Can I prevent Sonar from deleting my plugins (in the FX bin) when i hit the delete key?

Author
djserg
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 34
2016/02/09 12:09:47 (permalink)

Can I prevent Sonar from deleting my plugins (in the FX bin) when i hit the delete key?

I noticed with Sonar Platinum, (when i press the delete key) that i'm accidentally deleting plugins (and all the settings I programmed) from the FX bin- when i'm actually trying to delete a clip. I've been doing this for years and have never deleted a plugin before. The worse part, is that I usually don't notice until i've save the project and i'm listening to the mixdown. Then I scream "WHERE'S MY DELAY!!!!!" I checked the key commands. I didn't find it, but i could easily have missed something.

If anyone knows a fix, I WOULD APPRECIATE IT SO MUCH!!!!
If this is a new feature, i would love to get an on/off function so I can disable delete fx with "delete" shortcut.

24 Replies Related Threads

scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Can I prevent Sonar from deleting my plugins (in the FX bin) when i hit the delete key 2016/02/09 12:32:03 (permalink)
    I do not believe it is possible to exempt a particular object from deletion. The delete key deletes whatever has focus.
    Beepster
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 18001
    Re: Can I prevent Sonar from deleting my plugins (in the FX bin) when i hit the delete key 2016/02/09 12:45:27 (permalink)
    I've never had this happen. The only way to use the Delete key to delete a plug is if you selected the plug right before hitting delete. Selecting the clip should move the slection (and thus the delete command) away from the plug. I'm not even sure if holding Ctrl after selecting the plug then selecting the clip and THEN hitting delete would cause this.

Something weird is going on here.
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Can I prevent Sonar from deleting my plugins (in the FX bin) when i hit the delete key 2016/02/09 12:57:00 (permalink)
    Actively selecting the clip after selecting a plug-in moves the focus from the plug-in to the clip. Reverse the order and if one is in the habit of closing the plug-in UI, there is no way to tell the plug-in still has focus. A clip still shows it is selected but the focus shifted to the plug-in. The delete key is active for the plug-in. I believe that is the complaint.
    Beepster
    Re: Can I prevent Sonar from deleting my plugins (in the FX bin) when i hit the delete key 2016/02/09 14:33:31 (permalink)
    So...

Select Clip +
    Select Plugin
    =
    Clip retains focus/selection as well as the plugin

User futzes with plugin (and maybe closes the plugin window).
    Clip is still selected so user deletes clip.
    Plugin turns into collateral damage from the delete.

I guess I can see that but I always double check my selections when doing any editing moves, especially a Delete action.

In fact I am OBSESSIVE with the Ctrl + Shift + A function (Deselect All) before making any kind of data selections and edits. I do that specifically to ensure I'm not altering/baleeting things offscreen or other stuff I am not aware is still selected. I had a HUGE problem with that when I first got going and of course Sonar's complex Selection/In Focus schemes can lead to all sorts of wackiness if one is not aware.

So my best answer...

Ctral + Shift + A... even when you think you don't need to. Just do it. All the time. Before EVERY selection. Then do it again and select again if there is a hint of doubt about what is selected.

If you are about to Delete something... do that like 10 freaking times if necessary.

I do.

/bumble thumbed spazzo
    PhilW
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 103
    Re: Can I prevent Sonar from deleting my plugins (in the FX bin) when i hit the delete key 2016/02/09 15:32:44 (permalink)
    I agree - I've done this and it's a pain. It's not clear (at least to me) why the plugin even has focus.  Select a section of a track, hit delete and the plugin disappears. It should be clear from the context of selecting a clip area that Delete should apply to the clip, not the plugin.

[UI Whine of the day: It seems bizarre to me that when you select the Punch In start value in the Punch module and then hit Tab it starts tabbing the position in a clip in the Track view. For typing in Punch in/out when your fingers are already on the keyboard it would seem more friendly for the cursor to tab to the punch out field to enter the end  value.]
    John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    Re: Can I prevent Sonar from deleting my plugins (in the FX bin) when i hit the delete key 2016/02/09 16:13:47 (permalink)
    Are you using the mouse or keyboard to select clips? I tried to reproduce this and couldn't. The FX stayed in the FX bin and the clip was deleted. I recorded to clips one was a piano the other drums. Each 4 or 5 measures long. I selected the clip using the mouse. I used the delete key to delete. 

