Come-on! Post your impressions of Dim Pro

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
cityrat
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 671
2005/11/15 11:25:30 (permalink)

Come-on! Post your impressions of Dim Pro

So I'm still on the fence - for those who have received Dimension Pro: how is it? What are the new sounds like? Any improvement in performance? Loading, sounds?????

Im especially interested in the "atmosphere" sounds (the "Dimensions"). Can someone post a new list of Dim Pro voices??

38 Replies Related Threads

cityrat
    RE: Come-on! Post your impressions of Dim Pro 2005/11/16 15:18:23 (permalink)
    Anyone?? Or are you all in a Dimension coma from playing with 1500+ sounds???
    amac
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 184
    RE: Come-on! Post your impressions of Dim Pro 2005/11/16 16:27:17 (permalink)
    I'm not coming up for air quite yet
    holymoly
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 108
    RE: Come-on! Post your impressions of Dim Pro 2005/11/17 16:47:25 (permalink)
    cityrat - I'm chiming in to let you know I just ordered my box and will receive it sometime next week. Once I've had a chance to give it a good test drive....I'll let you know my initial impressions. I have high hopes for it, though!

It's very quiet in these parts right now, but hopefully over time we'll see more and more folks discussing DPro in here.

Cheers!
    MurderDethKill
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1904
    RE: Come-on! Post your impressions of Dim Pro 2005/11/17 18:55:48 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: cityrat

Anyone?? Or are you all in a Dimension coma from playing with 1500+ sounds???

damn, we've been ratted out...
    post edited by MurderDethKill - 2005/11/17 18:56:31

My site i guess;)
    Monstruousubergeekyhardcorefunkytrancepolkaoptimism Lives!!!
    mgarrett010461
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 248
    RE: Come-on! Post your impressions of Dim Pro 2005/11/17 23:06:49 (permalink)

I have had it for about 2 weeks, My personal opinion is that it is awsome....

The synth itself is the most versatile instrument I have experienced.

So far I have done a cursory run through the samples, which I think are very well done,
    and arranged. Also, the samples are not overproduced, giving me much better control of
    the overall sound.

I have been working on one piece using the fretless bass, and today was surprised by
    how good it sounded. (And I am a bass player). I decided to use dimension rather
    than my own bass......

The most value I have recieved for 99.00 in a long time!!!
    fac
    Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2427
    RE: Come-on! Post your impressions of Dim Pro 2005/11/17 23:42:33 (permalink)
    It's a piece of crap. The sounds are simply unusable. There's no point trying to tweak them. So far I've gotten better sounds from my toilet. And don't even get me started on the CPU usage. I can't have a single instance running decently.

Now, my opinion might change *after* I actually buy it and use it, but until that happens...

http://facproductions.net

Lots of gear. Not enough time.
    holymoly
    RE: Come-on! Post your impressions of Dim Pro 2005/11/17 23:46:50 (permalink)
    I'm a guitar player myself, mg, but don't own a bass (yet). I've been flirting with the idea of getting one, but simply don't have the space right now in my little home office/studio to accomodate such a beast. So your news is very good news for me. Of course, I didn't get it just for the bass, though! :)

Let me ask you this: Would you consider DPro your "go to synth" now? You know...that synth you always pull up first because it's inspiring...?
    holymoly
    RE: Come-on! Post your impressions of Dim Pro 2005/11/18 00:01:10 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: fac

It's a piece of crap. The sounds are simply unusable. There's no point trying to tweak them. So far I've gotten better sounds from my toilet. And don't even get me started on the CPU usage. I can't have a single instance running decently.

Now, my opinion might change *after* I actually buy it and use it, but until that happens...

Yo fac! Ha-ha! Did you see what I ordered today? Thanks again for the input the other day...really do appreciate it.

Eventhough "the other tool" we spoke about probably does a wonderful job (and their support seems to be top notch)....my gut told me to go DPro. Rene and a few others answered some questions I had over at KVR on DPro and after being very happy with what I read - it was practically a no-brainer for me. Mind you....I don't own and have never owned Project5 as I use it's nemesis - Live. Alright folks...calm down....I'm not here for Live Flaming :) So having never even tried Dimension...I've read great things about it and it sounds like a tool that's going to end up making a dent in the VST community and one that I will surely cherish owning.

