Helpful ReplyCompress or Limit? Or both?

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
Danny Danzi
  • Total Posts : 5810
Re: Compress or Limit? Or both? 2015/07/06 11:45:18 (permalink)
Bus compression: what I'm looking for there is sort of like a glue for the multi instruments being sent to that particular bus, if that makes sense? It's like I no longer hear say 2 guitars, I hear an entity of the group. I just comp the bus track until it sounds right and stays tight. I never try to over think anything. However, you can try that attack/release thing you mentioned to see how it works. I haven't felt the need to get that deep with it in all honesty.

As for Rx advanced, I believe it has the same capability to raise and lower peaks like adobe, but I don't use it for that. What I meant about the comparison I made was, the interface in Rx really reminds me of adobe. It's laid out in a similar fashion. But if I'm not mistaken, I believe it does adjust volume peaks the same way. I'll  check on that for you if you need me to?

-Danny

post edited by Danny Danzi - 2015/07/06 11:52:44

My Site
Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
Amine Belkhouche
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 142
Re: Compress or Limit? Or both? 2015/07/06 20:31:39 (permalink)
Thanks Danny, I appreciate the replies. You don't have to check on the RX thing, I appreciate though. Between your automation trick and the GVST GClip, I think I have some ways I can handle rogue transients effectively.
olemon
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 768
Re: Compress or Limit? Or both? 2015/07/07 10:54:32 (permalink)
That's quite a ride.  Thanks for the discussion.  Always informative when you experts weigh in.

I'm using maximizers - limiters/compressors by another name I guess - I've never used a limiter on a track.  As a singer-songwriter, I record vocals and sometimes guitars, but all the other instruments and drums I use on a song are either wav files I import or from drum synths (EZD 2 is my fav).

I record vocals somewhere around -18db to -12db.  The imported instrument tracks might be louder than that, but I just use the track/bus Gain, Blue Cat's gain plugin, or even a compressor at 1:1 if needs be to get levels close before I adjust faders.  It's stuck in my head that faders are best near unity (M. Senior).  I do use volume automation envelopes depending on the situation.

Mostly I EQ and gently Compress to even out the performances - mine or those on the pre-recorded wav files.   I export the entire mix as a wav and import that to a new Sonar project where I'll either use Ozone 5 or a couple of mastering type plugins like the Sonitus MB and Waves L3 to get the final sound and loudness.

I aim for -6db to -3db on the final mix I export.  That way I figure the maximizer doesn't have to work too hard when it's applied in that mastering project.  I use instrument and vocal buses to group and sum and apply subtle glue compression to the Music bus, then usually add final glue/compression to the Mix bus where Drums, Music and Vocals buses are routed.  I like the T-Rack S Bus Compressor and the Waves V-Comp.

I do have Cakewalk's Concrete Limiter, but I have never used it.  In this thread I noted that Batsbrew uses it on tracks for added color.  I'd like to experiment with that on my current projects and I want to try MB Compression on vocals in the mix vs. static EQ.  I'm also planning to use parallel compression on vocals that need some bite or grit.

https://www.reverbnation.com/scottholson

Platinum, Studio One 3 Pro, Win 10 (x64), AMD FX-8350, ASUS M5A97 R2.0, 16GB, RME UCX, Digimax DP88, Faderport 8, Revive Audio Mod Studio Channel, Vintage Audio M72, Summit Audio TLA-50, KRK Rokit 5 G2 Monitors, Guitars

"If you wait till the last minute, it only takes a minute."
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1