Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Grizzlylip
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 100
2015/11/21 17:02:03 (permalink)

Computer and windows upgrade frustration <SOLVED>

Good afternoon all,

This is my first ever post requesting technical advice.  I am generally of the opinion that any question I have has probably already been asked and answered somewhere (and in this case that's not necessarily untrue, so my point may be valid still).  Anyhow, after hours of trying to interpret advice given to others to make it relevant to my situation I am humbly turning to better men and woman than I for some direct advice.  I purchased a new computer, axiom 61, maschine studio, and NI komplete 10 roughly 3 months ago. I had made due with a very cheap computer over the last 10 years and felt I deserved something better, faster, and maybe even smoother.  I installed all of my software and connected all of my hardware without any hassle.  NI and Sonar have always been good to me in this regard.  All was hunky dory for a few days, and then the drop outs came.  Some pops and crackles as well, but I was able to tame these by following advice posted here and via the cakewalk site.  But the drop outs continued and my computer seems to, for a lack of better terminology; drag.  Specifiaclly, programs take an unusual amount of time to open, the audio engine stops working during playback, and sonar stops responding periodically.  Definitely frustrating considering I paid quadruple what I paid for my starter computer on what I thought would be an improvement (I previously owned an emachine, low end model).  Here is what I've done so far (remember, I am a veteran musician but a 5 year rookie as it relates to to audio engineering):

Ran DCP latency checker.  Results:  Something along the lines of drivers behaving bad and a suggestion to try disabling one adaptor at a time.  I tried this without progress.

Ran LatencyMon.  Results: "Your system appears to be having trouble handling real-time audio and other tasks. You are likely to experience buffer underruns appearing as drop outs, clicks or pops. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates. LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for  0:43:33  (h:mm:ss) on all processors."

I disabled realtek audio and all Bluetooth adaptors.  Couldn't find a "CPU throttling" or "BIOS setup" (did I mention I am terrible with computers in general?).  Sorry for the winded explanation, I am trying to cover as many bases as possible to avoid wasting anyones time.  What I am hoping for is an experienced glance at the full results provided by Latency Mon (posted separately to avoided the longest post ever).  If anything stands out as "ah, that's what an idiot... he forgot to disable the thingy" would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone!

Jake

post edited by Grizzlylip - 2016/01/06 21:15:34

Audio Interface:   M-Audio Fast Track Ultra
Computer:   Dell XPS 8700 Windows 10
Processor:   Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GHz 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Installed RAM:   8 GB
Soundcard:   ASIO
Monitors:   3 M-Audio + Mackie MR8mk3
DAW:   SONAR Platinum
Hardware/Controller:   Axiom 61 (2nd Gen) + Maschine Studio 2.0
Added Software:   Komplete 10
Grizzlylip
Re: Computer and windows upgrade frustration 2015/11/21 17:02:43 (permalink)
CONCLUSION
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Your system appears to be having trouble handling real-time audio and other tasks. You are likely to experience buffer underruns appearing as drop outs, clicks or pops. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates.
LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for  0:43:33  (h:mm:ss) on all processors.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
SYSTEM INFORMATION
Computer name:                                        DESKTOP-AF30Q7L
OS version:                                           Windows 8 , 6.2, build: 9200 (x64)
Hardware:                                             XPS 8700, Dell Inc., 0KWVT8
CPU:                                                  GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz
Logical processors:                                   8
Processor groups:                                     1
RAM:                                                  8143 MB total

CPU SPEED
Reported CPU speed:                                   3592 MHz
Measured CPU speed:                                   1 MHz (approx.)
Note: reported execution times may be calculated based on a fixed reported CPU speed. Disable variable speed settings like Intel Speed Step and AMD Cool N Quiet in the BIOS setup for more accurate results.
WARNING: the CPU speed that was measured is only a fraction of the CPU speed reported. Your CPUs may be throttled back due to variable speed settings and thermal issues. It is suggested that you run a utility which reports your actual CPU frequency and temperature.

MEASURED INTERRUPT TO USER PROCESS LATENCIES
The interrupt to process latency reflects the measured interval that a usermode process needed to respond to a hardware request from the moment the interrupt service routine started execution. This includes the scheduling and execution of a DPC routine, the signaling of an event and the waking up of a usermode thread from an idle wait state in response to that event.
Highest measured interrupt to process latency (µs):   2212.118154
Average measured interrupt to process latency (µs):   11.948560
Highest measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs):       1478.831920
Average measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs):       2.402662

REPORTED ISRs
Interrupt service routines are routines installed by the OS and device drivers that execute in response to a hardware interrupt signal.
Highest ISR routine execution time (µs):              252.706570
Driver with highest ISR routine execution time:       dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation
Highest reported total ISR routine time (%):          0.039039
Driver with highest ISR total time:                   dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation
Total time spent in ISRs (%)                          0.048384
ISR count (execution time <250 µs):                   762355
ISR count (execution time 250-500 µs):                0
ISR count (execution time 500-999 µs):                2
ISR count (execution time 1000-1999 µs):              0
ISR count (execution time 2000-3999 µs):              0
ISR count (execution time >=4000 µs):                 0

