Helpful ReplyCakewalk Sonar X3 Released 9/28

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
Bajan Blue
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2029
Re: Sonar X3 Producer Upgrade 2013/09/25 12:01:36 (permalink)
I upgraded to X2 but could not / did not want to use it because of the graphical issues - so I have got no value for money on that product. I am still on X1
I don't think too many of the third party stuff in X3 is of much interest to me, as I either have  the full versions (Melodyne  / Addictive for instance) or I have alternatives I am quite happy with.

So US$149 to get X2 to work (hopefully) and perhaps a couple improvements such as ARA and VST3.
And of course if they have rewritten Sonar, the host of new bugs they will have introduced!

So If I buy X3 at another $149 just to get X2 to work properly (which I think was about $100) but when I install X3 I find another load of bugs that Cakewalk then WILL not address until the next paid upgrade........................the merry-go-round continues - me forever paying more and more for Software that is NEVER right.

I think the only way I would even consider X3 is if we had a WRITTEN commitment from Cakewalk / Gibson / Tascam that THEY WILL address and fix bugs free of charge.

I have been with Sonar for over 10 years I think it is now - Guitar Tracks then Sonar 3 - this new upgrade scenario  might just have made my mind up that X2 was a waste of money, X3 another waste of money and for the combined investment I could well have purchased and been learning an alternative. Sad days in my book.

I think if someone / anyone ( and I suppose it is Craig Anderton)  is going to rescue this situation, they really need to address the total foul up that was X2. Perhaps not foul up product wise, but foul up customer relation wise. Lets face it X1 was a bigger mess than X2 on launch, but they DID fix it.

I KNOW some people have no issues with X2, but many people do - some issue are not major, MANY are unrepeatable, but it's these nuisance non repeatable problems that make it a no go in my book.
And someone further back in this thread was surprised at the animosity - I'm not - whilst I won't be chaining myself to the  railings outside Cakewalk Head quarters, my silent protest will probably take the shape of a move away from Cakewalk products. And I bet many have either done this already or are thinking about it.

Mr Andertons challenge will be to rekindle some kind of confidence in Cakewalk products - that X3 will be made to work properly FREE of CHARGE for those who should buy it. If you buy it at the moment there is NO guaratee that you will not be asked to buy it again (as  X4) in a years time to correct the problems that will undoubtedly exist in X3.
Nigel

Nigel
Check out the first single from our new Album, On Top of the World
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTLVCOeTcTc

Check out our latest videos on
http://www.youtube.com/user/DevineLie/videos

Check out our website
www.devinelie.com

Jonbouy
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 22562
Re: Sonar X3 Producer Upgrade 2013/09/25 13:43:46 (permalink)
bitflipper
Even the new guy in this soap opera, Craig Anderton, got attacked as "another empty suit". And he had nothing to do with X1.

Really? I'll have to get out more all I've seen on the subject has been round here and most people seem to be going beyond all sane boundaries of any self-dignity in order to see who can get the brownest nose.

I see Craig as the most likely person to steer a DAW manufacturer into creating what could be one of the most useable DAWs ever given his background of 'How To's' but I'm darned if I'm going to earnestly set about getting the matching face of a two year old minutes after he's been set free with a fine chocolate pudding any time soon...

I must admit though introducing yourself as 'Cheif Magic Officer' seems kind of like sticking your head way too far above the parapet for your own good... Still rather that than someone going round masquerading like he's some regular Sonar using Joe without any vested interests in Cakewalk at all.  That's been my only criticism of him in the past now I kind of see him as being the most likely saviour of the future of Sonar.  There can't be too many people left around these days that want to champion the future of a fully-fledged desktop DAW.
post edited by Jonbouy - 2013/09/25 14:01:15

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
jimusic
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1325
Re: Sonar X3 Producer Upgrade 2013/09/25 14:04:51 (permalink)
...I have been with Sonar for over 10 years I think it is now...- this new upgrade scenario might just have made my mind up that X2 was a waste of money, X3 another waste of money and for the combined investment I could well have purchased and been learning an alternative...

