Helpful ReplyLockedCan This Forum Continue?

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
michael diemer
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1128
2018/01/12 22:52:09 (permalink)

Can This Forum Continue?

I've adjusted to the almost certain demise of Sonar. But this forum is a really special place. It's my internet home, the first place I go to every time I sit down at my computer. I'm not on social media, and I've been restricting my forum time to the ones that I get real help from (and, on rare occasions, help someone else...hey, even a broken clock is right twice a day (unless you take into account relativity, then you have to specify position and velocity).

Anyway...I will be possibly even more devastated if this forum dies. I can continue using Sonar perhaps forever, but there's no place like this on the internet. It's home. I know about the spin-off forums, but those never really seem to satisfy. They will never approach the critical mass this place has. There simply is nothing to compare with it. When it's gone, it's going to be lonesome-ville for me. And, I suspect, a lot of other folks. If there's a way to keep it going, even if some of us have to pay,  in which case, count me in. The knowledge and, for the most part, civility that resides here are irreplaceable.

If we can't keep Sonar going, let's at least keep this place going! It's a life-line, a present help in time of need, a...oh well, you get the idea.

michael diemer
Intel Quad Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge
32 GB ram
1TB Western Digital Black X2
Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64
UR22 interface
Bandlab Cakewalk/Sonar 8.5 Studio
GPO-EWQLSO Gold-Vienna SP ED-Cinematic Strings 2

CakeAlexSHere
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 577
Re: Can This Forum Continue? 2018/01/12 22:57:39 (permalink)
404 PAGE NOT FOUND.
tlw
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2567
Re: Can This Forum Continue? 2018/01/12 23:01:30 (permalink)
The forum is part of the domain cakewalk.com.

Unsurprisingly, the domain is registered in the name of Cakewalk Inc. The domain registration auto-expires, unless renewed, in 2019.

How long this forum lasts depends on how long Gibson, the owners of Cakewalk Inc., are willing to pay the hosting and running costs and maintain the domain registration. Gibson may be willing to part with the domain cakewalk.com, but I’d be surprised if they didn’t expect anyone who wants the domain to buy Cakewalk while they’re at it.

I agree it will be a shame to see the forum disappear, the techniques sub-forum alone is a very valuable resource on all kinds of recording and audio-related topics. But the future of the forum is really in Gibson’s hands because they own the domain and they are paying the bills. Even something as “simple” as moderating and admining a forum with thousands of users is a pretty hefty amount of work, and unless the work is done well forums turn into playgrounds for trolls and spammers.

And the forum software is commercial as well I believe, so there’s the cost of that to take into account as well.

So this forum will last as long as Gibson decides it will.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
Cactus Music
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: Can This Forum Continue? 2018/01/12 23:20:37 (permalink)
It's already sort of half gone. All those who switched DAW's are now on those forums.. Mind you I see a bunch are using the Software forum and it's sort of funny how they are getting better answers here than they did on the actual official help forums. Certainly the Cubase forum is terrible. I haven't bothered to ask question there in years. You'll get one reply after you wait a few days. You get better service using Gear slutz DAW sub forums. 
Sounds like the Studio one forum is now populated by mostly Ex Sonar people asking questions. 

The other thing already here is there are now no more newbies asking questions. 
Another thing that took up a lot of forum space was Sonar updates as people posted a lot about that.
Now we are down to a few hangers on. 
One thing you do see is a lot of lurkers have come o the forefront, long time members that don't normally post are now active which is a good thing. 

And there is at least 2 new forum that started up, I think Bapu's is the active one, The other was someone called panup. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

Rbh
Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2349
Re: Can This Forum Continue? 2018/01/13 00:10:29 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby bobguitkillerleft 2018/01/13 04:16:12
I'm hanging out  - til the bulldozers have their way with this forum.

I7 930 2.8 Asus PDX58D
12 Gig
Appollo
CbB, Sonar Pro, Reaper, Samplitude, MixBuss
 Win7 Pro

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=902832
tlw
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2567
Re: Can This Forum Continue? 2018/01/13 00:24:36 (permalink)
Cactus Music
It's already sort of half gone. All those who switched DAW's are now on those forums.. Mind you I see a bunch are using the Software forum and it's sort of funny how they are getting better answers here than they did on the actual official help forums. Certainly the Cubase forum is terrible.

