Cakewalk breaks P5 silence

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Prevalence
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 719
RE: Cakewalk breaks P5 silence 2008/10/02 07:00:49 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Rosco

the least they can do is update it with multi core support. I know I would be willing to pay up for this one thing.

+1

Rosco

+1

Paul

Best Regards, Paul
Music at: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=754343

~~~ Album 'ElectroStatique' (Feat. Anya) now available from:-
iTunes, Rhapsody, HMW, 7Digital, emusic, Napster and several other outlets ~~~
BremenCole
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 128
RE: Cakewalk breaks P5 silence 2008/10/02 16:34:41 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ATS

the least they can do is update it with multi core support. I know I would be willing to pay up for this one thing.

+1 for me as well, as I have said over and over that is a HUGE deal. Even though I have (mostly) moved to Cubase, I would still PAY for an update that did nothing but add multi-core support. I would do that because that would make P5 a modern host. As it is , it is coded for 2005 computers, and loosing ground fast. New and more powerful VSTi's need a host that is multi-core friendly, and sadly P5 is stuck in the past.

That upgrade will never come. P5 is coded different than Sonar, so they can't simply plug in the code from Sonar into P5. So it would mean a re-write of the majority of the P5 code. It is simply not worth the effort for Cake to do it. Poor sales and that issue is the reason for the end of P5 development IMHO.

On the other hand.... what keeps P5 alive for me (other than I love the workflow) is a simple right click on a track and choosing "render to track" is so dead simple! If I have a major hog track (say a complex pad in Bio Hazard) if (big if) I am done with that part I simply apply that quick and easy render and the hog is gone. And for the record I hate freeze and refuse to use it in any host. Freeze (for the most part) is a cheat to get around poor coding or to enable older computers to run instruments 3+ years newer than they are...

Anyway.... sorry, I got a bit worked up :)

Just don't get X1 
bulls hit
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 822
RE: Cakewalk breaks P5 silence 2008/10/02 20:42:39 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Trusty

ORIGINAL: agincourtdb

I'm certainly not optimistic. But neither am I pessimistic. I'm not making any assumptions. Assumptions are the problem.

Cakewalk's disengagement from this forum is an even bigger one.

Their disengagement is a direct result of having no firm plans, which means no plans at all.

But it's not in CW's interest to come here & say as much. Rest assured if they did have plans, hints would be dropped and teasers released.

It's the same in the GT forum. The current version was last updated in 2003. There's been no Cakewalk engagement in that forum since the Johnson administration
Digital Aura
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5118
RE: Cakewalk breaks P5 silence 2008/10/02 23:00:53 (permalink)
+1
ATS
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 877
RE: Cakewalk breaks P5 silence 2008/10/02 23:01:14 (permalink)
This is seriously sad. I have tried pretty much every other host out there and this is the only one I really like. I am kind if stuck using it even though no multi core support. I guess I will have to hope for an update one day or hope to find something similar that has it. It isn't a deal breaker yet but like others said, the new instruments are using a lt of cpu power, look at omnisphere, that thing takes a lot of resources.
maxthecat
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 647
RE: Cakewalk breaks P5 silence 2008/10/06 19:40:29 (permalink)
Oh well, doesn't appear that anything is set in stone on this one. But whatever, P5 is still my swiss army knife of sequencers. I'm still finding new ways to use it in conjunction with Sonar 7 PE and Sony Sound Forge 9 and as a standalone program. Even if they make zero changes it's still a great program!
Malevol3nt
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 155
RE: Cakewalk breaks P5 silence 2008/10/07 13:14:00 (permalink)
But isn't the old saying something like "There's allways a silence before the storm"?

Who knows.. maybe the storm is coming
Jonbouy
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 22562
RE: Cakewalk breaks P5 silence 2008/10/07 14:32:13 (permalink)
What you guys do here is impressive enough to be tempting me to go out and get P5 regardless of any future schedule for it.

I mean if you are getting the great results and enjoy working with it anyway why worry? I've got a few apps where I've diligently followed the upgrade path but lost the great workflow I used to have with older incarnations. For example I'll still go to Photoshop 4 for many tasks and have the job done while CS3 would still be loading.

The other things when I have upgraded hardware I still have a fully functioning system that I am setting aside for the new machine which is kinda frozen in time and doesn't need upgrading because everything on it I've got working nicely over time and have a great workflow on it as well as another networked 'system'. So its still capable of doing what I wanted from it.

Upgraded software doesn't always mean better software and it may well be in a few years time having the latest must have software and hardware that plenty here will be saying 'Ya know I miss that ol' P5 way of doing things and some of the stuff I'm creating now just sucks in comparison'.

I know that scenario has occurred to me with several packages (instruments, car or even women for that matter...) where I've diligently upgraded to the 'latest' which has quite often been short of the 'greatest'.

If its working now it'll work in 10 years time, if you still have a use for it.

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
VaporCom
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 169
RE: Cakewalk breaks P5 silence 2008/10/07 14:32:45 (permalink)
It appears the storm has been downgraded to a depression.
rcross
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 252
RE: Cakewalk breaks P5 silence 2008/10/07 17:36:41 (permalink)
I doubt that the silence is because of bakers working on the next P5 version.

Cakewalk Pro suite is silently gone too...

I just wish they would be a little more upfront with the info.

--rC--
inmazevo
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3276
RE: Cakewalk breaks P5 silence 2008/10/07 18:00:18 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: maxthecat
Oh well, doesn't appear that anything is set in stone on this one. But whatever, P5 is still my swiss army knife of sequencers. I'm still finding new ways to use it in conjunction with Sonar 7 PE and Sony Sound Forge 9 and as a standalone program. Even if they make zero changes it's still a great program!

I generally agree, with one caveat that's starting to matter (actually, one caveat with an 'a' and 'b'):
a) it's getting out of sync with current plugins, and will continue to do so... with an app that's SO very useful for running virtual instruments, being only single-core capable means that as the world rapidly advances toward being 100% multicore, all the virtual instruments will too, and they'll get heavier, and P5's capabilities will diminish. Over time, without further core-usage work, it will fade out of the picture of usability for one of its core strengths.
b) the operating system world will keep marching on... meaning: you won't be on XP or Vista forever, and even Vista might get a service pack at some point that hinders functionality. Without continual development where operating system compatibility is concerned, it might not simply fade... it might not even work.

During my recent studio cleanup (which I started at the beginning of this year and very recently completed), I weighed my software as to what to keep, and what to not, and what to redefine.
Sonar I kept.
Live I kept.
Logic Pro I kept.
I got rid of a bunch of other stuff.
P5 was the most difficult one to deal with, though, for the reasons listed above. I want to keep using it, since I like it, but I don't want full-on projects invested in it, knowing that I might have to go through a "conversion" period later on to a host that still works (at that future time). Earlier this year, I converted a bunch of old songs (100 of them) from an old format over to Sonar, and it was NOT fun.
So, I redefined it to being a midi composition/mangling/editing tool. It works great for that, and everything I do with it now, I can keep without much or any conversion in the future. But... I don't do P5 projects for the purpose of writing songs anymore.

I don't know if it's a dead app or not.
And, using Logic Pro's recent revival as a template: it's entirely possible that even with huge gaps in development, an app can come back from supposed dead.

But it's hard to justify too much project time with it, and now quite impossible for me to recommend to anybody with plans on growing their studio over time... even @ $49, or whatever it costs now.

Sad, really, but that's software.

- zevo
post edited by inmazevo - 2008/10/07 18:06:23
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1