Best
    John
    Beepster
    Re: Can I prevent Sonar from deleting my plugins (in the FX bin) when i hit the delete key 2016/02/09 16:32:35 (permalink)
    Yes. Exact repro steps would be great. As I said... never been nailed by this one and it really sounds like something I would do.
    bitman
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4105
    Re: Can I prevent Sonar from deleting my plugins (in the FX bin) when i hit the delete key 2016/02/09 17:47:29 (permalink)
    I have done this.
    A Quick Ctrl-Z will make it as if it never happened. Settings and all iir.

I think in the case of a plugin there should be a "Are you Sure" dialog with [ ] don't show this again option.
    djserg
    Re: Can I prevent Sonar from deleting my plugins (in the FX bin) when i hit the delete key 2016/02/09 18:19:45 (permalink)
    Hey Guys,

Thanks for your feedback and questions. So, this happens 2 ways for me.

Version 1 (the most common as i love the lasso feature):
    I click the plugin in the fx bin, change settings, and close the plugin window.
    I select one or more clips, by using the right click lasso feature. 
    Press the delete key. Plugin gone!!

Version 2.
    I select a clip first.
    I click the plugin in the fx bin, change settings, and close the plugin window.
    Press the delete key. Plugin AND Clip are both gone!!

I don't see why this delete shortcut even works on a plugin in the fx bin. Because once you click on the plugin, the plugin window opens, which needs to be closed to allow you to press delete. So that's a click, a close window click and a press delete (3 steps). The only way I have ever deleted a plugin (on purpose) is with the right click/or pull down= 2 quick clicks.

Thanks guys.

icontakt
    Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4266
    Re: Can I prevent Sonar from deleting my plugins (in the FX bin) when i hit the delete key 2016/02/11 07:48:10 (permalink)
    I'm a heavy lasso-select user and have encountered the very issue a few times in the past. So, it's not a new behavior.
    Unfortunately, you can only guess that the focus is still on the FX bin when the clip didn't get deleted and hit undo to bring back the plugin. I know, it shouldn't happen in the first place, but I don't think the behavior will change in the next.....few years, at least.

I frequently use the right-hand lasso even when I only need to select a single clip. This is because, with the left click, my hand could easily slip a bit and move the position of the clip a very little without noticing it. You might think that I should use the Lock Clip Position feature, but it not only locks the clip position but also disables the Nudge feature (which I want to use to  nudge note events up/down in the clip) and also CAL commands (which I want to use to change velocity values, etc.)
    It's an officially confirmed bug.

Tak T.

Primary Laptop: Core i7-4710MQ CPU, 16GB RAM, 7200RPM HDD, Windows 7 Home Premium OS (Japanese) x64 SP1
    Secondary Laptop: Core2 Duo CPU, 8GB RAM, 7200RPM HDD, Windows 7 Professional OS (Japanese) x64 SP1
    Audio Interface: iD14 (ASIO)
    Keyboard Controller/MIDI Interface: A-800PRO
    DAW: SONAR Platinum x64 (latest update installed)
    djserg
    Re: Can I prevent Sonar from deleting my plugins (in the FX bin) when i hit the delete key 2016/02/11 17:57:42 (permalink)
    Hey Tak T,

Ok, now it's all becoming clear. Since I started using right-hand lasso (about 2 years now), I no longer move clips by accident. (So like you Tak T, I also use it exclusively to select a clip). And that's when I started accidentally deleting plugins (but without knowing how or why). Thanks to this forum and to everyone who has provided feedback, I've already caught it a few times and I'm able to undo (control+z) my way back. I really do hope there's a fix someday. As sometimes (by the time i figure out the plug is gone), it's too late to undo.

So here's a helpful hint for anyone who might run into this problem:
    If you lasso a clip (or clips) and you press the "delete" key, and the clip does not delete- THEN you've just deleted a plugin. So press "Control+Z" and then left click anywhere in the trackview (this deselects the plugin). Now you can lasso any clips and delete away.