REPORTED DPCs
DPC routines are part of the interrupt servicing dispatch mechanism and disable the possibility for a process to utilize the CPU while it is interrupted until the DPC has finished execution.
Highest DPC routine execution time (µs):              927.445991
Driver with highest DPC routine execution time:       ndis.sys - Network Driver Interface Specification (NDIS), Microsoft Corporation
Highest reported total DPC routine time (%):          0.027056
Driver with highest DPC total execution time:         Wdf01000.sys - Kernel Mode Driver Framework Runtime, Microsoft Corporation
Total time spent in DPCs (%)                          0.107318
DPC count (execution time <250 µs):                   2980097
DPC count (execution time 250-500 µs):                0
DPC count (execution time 500-999 µs):                275
DPC count (execution time 1000-1999 µs):              0
DPC count (execution time 2000-3999 µs):              0
DPC count (execution time >=4000 µs):                 0

REPORTED HARD PAGEFAULTS
Hard pagefaults are events that get triggered by making use of virtual memory that is not resident in RAM but backed by a memory mapped file on disk. The process of resolving the hard pagefault requires reading in the memory from disk while the process is interrupted and blocked from execution.
NOTE: some processes were hit by hard pagefaults. If these were programs producing audio, they are likely to interrupt the audio stream resulting in dropouts, clicks and pops. Check the Processes tab to see which programs were hit.
Process with highest pagefault count:                 svchost.exe
Total number of hard pagefaults                       3366
Hard pagefault count of hardest hit process:          890
Highest hard pagefault resolution time (µs):          3725144.217428
Total time spent in hard pagefaults (%):              0.644933
Number of processes hit:                              26

PER CPU DATA
CPU 0 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       47.005211
CPU 0 ISR highest execution time (µs):                252.706570
CPU 0 ISR total execution time (s):                   9.82080
CPU 0 ISR count:                                      625472
CPU 0 DPC highest execution time (µs):                624.718263
CPU 0 DPC total execution time (s):                   18.291808
CPU 0 DPC count:                                      2546171
CPU 1 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       15.034828
CPU 1 ISR highest execution time (µs):                236.285078
CPU 1 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.117418
CPU 1 ISR count:                                      50775
CPU 1 DPC highest execution time (µs):                605.194878
CPU 1 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.669128
CPU 1 DPC count:                                      67390
CPU 2 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       10.303827
CPU 2 ISR highest execution time (µs):                80.011971
CPU 2 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.024770
CPU 2 ISR count:                                      11593
CPU 2 DPC highest execution time (µs):                621.881960
CPU 2 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.692990
CPU 2 DPC count:                                      63893
CPU 3 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       14.679202
CPU 3 ISR highest execution time (µs):                107.893931
CPU 3 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.050555
CPU 3 ISR count:                                      20285
CPU 3 DPC highest execution time (µs):                318.532851
CPU 3 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.398282
CPU 3 DPC count:                                      49531
CPU 4 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       10.575754
CPU 4 ISR highest execution time (µs):                44.929844
CPU 4 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.030433
CPU 4 ISR count:                                      16508
CPU 4 DPC highest execution time (µs):                805.976893
CPU 4 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.643132
CPU 4 DPC count:                                      72084
CPU 5 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       15.874311
CPU 5 ISR highest execution time (µs):                46.503341
CPU 5 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.028402
CPU 5 ISR count:                                      13592
CPU 5 DPC highest execution time (µs):                511.068207
CPU 5 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.490312
CPU 5 DPC count:                                      57806
CPU 6 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       10.512832
CPU 6 ISR highest execution time (µs):                88.762249
CPU 6 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.023521
CPU 6 ISR count:                                      14266
CPU 6 DPC highest execution time (µs):                927.445991
CPU 6 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.732164
CPU 6 DPC count:                                      72388
CPU 7 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       15.072497
CPU 7 ISR highest execution time (µs):                46.904232
CPU 7 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.020409
CPU 7 ISR count:                                      9866
CPU 7 DPC highest execution time (µs):                138.945991
CPU 7 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.520811
CPU 7 DPC count:                                      51109
CONCLUSION
Your system appears to be having trouble handling real-time audio and other tasks. You are likely to experience buffer underruns appearing as drop outs, clicks or pops. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates.
LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for  0:47:33  (h:mm:ss) on all processors.

