Helpful ReplyCakewalk Sonar X3 Released 9/28

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
Bajan Blue
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2029
Re: Sonar X3 Producer Upgrade 2013/09/28 16:56:24 (permalink)
Anyone been brave enough to buy, download and install this yet? Any first impressions - hopefully good but to be more realistic, any problems??

Nigel
Check out the first single from our new Album, On Top of the World
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTLVCOeTcTc

Check out our latest videos on
http://www.youtube.com/user/DevineLie/videos

Check out our website
www.devinelie.com

cclarry
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 20964
Re: Sonar X3 Producer Upgrade 2013/09/28 17:41:54 (permalink)
Bajan Blue
Anyone been brave enough to buy, download and install this yet? Any first impressions - hopefully good but to be more realistic, any problems??

Go upstairs to the X-Series Forum (renamed)...there are a few reports coming in..

cclarry
Re: Sonar X3 Producer Upgrade 2013/09/28 17:42:54 (permalink)
I'm on the WAIT FOR A SALE AND DEBUGGING LIST...

Dave Modisette
  • Total Posts : 11050
Re: Sonar X3 Producer Upgrade 2013/09/29 19:43:29 (permalink)
First impressions from someone who has other DAW software to compare it to is "meh."  If you are a "SONAR only" kind of guy that doesn't have very many 3rd party plugins, you are likely to be thrilled.   But comparing core features to core features, I think that after this wild weekend with the hot new product of  week, I'll end up going home to old faithful.  

I missed reading that the Nomad plugins are locked to X3.  I don't know about Addictive Drums because I didn't bother to install it.  I've got more drums than I know what to do with.  I suppose that at some point I'll get to use the Nomad plugins when I work with a client that has SONAR X3 and wants to do some of his own work on his project.  Otherwise, I'll be using Studio One.

I'm a pretty generous guy by nature so the money spent helping to keep an American software company going is well spent.  I had a good time trying out things and seeing where the improvements are (and there are definite improvements.)  But if you are a user of another product and you have a lot of 3rd party plugins and you want to see if the grass is greener or you've been away thinking maybe it's time to come back home to Sonar - you might save your money.

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
My music.
... And of course, the Facebook page. 
Bajan Blue
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2029
Re: Sonar X3 Producer Upgrade 2013/09/30 09:18:17 (permalink)
Hi Dave
My main interest in X3 would only be core improvements  - I have X2 but do not / cannot use it because of the graphical weirdness and the non repeatable bugs. So I went back to X1.
I would have to go the $149 upgrade path, but I have to say this does seem a bit steep to me just to get X2 to work properly. I do not need any of the included plugins etc as I either have them or alternatives I prefer.
I have been following the various comments made by the Cakewalk Staff, and I think it's petty clear X2 is finished as regards to any idea of a patch to fix the problems.
So my decision is further investment in X3 or put that money towards an alternative - I used to be a Cubase user and would never willingly want to have anything to do with that company ever again, so I have been considering Studio One - I know you are a user - do you really refer Studio One over X3? Has X3 made you change anything about how you consider Studio One?
Cheers
Nigel

Nigel
Check out the first single from our new Album, On Top of the World
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTLVCOeTcTc

Check out our latest videos on
http://www.youtube.com/user/DevineLie/videos

Check out our website
www.devinelie.com

cclarry
Re: Sonar X3 Producer Upgrade 2013/09/30 09:41:27 (permalink)
Nigel,

You can get all the CORE functionality in the Studio Upgrade...

You lose the Tap Sim
You lose AD
You lose the "Flyout" Quad Curve (which I want)
and a few minor things...

for $99...

Personally, I'm waiting for the bugs to clear and a sale...

Starise
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7563
Re: Sonar X3 Producer Upgrade 2013/09/30 09:55:39 (permalink)
 I'm thinking I'll go ahead and jump in on this one within the next day or so. I like anything that will enhance my workflow and make working faster and better.

The take lanes and color customisations go a long way towards making this a better experience. I've never owned a Nomad factory plug-in so I am interested to add these to my arsenal.  I already have melodyne and now working with it in Sonar will be a cinch. I was never sold on V-vocal. IMO Melodyne is miles ahead. I have BFD 2 along with additional kits but addictive drums might fill a slot the others can't. I'm glad I never bought it. This tells me it might be a good idea to wait until after a major release when considering a purchase. I'm not at the point yet where I have too many drums. I can't wait to give addictive a spin. The tape simm looks interesting. I have a one that is older 32 bit. So adding an updated simm will work good for me.

I have kept every version since X-1 on the same computer. I will do the same with X3. If there are problems I can always revert back to X2a. I don't expect there to be any major problems though.

Cakewalk has treated loyal customers well by offering great upgrade prices. I'm not opposed to paying the upgrade price. I think that jumping into the game and then paying periodic upgrades is the way to go. If you're considering buying X3 as a newbe the price is steeper but then you're also in the game from now on. Most DAWS have a steeper cost of admission to new users. For 150.00 dollars I think we get a lot of bang for the buck. Many of the things that generated discontent and long post counts have been addressed. It's getting to the point where all anyone will be able to say is, " I like so and so better because it is just different and I like that kind of different better". No longer will a person be able to make a legitimate complaint based on lack of feature sets as compared to anyone else.

I had a lot of 32 bit plug-ins I liked to use in my 64 bit machine but it's now getting to the point where I don't even look at them, I mean, the offerings are pretty good with the PC and the other plugs that even a guy who has a lot of plugs might not need them if everything is already in the tool box and within easy reach. I'm not a plug-in snob so YMMV.

Hats of to the Cakewalk team on what looks to be a very large step forward in making Sonar an even stronger contender in the DAW market than it already was.! Thanks guys, the hard work is showing!

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
 CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

Dave Modisette
  • Total Posts : 11050
Re: Sonar X3 Producer Upgrade 2013/09/30 10:43:14 (permalink)
Bajan Blue
Hi Dave
My main interest in X3 would only be core improvements  - I have X2 but do not / cannot use it because of the graphical weirdness and the non repeatable bugs. So I went back to X1.
I would have to go the $149 upgrade path, but I have to say this does seem a bit steep to me just to get X2 to work properly. I do not need any of the included plugins etc as I either have them or alternatives I prefer.
I have been following the various comments made by the Cakewalk Staff, and I think it's petty clear X2 is finished as regards to any idea of a patch to fix the problems.
So my decision is further investment in X3 or put that money towards an alternative - I used to be a Cubase user and would never willingly want to have anything to do with that company ever again, so I have been considering Studio One - I know you are a user - do you really refer Studio One over X3? Has X3 made you change anything about how you consider Studio One?
Cheers
Nigel

Do I prefer S1 over X3?  Yes, but I don't want to.  It's just so much more streamlined.  I mean, you can drag a plugin from the S1 browser and drop it in an empty spot in a send area and it creates a send and a bus for the plugin with one move.  If you have an insert bin with a series of plugins, you can drag them into the browser and a plugin chain is created with one move.  There are more things like that where the process only takes a mouse click and a key stroke or less.  And you can do it with the play engine running and you won't hear a glitch.

At first I was jazzed about X3 but after a while I noticed that the same things that irritated me about X2, X1 8.5 (and so on) are still there.  But if you are a "set in stone" SONAR user without a lot of 3rd party plugins, you'll be thrilled with X3.  ( I do like X3 better than X2.)

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
My music.
... And of course, the Facebook page. 
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1