Helpful ReplyCakewalk should unlock all Cakewalk VSTs

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
cparmerlee
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1153
Re: Cakewalk should unlock all Cakewalk VSTs 2017/12/06 18:13:17 (permalink)
pwalpwal
anything offered by gibson/cakewalk now will only slow the closure, and which dev will do the unlock coding? personally i'm not expecting anything that they're not legally obliged to do

I don't disagree with you.  This is the reality.  And this tells me one of two things:
Either A) the people in charge at Gibson  are incredibly short-sighted, considering that how they treat SONAR customers is a reflection on their remaining brands; or
B) Gibson at large is in a serious crisis of its own, which is why the Cakewalk closure came so suddenly.

I think it is B).  It is a shame, however because unlocking these features really would help some people smooth their path to another DAW.

DAW: SONAR Platinum Audio I/F: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 gen2
OS: Windows 10 64-bit CPU: Haswell 4790 4.0 GHz, 4 core, 8 thread  Memory: 16 GB      Video: GTX-760Ti
Storage: Sandisk SSD 500GB for active projects. ReadyNAS 20 TB for long-term storage

sonocrafters.com
Joe_A
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 458
Re: Cakewalk should unlock all Cakewalk VSTs 2017/12/06 18:16:44 (permalink)
cparmerlee
pwalpwal
anything offered by gibson/cakewalk now will only slow the closure, and which dev will do the unlock coding? personally i'm not expecting anything that they're not legally obliged to do

I don't disagree with you.  This is the reality.  And this tells me one of two things:
Either A) the people in charge at Gibson  are incredibly short-sighted, considering that how they treat SONAR customers is a reflection on their remaining brands; or
B) Gibson at large is in a serious crisis of its own, which is why the Cakewalk closure came so suddenly.

I think it is B).  It is a shame, however because unlocking these features really would help some people smooth their path to another DAW.

I agree with both. Gibson isn't going to help much IMHO.

jambrose@cfl.rr.com  Sonar Plat. Lifetime. Started in Sonar 4, each through 8.5.3PE.
Scarlett 18i202nd gen., Edirol FA-101, M-Audio Firewire 410, AMD Phenom II 1045T six core processor, 8GB DDR3, AMD Radeon HD 6450, dual displays, 1.5 TB SATA HD, USB 2, Firewire 1394A, 1394B, 18/22 mixer, EV Q-66, Yamaha HS50M monitors, few guitars, Fender Cybertwin SE, Fender Cyber foot controller, Boss RC20-XL, misc pedals, etc. Win Home Prem 64 bit.
pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: Cakewalk should unlock all Cakewalk VSTs 2017/12/06 18:24:57 (permalink)
azslow3
pwalpwal
azslow3
Cakewalk has already declared that in case they stop servers, they will issue not expiring offline installer. That close the question about Sonar itself.

weeellllll not officially, only noel in a forum post? or as there been an official (from cake or gib) statement about this i missed?

https://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Knowledge-Base/2016000087/Gibson-Cakewalk-Announcement-FAQ
That is not on forum and Noel is the only person who can write official Cakewalk statements.
May be you want personal letter from Henry? I guess that will cost you more than you have paid for Sonar in total (I mean his salary per minute, to write the letter  )

my bad

just a sec

SandlinJohn
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 188
Re: Cakewalk should unlock all Cakewalk VSTs 2017/12/06 21:22:36 (permalink)
dappa1
Why keep flogging a dead horse. Move on life is too short to hold on to a horse that won't ride. Cos it is dead.

pwalpwal

dappa1: You know, you really need to move on now. You aren't actually helping anyone by beating this dead horse of yours, trying to shoo everyone intent of getting value from SONAR away. It is unlikely that Gibson will unlock the VSTs, but they certainly won't if no one asks them to.

pwalpwal
azslow3
Cakewalk has already declared that in case they stop servers, they will issue not expiring offline installer. That close the question about Sonar itself.

weeellllll not officially, only noel in a forum post? or as there been an official (from cake or gib) statement about this i missed?