So get used to me around here as I'll surely be causing a riot, esp. if DPro lives up to it's reputation. :)

Cheers....
    post edited by holymoly - 2005/11/18 00:03:56
    James D
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 182
    RE: Come-on! Post your impressions of Dim Pro 2005/11/18 01:03:52 (permalink)
    Well,

After having Dimension Pro since last week, I....I .... can't comment. I just started installing it 15 minutes ago, and I am noticing that I will be waiting a very long time until I get to use it tonight,... make that in the morning. I am only on the first DVD and it's been a while.

It's installing the strings section now "1 Stings.7z.022".

Peace,

Enjoy the sweet sound of music forever!
    Sonar5
    techead
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    RE: Come-on! Post your impressions of Dim Pro 2005/11/18 08:28:38 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: mgarrett010461
    Also, the samples are not overproduced, giving me much better control of
    the overall sound.

Hey Michael, how would you describe overproduced?
    mgarrett010461
    • Total Posts : 248
    RE: Come-on! Post your impressions of Dim Pro 2005/11/18 10:16:47 (permalink)
    Yes it has become my go to instrument. Not only do I use the supplied instruments, but have created sfz files for alot of the samples which used to just lay around on disks, alowing me to actually use them.

I have barely cracked the surface!! This is from my very limited experience.....

Overproduced:

Many sample synth instrument samples, are made to sound 'good' by equalization, compression and chorus or delay
    (at the wav file level as opposed to post processing). When I add an instrument to a track, I want the instrument not the processing chain, and I want some dymanic range of the player left intact so that I can control the attack dynamics of the instrument. If you have ever been in the studio and A/B'd the direct instrument or mic in and compared that to the processed version you will know what I mean. Different sounds...... My bass always goes into the desk raw with no tone boost or cut. I never play it that way live, but after the EQ, Compression etc (punch ins on some screwy notes) it sounds totally different.

This is not to say that people who will want processed sounds will not be satisfied, there are plenty of those too,
    Pads, Leads, chorused basses etc. My experience so far involves raw instruments. There is tons of content.
    The synth is good at many things!! Controlling post processing is one of them.

My laptop is an old HP ze5170 2GHz P4, 512 MB using an emu 1616m, I do not have CPU issues, and if I freeze the tracks
    that I am not working on, can play dimension or z3ta live, with 7 - 10 msec latency. Not bad!

Bottom Line.. I find dimension easy to use, extremely powerfull (sfz and all that) and it sounds good. That
    combined with ALOT of good samples, supplied and my own, make it an easy choice for a 'goto' instrument.
    Paradroid
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 454
    RE: Come-on! Post your impressions of Dim Pro 2005/11/19 05:05:43 (permalink)
    Yeah, Dimension Pro. It's **** hot.What else was my response gonna be?
    Mitch_I
    • Total Posts : 212
    RE: Come-on! Post your impressions of Dim Pro 2005/11/20 11:50:21 (permalink)
    I've had Dimension Pro for a few days, and I'm really impressed with the quantity and quality of usable patches. Especially the "Dimensions," pads, and Electronica Collection. Here are some other comments:

Fans of Jean-Michel Jarre will be happy to see at least 5 (?) emulations of his signature patches.

There are a dozen or so instruments in the Ethnic and World category. I was hoping for more, but there are more ethnic percussion patches.

Don't buy Dimension Pro for the "orchestral scrapes" advertised on the bottom left of this page. There aren't any. But there are four orchestral scapes that could be useful.

A couple of very small quirks:

Usually the patch browser displays the extension (.prog) after the patch name. I'd rather it didn't.

On leads and other monophonic patches, the Multisample window displays Polyphony=0. Seems like this should be 1.

All in all, Dim Pro has a great engine combined with a great collection of instruments.

Mitch I.

fac
    Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2427
    RE: Come-on! Post your impressions of Dim Pro 2005/11/20 12:11:08 (permalink)
    On leads and other monophonic patches, the Multisample window displays Polyphony=0. Seems like this should be 1.

