Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Bob Oister
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2766
2011/10/24 17:26:49 (permalink)

"Cemetery Wind" (Instrumental Intro)

Hi, Guys,

This is just a very short instrumental intro that will lead off my CD which I hope to release next month.  It's definitely my fastest and shortest recording, with the least tracks that I've ever done.  Everything took a little less than 40 minutes total, doing one shot first takes, with practically no editing or mixing involved.  I just did a little touch of EQ and volume leveling and that was that.

Just a little back story, I came up with the title and clean rhythm guitar part many years ago, on today's date, while standing by my Mother's grave two nights after her funeral.  So, in all truth, let's make the total time that I listed above, 24 years and 40 minutes.  It is what it is, and pretty much represents exactly how I felt at the time.

Please give it a listen if you can, and let me know what you think.  As always, any and all helpful comments, suggestions, constructive criticism, input and ideas are welcome, and also greatly appreciated!

"Cemetery Wind"

128kbps MP3 on SoundClick at: http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11160908

or...

Better Quality MP3, First Song on the Player at: www.BobOister.com

Many t
hanks in advance for your opinions, suggestions and comments!
Bob

46 Replies Related Threads

BenMMusTech
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2606
    Re:"Cemetery Wind" (Instrumental Intro) 2011/10/24 17:31:53 (permalink)
    Ok I loved the introduction, very Pink Floyd, it sounds like it could be an introduction to a new Pink Floyd album.
    I wouldn't do much else, it's really a vignette or a pt1 you could certinly do a part two but I would leave the track as is.

Really good job Peace Ben

Benjamin Phillips-Bachelor of Creative Technology (Sound and Audio Production), (Hons) Sonic Arts, MMusTech (Master of Music Technology), M.Phil (Fine Art)
    http://1331.space/
    https://thedigitalartist.bandcamp.com/
    http://soundcloud.com/aaudiomystiks
    thepogue
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2458
    Re:"Cemetery Wind" (Instrumental Intro) 2011/10/24 18:12:01 (permalink)
    Always brings a smile to me face Bob....loved it...nitty gritty...and in your grill!! Hope your well me brudda....can't wait for the CD!
    ProjectM
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3941
    Re:"Cemetery Wind" (Instrumental Intro) 2011/10/24 18:33:00 (permalink)
    Really cool tune! Really good playing.

Perhaps the guitar sound was a little "waspy" - would have been nice with a clearer tone and less of the DI feel.

But the playing is great and all in all it sounds awesome. It's a kick ass intro for an album. Looking forward to hear the whole album some day!

(Sonar Platinum - Win10 x64) - iMac and 13" MacBook - Logic Pro X ++ - UA Apollo Twin DUO - NI Maschine MKII - NI Komplete Kontrol S61 - Novation Nocturne - KRK Rokit 6
    Soundcloud
    Negative Vibe Records
    Guitarpima
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4125
    Re:"Cemetery Wind" (Instrumental Intro) 2011/10/24 19:46:23 (permalink)
    Nice one!

Definitly shades of Pink Floyd while retaining originality. It's more heavy.

Well done!

Notation, the original DAW. Everything else is just rote. We are who we are and no more than another. Humans, you people are crazy.

Win 7 x64  X2  Intel DX58SO, Intel i7 920 2.66ghz 12gb DDR3  ASUS ATI EAH5750  650w PSU 4x WD HDs 320gb  DVD, DVD RW Eleven Rack, KRK Rokit 8s and 10s sub
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:"Cemetery Wind" (Instrumental Intro) 2011/10/24 19:48:28 (permalink)
    nice.... love the contrast between the clean and the sustained

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    CLEAN
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    Re:"Cemetery Wind" (Instrumental Intro) 2011/10/24 21:25:49 (permalink)
    Hi Bob, you just blow my mind.

You're unbelieveable - this is fantastic - truly enjoyed every second of this tune.

