in Canada. So basically I'm stuck in the dark with no possible way to get in touch with anyone from Cakewalk.
UnderTow
Max Output Level: -37 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3848
RE: CAKEWALK - absolutely disgraceful service 2006/09/27 21:52:02 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: svw24

ccmacdon, i hope your problem is solved in the meanwhile. Could you please change that terrible screaming topic title?
Because i dont think the cakewalk people deserve this disrespectful handling.

Thanks allot
Greetz

SvW

Someone at Cakewalk certainly does. The person responsable for customer service that is.

How on earth can a company not fix their credit card form when so many people have complained. That is just plain stupid. No other words for it. And why don't they have a seperate sales number or ordering number that deals ONLY with that and goes straight to the front of the phone queue? It is pretty insane that people can't put an order through their website or by phone.

And I'm still waiting for a response on my support queries from three weeks ago. Bad bad bad ...

UnderTow

PS: Here is some usefull info for Cakewalk. The address format in the Netherlands is as follows:

"Street Name" "house Number"
"Postal code" (1234 AB)
"Town Name"

Thats it. All addresses in NL follow that format. Maybe others that have had problems can share the format for their own country.
post edited by UnderTow - 2006/09/27 22:15:32
Adam Burch
Administrator
  • Total Posts : 48
RE: CAKEWALK - absolutely disgraceful service 2006/09/27 22:32:15 (permalink)
Hello Craig,

Thanks for letting us know about the problem you're having when making a purchase on our estore. There is a problem with some address verification when using our Rest Of World store (called Worldwide on our site). It affects this one specific web store. The GBP, Euro and US stores don't exhibit the problem.

I sent you a Private Message detailing how we'll contact you, look in our logs and see why your transaction failed. We need to solve this, and we need individual samples in order to find the problem. Thanks for raising awareness. In any case, we'll get your order placed on Thursday after coordinating with you privately.

Here's the single most helpful tip we've found so far RE our Worldwide store address verification: If your middle initial is included on your credit card billing statement, it must be included in the FIRST NAME field on our store. So Fred J Smith would want to enter "Fred J" in the First Name field - if his middle initial was included on his CC statement. That simple omission can cause a failed CC transaction.

In the meantime, we'd like you folks to use and enjoy your copies of SONAR 6. If you find our eStore too frustrating we encourage you to order SONAR 6 from the authorized resellers in your area. In some countries you may find our local distributors or resellers can offer better shipping rates, or other localized attention that we're still working out.

We will continue to contact folks who've had these problems in an effort to solve them once and for all.

Adam Burch
Cakewalk
UnderTow
Max Output Level: -37 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3848
RE: CAKEWALK - absolutely disgraceful service 2006/09/27 23:03:37 (permalink)
And as you are at it Adam, Can you kick the helpdesk in the back side? They need to respond to emails. Not having a response for three weeks is unacceptable.

UnderTow
post edited by UnderTow - 2006/09/27 23:18:31
ccmacdon
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 250
RE: CAKEWALK - absolutely disgraceful service 2006/09/27 23:12:52 (permalink)
Adam, thank you for taking the time to respond.. I don't believe that this has anything to do with my middle initial because it does not appear on the card. I have subsequently ordered my Sonar upgrade from my local music store, but I would still like to think that this problem will be resolved quickly, because I do want to continue ordering directly from calkwalk for several reasons.. generally it is quicker for new releases (except in this case), often local retailers do not recognize special offers (due I assume to low margins), and last but not least, some products come in download format and you can't get that from a local retailer. SO it is very important that you resolve this problem for myself the obviously large number of customers who are obviously experiencing it. Thanks. Craig

Susan G
  • Total Posts : 12016
RE: CAKEWALK - absolutely disgraceful service 2006/09/27 23:45:55 (permalink)
Hi Adam-

And while you're at it -- I know you have a lot on your plate right now -- but how about letting people make a simple change of address request on your Mailing List Management page?

I had many e-mail exchanges with you, David Ramirez, and Carl Jacobson at CW about mailing list problems dating back several months.

That "OT: Are you getting e-mails from CW?" thread went on and on, and I thought the issue had been resolved, but apparently not, if loyal customers/subscribers like myself are still not getting the latest e-mails from CW.

I don't want to have to go through the whole back-and-forth again with the automated replies about turning off spam filters, etc. I hope CW considers adding a simple COA feature to that page; otherwise, I'll just go back to hearing the latest on the forum when I can. Please do consider (again!) that not every User subscribes to this forum. Some/many rely on direct e-mails from you for the latest offers, and when it turns into an ordeal to subscribe, many just won't bother. You should make it very easy for Users to receive e-mail from you if they want to, IMO.

