Catanya New Issue - Access Violation Error

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
lawp
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1154
Re: Catanya Works - X3d Thank You 2013/12/20 11:42:51 (permalink)
thanks, i think i'm waiting for the demo ;-)
arachnaut
  • Total Posts : 1168
Re: Catanya Works - X3d Thank You 2013/12/20 15:58:01 (permalink)
lawp
can anyone confirm this fixed with kirnu cream? tia

Yes, Kirnu 1.0.8 works fine.  I think that is up-to-date. I have 4 channels running right now:

- Jim Hurley -
SONAR Platinum - x64  - Windows 10 Pro 
ASUS P8P67 PRO Rev 3.0;  Core i7-2600K@4.4GHz; 16 GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X;
GeForce GT 740; Saffire Pro14 MixControl 3.7; Axiom 61
64-Bit audio, SR: 48kHz, ASIO 256 samples latency, Rec/Play I/O Buffers 512k, Total Round Trip Latency 13 ms, Pow-r 3 dither 
lawp
  • Total Posts : 1154
Re: Catanya Works - X3d Thank You 2013/12/20 16:18:31 (permalink)
good news, thanks! :-)
lawajava
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2040
Re: Catanya Works - X3d Thank You 2014/01/18 12:57:06 (permalink)
All - I'm having issues with a new Catanya 2 install.  I hadn't used it before.  I've installed it correctly I believe and can load it inserting it as a softsynth.  I've followed the instructions from the 7Aliens page on loading Catanya in Sonar.

Catanya does load to the track.  But when I click the track to start using Catanya I get access violation errors.  I've reported it to Cakewalk support, but am wondering if anyone who has experience with Catanya can give me a suggestion to help out.

Two internal 2TB SSDs laptop stuffed with Larry's deals and awesome tools. Studio One is the cat's meow as a DAW now that I've migrated off of Sonar. Using BandLab Cakewalk just to grab old files when migrating songs.
SilkTone
Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1566
Re: Catanya Works - X3d Thank You 2014/01/18 13:11:26 (permalink)
@lawajava:

I got the same exceptions. I emailed 7Aliens about the issue and they responded back that they will look into it. That was 2 weeks ago and since then I have not heard anything again.

Windows 10 Pro x64, SONAR Platinum 64-bit
Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 USB, ASRock Z97 Pro4, Haswell 4790k @ 4.4GHz
32GB DDR3/1600, 500GB SSD (OS) + 256 GB SSD + 3TB MD
NVIDIA GTX-1070, 40" 4K Monitor + 1 Monitor in ISO booth
lawajava
Re: Catanya Works - X3d Thank You 2014/01/18 14:37:51 (permalink)
Silk Tone -

So cool to hear from you on this and to know that I'm not losing my mind.  I emailed them as well, but just today. 

Two internal 2TB SSDs laptop stuffed with Larry's deals and awesome tools. Studio One is the cat's meow as a DAW now that I've migrated off of Sonar. Using BandLab Cakewalk just to grab old files when migrating songs.
auto_da_fe
Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1866
Re: Catanya Works - X3d Thank You 2014/01/19 14:41:42 (permalink)
I have sporadically seen this access violation issue as well.  

I have been trying to see if there is any way to make it consistently appear or if there is any specific trigger that makes it happen.  I seems to be truly random.  

Once I they get this fixed  (if ??), I  swear I am never upgrading anything ever again.  I have turned off Windows live patching too.

7 Aliens is notoriously slow responding to issue reports.  Would be nice if cake could tell us who should be fixing this.

HP DV6T - 2670QM, 8 GB RAM,
Sonar Platypus,  Octa Capture, BFD2 & Jamstix3, Komplete 10 and Komplete Kontrol
Win 10 64 
SLS PS8R Monitors and KRK Ergo
https://soundcloud.com/airportface
lawajava
Re: Catanya Works - X3d Thank You 2014/01/19 16:09:53 (permalink)
auto_da_fe

So your experience is that it's sporadic? It's constant with my install, so if I instantiate Catanya this error comes up and I have to use the Task Manager to quit out of Sonar X3 Producer altogether. I've only recently purchased Catanya, so this is not an ongoing issue for me. I just can't get it to work.