This pretty much echos my sentiments, although I've only been with Cake since Studio 6, so about 5-6-7 years. I've upgraded every time, usually at $99.00, whereby I jumped up to Producer @ 8.5.3 and so on.

I hesitated in getting X1 and when X1'd' came out, like others, I was finally satisfied & relieved.

I also went with X2a - but I too share the many feelings here that Cake dropped the ball on this one, literally punishing the 'faithful' with silence and inactivity, even knowing all too well just how many unhappy customers have been on the forums here - all the while quite comfortable in purposely & consistently ignoring them.

Myself, I have all the Nomad Factory plugs I want as well as Melodyne Editor - not Essential, which I got because Presonus Studio One had an upgrade path that I jumped on, since it was integrated right into their DAW.

In hindsight, I too wish I hadn't bothered with X2, and now consider it a waste of money that I could have spent on what I did recently, which is the full version of Cubase 7.

It already has VST3, and between that and Presonus Studio One and all the plugs I have, these 2 DAWs offer everything I need & more - one of them much much more. In fact, just seeing what Q7 has to offer is simply jaw-dropping! 

So while waiting for the 'silent bakers' to bring X2 'b,c & d', I was enticed by a much better option & so my investment has gone elsewhere.

What dollars I might or could have spent here went to Yamaha/Steinberg instead.

I've never paid full price for a DAW before, always using the LE versions & through the upgrade paths instead.

But paying full for Q7 seemed right and some 3 months later still feels right - even better.

They've done what I feel, [my opinion], Cake could have done, but didn't - which is actually 'listen' to their customer base AND then implement the changes/improvements, complete with now 6 - yup count 'em - 6 updates in only 8-9 months!

So as far as I'm concerned this is almost a 'slap in the face to the faithful' & should be all but 'free' [minus any 3rd party plugins of course] to all those who have been waiting ever so patiently for the 'X2 mess' to be cleaned up but never was. 

I'm with Bit on now being able to use all that I have already - in fact I have even more than I need.

Sorry Cake - but this $149.00 [up from the usual $99.00???] went to a competitor.

In fact, for just $220 more, I got their full DAW version plus their flagship instrument HALion 5 [priced at $349.00 alone].

Great deal for the money. Too good to pass up!

For those who do bite, I sure hope you'll not let them down this time.
Your customers neither deserve nor can tolerate yet another farce.
For the most part, they've been very patient and many seem rather forgiving already from what I've read so far, considering the audacity to be asking for even just $1 more dollar at this point. 
post edited by jimusic - 2013/09/26 11:49:02

dubdisciple
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5849
Re: Sonar X3 Producer Upgrade 2013/09/25 14:28:47 (permalink)
Any upgrade to a DAW as old as Cakewalk is going to include plugins. Longtime audio software users are more likely to have them.  Except for newer products like Studio 1, it is inevitable that many of these plugins are already owned. .  For those who don't, it's still a mixed bag.  I never go by gearslutz reviews and only peak just to get the obligatory negative view.  i have seen extreme views both ways on Nomad Factory Blue series and it usually plays out like this:  1) Plugin sluts who buy everything and claim everything is great rave about how awesome and "warm" they are...until they move on to thenext toy. 2) People who hate everything but the most expensive plugins that are snob fan favorites of the moment.  Yanno, that guy who brags about having 20k worth pof plugins and yet his music still sucks. 3) The guy who bought the bundle dirt cheap and feels the need to tell us all about what a steal he got and how these are even better than some of the bigger names.   Needless to say the truth tends to lie in the middle.  The Nomad Factory plugins are different.  Some will find use for them and others will find them utterly useless.  I like some of the time delay effects and I think the pultec EQ adds nice coloring.  Yes, there are plugins that may be considered better, but they are not bad tools to have in the arsenal.
dcumpian
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4124
Re: Sonar X3 Producer Upgrade 2013/09/25 16:37:55 (permalink)
I bought Sonar 6 but stayed on 5, bought X2 for $49 but have stayed on X1d(e). I missed 8.5 because I didn't have a DAW for a few years. I'll just wait until they have the big sales. When X3 goes on sale, I'll buy, but stay on X1 until I see a reason to install it. I'm mostly still happy with X1 and don't really want to mess around with my DAW. I'd rather turn it on and know it's gonna work...