Thanks-

-Susan

2.30 gigahertz Intel Core i7-3610QM; 16 GB RAM
Windows 10 x64; NI Komplete Audio 6.
SONAR Platinum (Lexington) x64
glazfolk
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5253
RE: CAKEWALK - absolutely disgraceful service 2006/09/27 23:50:50 (permalink)
Adam,

Thanks for sticking your head up over the parapet.

Now that you have, here's an idea to take to board as the Web Store continues to evolve and (hopefully) improve. It's been made by someone on another post but worth repeating.

Every other E-Store I deal with has a page where I can log in and manage my account details like billing address etc - similar in principle in fact to the My Profile page in this forum.

Then when I go back to order each time, I can elect to retrieve all the stored information and have it automatically inserted in my new order.

Just think how many problems that would solve, and how much frustartion and confusio it might avoid.

Best,
Geoff
Susan G
RE: CAKEWALK - absolutely disgraceful service 2006/09/28 00:24:38 (permalink)
Hi Geoff-
Every other E-Store I deal with has a page where I can log in and manage my account details like billing address etc - similar in principle in fact to the My Profile page in this forum.

Then when I go back to order each time, I can elect to retrieve all the stored information and have it automatically inserted in my new order.

My impression after lo these many months is that CW has no direct control over their mailing list or ordering system. Both are kind of a "hit and miss" operation at this point, so I'll wait it out for a few months! If CW can't bother to get something as simple as a mailing list and something as important as an ordering system sorted out, then I'll just wait them out!

Thanks-

-Susan

Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4951
RE: CAKEWALK - absolutely disgraceful service 2006/09/28 00:27:51 (permalink)
i guess i consider myself lucky .. i've been a Sonar customer and user of their online
store for 5 years now ...

all the problems have been my own. admittedly .. i'm in California (and not overseas) ..
but it's just worked for me .. i've never had the "they didn't send me my registration number"
problem either ... S5 #'s showed up before the discs did and i've got my S6 numbers while my
package is somewhere between Londonderry, NH and California....

maybe i should count myself lucky .. but my goodness .. if there were some systemic
problem with their online store .. i'm pretty sure i would have hit it by now .. i've ordered
a lot of sh*t from cake.

jeff

glazfolk
RE: CAKEWALK - absolutely disgraceful service 2006/09/28 00:40:06 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Susan G

Hi Geoff-

My impression after lo these many months is that CW has no direct control over their mailing list or ordering system. Both are kind of a "hit and miss" operation at this point, so I'll wait it out for a few months! If CW can't bother to get something as simple as a mailing list and something as important as an ordering system sorted out, then I'll just wait them out!

Thanks-

-Susan

Hey Susan,

I fel a bit bad about repeating this, because I've said it before, but .... Yes! I'm saying it again I guess because it still frustrates me and baffles me. Mailing lists, e-commerce .... these things aren't exactly cutting edge technology. I honestly and plainly just can't see why after all these years (and it is years now) we keep running into the same old problems over and over again.

Best,
Geoff
Susan G
RE: CAKEWALK - absolutely disgraceful service 2006/09/28 00:55:11 (permalink)
Hi Jeff-
i guess i consider myself lucky .. i've been a Sonar customer and user of their online
store for 5 years now ...

Just to clarify: I've never had a problem receiving an order, either (and I've been a customer since the early DOS days), but whoever they contracted to handle their mailing list is doing an absolutely horrible job, IMO. I refuse to (and don't have the time to) go through the hoops I went through a few months ago just to be put on their darned mailing list! It's up to CW or whoever they hired to maintain this.

I don't really anticipate ordering problems if/when I order S6, but it does give one pause to hear some of these horror stories!

Again, I'm not going to trade e-mails with CW again about whether or not I'm subscribed. Of course I am, and if anyone from CW tells me about spam filters again I just might scream!

It's really not so difficult to maintain a current e-mail list. Lordy, lordy. I can be on a bus tomorrow and show you guys how to set it up by the end of the day. Honest.

-Susan

Susan G
RE: CAKEWALK - absolutely disgraceful service 2006/09/28 01:07:45 (permalink)
Hi Geoff-
Hey Susan,

I fel a bit bad about repeating this, because I've said it before, but .... Yes! I'm saying it again I guess because it still frustrates me and baffles me. Mailing lists, e-commerce .... these things aren't exactly cutting edge technology. I honestly and plainly just can't see why after all these years (and it is years now) we keep running into the same old problems over and over again.