SYSTEM INFORMATION
Computer name:                                        DESKTOP-AF30Q7L
OS version:                                           Windows 8 , 6.2, build: 9200 (x64)
Hardware:                                             XPS 8700, Dell Inc., 0KWVT8
CPU:                                                  GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz
Logical processors:                                   8
Processor groups:                                     1
RAM:                                                  8143 MB total

CPU SPEED
Reported CPU speed:                                   3592 MHz
Measured CPU speed:                                   1 MHz (approx.)
Note: reported execution times may be calculated based on a fixed reported CPU speed. Disable variable speed settings like Intel Speed Step and AMD Cool N Quiet in the BIOS setup for more accurate results.
WARNING: the CPU speed that was measured is only a fraction of the CPU speed reported. Your CPUs may be throttled back due to variable speed settings and thermal issues. It is suggested that you run a utility which reports your actual CPU frequency and temperature.

MEASURED INTERRUPT TO USER PROCESS LATENCIES
The interrupt to process latency reflects the measured interval that a usermode process needed to respond to a hardware request from the moment the interrupt service routine started execution. This includes the scheduling and execution of a DPC routine, the signaling of an event and the waking up of a usermode thread from an idle wait state in response to that event.
Highest measured interrupt to process latency (µs):   2212.118154
Average measured interrupt to process latency (µs):   11.185173
Highest measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs):       1478.831920
Average measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs):       2.250875

REPORTED ISRs
Interrupt service routines are routines installed by the OS and device drivers that execute in response to a hardware interrupt signal.
Highest ISR routine execution time (µs):              252.706570
Driver with highest ISR routine execution time:       dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation
Highest reported total ISR routine time (%):          0.038103
Driver with highest ISR total time:                   dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation
Total time spent in ISRs (%)                          0.047127
ISR count (execution time <250 µs):                   862704
ISR count (execution time 250-500 µs):                0
ISR count (execution time 500-999 µs):                2
ISR count (execution time 1000-1999 µs):              0
ISR count (execution time 2000-3999 µs):              0
ISR count (execution time >=4000 µs):                 0

REPORTED DPCs
DPC routines are part of the interrupt servicing dispatch mechanism and disable the possibility for a process to utilize the CPU while it is interrupted until the DPC has finished execution.
Highest DPC routine execution time (µs):              927.445991
Driver with highest DPC routine execution time:       ndis.sys - Network Driver Interface Specification (NDIS), Microsoft Corporation
Highest reported total DPC routine time (%):          0.025545
Driver with highest DPC total execution time:         Wdf01000.sys - Kernel Mode Driver Framework Runtime, Microsoft Corporation
Total time spent in DPCs (%)                          0.102403
DPC count (execution time <250 µs):                   3248783
DPC count (execution time 250-500 µs):                0
DPC count (execution time 500-999 µs):                279
DPC count (execution time 1000-1999 µs):              0
DPC count (execution time 2000-3999 µs):              0
DPC count (execution time >=4000 µs):                 0

REPORTED HARD PAGEFAULTS
Hard pagefaults are events that get triggered by making use of virtual memory that is not resident in RAM but backed by a memory mapped file on disk. The process of resolving the hard pagefault requires reading in the memory from disk while the process is interrupted and blocked from execution.
NOTE: some processes were hit by hard pagefaults. If these were programs producing audio, they are likely to interrupt the audio stream resulting in dropouts, clicks and pops. Check the Processes tab to see which programs were hit.
Process with highest pagefault count:                 svchost.exe
Total number of hard pagefaults                       3407
Hard pagefault count of hardest hit process:          890
Highest hard pagefault resolution time (µs):          3725144.217428
Total time spent in hard pagefaults (%):              0.592873
Number of processes hit:                              29

PER CPU DATA
CPU 0 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       51.011624
CPU 0 ISR highest execution time (µs):                252.706570
CPU 0 ISR total execution time (s):                   10.454135
CPU 0 ISR count:                                      706934
CPU 0 DPC highest execution time (µs):                624.718263
CPU 0 DPC total execution time (s):                   19.102845
CPU 0 DPC count:                                      2789471
CPU 1 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       17.465658
CPU 1 ISR highest execution time (µs):                236.285078
CPU 1 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.122351
CPU 1 ISR count:                                      59705
CPU 1 DPC highest execution time (µs):                605.194878
CPU 1 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.679929
CPU 1 DPC count:                                      69767
CPU 2 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       11.327276
CPU 2 ISR highest execution time (µs):                80.011971
CPU 2 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.025539
CPU 2 ISR count:                                      13680
CPU 2 DPC highest execution time (µs):                621.881960
CPU 2 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.711580
CPU 2 DPC count:                                      67568
CPU 3 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       16.120169
CPU 3 ISR highest execution time (µs):                107.893931
CPU 3 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.051501
CPU 3 ISR count:                                      22155
CPU 3 DPC highest execution time (µs):                318.532851
CPU 3 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.410121
CPU 3 DPC count:                                      52064
CPU 4 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       11.716844
CPU 4 ISR highest execution time (µs):                44.929844
CPU 4 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.030935
CPU 4 ISR count:                                      18127
CPU 4 DPC highest execution time (µs):                805.976893
CPU 4 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.680448
CPU 4 DPC count:                                      78909
CPU 5 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       17.431684
CPU 5 ISR highest execution time (µs):                46.503341
CPU 5 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.029075
CPU 5 ISR count:                                      15487
CPU 5 DPC highest execution time (µs):                511.068207
CPU 5 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.505609
CPU 5 DPC count:                                      60966
CPU 6 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       11.479229
CPU 6 ISR highest execution time (µs):                88.762249
CPU 6 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.023861
CPU 6 ISR count:                                      15438
CPU 6 DPC highest execution time (µs):                927.445991
CPU 6 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.751779
CPU 6 DPC count:                                      76359
CPU 7 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       16.460799
CPU 7 ISR highest execution time (µs):                46.904232
CPU 7 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.020959
CPU 7 ISR count:                                      11180
CPU 7 DPC highest execution time (µs):                138.945991
CPU 7 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.534752
CPU 7 DPC count:                                      53958