I reckon this forum is/has been about the best software peer-to-peer support I’ve come across in the 27 years I’ve been using the internet*. It’s a bit ironic that some of the most popular DAWs have at best poor support forums compared to Cakewalk, and I include Logic in that. Apple’s forums in particular don’t really encourage the kind of to-and-fro of conversation and ideas exchange that we get here and is so useful.

*maybe equal first with the demon.service newsgroup for the first few years after Demon Internet first started in ‘91/2.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Can This Forum Continue? 2018/01/13 01:07:20 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby SteveStrummerUK 2018/01/13 04:05:13
Cactus Music
It's already sort of half gone. All those who switched DAW's are now on those forums.. Mind you I see a bunch are using the Software forum and it's sort of funny how they are getting better answers here than they did on the actual official help forums. Certainly the Cubase forum is terrible. I haven't bothered to ask question there in years. You'll get one reply after you wait a few days. You get better service using Gear slutz DAW sub forums. 
Sounds like the Studio one forum is now populated by mostly Ex Sonar people asking questions. 

Another thing that took up a lot of forum space was Sonar updates as people posted a lot about that.
Now we are down to a few hangers on. 
One thing you do see is a lot of lurkers have come o the forefront, long time members that don't normally post are now active which is a good thing. 

And there is at least 2 new forum that started up, I think Bapu's is the active one, The other was someone called panup. 

I've got one foot in Bapu's forum "Beyond Cakewalk" already, my plan B in case the lights go out here.  It seems to be pretty well balanced, and fairly active.  http://beyondcakewalk.com/forum/

Also joined the other forum by panup, "Plan B".  http://sonarmods.com/sonarmods/forum2017/index.php#c2

Between the two forums, they seem to be populated by many former regulars here.  There seems to be some forking going on, so nowhere near the critical mass this forum had.

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
sharke
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: Can This Forum Continue? 2018/01/13 02:04:37 (permalink)
Cactus Music

It worried me a little that there were never that many newbies asking questions though. I guess if there had have been more, Cakewalk would have been in better financial shape. 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
CakeAlexSHere
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 577
Re: Can This Forum Continue? 2018/01/13 02:29:35 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Cactus Music 2018/01/13 05:19:50

Well adiós for now until something actually happens here.... I've got two new DAWs to learn, a tax return and an album to finish (finally feel like now is the time). It's been brief and a little more pleasant now the fanboy element has mostly (but not altogether) disappeared.

X
Unknowen
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1276
Re: Can This Forum Continue? 2018/01/13 04:12:37 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jacksop 2018/01/16 15:42:58
Speaking of Newbies... I've noticed as looking for other DAWs that people who have videos up about "My DAW" is the best choice always talk about the things wrong with the other guys daws but NEVER have I seen a video saying I use this daw because Sonar is bad! it's like crazy odd that all the other daws trash each other's daws. It's like there was a black out of Sonar. I wounder how many people running from ProTools or Cubase even new that Sonar existed. :(
All Cakewalk had to do was market Sonar! 
It makes me sick!

Hay look,
Somethings are not locked in stone... lol 3/18/2019
michael diemer
Re: Can This Forum Continue? 2018/01/13 05:08:39 (permalink)
11Dreams
Speaking of Newbies... I've noticed as looking for other DAWs that people who have videos up about "My DAW" is the best choice always talk about the things wrong with the other guys daws but NEVER have I seen a video saying I use this daw because Sonar is bad! it's like crazy odd that all the other daws trash each other's daws. It's like there was a black out of Sonar. I wounder how many people running from ProTools or Cubase even new that Sonar existed. :(
All Cakewalk had to do was market Sonar! 
It makes me sick!

That's been my feeling ever since this fiasco began: Great software, terrible marketing.

michael diemer
32 GB ram
UR22 interface

Cactus Music
Re: Can This Forum Continue? 2018/01/13 05:23:37 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby CakeAlexSHere 2018/01/13 15:12:16
Great post Alex.. perfect.. bet ya can't stay away  :) this place is a frigghn addiction for me. 
I have learned almost everything I know about Sonar here, I might have to find the help files now...
No wait,, they haven't been updated since x3... oh well. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  

Marshall
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 602
Re: Can This Forum Continue? 2018/01/13 11:03:44 (permalink)
It would be terrible if this place closed, BUT I suspect there would then be mass join ups to Beyond Cakewalk and/or Plan B, and they would therefore gain the critical mass needed.
Markubl2
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 299
Re: Can This Forum Continue? 2018/01/13 11:11:29 (permalink)
michael diemer
(unless you take into account relativity, then you have to specify position and velocity).