Thanks again to everyone, this has been a tremendous help to me.

Serg

Paul P
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2685
    Re: Can I prevent Sonar from deleting my plugins (in the FX bin) when i hit the delete key 2016/02/11 23:39:21 (permalink)

So a clip is selected, then you open and close a plugin, and then expect the selected clip to delete if you hit delete.  I don't feel that this is a natural assumption since any number of things may have happened since selecting the clip.  Reproducing this problem, I wasn't surpised the clip doesn't delete, and I can understand the plugin disappearing since it's the last thing that was clicked on (though I agree it may disappear without your noticing).

Deselecting the clip when you click on something else would make sense to me.  It's odd that this doesn't already happen.

Sonar Platinum [2017.10], Win7U x64 sp1, Xeon E5-1620 3.6 GHz, Asus P9X79WS, 16 GB ECC, 128gb SSD, HD7950, Mackie Blackjack
    stevec
    • Total Posts : 11546
    Re: Can I prevent Sonar from deleting my plugins (in the FX bin) when i hit the delete key 2016/02/12 21:58:52 (permalink)
    djserg
    ...If you lasso a clip (or clips) and you press the "delete" key, and the clip does not delete- THEN you've just deleted a plugin.

I'm not sure how you could literally select a clip, press the Delete key, and not have the clip deleted. 
    Unless as Paul stated there are other steps used in between...?

SteveC
    https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
    Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
    Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

icontakt
    Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4266
    Re: Can I prevent Sonar from deleting my plugins (in the FX bin) when i hit the delete key 2016/02/13 05:25:47 (permalink)
    @Paul & Steve:

You can easily reproduce this, regardless of track type (audio/MIDI):

1. In the Track view, click an effect in the FX Rack. This will open the plugin window.
    2. Lasso-select any clip in the Clips pane.
    3. Hit Delete.

The effect in the FX Rack and the effect's property page disappear (get deleted) from the project.

Tak T.

Primary Laptop: Core i7-4710MQ CPU, 16GB RAM, 7200RPM HDD, Windows 7 Home Premium OS (Japanese) x64 SP1
    Secondary Laptop: Core2 Duo CPU, 8GB RAM, 7200RPM HDD, Windows 7 Professional OS (Japanese) x64 SP1
    Audio Interface: iD14 (ASIO)
    Keyboard Controller/MIDI Interface: A-800PRO
    DAW: SONAR Platinum x64 (latest update installed)
    mudgel
    • Total Posts : 12010
    Re: Can I prevent Sonar from deleting my plugins (in the FX bin) when i hit the delete key 2016/02/13 08:49:05 (permalink)
    I think using the right mouse button to open a context menu doesn't place the underlying clip in focus thus leaving the previously edited plugin still in focus, hence the delete plugin not clip delete.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    mettelus
    Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5321
    Re: Can I prevent Sonar from deleting my plugins (in the FX bin) when i hit the delete key 2016/02/13 08:57:40 (permalink)
    It is not for a context menu but rather a lasso to select the clip (intent to shift focus, but doesn't take). Try what TakT posted and you will see.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
    Paul P
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2685
    Re: Can I prevent Sonar from deleting my plugins (in the FX bin) when i hit the delete key 2016/02/13 15:16:30 (permalink)
    icontakt
    1. In the Track view, click an effect in the FX Rack. This will open the plugin window.
    2. Lasso-select any clip in the Clips pane.
    3. Hit Delete.

The effect in the FX Rack and the effect's property page disappear (get deleted) from the project.

It does indeed.  This is definitely wrong.  Selecting the clip and hitting delete should delete the clip.

This must explain why it has often happened to me that I selected a clip but then couldn't for the life of me delete it with the delete key.  I then wondered why sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't.

It has also happenend to me (in fact while trying to reproduce the first post to this thread) that my plugin is selected in the fx bin but it won't delete with the delete key.