Processor:   Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GHz 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Grizzlylip
Re: Computer and windows upgrade frustration 2015/11/21 17:10:39 (permalink)
I tried to submit a screenshot of the drivers tab found in the latencyMon as requested in previous threads, but I cannot get it to paste for some reason.  Another subject I am off to research.  Sorry for the delay.

scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Computer and windows upgrade frustration 2015/11/21 19:30:27 (permalink)
A thread about adding images to forum posts with examples http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3292954
slartabartfast
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5289
Re: Computer and windows upgrade frustration 2015/11/21 21:58:51 (permalink)
If you have not already done so, disable the wireless network adapter. Ask Dell support to tell you how to do that in the BIOS if doing so via Windows Device Manager does not work. Dell documentation tends to be of the just trust us we know what you need so do not screw with the way we set it up variety. I am not clear why LatencyMon thinks you are running Windows 8 but you think you are running Windows 10. Does anyone know if this is normal for LatencyMon on a Win10 system?
post edited by slartabartfast - 2015/11/21 22:11:45
robert_e_bone
  • Total Posts : 8968
Re: Computer and windows upgrade frustration 2015/11/22 01:42:00 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby bugsunplugged 2015/12/13 11:06:58
Many folks have HUGE DPC latency spikes coming from their WiFi adapters/drivers, and for them, the easy fix is to go into Windows Device Manager just before launching Sonar, and disabling the WiFi (NOT uninstall, just disable).  Then launch your Sonar session, and when done and Sonar is closed, go back and Enable the WiFi again, and all should be fine.

Now, the above is predicated on their BEING a WiFi adapter on your computer.  It may not have one, in which case the above does not apply.

It looks like your computer model is a desktop, so unless you added a WiFi adapter, it likely didn't come with on.

That aside, I would suggest you change your Windows Power Management Options, so that you are always set to run on the High Performance power settings, AND you further go into the Advanced Settings for the High Performance Power Plan and: 1) find the option and expand it for USB Selective Suspend, and make sure that you do NOT allow Windows to selectively suspend USB devices.  2) Also in those options, find the one that sets the Minimum CPU Processor State and set it to 100%, so that it always runs at full capacity.  3) set the options so that your hard drive NEVER turns off (set it to 000 minutes and it will see that as Never), and do NOT let Windows ever put your computer into Sleep Mode or Hibernate.  Save those changes to that power plan.

I would also suggest you go into Windows Device Manager, and pull up the properties for your Network Interface Card (your ethernet adapter), and also there make sure under the Power Management tab remove the check for the option that lets Windows turn that device off to save power.

Are any of your hard drives capable of going 'Green', meaning do they have variable speeds?  If so, those can goof things up for Sonar.

Please review and try out the above, and post back with the results, and I will dig into things deeper in the morning, after getting some sleep.  Others may have different and/or better ideas in the meantime.

We should be able to get you squared away.

One last thing - is your current Sonar Driver Mode set to ASIO for your audio interface?  If not, it should be, and are the drivers for that the most current ones available for that audio interface?

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
robert_e_bone
Re: Computer and windows upgrade frustration 2015/11/22 01:44:23 (permalink)
What kind of hard drives and how many of them are using, and how do you have things split among the drives? (OS and applications on one drive, Sonar projects on another, sample libraries on a 3rd drive, whatever)

Bob Bone

Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
arachnaut
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1168
Re: Computer and windows upgrade frustration 2015/11/22 01:52:00 (permalink)
It is normal for Latency Mon to report Windows 10 as Windows 8.
A Core i7 at your speed and with 8GB of memory should scream.
The NDIS data looks excessive indicating a network issue.
Try disabling all the network interfaces at least temporarily.