In other thread, René explained that when polyphony is set to zero, it activates legato mode (ie.- playing legato notes do not retrigger the envelopes). I guess that when polyphony is one the envs will retrigger, which is useful for some leads and bass patches.

http://facproductions.net

Lots of gear. Not enough time.
    cityrat
    RE: Come-on! Post your impressions of Dim Pro 2005/11/20 14:54:03 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Mitch_I

I've had Dimension Pro for a few days, and I'm really impressed with the quantity and quality of usable patches. Especially the "Dimensions," pads, and Electronica Collection. Here are some other comments:

Mitch_I - Thats just the type of ino that I was looking for! Are there a lot MORE "Dimensions" (atmospheres) type sounds compared to what comes with Dimension in P5???
    Mitch_I
    • Total Posts : 212
    RE: Come-on! Post your impressions of Dim Pro 2005/11/20 16:47:10 (permalink)
    I didn't count exactly, but I figure there are maybe 200-225 Dimension patches, and almost that many pads. not including the 35 pads in the Electronica Collection.

Mitch I.
    cityrat
    RE: Come-on! Post your impressions of Dim Pro 2005/11/20 19:10:40 (permalink)
    I just cant staaand it any longer - just bought it ..... early chirstmas present!

Its just got everything going for it:

sfz is waaay cool.
    Then sounds are GREAT!!
    CW support (make that Rene' support!)
    The interface is great - powerful w/o being too complicated with 1000 knobs , sliders etc
    Did I mention it sounds great?
    post edited by cityrat - 2005/11/20 19:12:55
    saturdaysaint
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 447
    RE: Come-on! Post your impressions of Dim Pro 2005/11/20 21:13:18 (permalink)
    It's amazing! Many of the existing presets can only be described as a stunning leap forward over their original incarnations in regular Dimension. Many of the sounds in the pad and dimesions sections that were cool sounding but a little bit too big to work in most songs are now truly expressive instruments that practically beg for a place in any mix.

There are some minor disappointments. In general, its strength are clearly the synthesized, out-there sounds and some areas (the various brass sounds and the very limited choir section) are much more hit-or-miss than, say, the Dimensions. Then again, the few disappointments are more than offset by countless pleasant surprises. So far, it's a synth-lover's dream - something you can pick up and happily use to build complete arrangements.
    RockMaestro
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1245
    RE: Come-on! Post your impressions of Dim Pro 2005/11/21 00:39:22 (permalink)
    Thanks for that review Saturday. I was considering Dimension Pro partially for the choirs, but I opted for a dedicated choir sample CD for that requirement of mine. Even though its too late to factor into that first decision, I'm glad to hear what the choir samples are like in Dimension.

I have P5 V2, so I have the original Dimension, and I've used it in a few songs, mostly with the strings or the "dimension" pads.

I'm thinking I might flush a bit more dough on samples, and I'm thinking either Kompakt or Dimension Pro. I already have Kontakt 2 and the original Dimension, so I'll be duplicating some sounds either way.

Does anyone know if Dimension has solo strings (violin, viola, and cello) and if they're any good?

Peter
    René
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Come-on! Post your impressions of Dim Pro 2005/11/22 19:58:21 (permalink)
    Does anyone know if Dimension has solo strings (violin, viola, and cello) and if they're any good?

Dimension Pro features the solo strings from Garritan Pocket Orchestra, a subset of Garritan Personal Orchestra.

There are some minor disappointments. In general, its strength are clearly the synthesized, out-there sounds and some areas (the various brass sounds and the very limited choir section) are much more hit-or-miss than, say, the Dimensions. Then again, the few disappointments are more than offset by countless pleasant surprises. So far, it's a synth-lover's dream - something you can pick up and happily use to build complete arrangements.

Every sample collection has some disappointments, regardless of style, size and price. That said, I suggest to think in Dimension Pro shipped contents as 'the beginning'.