Heh - that made my day....
bobguitkillerleft
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 944
Re: Can This Forum Continue? 2018/01/13 11:26:37 (permalink)
husker
michael diemer
(unless you take into account relativity, then you have to specify position and velocity).

Heh - that made my day....

Lucky you!
I tried to join beyond cakewalk,at 3.11pm here,only to get- Sorry, something went wrong verifying your account against a spammer database. Most likely the database couldn't be accessed. Please try again later.So i'll Please try again later.

Then i spent until 30 minutes ago writing a fairly complicated post including the whole of the digital worlds thang,and how I recently found a 4 track cassette machine connected to a decent 2 track cassette demo thing,that actually sounded way way better -mostly the playing obviously,but even the sound quality,using just my trusty EQ,and Orange Distortion,direct in,real left handed HONDO bass guitar (i wish i still had incredibly) and Whoa WAY better than my soundclod 1st take things!

I NEED THIS FORUM,as i'm not spending another cent on digital daw stuff(is 3k enough for wavy plugs?),when included in ALL the BOXED versions i bought were all better than GOOD ENOUGH,I Downloaded SPLAT-with lifetime updates OF COURSE-not a fanboy-i think i hate digital everything,that is until I NEED gloogle and THIS FORUM to find out things,oh and the post i spent until 40 minutes ago writing was so surprisingly DELETED by ? 

bob of BIG TIME never was

https://soundcloud.com/rks26https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hitmen Lenovo W540 Factoryrefurb SONAR PLATINUM,Ozone 7 N.I. KA6 Komplete 9 SSD4 Platinum Epi L/H LP Custom Headstock broken twice and fixed.Gibson L/H Les Paul 2010 Wine Red Studio stupid Right Hand Vol.Tone for Left Hand?LH84Ibanez RS135 gen.FloydRose JB Marshall 100w 2203 4x25w Celestion Green backs
"You are what you is"-Frank Zappa "But I'm gonna wave my freak flag high"-Jimi Hendrix    
mudgel
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re: Can This Forum Continue? 2018/01/13 11:56:19 (permalink)
I actually quite enjoyed looking around the Cubase forum and asking a question or two. The great thing is there isn’t all the drivel to wade through. The signal to noise ratio is much lower. The mods seem helpful and their marketing manager, Matthias is very active.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
jamesg1213
  • Total Posts : 21760
Re: Can This Forum Continue? 2018/01/13 15:00:11 (permalink)
I'm quite (pleasantly) surprised it's still here. Fully expecting an 'error 404' every time I click on the bookmark.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
chuckebaby
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re: Can This Forum Continue? 2018/01/13 16:28:39 (permalink)
I have quite a few posts on this forum and have enjoyed helping others solve their problems.
I have learned so much from this forum as well as met great people here.
But this forum (not speaking for others) is holding me back from completing projects, doing more work where I'm supposed to be doing more work....  In the Workstation.

I spend a lot of free time here but that free time could be spent finishing projects that need completing.
Sure everyone needs a break from the DAW but I find myself coming here too often and I find myself being too concerned with other peoples opinions. Probably one of my least favorable quality's. That's my bad and that's my fault.

So I have decided to spend more time recently where I should. In my work.
I have a new DAW to learn. Even though im using Sonar still, im trying my best to slowly wean myself into to Studio one 3. There are a lot of little things to learn like shortcuts, features, exc.
That's why I have decided to stay using Sonar while cracking the surface of Studio one at the same time.

Sonar stopping development has been a blessing in disguise for me.
Though I miss Sonars new updates and I do feel awful for staff who lost their jobs.
I have this refreshed feeling of almost being forced to step outside my comfort zone to accomplish new things and explore new horizons. I actually sound like that Martin Landslide guy. How horrific. But its true.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

Just Another Bloke
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 861
Re: Can This Forum Continue? 2018/01/13 17:05:48 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby bobguitkillerleft 2018/01/13 19:41:21
bobguitkillerleft
I tried to join beyond cakewalk,at 3.11pm here,only to get- Sorry, something went wrong verifying your account against a spammer database. Most likely the database couldn't be accessed. Please try again later.So i'll Please try again later.

