Helpful ReplyCan't pause this demon? More on the "Cakewalk Command Center"

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Can't pause this demon? More on the "Cakewalk Command Center" 2015/03/27 19:36:20 (permalink)
Sanderxpander
The fact that an update is available doesn't mean I have to do it, which is an important bit of information I tend to forget.

This is the advantage of a cumulative system. If you don't update something one month, it will still be there next month. Still, I think for most people the process has been relatively painless, and it should get more painless in the months ahead.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
jatoth
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 363
Re: Can't pause this demon? More on the "Cakewalk Command Center" 2015/03/27 20:16:17 (permalink)
Anderton

I don't think anyone is expecting users to lower their expectations. .....

Either way, bugs are unavoidable. The question is would you rather have a few features (with a few bugs) happening frequently, or lots of features (and a proportionately larger number of bugs) happening infrequently. 

I think that is exactly what was implied here
We are constantly being told here on this forum that "bugs are unavoidable".
In fact you just asked us if we want a "few bugs" or a "larger number of bugs".
As consumers, we bought a product with advertized features. We "expected" those features to work as advertized.
Not all of the features worked properly for everyone. Those that it did not function properly for are told to expect some bugs. (ie. lower your expectations)

I'm not trying to argue with you Craig, I admire all of the work you do here. And I mean that sincerely. It's just you are not the only one repeatedly telling us to expect bugs when we just expect our software to work.

John

X3e Producer, Sonar Platinum, Sweetwater CreationStation i5 3.1gHz, 12 GB RAM, 500GB SSD OS drive, 1TB SSD audio drive, 1TB archive/misc drive, dual 22" monitors, Windows 7x64, SaffirePro40 (firewire), MOTU MIDI Express XT, Behringer BCF2000, dbx 586, Samson Servo 120a, Yamaha HS80M, Auratone 5c Cubes, Sennheiser HD650, Sony MDR 7509HD, Sony MDR 7506, Kurzweil K2500XS, Roland XP-30, Proteus 2000.
Doktor Avalanche
Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4294
Re: Can't pause this demon? More on the "Cakewalk Command Center" 2015/03/27 21:47:19 (permalink)
As I said earlier - you want less bugs, then wait a month..... It's that easy (or hard).

For me what is interesting to see is how quick Cakewalk fixes regression bugs, so far so good.
They need to fix all the regression bugs before the next release that is what is most important. The evidence is so far that they will.

That gives users a choice

- Adopt quickly and get less stability and more bugs and your excitement is immediately satisfied.
- Adopt a month later and get more stability and less bugs.

That's the choice anyway for those who expect to be continuously subscribed for 12+ months....
post edited by Doktor Avalanche - 2015/03/27 21:56:32
Anderton
Re: Can't pause this demon? More on the "Cakewalk Command Center" 2015/03/27 23:57:49 (permalink)
jatoth
Anderton

I don't think anyone is expecting users to lower their expectations. .....

Either way, bugs are unavoidable. The question is would you rather have a few features (with a few bugs) happening frequently, or lots of features (and a proportionately larger number of bugs) happening infrequently. 

I think that is exactly what was implied here
We are constantly being told here on this forum that "bugs are unavoidable".
In fact you just asked us if we want a "few bugs" or a "larger number of bugs".
As consumers, we bought a product with advertized features. We "expected" those features to work as advertized.

All I am asking for is REALISTIC expectations. Not low expectations.

Apple has $178,000,000,000 in cash on hand and believe me, they have plenty of hot shot software developers. But OS X Yosemite has bugs. Mavericks had bugs. The iPhone has bugs. When I go to update apps on my iPad, virtually every single app update references "various bug fixes." The last system updates from Apple itself to my iPhone and iPad referenced bug fixes. How many patches has Microsoft, another giant company, installed on your computer within the past year? Why has Microsoft dropped support for 8.0, insisting that users must upgrade to 8.1 to get further updates?

Go to any DAW forum and you will see complaint after complaint about bugs. Cubase, Logic, Pro Tools...it doesn't matter, you'll find plenty of posts about bugs (which like the posts here are sometimes real bugs, and sometimes imagined). Nor are DAWs the only software product category with complaints. Interface companies, virtual instrument companies, digital hardware effects...all software has bugs. Period.