Best,
Geoff

I agree. It makes no sense to me, either. I keep thinking they're locked into a contract with some folks who don't know what they're doing and CW can't get out of it, for whatever reason.

It's almost laughable that after all these months they can't even get their mailing list straight (which is, after all, a sales tool), let alone their on-line store.

Aargh!

- Susan
post edited by Susan G - 2006/09/28 01:32:54

pseudonoise
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 124
RE: CAKEWALK - absolutely disgraceful service 2006/09/28 03:07:26 (permalink)
At least you didn't get told that they would not support your purchase because you orderded it from a vendor from the USA (ala Steinberg). Canadian buyers beware!
setcreative
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 185
RE: CAKEWALK - absolutely disgraceful service 2006/09/28 03:47:31 (permalink)
I have to say, I think the thread title is justified just for the email response issue alone. I'd not had any dealings with Cakewalk since 2004 until a couple of months ago, and the service level has dropped off so far it's not even funny. Emails? Forget it. I don't even know why they bother leaving the contact form exposed, they quite simply don't respond to it. If you're not going to answer it, turn the bloody thing off! And the reported hold times here have put me off even attempting to call if I get any issues, because I'm very much outside the US (=New Zealand) and if I have to call it'll be a) the middle of the night and b) extremely expensive.

I had the same problem with Cake's credit card form, too - sorted by using the method detailed here of, in effect, filling the form in wrong. Changing a few field labels? That's horribly trivial, sorry.

Basically it seems the best way to get any response is to come and stomp and scream on this forum, which is TERRIBLE for Cakewalk because it means that all their other (existing and prospective) customers get to get a bad impression before Cakewalk have even had a chance to talk to the person with the issue. Oops. I'm certainly extremely hesitant to go through all this crap again next year.

Finn Higgins
Set Creative - Music services, education and web solutions
http://www.setcreative.com
Chevalier DAour
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 198
RE: CAKEWALK - absolutely disgraceful service 2006/09/28 07:59:44 (permalink)
As a long time user, I see again and again the same recurrent problems. The product is good but the communication and the service? Fortunately for them, they have a lot of consumers, who protect this compagny, like it was their mother. So, when we want to share our experience about it, we receive disagreeable reply often out of context. Please don't take it personnel. My car is an Hyundai "Tuscon" because the product and the service is very good. your car is (?), because...

Merci pour cet excellent produit qu'est "Sonar".
post edited by Chevalier DAour - 2006/09/28 08:15:51
bermuda
Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2271
RE: CAKEWALK - absolutely disgraceful service 2006/09/28 08:29:23 (permalink)

I have tried very hard to purchase my Sonar 6 Producer Edition upgrade, but I can't get through the credit card authentication process!! Everything is fine with my credit card and the address on my card, so it is clearly a problem with your credit card authorization process, and there are 9 pages of complaints and related comments to prove this point on the forum!! I've sent several emails throughout last week and I have received NO REPLY to any of them. AND WHEN I CALL CUSTOMER SERVICE I HAVE BEEN PUT ON HOLD FOR 10-15 MINUTES EACH TIME (and I've had no alternative but to give up!!)

How do I get some response from you guys.. this is disgraceful... Craig MacDonald

I think there is an issue with some if not all Credit Cards from outside of the US .... I had the same problem..... I followed the below and it worked like a charm.... It's pretty simple. naturally Cakewalk can't say to folks do this for obvious reasons

quote:

ORIGINAL: Adroen

Update: After initially facing the same problem as Lostchord and a lot of other people in this thread, I've successfully placed an order through the webstore.

Now what i'm going to say is what worked for me. It doesn't mean it will solve everyone's problems with this particular error, but it has worked for me so i'm passing on the info in case it helps someone out.

Okay now that the disclaimer is out of the way.

The following post and the info contained within it(thanks Adam) is what got my mind ticking over about how I could make the order succeed. Remember i'd already had two failed attempts that had placed 'holding' amounts on my card, just like other posters have mentioned.(These 'holding' amounts dropped off the system a week later for me, as the Sales Support person I spoke to told me they would...Adam also mentioned in his post about this)
quote:

ORIGINAL: Adam Burch [Cakewalk]

When you click the Submit button in our eStore checkout process it triggers a series of events:

CC Authorization - Our credit card processing service determines whether the funds required for purchase are available on your credit card. If approved, a hold is placed for the purchase amount. You made it successfully through this step.