We'll be doing our best to pack it, bug 3rd parties to pack it, and motivate users to pack it. We almost have this agreement with Dunkin Donuts to bundle something with DP done

-René
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Come-on! Post your impressions of Dim Pro 2005/11/22 22:10:59 (permalink)
    We almost have this agreement with Dunkin Donuts to bundle something with DP done
    I hope it's more coffee.
    Rene: in a word, Magnifique! Or, rather: Magnifico?
    Just came to take a peek and see what goes on in these parts. Where's the rest of the Instruments? <g>
    lawapa
    • Total Posts : 1144
    RE: Come-on! Post your impressions of Dim Pro 2005/11/22 23:12:34 (permalink)
    I'm loaded Dimension that is, It's a cherry synth. Of course I'd like a little more control in the interface/gui. But I can terrorize samples in SoundForge, Awave, and import them in. `Rene has stated this is only the beginning. So I look forward to this evolution of Dimension. This front end allows a lot of tweakin to a patch but sample access is hidden. I guess Cakewalk was on the lets get this thing to market now. And I can see why. It's a beauty. And for most it's all that's needed. Quite a list of effectors to tweak. And it goes on and on. Envelope display for all those parameters was a nice touch. I like seeing what's happening to it, as well as the listen. There is so much to be happy about. But now I need to redo all my sequences using this tool. OK I admit it's no where near as much work to redo my tunes than to build this monster from the ground up.
    shea
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 343
    RE: Come-on! Post your impressions of Dim Pro 2005/12/03 09:33:21 (permalink)
    Hi

Hello everybody

The highest quality synth available on the market,apart from kontakt, but on par

shea
    lawapa
    RE: Come-on! Post your impressions of Dim Pro 2005/12/03 10:31:01 (permalink)
    I have 2 NI products, FM7 and Vocator. I got the SFZ straight off and thought it would evolve into something great. Well it did but I think the arc has moved to a new name, Dimension. When you compare It to Kontact does it have the same level of control and soundquality as Dimension? I ask this because I have heard so much about this sampler and well Rene does have it as well. I bet Rene has one of everthing as he does need to test out all possibilities. But would I miss out if I didn't have Kontact?
    shea
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 343
    RE: Come-on! Post your impressions of Dim Pro 2005/12/03 19:38:26 (permalink)
    Hi
    with dim pro you probabally wouldnt.

shea
    Gerry
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 861
    RE: Come-on! Post your impressions of Dim Pro 2005/12/04 06:24:38 (permalink)
    It's quite simply The Dogs Balls. Sorry for being technical LOL. Just on presets alone its superb, it has almost made all my other synths redundant.
    Best 99 Bucks/Euros I have ever spent. If you haven't got it, best consider its crap otherwise you will go into deep gloom mode.
    Believe me I have purchased synths just on hype and have been really dissappointed. One in particular that proposes to give a true Sax sound remains un-usable because to my ears it just doesn't do it. Dimension Pro does the lot and does them all well and some brilliantly.

Gerry

Those who can't dance always blame the band.
    http://www.gerrycooper.com/

foresthill
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 36
    RE: Come-on! Post your impressions of Dim Pro 2005/12/17 18:23:54 (permalink)
    I'm looking for a great multi-instrument synth plugin to use with Sonar. I was just about to buy Reason but am now leaning toward Dimension Pro. Any thoughts on how they compare? $250 appears to be the best price on the web....anybody a better price?
    lawapa
    RE: Come-on! Post your impressions of Dim Pro 2005/12/17 22:13:26 (permalink)
    OK reason compairs to P5-2. It does have the dimension just not the pro. If you get P5-2 you can up to pro for $99. That's
    $99. for 5 more gigs of sample content. With P5-2 you get a bunch of synths all available in Sonar. It's good value for the buck :)+). And the quality of these synths is well I don't own reason so I can not compare but I do own P5-2 AND dPRO and I'm a happy camper.
    post edited by lawapa - 2005/12/17 22:15:11
    torhan
    Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4271
    RE: Come-on! Post your impressions of Dim Pro 2005/12/18 22:04:10 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: foresthill

I'm looking for a great multi-instrument synth plugin to use with Sonar. I was just about to buy Reason but am now leaning toward Dimension Pro. Any thoughts on how they compare? $250 appears to be the best price on the web....anybody a better price?

$207 + $8 'handling fees' + free shippping: http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail.asp?dpno=645712

Sonar Platinum
    Premier Tracks
    ASCAP
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1