Regards,
Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: Sonar X3 Producer Upgrade 2013/09/25 23:30:36 (permalink)
I'm waiting, not for the official release but for Noel's traditional under-the-hood blog that usually follows a couple months after the initial chaos has died down. With prior releases, that's where we've gotten the juiciest information.

If you'll recall when 8.5 came out, it too got criticized for adding too many plugins nobody needed. The marketing department didn't think it was worth mentioning the many little usability enhancements that turned out to be the most significant improvements.

Noel has already explained that V-Vocal will still work in X3. Marketing will never mention V-Vocal ever again. Noel has told us that comping will be a vastly improved experience. That's not mentioned in the feature list. He's said that plugin scanning is now transparent and automatic, that the Waves UI flickering has been resolved, that CW now owns the Bitbridge source - all factoids you'll never see in any print ads. 

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Sonar X3 Producer Upgrade 2013/09/25 23:40:59 (permalink)
Bah, nobody cares about that stuff. Do you know if the new tapesim reels spin while the transport is running?
post edited by scook - 2013/09/26 00:17:17
Leadfoot
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2817
Re: Sonar X3 Producer Upgrade 2013/09/26 00:10:06 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby wgdanson 2013/10/22 05:38:10
LOL... I want COLORS!!!!
backwoods
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2571
Re: Sonar X3 Producer Upgrade 2013/09/26 03:16:41 (permalink)
Agree that Noel is a treasure trove of interesting Sonar information. The great thing about it is sometimes when the other Cakewalk guys have put up the cone of silence, Noel stumbles in blissfully unaware and answers stuff straight up. I wonder if the other guys get mad sometimes 

auto_da_fe
Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1866
Re: Sonar X3 Producer Upgrade 2013/09/26 07:14:51 (permalink)
I spent a 120 for me and my wife for a crappy meal the other weekend  (could have done better myself at home for half the price).  Every time me and my family leave the house to do anything it seems to cost a 100.  (Parking, gas, yaddah, yaddah...)

150 is really not that much in my world, so the price is not holding me back. 

My experience with X2 has been pretty good so I am not worried on that front either.  (If as an example X2 was unusable on my rig I would definitely be hesitant...)

Even though I have sleezey drummer and BFD2, addictive drums intrigues me.  A buddy of mine tells me that addictive drums are pretty good (of course it will only include one or 2 stock kits and buttons to buy expanded kits etc.)

Melodyne sounds interesting too.  (f course i myself do not need pitch correction, but I have this friend who sometimes gets pitchy...  )

All in all I am on board and will very likely jump (not too fast) on this upgrade too.  If nothing else I love playing with new plugs and VI.

I have never owned a real gibson before, so this will be a first.  Hopefully X3 is not made from exotic rain forest wood and we cannot take it out of the US.  If Cakewalk relocated to Nashville, they will be closer to me too !

JR

HP DV6T - 2670QM, 8 GB RAM,
Sonar Platypus,  Octa Capture, BFD2 & Jamstix3, Komplete 10 and Komplete Kontrol
Win 10 64 
SLS PS8R Monitors and KRK Ergo
https://soundcloud.com/airportface
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: Sonar X3 Producer Upgrade 2013/09/26 10:42:06 (permalink)
Your buddy is correct: Addictive Drums is pretty good. It may well be the best drum sampler any DAW comes bundled with. Expansion packs are reasonably priced and often on sale. 

It's not a selling point for me, and I expect it's not going to sway many others here, either. New users, though, are getting a good deal, as are old-timers who've been getting by with Session Drummer.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
cclarry
  • Total Posts : 20964
Re: Sonar X3 Producer Upgrade 2013/09/26 14:30:17 (permalink)
Addictive Drums is my favorite Drum program...
And I have them all...