I wonder what's different in that you don't see this error all the time.

auto_da_fe
Re: Catanya Works - X3d Thank You 2014/01/20 09:07:26 (permalink)
Interesting.  I worked with a catanya project for hours yesterday, no issue.  However it only had one Catanya in it.

I seems that I can make the error happen pretty consistently when I have more than 1 catanya in the synth rack.

BTW - I do not have to use task manager to quit Sonar.  I just keep acknowledging the access violation about 10 times and then I can click the red X and close the window (you have to be quick !).  Each time I hit enter (okay) I notice the hex address of the violation changes.  Of course once this happens, anytime I open the catanya window the access violation happens.

If I had to guess, this seems to be graphic process related. I say this because sometimes catanya is fine until you roll the mouse over the window.  However this never happened before the last Sonar patch. Nor does it happen with any other VSTi.  This is going to be nasty one I think to find the culprit.

I will keep trying things.

JR

Sonar Platypus,  Octa Capture, BFD2 & Jamstix3, Komplete 10 and Komplete Kontrol
Win 10 64 
SilkTone
Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1566
Re: Catanya Works - X3d Thank You 2014/01/20 11:24:13 (permalink)
Yes that is also what I saw. If you move the mouse out of the Catanya window and dismiss the access violation dialog with the ESC key, the dialog doesn't re-appear until you move the mouse back into the Catanya window again. However at that point the Catanya UI no longer draws properly and things like the buttons at the top disappear.

Windows 10 Pro x64, SONAR Platinum 64-bit
Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 USB, ASRock Z97 Pro4, Haswell 4790k @ 4.4GHz
32GB DDR3/1600, 500GB SSD (OS) + 256 GB SSD + 3TB MD
NVIDIA GTX-1070, 40" 4K Monitor + 1 Monitor in ISO booth
lawajava
Re: Catanya Works - X3d Thank You 2014/01/20 13:21:00 (permalink)
auto_da_fe - okay, that's a good hint.  I had not tried going through about 10 of the error messages. I probably had given up each time after trying to click out of the errors after about 6 showed up consecutively.

I'll try escaping a bunch of times until it gives up, if it does, and note here if I was able to get in to Catanya.

I would appreciate it if you would change the title of this thread to Catanya Doesn't Work.  Perhaps if you aren't able to do that I'll start a new thread with that title just to be clear there's an issue here.  I'm really looking forward to working with it if this pesky error issue would just go away.

auto_da_fe
Re: Catanya Works - X3d Thank You 2014/01/20 13:42:19 (permalink)
Changed the title.

As Silk Tone mentions, even though you can shut down the window and continue to use Sonar, you still cannot use Catanya as the application is all screwed up.

JR

Win 10 64 
lawajava
Re: Catanya Works - X3d Thank You 2014/01/20 19:33:31 (permalink)
auto_da_fe and SilkTone,

I've tried a few things today with no progress.  Tomas from 7Aliens responded to my help ticket today (responded within 24 hours so that's cool).  His suggestion was stuff I had already tried so I've replied back to 7Aliens and will see if I get another response.

I tried escaping out of the errors but it didn't work if I escaped once or 25 times, still had the access violation error.

I also called Cakewalk support and there was a suggestion there to try the 32-bit install only and not install the 64-bit VST just in case that might be the culprit.  Attempting that turned out to be something I can't figure out because I could do the uninstall of the 64-bit and installed the 32-bit version, but the 32-bit VST no matter how hard I tried didn't get picked up in the VST scan.  I had it in the right place.  So after I re-installed the 64-bit version Sonar recognizes it, but I get the access violation error.

