Helpful ReplyCountrybaggers

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
jackson white
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 283
Re: Countrybaggers 2017/11/10 17:38:34 (permalink)
A bit of refinement as generalities are often the bane of civilized discourse.

The Taylor Swift "crossover" appears to be preemptive or just very well managed as her first couple of releases were served up with modern pop country production and spangled dresses to go with her designer cowboy boots. Perhaps Nashville was planting the seeds for a new generation of "country" fans. 

Ryan Adams is pretty damn prolific so not likely writer's block. Critical acclaim has never sat well with him and given his rep as a cynical contrarian with a healthy dose of middle school snark, '1989'  could be a form of deflection/dismissal of the fawning hipster praise that follows him around. Then again, Taylor Swift's songs are well crafted despite what anyone might think of her image/subject matter with some interesting melody lines/chord progressions. Who knows, maybe he really does like her music. Crazy?

--------------------
Some pieces of wood with wires and bits of metal stuck in them, silicon and plastic
mumpcake
Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1609
Re: Countrybaggers 2017/11/10 20:17:09 (permalink)
jackson white
The Taylor Swift "crossover" appears to be preemptive or just very well managed as her first couple of releases were served up with modern pop country production and spangled dresses to go with her designer cowboy boots. Perhaps Nashville was planting the seeds for a new generation of "country" fans. 

That's exactly why I wondered if she might be considered a preemptive countrybagger.

Ryan Adams is pretty damn prolific so not likely writer's block.

By his standards, it could be a case of "I just got out of the shower without writing a song, I'm doomed!"  Not that he looks like he showers that often.

Critical acclaim has never sat well with him and given his rep as a cynical contrarian with a healthy dose of middle school snark, '1989'  could be a form of deflection/dismissal of the fawning hipster praise that follows him around. Then again, Taylor Swift's songs are well crafted despite what anyone might think of her image/subject matter with some interesting melody lines/chord progressions. Who knows, maybe he really does like her music. Crazy?

I do like his cover of "Bad Blood", and I can say that without any sense of irony.  After stripping away all of the TS drama, he reveals that there's actually a decent song underneath. 
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1