- Jim Hurley -
SONAR Platinum - x64  - Windows 10 Pro 
ASUS P8P67 PRO Rev 3.0;  Core i7-2600K@4.4GHz; 16 GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X;
GeForce GT 740; Saffire Pro14 MixControl 3.7; Axiom 61
64-Bit audio, SR: 48kHz, ASIO 256 samples latency, Rec/Play I/O Buffers 512k, Total Round Trip Latency 13 ms, Pow-r 3 dither 
Grizzlylip
Re: Computer and windows upgrade frustration 2015/11/22 14:22:18 (permalink)
I created a checklist of things to try based on your comments above.  I am sitting down now to take a crack at it.  Thanks everyone!  I should have an update within the next few hours.

By the way, thanks for the link Scook!  I tried Imgur and Postimage but was not able to upload, and therefore post; the screenshot.  Granted, I was already super irritated by the drops outs at the time so I didnt really exercise my full range of patience during the attempt.  I will revisit later.  So far, none of the replies have requested the latencyMon drivers tab screenshot, so maybe I'm getting ahead of myself anyhow.

Grizzlylip
Re: Computer and windows upgrade frustration 2015/11/22 15:20:01 (permalink)
I forgot to mention, I added your questions to the checklist and plan to clarify and respond for each.  I can answer that I use ASIO and that I do not intentionally split between hard drives.  I should further note that this computer is for recording and mixing only.  No kids, no games, nothing but SONAR and NI. 

Oh, and I think I figured out the screenshot (thanks Scook!).  Here goes nothing...

Grizzlylip
Re: Computer and windows upgrade frustration 2015/11/22 16:07:53 (permalink)
"disable the wireless network adapter. Ask Dell support to tell you how to do that in the BIOS if doing so via Windows Device Manager does not work." Done. Disabled the Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter in device manager.

Mission complete.  Results pending...

"go into Windows Device Manager just before launching Sonar, and disabling the WiFi (NOT uninstall, just disable). Then launch your Sonar session, and when done and Sonar is closed, go back and Enable the WiFi again, and all should be fine." That is the same thing as the Broadcom 802.11n, correct?

"change your Windows Power Management Options, so that you are always set to run on the High Performance power" Done. Switched from "Balanced" to "High Performance."

"go into the Advanced Settings for the High Performance Power Plan and: 1) find the option and expand it for USB Selective Suspend, and make sure that you do NOT allow Windows to selectively suspend USB devices." Done.

"2) Also in those options, find the one that sets the Minimum CPU Processor State and set it to 100%, so that it always runs at full capacity" Verified that it was already set to 100 percent.

"3) set the options so that your hard drive NEVER turns off (set it to 000 minutes and it will see that as Never), and do NOT let Windows ever put your computer into Sleep Mode or Hibernate. Save those changes to that power plan." "Sleep After" was already set to "never." "Allow Hybrid Sleep" was on so I turned it off.

"Windows Device Manager, and pull up the properties for your Network Interface Card (your ethernet adapter), and also there make sure under the Power Management tab remove the check for the option that lets Windows turn that device off to save power." Done.

"Are any of your hard drives capable of going 'Green', meaning do they have variable speeds? If so, those can goof things up for Sonar." I viewed the properties for the disk drive "ST1000DM003-1ER162" and did not notice anything related to green or variable speed.

"Disable all network interfaces" That is the same thing as the Broadcom 802.11n, correct? This is the noly network adapter listed besides my ethernet ("Realtek PCIe GBE family controller").

On a side note, someone once suggested turning off all wireless bluetooth adapters (which I already did out of habit). Not sure if this is necessary or not.

Now, I am going to restart the computer and have a go at Sonar.

Grizzlylip
Re: Computer and windows upgrade frustration 2015/11/28 01:51:18 (permalink)
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!  And for those of you who do not celebrate Thanksgiving, happy day off of work?

One week since I applied all of the recommended adjustments above and a few results are apparent.  First, Sonar is running "smoother."  That's the good news!  Second, the latencyMon report has not changed from "Your system appears to be having trouble handling real-time audio and other tasks...."  Third, I have note experienced as many drop out's as usual but I have had two (and I paraphrase) "Sonar is not responding..." incidents whereas sonar is forced to close.  The most recent incident was after I had opened a new project, inserted Kontakt and Reaktor tracks, and during trying to record a piano track out of Kontakt.  Any suggestions would be much appreciated as to what I could try next. 

Thanks,
Jake

mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: Computer and windows upgrade frustration 2015/11/28 08:33:09 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby bugsunplugged 2015/12/13 11:13:13
Four things come to mind, some of which have already been mentioned above. This post I made has links to others when I rebuilt this machine in July. Mine is Win7, but most will apply. I mention this a couple times below, but if unsure of processes/services, be sure to ask first.