THE PUGTONES
    Mark
    Scottytunes
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5695
    Re:"Cemetery Wind" (Instrumental Intro) 2011/10/24 22:53:37 (permalink)
    Very cool, Bob! I would fade it longer at the end though....seems to end too abruptly.

String Jammer
    Thatsastrat
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1267
    Re:"Cemetery Wind" (Instrumental Intro) 2011/10/25 03:37:06 (permalink)
    Hey Bob!
    Nice Job my man. You have captured a sense of being alone with your thoughts and sadness with this piece. At least thats the emotions that I had from listening.
    notnat
    Max Output Level: -23 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5236
    Re:"Cemetery Wind" (Instrumental Intro) 2011/10/25 10:35:24 (permalink)
    Hi Bob... good mix for a dark mood piece... well done...
    jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    Re:"Cemetery Wind" (Instrumental Intro) 2011/10/25 10:41:54 (permalink)
    Terrific stuff.

I would just move the lead back a hair and give it some reverb, so it is almost part of the wind, if you get what I mean.
    mgh
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:"Cemetery Wind" (Instrumental Intro) 2011/10/25 10:46:14 (permalink)
    nice one Bob, good album opener/closer...i agree with James, the lead needs to be a little quieter...does this Cemetery Wind have anything to do with the GAS we see on here?!

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    CreatingNoise
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1666
    Re:"Cemetery Wind" (Instrumental Intro) 2011/10/25 11:28:24 (permalink)
    Bob,
      Very cool instrumental and a great way to start a CD.  Thumbs up from these ears!!!  Can't wait to buy a copy of your new CD!

PS--I listened to your last tune but didn't have time to post.  Sounded great!!
    morenoise
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1074
    Re:"Cemetery Wind" (Instrumental Intro) 2011/10/25 12:45:53 (permalink)
    Hi Bob, great stuff, man. Think this will work very well as an intro to the rest of your tunes.
    If I'm really nitpicking I would like it if the vibrato started a bit slower, sort of matching the slow pace of the tune, just an idea : ).

Rik
    darylcrowley
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2700
    Re:"Cemetery Wind" (Instrumental Intro) 2011/10/25 20:23:16 (permalink)
    I love the bassy bottom you always capture on your tunes.

I like the wind concept, but that particular wind loop or patch doesn't sound as smooth as I think the song deserves, it seems a little coarse.  But I like the arrangement.

Daryl

Daryl Crowley
    Sonica Labs I7 Quad Core -
    Windows 7 64bit Professional
    Sonar 8.5 Producer - Ozone 4
    http://www.darylcrowley.com/
    Freddy J
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2348
    Re:"Cemetery Wind" (Instrumental Intro) 2011/10/26 20:45:54 (permalink)
    What a terrific lead in to a cd.  Awesome playing and a very thoughtful song!
    I look forward to your cd coming out.

Freddy J
    Janet
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:"Cemetery Wind" (Instrumental Intro) 2011/10/26 22:08:49 (permalink)
    That is great, Bob!  And perfectly captures the wind that blows most of the time where my mom was buried 20 years ago.  I think it's a great intro to your CD.  Love the tune and the playing.  

I don't know how you were able to wait 24 years to record it though.  I've had a tune buzzing around in my head for 2 weeks and it's about to drive me mad!  lol
    theguitarplayer
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3523
    Re:"Cemetery Wind" (Instrumental Intro) 2011/10/27 09:28:05 (permalink)
    Bob, Awesome sound. Kind of makes you feel like your out in the cemetery on a cold wind night (not that I have ever done that). Like the change ups with the guitar. Nicely done. Blessings, John

