Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 339
2009/10/20 08:24:00 (permalink)

** Critical ** Windows 7 DAW Tweak .... Disable CPU Core Parking

As of  01 November 2009
NEW / BETTER METHOD IS HERE:-

Hi all 

Who is affected
The following is confirmed by me  [ in Win 7 X64 RC ]  and by a colleague of mine who is a MSDN subscriber who has access to the final / RTM Windows 7 X64.    It is NOT  a Sonar 8.5.1 issue - it is an O/S issue.   It is also NOT  present in Vista SP1  x64 or X32.   It  only  applies to Windows 7 X64 and X32 and  only  in systems using  more  than 2 physicial CPU's  and/or  more than 2  "logical" cores - ie:  Core i7 DAW's.

The Problem

Core Parking is VERY bad for DAW's - great for  non-DAW Laptops - but very bad for us in the DAW world.

See here for a bit of info / explanation / more info about CPU Core Parking - http://channel9.msdn.com/forums/Coffeehouse/453920-Windows-7-on-more-than-4-cores/ 
Without the following  " fix "  you will see massive CPU spiking in Sonar and Windows Task Manager - some CPU cores will be "turned off" / "parked" depending on load and they will be dynamically turned on or off and dynamically loaded up or down as the system deems necessary -  the scope for glitchs / pops / clicks / droputs  etc.... in such an environment is simply enormous. 
To the best of my knowledge, there is no known "switch" to turn it off - no utility I am aware of to "tweak" it off.

The Fix

- go to REGEDIT
- Search and Find this key  [  54533251-82be-4824-96c1-47b60b740d00  ]  without the   "  [  ]  "
- alternately, you can search and find the phrase  "  Core Parking "  -  again without the  "  "
- either of the above searchs works and delivers the exact same results
- delete the key(s)
- make sure you search the whole Registry - you should find it  [ from memory ]  6  times but will only be able to delete  [ from memory ]  the first  2 or 3 instances - dont worry about the ones you cant delete - just delete all the ones you can
- exit the Registy
- Shutdown Win7
- Do a full cold shutdown and re-boot

The Result

Perfect* load balancing across all you CPU cores - no spiking - both in Windows 7 Task Manager and Sonars CPU meters

Hope the above is of help.

Tom

* -  you will still see some  " unevenness "  depending on the EFX / VST / Synths  etc... you use because unlike Sonar - which is excellently "coded" to be multi-thread aware, compliant and cpu-load-balanced,  many, many other  EFX's / VST's / Synth's  etc...   [ most actually ]    are very lazily and poorly coded / written and  are no-where near  as  " even "  when it comes to multi-thread awareness,  compliance and cpu-load-balancing.
post edited by TomG - 2009/11/01 05:28:37

56 Replies Related Threads

Teksonik
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 521
    Re:** Critical ** Windows 7 DAW Tweak .... Disable CPU Core Parking 2009/10/20 08:34:39 (permalink)
    Incredible.  Two days before the official W7 release and problems already. 

I was under the impression that it's up to the host not the plugins to handle multithreading but I could be wrong as usual.
    TomG
    Re:** Critical ** Windows 7 DAW Tweak .... Disable CPU Core Parking 2009/10/20 08:41:28 (permalink)
    Hi Teksonik

At the risk of sounding contradictory, there is nothing at all wrong or problematic with Windows 7 and Core Parking - its a brilliant laptop-power saving feature and works very well for that purpose and indeed works  %100 exactly as designed and intended by MS.

Its just bad in a DAW environment when you are streaming audio / efx / syths / mid etc.... all at the lowest possible latency you can - for our purposes, we need  " all cores on deck all the time ".

The bit that surprised me was that  I thought / hoped  that the final / RTM version might have had a setting  [ in the Control Panel / Power Settings area ]  to turn this feature on or off - apparently, this is not the case - hence the need for the above Registry edit.

Tom
    post edited by TomG - 2009/10/20 08:45:11
    eratu
    Max Output Level: -46.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2856
    Re:** Critical ** Windows 7 DAW Tweak .... Disable CPU Core Parking 2009/10/20 08:55:41 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info -- will be paying attention to this issue when I install Win 7. :)
    Teksonik
    Re:** Critical ** Windows 7 DAW Tweak .... Disable CPU Core Parking 2009/10/20 09:03:21 (permalink)
    there is nothing at all wrong or problematic with Windows 7 and Core Parking

Not to be argumentative but if any user, musician or businessman has to do a Reg tweak to a brand new Windows version to get proper performance then yes in my opinion there is something problematic with Window 7.