Address Verification - Our CC processor verifies the billing address you gave us, comparing it to the one on file with your CC company. This is where your transaction was declined. That usually means the Billing Address you supplied doesn't match the one on record with your CC company/bank. Can you verify the address on file with your bank before attempting to order again?

If the Address verification fails, the CC Authorization is voided. Or rather, we send a void request. How quickly your available credit is restored is up to your bank. Some take from 5 to 14 days, but it's usually restored in a few hours.

Now that second point about the Address Verification step was what needed to be worked out for the order to succeed for me. Although it wasn't because i was entering the wrong address information...but because the standard(logical) way of entering information into the billing address form, didn't allow for me to enter the address details in such a way that the CC provider's information matched what I'd entered into the webstore's form. Thus the failures. Now if I was from the US, I don't expect this would happen at all as the billing form provided is set up great for US residents to fill in, but the failure happens with overseas customers because of the state drop down box(for international customers who can't enter a state here and have to enter non-US or canada). It breaks the flow of how the address needs to look when the matching happens between Cakewalk's and the CC provider's servers.

So, luckily I could fix this by not using all of the address fields exactly as they are titled. For example you'll see that I had to use the City field to enter the zip/postal-code below.

Okay, this is how I entered the info.
1. In the name fields/boxes: In the first name field/box I entered my first name and a middle initial, with a space between them...even though it only titles this field/box as a first name field/box. Of course if you don't need to put a middle initial you wouldn't, but I did. In the Last name field/box I used my last name, so exactly as it asks.
2. In the Address fields/boxes: Although normally you'd probably only be putting your street name here for example(I was, as it seemed logical). I had to instead use these 3 fields line by line to enter the Street(1st field/box), City/Town(2nd field/box), and State(3rd field/box)
3. The City field: As I mentioned earlier I had to use this City field/box to enter the zip/postal-code instead of the City. I had already entered the City within the previous step above, so didn't need to use this box for the purpose it's titled as.
4. State drop down box: As I'm not from the US, i had to choose the non-US or Canada option from the list. It shows up as N/A on the billing form summary.
5. Zip/Postal-code: Since something had to be entered here(it is a requirement of the form) I just entered a '-'(hyphen) symbol, as the hyphen symbol is a pretty good way to describe a 'blank' entry when at least one character is needed to be entered. Remember I had entered the zip/postal-code in the City field above, so didn't need to put it here again, thus the need to show it as blank.
6. Country: I chose my country from the drop down box. Nothing special here. Just did as needed for this one.

And that was that, so after I'd entered this, the details were listed in the correct order on the next billing/shipping page summary. In order:
Full Name
Street
City/Town
State
Postcode
N/A
-
Country

Whereas using the fields for international customers as they are named exactly, you'd end up with this, which is the way that was failing for me before, as it's not what the CC provider's details look like, so when cakewalk's servers do the match with the CC provider's details it fails. In order:
Full Name(without a middle initial if it was needed)
Street
City/Town
State not able to be listed specifically('non us or canada' option from the drop down box)
Zip/Postal code
Country

Anyway, my order succeeded by changing the address details the way I decribed. I recieved the 2 e-mails(one containing the receipt, then the other with the registration details etc). 2 days later I recieved a tracking number for DHL, which I have tracked and it's now in the same country(woohoo), but due to the weekend, I won't get it till next week now(doh). I also have a proper itemised charge from cakewalk on the cc as well, whereas the previous holds just dropped like described earlier.

Anyway, i'm not suggesting to follow my advice of course. Just telling you of my experience. I really wanted to take advantage of the upgrade offer, and continute using Sonar, so I had to give it another shot. By the way, I tried out my theory by ordering the mp3 activator first, then as that worked I was able to upgrade Sonar(mp3 activator wasn't as dear to risk getting another wrong 'holding' charge from as Sonar was, and I needed it still anyway hehe)

Cheers guys,
Adroen

Edit: Just thought of this...If the Cakewalk webstore undergoes a programming change in the coming weeks or months(for example they change the way the fields are titled and/or layed out on the billing address form)the way I went about getting a successful transaction through will become obsolete, and so too the info in my post. Just something to think about.
I'd assume though if they do change it, it'll be for the better anyway. That is....international customers will be able to place successful orders by using the default fields as they are listed to be used, instead of using a workaround to get a positive transaction.