Why would Cakewalk be immune from this truism? To hold a small company in Boston to a considerably higher standard than Apple, Microsoft, Steinberg, etc. etc. etc. is absurd.

But really, all of these are minor league bugs. Check out some real bugs: In 2014, automakers issued more than 550 recalls for more than 52 million vehicles, according to the Associated Press. GM alone issued at least 60 recalls in 2014, with my favorite being to advise owners of certain SUVs not to park in garages because the cars could catch fire by themselves when left unattended. These bugs won't just leave a control bar module over on the right when you exit. They can kill you or set your house on fire.

Some records have lousy mastering jobs. I can guarantee the record company will not give you a free updated version in a month--they'll charge you all over again for a "re-mastered" version. Doctors misdiagnose patients, which sometimes leads to death or amputating the wrong limb. Food is recalled from grocery shelves because sometimes it's poisonous, and sometimes because it has, well, bugs (and I don't mean errant lines of code).

Imperfection is a fact of life in every facet of life. What matters isn't whether or not people make mistakes, because EVERYONE makes mistakes. What matters is how mistakes are addressed. But even then, you can never please some people. When they get their bug fixes, they'll sniff "Well, the bugs shouldn't have been there in the first place."

I can't help but wonder if the people who complain about bugs in this and every other software forum are as equally intolerant of imperfection in their own lives.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: Can't pause this demon? More on the "Cakewalk Command Center" 2015/03/28 00:06:59 (permalink)
The point was simple and directed to the CCC. How many dissertations NOT on topic must be read before this is understood?

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
Anderton
Re: Can't pause this demon? More on the "Cakewalk Command Center" 2015/03/28 00:35:59 (permalink)
mettelus
The point was simple and directed to the CCC. How many dissertations NOT on topic must be read before this is understood?

Initially, yes, the point was directed at the CCC and simple. To recap, the OP was about thinking all the tutorials had to be downloaded to get the new help files, and at least the CCC should be able to be paused to make the process easier.

However, a simple and direct solution was offered to the OP’s issue in post #3. To recap, by using online help, nothing needs a lengthy download or be paused, and you can access all the new help files. These days, online help files are a common way to distribute documentation, particularly when time is of the essence. And as scook pointed out, the PDF is updated only rarely.

Despite offering a solution to the original issue, which typically ends a thread, the thread then turned into a more general discussion of dissatisfaction with particular elements of the CCC. Then it eventually broadened into a discussion of bugs in general, and how some considered it inexcusable that the CCC should have bugs. Post #29 then went beyond the CCC with respect to bugs.

Having already addressed the OP’s issue in post #3 with what seemed like an appropriate solution, I started addressing the later posts. It is not uncommon for threads to broaden into other topics as they continue, particularly if a solution to the initial problem was presented early on.

Gone!!
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 797
Re: Can't pause this demon? More on the "Cakewalk Command Center" 2015/03/28 00:37:03 (permalink)
Well the unpausable demon has done it to me again, unfortunately another easy and flawless update, everything seems to work as described, and my custom control bar module is right where I like it, over there on the right hand side.
Doktor Avalanche
Re: Can't pause this demon? More on the "Cakewalk Command Center" 2015/03/28 00:39:12 (permalink)
My comments were not directed about the CCC either... It works OK for me I look forward to enhancements.

I was saying I can live with regression bugs if we get hotfixes later like this control panel issue. I expect new features to work as advertised a month later. Long term bugs will be fixed in priority I'm sure each month.

I can't live however with installers that plaster files over my hard drive willy nilly it's sloppy. It is REALISTIC to at least expect installers to install files to the correct locations as specified in the registry. I can't remember any other vendor having the same issue (maybe in the 90's).

To imply that it's not a big issue because most people install samples or plugins on their C drive by default is crazy. Most people who are serious about their DAW environment want their samples and other stuff on separate partitions for performance and file management... It's called best practice. And those that have done this don't want to go chasing around fixing issues that the installer couldn't be bothered to accommodate for. Those people need to be listened to and not be dismissed as rare use cases.
post edited by Doktor Avalanche - 2015/03/28 00:45:27
mettelus
Re: Can't pause this demon? More on the "Cakewalk Command Center" 2015/03/28 00:43:14 (permalink)
At least you have validated my point of initially offering a workaround as a "solution." Thank you for that.