That being said, the fact that they would allow Cake to 
package the full program as an included VSTi says that
AD2 is very near...as that will generate upgrade money
for XLN Audio...and compete with the BFD 3 release.
Where is Superior Drummer 3?  Isn't it time?

There are FREE versions of both Addictive Drums and Addictive
Keys....visit the XLN Website and get 'em....even the free
versions are well worth having..

bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: Sonar X3 Producer Upgrade 2013/09/26 14:52:34 (permalink)
Jonbouy
I see Craig as the most likely person to steer a DAW manufacturer into creating what could be one of the most useable DAWs ever given his background of 'How To's' but I'm darned if I'm going to earnestly set about getting the matching face of a two year old minutes after he's been set free with a fine chocolate pudding any time soon...

About the only other person to best him would be Stephen St. Croix.

Is that brown-nosed enough for you?

Remember I have a pic of me an Craig at NAMM 2013 and it ain't photoshop'd.
post edited by bapu - 2013/09/26 15:09:01
yorolpal
  • Total Posts : 13829
Re: Sonar X3 Producer Upgrade 2013/09/26 15:08:23 (permalink)
I shore do miss ol Stephen St. Croix.  He called em like they was.

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
paulo
Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6218
Re: Sonar X3 Producer Upgrade 2013/09/26 15:27:32 (permalink)
drewfx1
I think I'll wait until CW at least, you know, actually announces it and puts up the web page before passing judgment.

They're always going to throw bundled stuff in to entice more people to upgrade, given that they're only being able to produce so much new code every year. I, like many here, certainly don't lack for plugins, but I also don't have to upgrade if the total package isn't attractive. And the trick for them is to try to make the total package attractive to the largest number of users.

Hey, we don't need any of that reasoned, sensible commenting here - take it somewhere else buddy !! ;)
ampfixer
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5508
Re: Sonar X3 Producer Upgrade 2013/09/26 16:37:10 (permalink)
I'm waiting to hear about take lanes and the audio engine. They are both huge issues that I think need some work. Color customization isn't a selling feature. We had it, they took it and now they're giving it back. Duckbar does that for me today.

I'm still learning all the plugs I already own, so meh, to the bundled plugs. I'd happily pay $149 if they've managed to address some of the meat & potato issues and reduced the random lock ups.

Regards, John 
 I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
Old55
  • Total Posts : 19791
Re: Sonar X3 Producer Upgrade 2013/09/26 17:07:53 (permalink)
I still have to upgrade my hardware in order to fully use X2!  I'll probably do that before I can even think about X3.  I've had a few distractions this year that delayed the hardware upgrade. 

Should auld acquaintance be forgot--hey, who the hell are you guys?  

X2(X3 pending hardware upgrade), Emulator X2, E-mu 1212M, Virtual String Machine
Peter J
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 424
Re: Sonar X3 Producer Upgrade 2013/09/27 17:52:02 (permalink)
MachineClaw

I'm leaning toward Reaper / FL Studio.

I really just want to make noise, not have a bunch of stuff I have to learn workarounds because it's included.

So far reading the specs I'm not that impressed with X3.  guess it's a wait and see.

Hey Claw, I left the farm for awhile and did deep searching. I was *almost* settled on Reaper until I ran into some deal breakers. Don't like the FL Studio paradigm. Mixcraft was too Garage Band-y. Samplitude was too convoluted, Digital Performer was too obtuse. In the end, I came home to S2. Now I'm building a new DAW, *perfect* time for S3!

-Phoen1x

the artist formerly known as Peter J

new music soon from Tightrope Fortune!

The *brand new* Phoen1xDAW:
Core i5 3.3 GHz on Asus P8B75-M
32 GB Mushkin Blackline RAM
(2) Seagate 1 TB HD's
1 GB nVidia Vid
Win 7 Pro SP1
SONAR X3!