Sorry to hear that. We were getting deluged with spammers and so we incorporated an spammer plugin (yes, forum software has plugins too).

If you send a PM (or to "bapu") I will set you up if you are still interested.
Cactus Music
Re: Can This Forum Continue? 2018/01/13 17:17:35 (permalink)
OK lets form a self help group Sonar Forum addiction Anonymous

Maybe Azslow3 could write a little app that every time we try to come here a warning pops up 
" DO YOUR REALLY NEED THAT FIX"  and we go back to work. 
I agree it's a dangerous distraction  but the payoff for me is almost everyday I read something that educates me about using Sonar and general stuff like the latest hardware and Windows issues. 

I can sort of get the same fix on Gear slutz but it is soo bogged down with useless and wrong information and Mac this , Pro Tools that. No, this forum is focused on Sonar and using a PC to make music.  
I would switch over to Bapu's forum right now but I'm not at all interested in taking about other DAW's right now. We all did that for a week or so and that's that. When this forum dies it looks like most of us will probably end up over there. Actually I will always think of Bapu as living in the basement? why is that? :) 
I can see this forum will just slowly fade away. One by one with not much to talk about we will wander off leaving a few folks who logged on for the first time in a year pondering what happened and " where did everybody go?" 

I'm not predicting it will just shut down suddenly or a few months or even a year. Neil has said as so much. There was a hint of the month of June in all that none info. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  

michael diemer
Re: Can This Forum Continue? 2018/01/13 17:59:32 (permalink)
Cactus Music

I can see this forum will just slowly fade away. One by one with not much to talk about we will wander off leaving a few folks who logged on for the first time in a year pondering what happened and " where did everybody go?" 

I shudder at the prospect. Makes me think of Northern Sounds, which is exactly in that situation. I don't go there anymore because it won't let me post for some reason. Two emails to admin have gone unanswered. It think it's being run by robots.

A similar fate for the Sonar forum? May it never be!

michael diemer
32 GB ram
UR22 interface

bobguitkillerleft
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 944
Re: Can This Forum Continue? 2018/01/13 20:56:36 (permalink)
The Lifetime Platinum Member
bobguitkillerleft

Sorry to hear that. We were getting deluged with spammers and so we incorporated an spammer plugin (yes, forum software has plugins too).

If you send a PM (or to "bapu") I will set you up if you are still interested.

Thankyou,
I'll try again later today after sleep,I've been fooling for far too long with WinDirStat,and how if every colour for even the most innocuous files are checked(as i mentioned a tiny while ago),it actually shows my 500GB Seagate ST500LMO 21 - 1KJ152 SCSI Disk Device *actually has 1.5 TB of data!*,and i can bring up totally inaccessible stuff usually(by my usual mousy explorer ways) like old .wav files,by just right clicking 'show in explorer' within WinDirStat that VLC plays instantly,so man I was super surprised the entire 1.5 TB on a 465GB usable/500GB (an actual 500,105,249,280 bytes) main disk still showed(please stay)!

Because,life of LATE,has been weird as an understatement,least problematic is updates(or fans,high temps,when the lappy is not really supposedly doing anything?) of course other digi-luddite oddness as per usual,but THE way way worse "psychosocial" mega upsets,actually offset with coinciding nowhere near as bothersome-car radiator 'microfracturing',patching with metal strips/epoxy 2 part resin - $400 for a rad. for a 96 reliable,yet worrying car that would only sell(whole vehicle)for $500 max(after just forking(?) for registration)lol,and Saturday afternoon to Sunday 6.50am still easily playing,and finding these files! So one day/month/? the lost projects on the RAW Unallocated external HDD's might with luck (a lot of?),may be revived?,and even though i'm never learning a new daw(yet,.....if at all!),and travelling to an eventual beyond forum,as well as THIS internet forum continuing(the 1/4/or1/2 inch reel to reel is a certainty definitely after my june 93 cassette epiphany) there is new hope?,after much Sunday sleep.
Thanks The Lifetime Platinum Member,and of course ALL here.
Slightly sleep deprived,but full tilt sincerity is meant
bob