Sonar Platinum [2017.10], Win7U x64 sp1, Xeon E5-1620 3.6 GHz, Asus P9X79WS, 16 GB ECC, 128gb SSD, HD7950, Mackie Blackjack
    cool
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 95
    Re: Can I prevent Sonar from deleting my plugins (in the FX bin) when i hit the delete key 2016/02/13 23:30:46 (permalink)
    Yep! Same problem: http://forum.cakewalk.com...-My-Pain-m3333681.aspx

2. Clip deleting by Del key doesn't delete the clip, but delets a plugin in a FX Bin. Why for G's sake should it do that?
    This problem is easy to reproduce. After any operations in the FX Bin, select any clip(s) by rignt mouse button lasso (Smart Tool) and press Del on your keyboard. Voila.
    Guess how many times I unsuccessfully tried to delete the clip, and then from my memory I tried to restore the order and settings of plug-ins? I do it all the time...

Guys, please, if you have the opportunity to leave CWBR request - do it! The only way we can solve our problems, but not a separate messages on the forum.
    With faith in the best.
    Anderton
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: Can I prevent Sonar from deleting my plugins (in the FX bin) when i hit the delete key 2016/02/14 10:21:56 (permalink)
    This also appears to be intermittent. I tried to duplicate and couldn't, but then I could.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    pwalpwal
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3249
    Re: Can I prevent Sonar from deleting my plugins (in the FX bin) when i hit the delete key 2016/02/14 11:41:43 (permalink)
    Anderton
    This also appears to be intermittent. I tried to duplicate and couldn't, but then I could.

this is possibly the most troubling aspect of any bug, in that it implies the bug is "low level," or "far away" from the observed symptom...  i wonder if it's related to the "history/undo" issues?

just a sec

2:43AM
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1147
    Re: Can I prevent Sonar from deleting my plugins (in the FX bin) when i hit the delete key 2016/02/21 23:55:23 (permalink)
    This is definitely a problem.  It seems that Sonar is forgetting how to use the right-click, drag and highlight feature, which I use all the time.  Here's how to replicate it:

1.  First create a track with A) some audio FX in the Bin, and B) an audio clip in the actual track.
    2.  Now, click inside the FX Bin, or click an actual FX plugin to open it, as if to mess around with it, then close it.
    3.  Now right-click and drag "sweep" to select the audio clip(s) to highlight it with the glowing-blue box.
    4.  Let go of the right mouse button.  The audio clip should be highlighted/active.
    5.  Now press the delete key.  The FX plugin that had the brackets around it will be deleted.

UPDATE:

I just tried it in X3e, and the behavior is the same.
    I just tried it in X2a, and the behavior is the same.
    I just tried it in X1d, and the behavior does not exist because the right-click "glowing-box sweep" select does not exist.

So it appears we've been living with this buggy behavior since the X2 days.
    post edited by 2:43AM - 2016/02/22 00:18:10
    mudgel
    • Total Posts : 12010
    Re: Can I prevent Sonar from deleting my plugins (in the FX bin) when i hit the delete key 2016/02/22 05:07:58 (permalink)
    I think that's what I said earlier.

It seems like when using the right mouse button to perform some action, eg lasso a number of clips, it does not override the previous "in focus" state for the plugin which would have been the last element to have been activated with a left mouse button action. I've tried it and that seems to be the case.

If I make a deliberate left mouse click on any one of the clips before I lasso them, then when using delete, it deleted the appropriately lassoed clips.

Something about right mouse button activity that I remember reading in a previous thread that seems to be of the same or similar nature.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    pwalpwal
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3249
    Re: Can I prevent Sonar from deleting my plugins (in the FX bin) when i hit the delete key 2016/02/22 05:42:15 (permalink)
    seems to be to do with "selected" versus "focussed" and the right mouse button doesn't instantiate what's expected

just a sec

2:43AM
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1147
    Re: Can I prevent Sonar from deleting my plugins (in the FX bin) when i hit the delete key 2016/02/22 08:53:46 (permalink)
    mudgel
    I think that's what I said earlier.

I must have missed it.  Sorry 'bout it.  Did you report the issue?  I think this needs to be squared away by Cakewalk.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1