My takeaway is that this is the "expected norm" to deal with going forward.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
Anderton
Re: Can't pause this demon? More on the "Cakewalk Command Center" 2015/03/28 00:52:00 (permalink)
Well Doktor, as I said earlier, I agree but I limited my comment to the placement of instrument samples and programs. However since we're on the subject, I'm not a fan of the whole C:\Users\Appdata\Roaming\Not So Roaming\Common Files\Data You Thought You Knew Where It Was\Settings\ type of structure, either...particularly because the "standard" place to put things seems to change over time. The Mac used to be free of this kind of silliness, so I was pretty distressed when Apple OS X started having "user libraries" and such. Try finding where the files are for the desktop images sometime...argh.

Several years ago I created a Vstplugins folder in the Programs folder and installed all my plug-ins to that. It made life easier, but now VST3 plug-ins are handled differently. And registering DirectX plug-ins...the less said, the better.

I also think you shouldn't have to go into the registry to tell an instrument where to find its samples. There should be a preference that says "The samples are here." I also think samples and programs should live in the same place, because the samples take up a lot of space and the programs don't. Might as well have them all in one place so a backup catches them all.

Doktor Avalanche
Re: Can't pause this demon? More on the "Cakewalk Command Center" 2015/03/28 01:02:03 (permalink)
Darn right you shouldn't have to go into the registry... I'm sure the CCC will tackle this in future (all it will be is a UI to change the registry entry anyway if you are talking about settings).

Hang on I'm back in the Ubuntu forums it seems...
Anderton
Re: Can't pause this demon? More on the "Cakewalk Command Center" 2015/03/28 01:07:39 (permalink)
mettelus
At least you have validated my point of initially offering a workaround as a "solution." Thank you for that.

Definition of "workaround" from Merriam-Webster:

"a plan or method to circumvent a problem (as in computer software) without eliminating it"

Definition of "solution" from Merriam-Webster:

"something that is used or done to deal with and end a problem : something that solves a problem"

The OP limited his comments to downloading the new help files. His problem was supposedly not having easy and fast access to new help files. Having online help available eliminates and ends the problem of not having easy access to new help files. Sure sounds like a solution to me.

As to whether the PDF should be a separately downloadable file, I've already stated in previous threads that I think it should be. But that wasn't what the OP was about. It was about accessing the newer help files, and at least according to the generally accepted definitions of the words, I provided a solution in post #3 and not a workaround.

Doktor Avalanche
Re: Can't pause this demon? More on the "Cakewalk Command Center" 2015/03/28 01:48:47 (permalink)
Each to their own about where they put their OS/apps and their files, but I partition my drives, that way it's fast to access and keeps fragmentation down to a minimum. Plus it makes backups far simpler and more efficient in event of disaster. I always separate resources and data away from the OS partion, and I don't believe it to be an unusual scenario.
post edited by Doktor Avalanche - 2015/03/28 02:01:00
Doktor Avalanche
Re: Can't pause this demon? More on the "Cakewalk Command Center" 2015/03/28 02:05:49 (permalink)
Also you have to consider dual boot scenarios where you want data to be easy to access no matter what OS you are using. Mounting a windows OS partition in Linux so I can hunt around for data ain't the most efficient way of going about things..
John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re: Can't pause this demon? More on the "Cakewalk Command Center" 2015/03/28 02:15:48 (permalink)
DA you seem to be talking about a totally different issue. If you don't know by now one can install Sonar 2015 manually using the the files in your CW store account. I don't know if you can get patches manually but its possible that once installed C3 may use the paths you used to install manually to update. I don't know this but it maybe worth a try.  

