Can you change the Piano Roll View in Sonar Platinum with the Theme Editor?

Author
Stevethesearcher2020
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31
2017/04/23 22:12:20 (permalink)

Can you change the Piano Roll View in Sonar Platinum with the Theme Editor?

hello,

Sonar X3 user here. I have a question. Can you change the Piano Roll View in the new Theme Editor. I really hate the white Excel spread sheet look of the Piano Roll View in Sonar X3. Can you change the Piano Roll view to a dark background with the Theme Editor in Sonar Platinum? While I am asking can the Step Sequencer be customised as well with the Theme Editor but its really the Piano Roll that concerns me most as I always found it ugly compared to the Piano Roll in FL Studio which I really like. Thanks in advance!

11 Replies Related Threads

RSMCGUITAR
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1318
    Re: Can you change the Piano Roll View in Sonar Platinum with the Theme Editor? 2017/04/24 00:04:56 (permalink)
    You can do it without the theme editor under Preferences/Customization/Colors. Making it look any good, that's another story.

I wish there was a Tungsten style PRV
    Stevethesearcher2020
    Re: Can you change the Piano Roll View in Sonar Platinum with the Theme Editor? 2017/04/24 00:10:47 (permalink)
    Thanks for your reply. I was hoping the Theme Editor would be able to customise it.  After all shouldn't a theme apply to all parts of the application ideally? It seems if I want to upgrade I have to make up my mind by April 30 or some new pricing scheme comes into effect.
    soens
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5154
    Re: Can you change the Piano Roll View in Sonar Platinum with the Theme Editor? 2017/04/24 00:16:12 (permalink)
    RSMCGUITAR
    You can do it without the theme editor under Preferences/Customization/Colors. Making it look any good, that's another story.

Beat me to it. You can change the grid screen background and the beat lines within Sonar. If you change the main color it will cause the alternating color to change with it automatically, you cannot change them independently of each other.

The frame around the PRV has to be changed with Theme Editor.
    Stevethesearcher2020
    Re: Can you change the Piano Roll View in Sonar Platinum with the Theme Editor? 2017/04/24 00:23:19 (permalink)
    soens
    RSMCGUITAR

Beat me to it. You can change the grid screen background and the beat lines within Sonar. If you change the main color it will cause the alternating color to change with it automatically, you cannot change them independently of each other.

The frame around the PRV has to be changed with Theme Editor.

Thanks for the answer. Well at least I know I can get rid of the white Excel look. I prefer to work with dark backgrounds. I want a background like the Piano Roll in FL Studio.
    RSMCGUITAR
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1318
    Re: Can you change the Piano Roll View in Sonar Platinum with the Theme Editor? 2017/04/24 00:36:04 (permalink)
    If you come up with something good, post your settings. I don't have the patience.
    Stevethesearcher2020
    Re: Can you change the Piano Roll View in Sonar Platinum with the Theme Editor? 2017/04/24 00:37:37 (permalink)
    RSMCGUITAR
    If you come up with something good, post your settings. I don't have the patience.

I will do. Thanks for your help. I am off to bed now. Its late. Goodnight all!
    soens
    Re: Can you change the Piano Roll View in Sonar Platinum with the Theme Editor? 2017/04/24 00:44:47 (permalink)
    I also like the notes labeled on each key like they do. Feature Request time.
    rmfegley
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 114
    Re: Can you change the Piano Roll View in Sonar Platinum with the Theme Editor? 2017/04/24 01:40:39 (permalink)
    In X3, and versions of Platinum prior to  the 2017.03 update, customization>colors would work. Like you, I wanted a darker piano roll similar to FL Studio. The specific settings to change are piano roll view>window background to a darker gray, and then piano roll view>grid rules, beat rules, and major rules to something lighter gray(s). I can post the specific colors I used, which are close, but not identical to FL Studio's PRV colors.

soens

You can change the grid screen background and the beat lines within Sonar. If you change the main color it will cause the alternating color to change with it automatically, you cannot change them independently of each other.

But...the 2017.03 update of Platinum introduced a complication (the alternating colors for sharps and flats are now part of the theme) that does require the theme editor to get working correctly. However, this has been identified as a bug and is supposed to be fixed in the next (?) update. See this post for details.

http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3582917

EDIT: Also you can see a screenshot of my dark piano roll colors in that post.

Sonar Platinum latest update
    Windows 10 Home
    i7-4790 CPU
    ASRock Z97 Pro4 MB
    16 GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 960
    Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 
    Alesis VI49 Keyboard/controller
    Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S49 keyboard/controller
    Native Instruments Maschine Mk3

Native Instruments Maschine Jam
    Native Instruments Komplete 10
    Various other commercial and free plugins
    &
    soens
    Re: Can you change the Piano Roll View in Sonar Platinum with the Theme Editor? 2017/04/24 07:56:06 (permalink)
    So glad that's a bug as they should be changeable within Sonar.
    Stevethesearcher2020
    Re: Can you change the Piano Roll View in Sonar Platinum with the Theme Editor? 2017/04/24 11:46:34 (permalink)
    rmfegley
    In X3, and versions of Platinum prior to  the 2017.03 update, customization>colors would work. Like you, I wanted a darker piano roll similar to FL Studio. The specific settings to change are piano roll view>window background to a darker gray, and then piano roll view>grid rules, beat rules, and major rules to something lighter gray(s). I can post the specific colors I used, which are close, but not identical to FL Studio's PRV colors.

soens

You can change the grid screen background and the beat lines within Sonar. If you change the main color it will cause the alternating color to change with it automatically, you cannot change them independently of each other.

But...the 2017.03 update of Platinum introduced a complication (the alternating colors for sharps and flats are now part of the theme) that does require the theme editor to get working correctly. However, this has been identified as a bug and is supposed to be fixed in the next (?) update. See this post for details.

http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3582917

EDIT: Also you can see a screenshot of my dark piano roll colors in that post.

RMFEGLEY

Your Piano Roll customisation is exactly the way I want the Piano Roll View. That dark background looks great! I would really like to hear from someone from Cakewalk in relation to this. Why has the Piano Roll in Sonar been neglected for so long. There was something very cold and clinical to Sonar PRV. Not only the colours but the way of working in it has always seemed clunky to me. I heard they have made changes to it recently so I hope they are looking at making it more user friendly.
    soens
    Re: Can you change the Piano Roll View in Sonar Platinum with the Theme Editor? 2017/04/24 19:14:52 (permalink)
    I liked it how it was and haven't tried the new one yet...
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1