Things that came to mind are:
  1. What buffer settings/driver mode are you using? Buffers tend to have a sweet spot dependent on the machine, so not sure if you did a test to set these up. Steaming audio (Komplete 10) can also play highly into buffer settings.
  2. Are you running an anti-virus program? If so, which one, as some are aggressive and over-analyze things.
  3. Have you taken a look at the "Services" and "Startup" tabs when you run "msconfig.exe" from the Windows Start menu? On the "Services" tab, if you check "Hide all Microsoft services" at the bottom, it will give you a better list. Typically only hardware drivers and anti-virus services should be on either of those lists. If unsure, feel free to ask what something does before disabling it.
  4. Lastly, if you type "services.exe" in the Windows Start menu, it pops up a massive listing, and a big offender is a Microsoft Service - "Windows Search" is the process that indexes your computer and often "goes to town" with high priority. This listing is very difficult to type details about, but in general (for the "Start Type" column) you can run anything "manually" (preferred for a lot of things), and "Automatic" means it loads at boot. Stuff like auto updaters, etc., do not need to always be running, and they will ping home or "do their thing" without warning. If you click the "Start Type" column, it will help you check the "Automatic" services your machine is loading on boot. Big flags to research or ask about would be any "Updater" or "Update Service." The "Windows Search" entry specifically I "disabled" (can right click an entry to change its Start Type).
If unfamiliar with things, it is best to ask first, but wanted to throw this out to you. Buffer alone under the right conditions/VSTis-used can bring a hefty machine to its knees.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
Grizzlylip
Re: Computer and windows upgrade frustration 2015/11/28 15:03:37 (permalink)
Thanks Mettelus!  Your post is actually where I learned about latencyMon in the first place.  Dare I admit that although I read your entire thread I comprehended a generous 10 percent of the info provided.  I think your advanced knowledge of computers allowed others to respond with less laymen terms than would ever breach my thick skull.  I can barely get the computer out of the box it came in much less build one from scratch. 

I am going to set up and walk through your recommendations this afternoon.  I will try to answer the questions the best I can.  I will post results as soon as able.  Thanks again!!!

kitekrazy1
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3524
Re: Computer and windows upgrade frustration 2015/11/28 15:16:02 (permalink)
I decided not to run the latency checks because after 10 minutes they always give you some error report. Just run your DAW with some projects and if they lock up then do some research.

We've gotten in this bad habit of doing tweaks before we run anything and sometimes it's regression. Most systems are powerful enough we no longer have to do a lot of optimization. 

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro 32GB Ram, Intel i7 4790, AsRock Z97 Pro 4,  NVidia 750ti, AP2496

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro, 16GB Ram, AMD FX 6300, Gigabyte GA 970 -UD3 P, nVidia 9800GT, Guitar Port, Terratec EWX 2496
mettelus
Re: Computer and windows upgrade frustration 2015/11/28 22:25:18 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby bugsunplugged 2015/12/13 11:16:28
I am on Win7 here, so not sure of things which may be Win10 specific. It would be easiest to eat this elephant in small bites for you. #3 from the post above may provide the best initial insight. If you could post a screen capture (Alt+Print Screen captures just the active window) of the following 2 pages, it would help others see what is loading at boot on your machine.

Go to Windows Start button and type in "msconfig.exe" (it lives at C:\Windows\System32\msconfig.exe in case you want to launch it with Windows Explorer). It will pop up a window named "System Configuration."

1. Click the "Services" tab at the top, the "Hide all Microsoft services" checkbox at the bottom, and then the "Status" column (which will move all running services to the top). Alt-Print Screen that and paste/save the image. Mine looks like this:

2. Next click the "StartUp" tab. This one should already have only checked applications at the top. Alt-Print Screen that and paste/save the image. Mine looks like this:

In Step #4 of my post above, the only item I would be concerned with right now is the Windows Search process (does file indexing on your hard drive). This one is cannot be disabled in msconfig.exe, so must be done on the services.exe pop up. To disable this:

1. Go to Windows Start button and type in "services". It will pop up a window named "Services" (go figure)

2. It should already be ordered by the "Name" column, so resize the window to you liking, and scroll down to the very bottom to find the "Windows Serach" entry. Looks like this:

3. Right click that entry and choose "Properties" and you will see the popup window below. The dropdown highlighted will allow you to disable this service.

If ever one day you want to turn this back on, you can just change that entry back; but that indexer is self-starting and is often set to also index the "contents" of files. This creates some MASSIVE index files doing so (my old one was 300GB when I rebuilt this machine, and the only way to get rid of it after reinstalling Windows was to move everything I wanted to keep and format the drive the index file was on). Also, if you use an SSD, never allow that index file to be written to the SSD... always to a mechanical hard drive.

You typically need to reboot after changes to msconfig.exe. or services. For now, I would just capture the msconfig windows above and disable Windows Search.
post edited by mettelus - 2015/11/29 00:46:03

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
Grizzlylip
Re: Computer and windows upgrade frustration 2015/12/12 21:59:26 (permalink)
Sorry for the delay, I had a bit of a health scare.  No worries, I am doing well and I am eager to get back at it!