Sonar X3 Studio, Acid Pro 7, Sound Forge Pro 9, Sonicfire Pro 5, Kinetic 2, Cinescore, HP Pavilion dv7, CORE i7, Q-740, 8gb Ram, Windows 7- 64 bit, 4 tb mem , Audiobox USB, Digitech GNX4, Gibson SG1 & SG3, Martin J65M, Washburn Custom Cumberland, 3 Marshall Amps, Casio 365 Keyboard, M-Audio Axiom AIR Mini 32,  Behringer Truth Monitors, Garritan Aria, EWQLCC, Alloy 2, Ozone 6, Melodyne 

http://www.soundclick.com/JohnRKennedy
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re:"Cemetery Wind" (Instrumental Intro) 2011/10/27 16:38:24 (permalink)
    That's great Bob, nice to hear you letting loose like that. Some real tension in the lead guitar, heartfelt stuff.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    markno999
    Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1450
    Re:"Cemetery Wind" (Instrumental Intro) 2011/10/27 22:59:50 (permalink)
    Bob,

Sounds great.  I think the music fade needs to be a little longer at the end before the wind sound comes back in, but other than that, no suggestions.  Outstanding.  
    Bob Oister
    Re:"Cemetery Wind" (Instrumental Intro) 2011/10/29 04:42:30 (permalink)
    BenMMusTech:

Hey, Ben,

Thank you very much for giving this a listen, and for your very kind words!  I really appreciate your input, and I'm very glad that you enjoyed it.

Have a good one one!
    Bob
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

thepogue:

Hey, Tom,

How are you, man?  Having a rockin' weekend, I hope!

Thanks for checking in on this one for me, and for your encouragement and support.  You and Tony, have always been very generous to me with valuable input and great advice, and your DT stuff is always top-notch.  Your new song, "Time to Fly" totally ROCKS!

I really appreciate it, brother.  Have a great weekend!
    Bob
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ProjectM:

Hi, Marius,

Thank you very much for giving this song a listen, and for your words of encouragement!  I truly appreciate you taking time to listen and comment, and your observations and input really mean a lot to me.

Have a dynamite weekend, Marius!
    Bob
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guitarpima:

Hey, Guitarpima,

Thanks for checking in on this one for me, and for your very kind words!  I really appreciate your comments, and value your opinion highly.

Have a great weekend, buddy!

Bob
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    bandontherun19
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 824
    Re:"Cemetery Wind" (Instrumental Intro) 2011/10/29 12:40:34 (permalink)
    Sounded great on my notebook speaks!

All you need is love, just ask the Beatles?
    ----------
    zgraf
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 350
    Re:"Cemetery Wind" (Instrumental Intro) 2011/10/29 17:12:30 (permalink)
    Splendid playing.  But like another poster mentioned, maybe some more verb on the lead guitar track?  
    The tone is....
    Oh heck, I dunno.  Maybe it's fine as is.
    The background wind sounds great.
    post edited by zgraf - 2011/10/29 17:14:57
    wayofmind
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 101
    Re:"Cemetery Wind" (Instrumental Intro) 2011/10/29 19:10:31 (permalink)
    Really love the tone of the lead. Personally I think the reverb is fine, just a smidge too harsh in the high end. Just a SMIDGE!

www.richieblac.com 
    Sonar X3e Producer x64
    Nuendo 4 
    AMD FX 8350
    16gb RAM 1600mhz
    Windows 8.1
    PreSonus Firestudio
    radio
    • Total Posts : 2782
    Re:"Cemetery Wind" (Instrumental Intro) 2011/10/31 10:26:13 (permalink)
    WOW BOB where did you dig this one up , love this one !
    Your guitar really shakes the ground your standing on my friend , this one for sure can wake up anything buried beneath you .

Radio

Bob Oister
    Re:"Cemetery Wind" (Instrumental Intro) 2011/10/31 17:58:29 (permalink)
    Guitarhacker:

Hey, Herb,

Thank you, sir, for checking in on this one for me, and for your very kind words!  I really appreciate it, buddy, Happy Halloween!

Bob
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CLEAN:

Hey, Mark,

It's really great to see you back around the forum, buddy!  Thank you so much for giving this a listen and for your words of encouragement.

I greatly appreciate your input and comments, Happy Halloween, my friend!
    Bob
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scottytunes:

Hey, Scotty,

Thanks, buddy, I really appreciate your kind words and good input!