https://soundcloud.com/rks26https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hitmen Lenovo W540 Factoryrefurb SONAR PLATINUM,Ozone 7 N.I. KA6 Komplete 9 SSD4 Platinum Epi L/H LP Custom Headstock broken twice and fixed.Gibson L/H Les Paul 2010 Wine Red Studio stupid Right Hand Vol.Tone for Left Hand?LH84Ibanez RS135 gen.FloydRose JB Marshall 100w 2203 4x25w Celestion Green backs
"You are what you is"-Frank Zappa "But I'm gonna wave my freak flag high"-Jimi Hendrix    
mrpippy2
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 222
Re: Can This Forum Continue? 2018/01/14 01:56:58 (permalink)
I was just looking at the techniques forum, and though it says there are something like 7k posts, I can only access 3 pages. On my desktop, the Sonar forum was only showing 7 pages, but now on my phone I have more. Weird. Hope I can get to some of those back posts in the techniques forum. I'm trying to save a bunch of pages as local HTML files so I'll have access to them when the forum goes down.

Sweetwater Creation Station 250, QuadCore, i5 3.4 Ghz, 2x1TB HD, 16GB RAM, Windows 10 64 bit, Sonar Platinum 64 bit, Focusrite 2i2
jamesg1213
Re: Can This Forum Continue? 2018/01/14 07:56:40 (permalink)
mrpippy2
I was just looking at the techniques forum, and though it says there are something like 7k posts, I can only access 3 pages. On my desktop, the Sonar forum was only showing 7 pages, but now on my phone I have more. Weird. Hope I can get to some of those back posts in the techniques forum. I'm trying to save a bunch of pages as local HTML files so I'll have access to them when the forum goes down.

They're all there, just change the time filter right at the bottom of the page to 'from the beginning'. It's set on '30 days' by default.

Jyemz

jamesg1213
Re: Can This Forum Continue? 2018/01/14 11:04:13 (permalink)
Oh, it's down here now...

Jyemz

Karyn
Ma-Ma
  • Total Posts : 9200
Re: Can This Forum Continue? 2018/01/14 19:32:32 (permalink)
Just trying to keep the Sonar forum clear for Sonar threads.

The CH is supposed to be used for general discussion (as well as the banter we all enjoy)

Mekashi Futo
Get 10% off all Waves plugins.
Current DAW.  i7-950, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, 12Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD, 2x2Tb HDD, nVidia GTX 260, Antec 1000W psu, Win7 64bit, Studio 192, Digimax FS, KRK RP8G2, Sonar Platinum

jamesg1213
Re: Can This Forum Continue? 2018/01/14 19:42:55 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby SteveStrummerUK 2018/01/14 23:23:27
Thanks for reminding me of that Karyn, I'd completely forgotten.

Jyemz

eph221
Max Output Level: -28.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4665
Re: Can This Forum Continue? 2018/01/14 21:04:08 (permalink)
sharke
Cactus Music

It worried me a little that there were never that many newbies asking questions though. I guess if there had have been more, Cakewalk would have been in better financial shape. 

THIS! Sharke is right

Plus, It's like wading through a mud pond of narcissism around here.  I'm glad it's going down! :D:D

*Q-TIPS ARE FUZZY!!*
 Is a lumineer a new dental appliance?  

i7 2.5 ghz
32GB RAM
WINDOWS 10
My Ass
Cubase 9.5

jamesg1213
Re: Can This Forum Continue? 2018/01/14 21:13:48 (permalink)
O the ironing....

Jyemz

Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 729
Re: Can This Forum Continue? 2018/01/15 03:00:15 (permalink)
chuckebaby

I actually sound like that Martin Landslide guy. How horrific. But its true.

That's Matron chucky . . . Matron . . .  Matron Landslide

Intel i7 4790 @3.6Ghz - 32GB Ram - Windows 10 Pro 64bit - RME Fireface UFX+
Studio One 4 Professional, REAPER, CbB-(Couldnb't be Bothered)
More Plugs than Plumbers Warehouse.

Happy Studio One User Since August 2015

"It's the entertainment value, the comic relief . . . plus the Software and Deals Forum"

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1