My DAW is not cutting edge. It is middle-of-the-blade super bang for the buck! The BAM is in the RAM. ;-|

MachineClaw
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1116
Re: Sonar X3 Producer Upgrade 2013/09/27 18:38:36 (permalink)
Peter J
MachineClaw

I'm leaning toward Reaper / FL Studio.

I really just want to make noise, not have a bunch of stuff I have to learn workarounds because it's included.

So far reading the specs I'm not that impressed with X3.  guess it's a wait and see.

Hey Claw, I left the farm for awhile and did deep searching. I was *almost* settled on Reaper until I ran into some deal breakers. Don't like the FL Studio paradigm. Mixcraft was too Garage Band-y. Samplitude was too convoluted, Digital Performer was too obtuse. In the end, I came home to S2. Now I'm building a new DAW, *perfect* time for S3!

Yeah I'm not really positive about Reaper and FL Studio yet.

maybe *gulp* Cubase 7.

I'm very glad that Sonar X1d works solidly for me and I really don't HAVE to choose anything.  Just feature envy I guess.  Maybe Bitwig will answer all prayers (joking people, really joking).

The more I read the officially unofficial feature information Bakers post I'm more and more inclined to think X3 might be pretty damn cool - IF it works good.

This week I 've been running into hardware PC issues and thinking that it's actually time to invest in a production UBER PC.
ltb
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2707
Re: Sonar X3 Producer Upgrade 2013/09/28 00:21:51 (permalink)
Links are back now up at Sweetwater-
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/search.php?s=SonarX3&Go=Search

Andrew Rossa
Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1910
Re: Sonar X3 Producer Upgrade 2013/09/28 00:25:28 (permalink)
bitflipper

Noel has already explained that V-Vocal will still work in X3. Marketing will never mention V-Vocal ever again. Noel has told us that comping will be a vastly improved experience. That's not mentioned in the feature list. He's said that plugin scanning is now transparent and automatic, that the Waves UI flickering has been resolved, that CW now owns the Bitbridge source - all factoids you'll never see in any print ads. 

I would get fired for marketing a feature that is no longer in the program :)
ltb
Re: Sonar X3 Producer Upgrade 2013/09/28 00:34:16 (permalink)
Sweetwater has Producer upgrade X3 from Producer any version: SALE PRICE $199.00
Is that the correct price or full retail, typo?
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SonarX3PupSP/
post edited by carl - 2013/09/28 00:35:18
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Sonar X3 Producer Upgrade 2013/09/28 00:39:00 (permalink)
ltb
Re: Sonar X3 Producer Upgrade 2013/09/28 10:11:28 (permalink)
cclarry
Re: Sonar X3 Producer Upgrade 2013/09/28 11:13:18 (permalink)
Day of launch and there's ALREADY an X3a....

That's scary...

ltb
Re: Sonar X3 Producer Upgrade 2013/09/28 11:16:39 (permalink)
Nah, last minute revision that didn't make it to disk for release, not too surprising.
cclarry
Re: Sonar X3 Producer Upgrade 2013/09/28 11:23:09 (permalink)
Well, in knowing that this is Cakes FIRST attempt
at VST 3, ARA, and many other things, I'm prone
to believe that the bugs will abound...that's why
I'm not jumping RIGHT on the bandwagon, as I always
have before...

I'm waiting it out, and waiting for sale...$150 is too much (as far as I'm concerned)

ltb
Re: Sonar X3 Producer Upgrade 2013/09/28 11:26:36 (permalink)
cclarry
have before...

I'm waiting it out, and waiting for sale...$150 is too much (as far as I'm concerned)

I hope all the eager beavers are swift enough to remember to backup first before installing a major release.
cclarry
Re: Sonar X3 Producer Upgrade 2013/09/28 11:45:30 (permalink)
carl
cclarry
have before...

I hope all the eager beavers are swift enough to remember to backup first before installing a major release.

ditt
carl
cclarry
have before...

[/quote)

Ditto that....

cclarry
Re: Sonar X3 Producer Upgrade 2013/09/28 11:46:37 (permalink)
What the heck happened there?

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1