Yep, it's a bit short because it was just meant as a quick, one-shot intro into "Razor's Edge", and I didn't want it to be more than two minutes long being the first thing on the CD.

Thanks again, Scotty, I greatly appreciate your support and friendship.  Have a very Happy Halloween!

Bob
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thatsastrat:

Hi, Bruce,

Thanks, buddy, for checking in on this one for me and for your kind comments and observations!

Yeah, it was almost a feeling of a release to get how I felt that night out, after 24 years on the actual anniversary of the heavy emotional spark that I felt standing there in the wind and rain.  I guess it's good that sometimes even a tragedy in life can inspire creativity.

Thanks again, buddy, Happy Halloween!

Bob
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

notnat:

Hey, Frank,

Thank you my friend for stopping by on this one and for your very kind words!  I always look forward to and greatly appreciate your input.

Have a Happy Halloween!

Bob
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bob Oister
    Re:"Cemetery Wind" (Instrumental Intro) 2011/11/01 05:00:24 (permalink)
    jamesyoyo:

Hi, James,

Thanks for listening, and for your input and good suggestion on this one.  Great idea, I'm going to try adding some extra reverb to the lead, as per your suggestion, sometime later this week.

By the way, your new orchestral piece, in honor of your uncle was absolutely amazing, outstanding job!

Thanks again for checking in on this one and for all of your help in the past, I greatly appreciate it. Have a great night!
    Bob
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mgh:

Hey, Mark,

How are you, buddy?  Thanks for taking time to check this one out for me, and for your kind words!

Sometime later this week, I'm going to try your and James' suggestion of lowering the solos and adding some more reverb.  Hopefully, I'll be able to hit a happy medium that works.

Thanks again, Mark, and killer job on your new COF cover, great stuff!  Have a good one.
    Bob
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CreatingNoise:

Hey, Tony,

How's it going, brother?  Doing great, I hope!

Thanks for giving this a listen and also for your kind words!  Yep, I'm hoping to finally get the CD out by the end of November.  It can really get time consuming trying to do this stuff by yourself, all the while trying to improve the recording and mixing skills needed.  All I can say is that all the great members of this forum providing generous input, observations, opinions and supportive comments have been a real lifesaver, and invaluable throughout the entire experience.

Thanks again, Tony, I really appreciate all the input and encouragement that I get from you and Tom.  Have a good one, buddy!
    Bob
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

morenoise:

Hi, Rik,

How are you, my friend?  Doing well, I hope!

Thank you for checking out this song intro for me, and for your kind words and input!  I really appreciate your comment because this is my very first "strictly" instrumental piece, and you provide the forum with some of the very best instrumentals that I've heard.

Also, thanks for your good suggestion, I'm going to keep that in mind for the future.  This was kind of a spur of the moment, last minute, quick recording driven by pure emotion with no forethought.  After recording the rhythm tracks, I just clicked the Record button and let it flow for just under two minutes and then clicked Stop, and that was it.

Thanks again, Rik, you're a wonderful musician, and always a true gentleman.  Have a great night!
    Bob
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

darylcrowley:

Hi, Daryl,

Thanks for giving this a listen and for your input and kind words!

I know what you mean, I checked out about a dozen wind sound effects, and kept coming back to this one because it just felt "colder" sounding to me, like late October wind in freezing rain here in Northeast Pa.  The smoother effects sounded more like gentle summer breezes or all out hurricanes, so this was closest to what I remembered from that particular night.

Speaking of the weather, we had about a foot of snow here on Saturday, and in three days it's supposed to be sixty-five degrees again.  Life can be strange here in the Northeast!