So, lots of attempts and troubleshooting but no luck in getting it to work so far.  I'm wondering if because I'm using Sonar Producer X3d 64-bit that perhaps Catanya isn't 64-bit ready.

lawajava
Re: Catanya Works - X3d Thank You 2014/01/20 19:42:24 (permalink)
Holy cow!  I was re-reading through auto_da_fe's message above and the mention of more than one instance in the synth rack.

So I thought I would try something I hadn't before.  I started with a brand new Sonar Producer X3d file, with no tracks or anything in the Synth rack.  It worked!  It loaded without the error!

I now have a new path to track down, because unlike auto_da_fe's issue where he was trying multiple instances of Catanya in the same song and ran into the error.  In my frustrated attempts in the messages above, I was working in my basic template file which has a couple other soft synths loaded in the synth rack - none of which is Catanya.

So perhaps it's the order that Catanya appears in the Synth rack that might have something to do with this.  At least I'm onto a new path of research after this breakthrough!

lawajava
Re: Catanya Works - X3d Thank You 2014/01/20 20:31:24 (permalink)
Last message for the moment - I've now tried it in the template that I had been attempting before.  If I remove one or two of the synths that were in the synth rack Catanya works.

By the way, Catanya works great now that I was able to get past the issue. That is, the tool has nice capabilities.

I tried to narrow down if it was one synth in particular that was causing the issue.  For example, I removed Addictive Drums from my default synth rack and Catanya worked.  So I was thinking maybe I found a relationship. Then I created a new blank file with nothing in it, put in Addictive Drums then Catanya and both worked fine.  So it wqsn't that particular VST.  I'm wondering now if I could reconstruct my template by starting with Catanya in the top position of the synth rack and if so, if I had the same number of synths would it work.  I can't see a way to drag/move which synth is in the first position in the synth rack.  For the moment I'm thinking I'll just attempt to recreate from a blank file the synth rack, with Catanya in the first position and then everything else and see if it all works.

auto_da_fe
Re: Catanya Works - X3d Thank You 2014/01/21 07:43:56 (permalink)
I tried some of the same things a while back.  I could never get anything repeatable as far as position in the synth rack, etc.  It is a weird one indeed.   

BTW...the 32 bit version of Catanya does not work in 64 bit Sonar X series, never has.  As of Sonar X1, the 32 bit version stopped working with any wrapper (tried them all). Had to wait a year or more from 7 aliens for the 64 bit version.  (same thing for Harmonizer, another cool midi plug 7 aliens makes)  The 32 bit version continued to work in most other 64 bit DAWs, but for some reason no wrapper out there made it work in Sonar.

The only way 32 bit catanya ever worked in 64 bit Sonar was using rewire with reaper. 

JR

Win 10 64 
lawajava
Re: Catanya Works - X3d Thank You 2014/02/02 12:34:50 (permalink)
For anyone that has interest in Catanya...

It works with Sonar Producer X3d just fine.  I now have four instances of Catanya stacked up in my Synth rack in my template file and have been using it successfully for weeks.  I like it.

However, I had to rebuild my template file to put Catanya near the top of my synth rack because my initial attempts at adding Catanya at the bottom of a synth rack with about 7 other soft synths loaded prior to it had been causing the access violation error (which ends in a system crash requiring a safe mode reboot).

So, everything has been going smoothly as I say.  However, today I added to a file that had been working splendidly an instance of Session Drummer 3 with multiple outs (individual midi tracks per kit piece).   It was after I added Session Drummer 3 (again for the first time since getting past the access violation errors from weeks ago), that the access violation error popped up again.

I've now tried using the same file, including Session Drummer 3, but freezing Session Drummer 3 to keep it in there as a placeholder.  It seems to be working again.  I'll be watching to see if this continues to work fine.  And I'll be observing if when I unfreeze Session Drummer 3 that it kicks off the error again.  Session Drummer 3 was included in my original template file when I was having the issues that I originally posted messages above (prior to getting Catanya to work).

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1