I disabled the service search as recommended.  Screenshots requested below.  Oh, and I almost forgot.  Apparently I use a "McAfee Livesafe" anti virus program.  I believe you asked me to look into this previously, Mettelus.

As always, thanks for your help! 

Grizzlylip
Re: Computer and windows upgrade frustration 2015/12/12 22:02:54 (permalink)
Sorry, posted the same pic twice!

mettelus
Re: Computer and windows upgrade frustration 2015/12/13 06:05:15 (permalink)
I hope everything is well!

I have not used McAfee in years, and it used to be nearly impossible to uninstall, but should have the ability to assign programs/directories as "safe." I am not sure with this one, and some also have a "silent/gaming mode" to them. McAfee is one of those with a bad reputation for lugging down systems, but I will need to dig deeper into this one.

The first pic, the "Logitech Download Assistant" seems like a "phone home" utility and could be disabled. Manually running updates is not an issue and you can simply do them when you think of them. I am a bit confused with the "Dell Display Manager" since you have NVIDIA listed, and I would assume NVIDIA alone would be sufficient. I would try disabling the Dell Display Manager initially and see if it affects anything, and re-enable it if it is linked to NVIDIA (otherwise leave it disabled). The rest of that first picture looks fine.

For the second, all of the "DELL overhead" is sticking out like a sore thumb. For that screen the two "Bluetooth" entries (for DAW use it is best to leave those off, but you can always start them manually... you just do not want them starting on boot), "Bonjour" and all of the "Dell" ones can be disabled. It looks like "Bonjour" is a network discovery service, which was a primary latency offender for me. If you are adding things to your network, you can do it manually and save the overhead this adds. Leave the Axiom, Fast Track, and McAfee running on that second screen.

When you get a chance, can you do that second screenshot again, but scroll down to the enabled items after "McAfee"? It seems that list is only half shown.

Once we get these items in order, we still need to look at your buffers.

Grizzlylip
Re: Computer and windows upgrade frustration 2015/12/13 15:47:54 (permalink)
Ok, I know it can be annoying to have someone thank you over and over again, so I will try and make this the last "THANK YOU!" 

The "Dell Display Manager" came with the touch screen monitor.  I'm not sure if that tells you anything, but I can say that I never use the touch screen.  To be honest, I wasn't even aware of the fact that I was getting the touch screen feature.  It serves me no purpose personally.  Does that change your recommendation?  Ive made all of the changes recommended in your previous post with exception to this.

Just to make sure I am not withholding any info, I scrolled down to the bottom of "Services" and took screen shots along the way.  Here's what I came up with...

Grizzlylip
Re: Computer and windows upgrade frustration 2015/12/13 16:04:05 (permalink)
Regarding buffers, I thought I'd get a head start by posting a few screen shots from my preferences menu.  Thanks!

mettelus
Re: Computer and windows upgrade frustration 2015/12/14 02:33:33 (permalink)
If not using touch, you could try, but I doubt that is a significant issue. Services which use connections or analysis are often the ones to watch. The only two which stand out are DropBox, which is listed as stopped, and McAfee. I forget now how often Dropbox syncs itself, but that is one I have only run manually. The DropBox entries could be unchecked. Some services re-enable themselves when you manually start them, so may need to be disabled again (which may be why you have 2, not sure).

Are you constantly connected to the internet? The McAfee bothers me a lot, and I have not had time to check that and is late already, but what came to mind would be to disconnect the internet, disable all those McAfee entries, and reboot. Virus scanners can be over-aggressive and analyze everything happening on a computer, so would be good to try running the computer as a DAW without that overhead and see what difference it makes. If it is night/day, changing the settings in McAfee would be a first step.

I didn't sign in until late, but need to revisit this. If you get an opportunity to run SONAR with McAfee turned off that would be a good data point. You may even be able to click the icon in your taskbar and temporarily disable it or use a "silent/gaming mode." I will need to follow up with this tomorrow since I am running out of steam at the moment.

mettelus
Re: Computer and windows upgrade frustration 2015/12/14 14:18:59 (permalink)
Quick update to the above, is the McAfee version installed called "McAfee Security Center"? I just did a quick search for disabling McAfee temporarily, and caught this post on cnet. I am not sure how effective that is. Seems a bit of a PITA, but the advice there was:

"Double-click the taskbar icon to open the Security Center
Click Advanced Menu (lower left)
Click Configure (left)
Click Computer & Files (upper left)
VirusScan can be disabled on the right.

Do the same via Internet & Network for Firewall Plus."

In your situation, when using the computer as a DAW, simply unplugging the Ethernet cable will prevent most "phone home" routines. The McAfee part could either be disabled per above (if works), or from the msconfig dialog (which may also not work). If you get a moment to try running SONAR without being connected to the internet and McAfee offline, it would help to see how much McAfee is affecting you (there are actually free AV programs which do fine for most usage out there). Note: you may also need to disable the new Start Up screen within SONAR preferences, as I recall an issue with that enabled and no active internet connection available for certain versions (but forget which ones).