Best
John
mudgel
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re: Can't pause this demon? More on the "Cakewalk Command Center" 2015/03/28 04:05:15 (permalink)
I can assure you that CCC does not learn from previous installations. Even if the registry has been modified CCC will still make changes according to running the default installer for every individual program element. It will not respect registry changes either. I've had the biggest VST mess with installing Cambridge and all the CCC items that had become red lighted even though the items were previously installed through the CCC. Because we get notification through the release eZine, I won't use the CCC again until it has significantly matured.

The Cambridge "Patch" is simply the latest Sonar installer available in your SSO account. It's called Cambridge Update 2 and labelled as 21.2.0.21. If I didn't keep the files on my PC I don't know how to find the first installer and do it manually. I know I can rollback and choose which version there but if I had to start from scratch I guess I'd have to contact Cakewalk support for a download link.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
Gone!!
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 797
Re: Can't pause this demon? More on the "Cakewalk Command Center" 2015/03/28 04:36:14 (permalink)
I keep a backup copy of everything, multiple backup copies, just in case :)
mettelus
Re: Can't pause this demon? More on the "Cakewalk Command Center" 2015/03/28 05:12:21 (permalink)
Um... well, that sort of validates #2 "or worse, a rationalized excuse as to why users should lower their expectations."
Your explanation is truly your interpretation of the OP? Being able to recall content from posts so readily, yet applying assumption (to reach one's own ends) just as readily comes off "rather odd."

The reaction to the CCC by all parties (who should be) most intimately involved with "issues" led me to an off-the-cuff comment, which was (in essence), "This all stinks of an out-sourced piece of coding." The CCC came under fire early on (and met with workarounds/rationalizations since day one), which was also why I originally had planned not to redeem Platinum until June, yet now I see workaround/rationalization as the "norm."

I was wholeheartedly hoping that my "June deployment maturity" prediction would fall through, but you have successfully lowered my expectations. Congratulations, I guess.

SilkTone
Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1566
Re: Can't pause this demon? More on the "Cakewalk Command Center" 2015/03/28 10:42:37 (permalink)
Guys, we really do need to lower our expectations here. This is what CW's response is to complaints about C3 crapping all over your C drive without even warning you, let alone giving you an option:

Willy Jones [Cakewalk]
Because it adds a layer of complexity between a new user making music right away. I'd hate to burst your bubble here - but you are in the minority. The vast majority of users don't specify custom paths. Muddying up the first time/new user experience because [insert your name here] doesn't like it is a poor design choice and counter-productive to one of C3's major goals: remove obstacles to firing up a project and making music fast

Doktor Avalanche
Re: Can't pause this demon? More on the "Cakewalk Command Center" 2015/03/28 11:02:44 (permalink)
That comment directly above is in the context of CCC.

Please don't get this categorised as a CCC issue, we all know it needs work.

CCC does install to the correct areas after you've installed Platinum and have your registry settings set correctly with the exception of the Dim Pro Installer, Rapture and Boost 11 in the latest update. The issue is NOT with CCC it is with the installers.

mudgel
Even if the registry has been modified CCC will still make changes according to running the default installer for every individual program element.

As far as the lights are concerned - yes they ignore the registry (for example Dim Pro and Rapture) and there's no real logic.

In regards to installation I don't see this at all in the latest update if the registry settings are set correctly apart from the 3 installers I mentioned. Might want to check them. If you see other areas I may have missed let us know in regards to this update.

In regards to Boost 11 they are clearly building it as part of Sonar package rather than stand alone hence the version numbers are incrementing as though it's a new release on every update - this is a developer error. And regardless it's resetting the registry path as though it's a brand new install every time, there is no upgrade logic.
post edited by Doktor Avalanche - 2015/03/28 11:21:57
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Can't pause this demon? More on the "Cakewalk Command Center" 2015/03/28 11:25:34 (permalink)
The Boost11 issue may be related to MC7, the plug-in is part of it's core installation by design. MC7 is now based on the new version of SONAR.
Anderton
Re: Can't pause this demon? More on the "Cakewalk Command Center" 2015/03/28 12:16:21 (permalink)
mettelus
Your explanation is truly your interpretation of the OP? Being able to recall content from posts so readily, yet applying assumption (to reach one's own ends) just as readily comes off "rather odd."