Thanks again, Daryl, have a great night, buddy!
    Bob
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

rhynosynth
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 520
    Re:"Cemetery Wind" (Instrumental Intro) 2011/11/01 09:08:42 (permalink)
    Killer intro Bob. You got the right touch on those big lead lines and each one hangs over the backing music just the right amount of time. Really opens the door. I'd prefer a bit more of a fade out but that's subjective and easy enough. Razors Edge sounds cool kickin in after.
    Bob Oister
    Re:"Cemetery Wind" (Instrumental Intro) 2011/11/02 18:11:18 (permalink)
    Freddy J:

Hi, Freddy,

Thank you very much for giving this a listen, and for your very nice words, I greatly appreciate your input and your kindness!  Keep on rockin' those killer blues, buddy!

Have a great evening, Freddy!
    Bob

Janet:

Hi, Janet,

How are, you?  I hope you had a great time on your recent vacation!  Thanks for checking this out and for your kind words.

Yeah, I'll never forget that wind and cold rain on my face that night.  It's my first and only song with no lyrics, because for the first time in my life, I didn't know what to say.  I remember getting home and pulling out one of those old fashioned desk cassette recorders and playing the chord pattern on my electric guitar with no amp, and just getting the chords recorded from the string noise.  Well at least after 24 years, I was finally able to get it out of my system and into this short intro.  So, I guess some good can come out of just about anything.

Thanks again for the listen and your comments, I always look forward to your input, and greatly appreciate it.  Have a great night!
    Bob

theguitarplayer:

Hi, John,

Thank you very much for giving this a listen, and also for your encouraging comments!  I greatly appreciate you taking the time to listen and value your input highly.

Have a great week, John!
    Bob

jamesg1213:

Hi, James,

How are you, my friend?  Doing well, I hope!

Thanks for checking in on this one for me, and also for your kind words!  I really appreciate your comments, because your solos in your SMB songs are always so tasty and rich with strong emotional flavor.  Every note in your instrumental solos sets a scene and tells part of the story, and that's part of what makes your and Larry's music so unique and fantastic.

Thanks again, James, have a great week, and tell Larry that I said hello!
    Bob

SeriousNoise:

Hey, Bobby,

Thanks for giving this one a listen for me, and for your very kind words!  I appreciate you checking in on this, and I'm really glad that you liked it.

Thanks again, and have a great week, Bobby!
    Bob

Bob Oister
    Re:"Cemetery Wind" (Instrumental Intro) 2011/11/03 17:45:54 (permalink)
    markno999:

Hey, Mark,

Thanks, buddy,

I really appreciate you checking it out for me, and your input and kind comments!  Fantastic job on your recent ELO cover with Cian, dynamite stuff, my friend!

Have a great night,
    Bob
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bandontherun19:

Hey, Robby,

Thanks a lot, brother, I really appreciate you stopping by on this one for me, and also your kind words!  I always look forward to your input and observations.

Have a great night!

Bob
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

zgraf:

Hey, zgraf,

Thanks, man, I really appreciate you taking time to listen and comment! 

Your comment about the reverb is exactly how I felt while mixing the song.  First I thought there was too much, so I pulled it back a little.  Now a couple of posters think it needs more and others think the reverb is about right, so I'm going to give it just a touch more this weekend, and see if I can find a happy medium.

Thanks again for listening and commenting, I'm very grateful that you did.  Have a good one!
    Bob
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

wayofmind:

Hi, wayofmind,

Thanks very much for giving this a listen, your kind words and input, and taking time to comment.

Since the very quick recording job on this, I've been on the fence about the reverb, and as I mentioned above to zgraf, I ended up pulling the reverb on the lead back for the final mix.  It seems that, much like you, zgraf, and myself, most of the comments are about 50/50 for adding more reverb, or that it's already got just about enough.  I'm going to experiment once more this weekend to see how things end up.

Thanks again for your input and good observations, it's exactly why this forum is such a great place.  Have a good one!
    Bob
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SeriousNoise:

Thanks again for your original comments, Bobby, and also for your edited post correction.

Have a good one!
    Bob
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

radio:

Hi, James,

Thank you for checking in on this one for me, and also for your encouraging comments!

Also, great job on your new flight sim video, really cool stuff!  Have a great night, James!
    Bob
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1