For AV programs, I have run Avast in the past, which can be temporarily disabled in the task bar, and also has a "silent/gaming mode" to it. One thing to also note is that multiple AV programs will also analyze each other, so you want only one enabled that suits your needs (and remove/disable all others completely). That is more FYI after the McAfee overhead is understood.

Win10 also throws a kink in the works for me, as I am not sure of specifics for that version yet.

Grizzlylip
Re: Computer and windows upgrade frustration 2015/12/14 18:24:51 (permalink)
Pesky sleep, who has time for it! (:

Eventually, I plan to disconnect the internet all together.  The only reason it is plugged in now is to avoid running Sonar in demo mode.  I upgraded to Sonar Platinum by signing up for the monthly payment plan and it is my understanding that I must stay online until I am paid off.  I could be wrong of course.  I will look into obtaining offline permissions now. 

mettelus
Re: Computer and windows upgrade frustration 2015/12/14 18:29:48 (permalink)
I thought you only needed to connect once a month to validate?

Grizzlylip
Re: Computer and windows upgrade frustration 2015/12/14 18:40:15 (permalink)
I must not have refreshed the page before typing my last post because I am just seeing your recent post now.  So, if my post doesn't make sense that would likely explain it.  I double checked and it appears that I have McAfee Livesafe.  I couldn't find any mention of Security Center on my CPU. 

I will try running sonar without the internet plugged in.  Even in demo mode I should be able to start a fight with processing!  If McAfee  is the issue, I would prefer to remove McAfee all together in place of another recommended AV program such as Avast.   

Grizzlylip
Re: Computer and windows upgrade frustration 2015/12/20 00:48:04 (permalink)
I can honestly say that after about a week my computer seems to be handling SONAR far better than it was when I first posted this plea for help.  I tried without internet for about two days before I couldn't take using the demo any longer.  Which reminds me, cakewalk support has never taken this long to get back to me.  I emailed them requesting input on offline authorization.  Oh well, I'm sure Christmas is busy for them.

But I'm getting off track... 1 audio engine failure when offline compared to 3 (on average) a day online with my AV.  That's improvement!

I just had a crash a few minutes ago.  It occurred when I hit "Control-z" and then "R" too quickly.  Between this and when I am using the step sequencer, I think they are the most common "last thing I was doing" scenario pre crash.  Not sure if that means anything.

Take care!

Grizzlylip
Re: Computer and windows upgrade frustration 2015/12/30 16:45:24 (permalink)
I finally had a chance to use Sonar offline (user error).  I shut down the computer, unplugged my Ethernet, started the CPU and disable all McAfee software.  Restart again. I notice that some of the McAfee services had re enabled themselves.  Not all, just some (AP service, Firewall core service, etc).  I used SONAR offline for a few days and did notice the crashes are less frequent, however; they still exist.  Either the audio engine stops working or I get the sonar is not responding error followed by a full crash.  Same culprits.  It happens when I ctrl-z and hit space too quickly (which I've tried to slow down on), using the step sequencer (most audio engine stopped working), and for the crashes it follows either playback stop/start.

I am definitely in a better place than I was.  Thanks for all the help!  Still, I cant help but second guess my decision to pump a ton of money (a ton by my standards may be less to others) into a new computer and still have to deal with crashing.  I know its not a sonar issue, but it is related enough whereas Dell support give me the "it should work" line. Amy suggestions welcomed and appreciated as usual.  One thing to note is that I increased my buffer to 512 at Melodyne editors request.  I believe ASIO had me at 256 previously.  Maybe this will help....

Happy holidays everyone!

robert_e_bone
Re: Computer and windows upgrade frustration 2016/01/02 18:42:23 (permalink)
I had MacAfee or however you spell it, and had some issues years back with it, so I switched to Avast's free version, and have never looked back.

Avast has a nice small memory footprint and never causes me issues with Sonar, and I can temporarily suspend it if needed.  It also has a means of excluding specific folders from being actively scanned, and this helps too - to keep it from scanning the Sonar folders and my sample libraries.  

Perhaps your MacAfee AV software also allows exclusion of particular folders, and maybe that would help some too.

Bob Bone

Grizzlylip
Re: Computer and windows upgrade frustration 2016/01/02 21:49:27 (permalink)
Thanks Bob!  I will check on the exclusion feature in McAfee, however; you are another addition to a growing list of individuals with little good to say about McAfee's compatibility with Sonar.  Since I have no real commitment to McAfee (it came with the computer), I think I might just go for an uninstall.  You are also not the first to mention Avast, so I am tempted to follow in your footsteps in this regard as well.  All in all, as soon as my computer is running the way I think it should I will probably unplug the internet as I have in the past and just use my laptop for browsing.  Security is not my highest concern.  I bought this computer for Sonar specifically.

Take care and thanks again!

Jake 

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1