I really don't understand why this is so complicated. OP wanted easy access to new help files. SONAR has built-in easy access to new help files, which apparently the OP didn't know. In post #3 I told him how to take advantage of this easy access by clicking on Help > What's New, and even included an illustration. That sure seemed like a solution to his problem. But if you don't think that qualifies as a solution, that's fine. I just disagree that using a program's built-in help system is a workaround for finding help.

After that posts my posts dealt with issues raised in subsequent posts. 

Doktor Avalanche
Re: Can't pause this demon? More on the "Cakewalk Command Center" 2015/03/28 12:36:31 (permalink)
scook
The Boost11 issue may be related to MC7, the plug-in is part of it's core installation by design. MC7 is now based on the new version of SONAR.

It's resetting the Boost 11 file path entry in the registry hive, rather than honoring it on every install, and the DLL version is incrementing upon each monthly release even though there is no code change.

This means boost11 is always being reinstalled as a new version on every release, and not even honoring the registry file path. That is two bugs from a developer perspective. It's probably the way they are building their solution in Visual Studio and dodgy upgrade logic.

If it's part of the core installation by design then it either needs to be separated from the core, or the core installation logic needs changing but that is an entirely separate matter to the behaviour.
Anderton
Re: Can't pause this demon? More on the "Cakewalk Command Center" 2015/03/28 12:44:18 (permalink)
Doktor Avalanche
It's resetting the Boost 11 file path entry in the registry hive, rather than honoring it on every install, and the DLL version is incrementing upon each monthly release even though there is no code change.

This means boost11 is always being reinstalled as a new version on every release, and not even honoring the registry file path. That is two bugs from a developer perspective. It's probably the way they are building their solution in Visual Studio and dodgy upgrade logic.

If it's part of the core installation by design then it either needs to be separated from the core, or the core installation logic needs changing but that is an entirely separate matter to the behaviour.

Have you elucidated this in the Problem Reports forum, or PMed one of the Cakewalk folks about this? The odds are remote of them finding this at the end of a thread that was about not knowing how to find the new help files. I'm sure the kind of specific information you seem willing to provide would be helpful to Cakewalk.

Doktor Avalanche
Re: Can't pause this demon? More on the "Cakewalk Command Center" 2015/03/28 13:08:22 (permalink)
I doubt it will come as any revelations to Cakewalk, they must have been well aware of it before the patch was even released. The developers will understand how to fix the situation as I do (they have other code that works).
Anderton
Re: Can't pause this demon? More on the "Cakewalk Command Center" 2015/03/28 14:21:40 (permalink)
Doktor Avalanche
I doubt it will come as any revelations to Cakewalk, they must have been well aware of it before the patch was even released. 

Maybe not, if it's something longstanding that's been hanging around version after version, and no one noticed previously because it happened only once a year. Again, I don't understand how code and installers work, but for all I know what's there currently is just the regular installer with extras to accommodate monthly payments etc.

jbow
Max Output Level: -0.2 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7601
Re: Can't pause this demon? More on the "Cakewalk Command Center" 2015/03/28 16:11:50 (permalink)
I'm sure this is all my fault... I decided that I was going to keep my new DAW organized so I got CCC...  (Just Kidding...)
Anyway, now I am more confused than ever as to how to get and stay organized.

Carry on... everything seems to be working. I'll figure it out.

J

Sonar Platinum
Studiocat Pro 16G RAM (some bells and whistles)
HP Pavilion dm4 1165-dx (i5)-8G RAM
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
I HATE THIS CMPUTER KEYBARD!
Doktor Avalanche
Re: Can't pause this demon? More on the "Cakewalk Command Center" 2015/03/28 16:40:20 (permalink)
Doktor Avalanche
I doubt it will come as any revelations to Cakewalk, they must have been well aware of it before the patch was even released. 

Anderton
Maybe not, if it's something longstanding that's been hanging around version after version, and no one noticed previously because it happened only once a year. Again, I don't understand how code and installers work, but for all I know what's there currently is just the regular installer with extras to accommodate monthly payments etc.

Already in problem report forums twice:
Music-Creator-7-Cant-See-Boost-11
CWBRN31812-CCC-installs-old-version-of-Boost

I still can't post links yet...
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1