Edit number 2: I am from Australia, and so selected 'Worldwide' from the region selection on the webstore, just FYI. Not sure exactly how this affects things, but from Graham's and Portesham's posts below (both of whom have purchased from the UK(selected Europe in region select)) this error didn't affect them, so maybe it does have something to do specifically with the worldwide region?

post edited by bermuda - 2006/09/28 09:05:07

Yes.
Mike Fisher
  • Total Posts : 1374
RE: CAKEWALK - absolutely disgraceful service 2006/09/28 08:55:09 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Susan G

My impression after lo these many months is that CW has no direct control over their mailing list or ordering system. Both are kind of a "hit and miss" operation at this point,...

In a post (which quickly scrolled off the 1st two pages) I made the day I received my upgrade, I noted that I clearly and thoroughly confirmed with Cakewalk...both online and via phone call...that my upgrade would be shipped to me at my business address. They still did it wrong!

This problem has happened with previous orders, so I did everything I could to prevent it to no avail.

By no means do I want to bash Cakewalk. But it reminds me of what a lot of businesses do...they put their least qualified (i.e., lowest paid) people as their first or only contact / interaction with the public. You know how you feel when you try to communicate through a bad receptionist or secretary or you get a bad waitress at a restaurant. It reflects poorly on the entire company and the product(s) they sell.
glazfolk
RE: CAKEWALK - absolutely disgraceful service 2006/09/28 09:20:07 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Mike Fisher
In a post (which quickly scrolled off the 1st two pages) I made the day I received my upgrade, I noted that I clearly and thoroughly confirmed with Cakewalk...both online and via phone call...that my upgrade would be shipped to me at my business address. They still did it wrong!

This problem has happened with previous orders, so I did everything I could to prevent it to no avail.

By no means do I want to bash Cakewalk....

Mike ...

Posts like this are not "Cakewalk bashing" and it's a pity that some people see them as being this. When I worked in Customer Relations (many years ago, for an American company in London), I was taught that we should welcome customer complaimts because they present us with an opportunity to do better.

I would see your comments as very much being in this vein.

Best,
Geoff
Mike Fisher
  • Total Posts : 1374
RE: CAKEWALK - absolutely disgraceful service 2006/09/28 09:37:15 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: glazfolk

Posts like this are not "Cakewalk bashing" and it's a pity that some people see them as being this. When I worked in Customer Relations (many years ago, for an American company in London), I was taught that we should welcome customer complaimts because they present us with an opportunity to do better.

I would see your comments as very much being in this vein.

Thanks Geoff. I agree, it should be taken as constructive criticism.

Although I am somewhat frustrated at my small shipping problem, Cakewalk has done exceptionally well for me through all of the years since my first 2.* DOS version of their sequencer and the various other products I've purchased from them.

I would say that your obvious support of their products and your huge help on the forum also justify your critiques as constructive.

Hopefully, they are listening.
Ian Sutton[Cakewalk]
  • Total Posts : 14
RE: CAKEWALK - absolutely disgraceful service 2006/09/28 10:07:51 (permalink)
Hello Everyone,
I just wanted let everyone here know that all the Customer Service emails that you have sent to us will be answered by this weekend. We've been taking an incredible volume of phone calls as of late and unfortunately our email responses have suffered. Help is on the way though. I understand that our customers outside the US don't want to wait on a non-toll free number for 15 minutes only to be put on hold for another few minutes while we look up your order/information and it's simply much more convenient to write an email. With that in mind we will be launching a different sort of Customer Service Email tool that will allow you to select which country you're from. If you're not from the US, then the email will be handled just like a phone call and dealt with as quickly as we possibly can. We are testing this new tool at present and it should be functioning in less than a week. Thank you all for taking the time to read and to post.

Ian Sutton
glazfolk
RE: CAKEWALK - absolutely disgraceful service 2006/09/28 10:10:41 (permalink)
Ian ...

And thank you for responding!
daverich
Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3418
RE: CAKEWALK - absolutely disgraceful service 2006/09/28 10:13:15 (permalink)
do you not have a skype number yet?

Kind regards

Dave Rich

For Sale - 10.5x7ft Whisperroom recording booth.

http://www.daverichband.com
http://www.soundclick.com/daverich
JohnrC
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 393
RE: CAKEWALK - absolutely disgraceful service 2006/09/28 10:23:39 (permalink)

I have subsequently ordered my Sonar upgrade from my local music store...

Craig, Which store is that? (Roland Canada as distributors didn't have much information when I tried them.)

Thanks.
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1