So the FAQ isn't official?  http://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Knowledge-Base/2016000087/Gibson-Cakewalk-Announcement-FAQ

That has been up for several days now.

Sonar Platinum, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, Intel NUC micro-workstation with 5th Gen Intel i5-5250U, 16 GB RAM and 1.25 TB Storage, Yamaha MG10XU Mixer USB Interface, Yamaha HPH-MT8 Monitor Headphones, Yamaha MX-49 controller synth
iRelevant
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 430
Re: Cakewalk should unlock all Cakewalk VSTs 2017/12/09 04:08:11 (permalink)
<snip>
paul jenkins
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 346
Re: Cakewalk should unlock all Cakewalk VSTs 2017/12/10 13:36:47 (permalink)
cparmerlee
looneymusic
What is the rush from everyone to "move on" from Sonar?

Personally, I am not going to create any new projects in SONAR because I don't know how long it will keep working.  I have the full version of StudioOne, and I'll simply start using that for everything as I continue to look at other DAWs.

I am sure we al have dozens hundreds, or even thousands of SONAR projects.  There will come a day when you cannot open these.  There are probably 25 of those where I will want to carry them forward into another DAW, so over time I guess I will manually pull the MIDI from SONAR and build it into another DAW.  I can re-mix using the tools in whatever DAW I use, but I don't want to lose that MIDI.

Yawn

Windows 10, 64 bit, intel core i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHZ  2.59GHZ......12 gig ram ....Sonar lifetime updates, presonus audiobox 1818 interface, and beringer UFX1604 mixer interface/control surface...... All round musician, multi-instrumentalist/songwriter.....attempting to produce good music.....started on music creator 6 2014, bought sonar 2015....and now invested in lifetime updates......Learning always!!!!Thanx cakewalk and online forum
kevmsmith81
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 259
Re: Cakewalk should unlock all Cakewalk VSTs 2017/12/10 15:49:34 (permalink)
looneymusic
monleo2014

...I still like Cakewalk but with no development and upgrades I unfortunately must move on.

I'm curious... What is the rush from everyone to "move on" from Sonar? If you have a working DAW with hardware in good condition, simply "freeze" your OS/Software installs in place, take a backup image of your install drive, and go on with your day. Whatever version of Sonar that you own will continue to work so long as you have hardware and an OS that can run it... There is no reason to update a working install of Windows on a DAW, (which can cause issues), or rush out to get a new DAW tommorow...

Some people, and this includes hobbyists like me, have their DAW installed on their main/only computer, therefore would prefer to keep their OS updated with the latest security fixes.  This is where the rush comes in, even though in an ideal world I'd just stick with SONAR. Aside from the issues of updates, despite what Gibson have said, there's no guarantee that the Cake servers won't be taken offline, thus rendering all of our licenses and authorisations useless meaning we can't use the software we've paid for. 
SandlinJohn
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 188
Re: Cakewalk should unlock all Cakewalk VSTs 2017/12/10 18:23:16 (permalink)
kevmsmith81
Some people, and this includes hobbyists like me, have their DAW installed on their main/only computer, therefore would prefer to keep their OS updated with the latest security fixes.  This is where the rush comes in, even though in an ideal world I'd just stick with SONAR. Aside from the issues of updates, despite what Gibson have said, there's no guarantee that the Cake servers won't be taken offline, thus rendering all of our licenses and authorisations useless meaning we can't use the software we've paid for. 

I just finished turning an i5 Intel NUC into my DAW system. It is similar in concept to the TASCAM Track Factory. I put Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit on it (For Stability), 16 GB of memory, 250 GB SSD and 1 TB main storage where I also keep the System Image for a quick return to "Known Good". Of course I installed SONAR Platinum. I still need to get a proper USB Audio interface for it and a monitor. 

Sonar Platinum, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, Intel NUC micro-workstation with 5th Gen Intel i5-5250U, 16 GB RAM and 1.25 TB Storage, Yamaha MG10XU Mixer USB Interface, Yamaha HPH-MT8 Monitor Headphones, Yamaha MX-49 controller synth
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1