But anyway I'm still happily using Win XP.  I'll let you guys work out these kind of bugs in Win 7 (I agree there should be a simple switch to turn off Core Parking ).
    post edited by Teksonik - 2009/10/20 09:05:04
    papa2005
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3250
    Re:** Critical ** Windows 7 DAW Tweak .... Disable CPU Core Parking 2009/10/20 09:34:13 (permalink)
    I agree with what Teksonic says.

I recently had to purchase a new computer. It's pre-loaded with Vista Home Premium 64-bit. I've had nothing but problems with it. I'm about to try wiping the HD and installing XP Home 32-bit. I may be screwing up by trying to do this (I'm no computer expert but I'm no computer dummy, either) but I still have a window (no pun intended) of opportunity to return the computer for a full refund.

Regards,
    Papa

CLICK HERE for a link to support for SONAR 8.5

CLICK HERE to view a list of video tutorials...

CLICK HERE for a link to Getting Started with Session Drummer 3...
    eratu
    Max Output Level: -46.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2856
    Re:** Critical ** Windows 7 DAW Tweak .... Disable CPU Core Parking 2009/10/20 09:35:10 (permalink)
    I wonder if Noel has chimed in on this issue and how Sonar 8.5 handles it. There are supposed to be optimizations specifically for Win 7 and the i7....
    emwhy
    Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1402
    Re:** Critical ** Windows 7 DAW Tweak .... Disable CPU Core Parking 2009/10/20 13:27:26 (permalink)
    Serious question. I've been running Win 7 64 RTM for about week, last weekend I did four heavy-duty mixes, about 60 tracks each, 30 plus plug-ins and about 5 or 6 soft-synths per project.

I did everything in 8.5.1 64 bit with about 10ms of latency for mixing. I never saw any irregularities on the CPU meter. It was hovering close to 48% on all cores, with core 1 slightly higher at times (which I'm told is normal), but no spikes. I'm using a Q6600 with the aud.ini tweak for quad cores. If anything my CPU overhead was almost identical to what I would see in XP 32.

My question is, CPU parking seems to shut cores down that aren't working that much to save power, but if you're running a project with a heavy load, would Windows even have a chance to do that?

Wickens
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 183
    Re:** Critical ** Windows 7 DAW Tweak .... Disable CPU Core Parking 2009/10/20 13:32:23 (permalink)
    Teksonik

Not to be argumentative but if any user, musician or businessman has to do a Reg tweak to a brand new Windows version to get proper performance then yes in my opinion there is something problematic with Window 7.

But anyway I'm still happily using Win XP.  I'll let you guys work out these kind of bugs in Win 7 (I agree there should be a simple switch to turn off Core Parking ).

So you dont turn off any features in XP, and you leave your network adapter on as well?

Anyway! - Thanks for the info on this tweak, I'm going to try it tonight even though I'm still having problems in XP and W7.

http://www.soundclick.com/chriswickens
    i7 920, 6gb DDR3 Triple Channel Ram, Gigabyte MOBO, Sonar X1, Guitar Rig 4 Pro, POD Farm, PODxt, MOTU 8Pre
    Jose7822
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10031
    Re:** Critical ** Windows 7 DAW Tweak .... Disable CPU Core Parking 2009/10/20 14:21:28 (permalink)
    Teksonik

Right!

So, based on your logic, then there's something wrong with Windows XP since it also has tweaks involving REG edits.  Not to mention the /3GB switch.

:-)

Intel Q9400 2.66 GHz
    8 GB of RAM @ 800 Mhz
    ATI Radeon HD 3650
    Windows 7 Professional (SP1) x64
    Cubase 6.03 x64
    Sonar PE 8.5.3 x64
    RME FireFace 400
    Frontier Design Alpha Track
    Studio Logic VMK-188 Plus

http://www.youtube.com/user/SonarHD
    Freddie H
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3617
    Re:** Critical ** Windows 7 DAW Tweak .... Disable CPU Core Parking 2009/10/20 14:40:02 (permalink)
    Thansk for that INFO TomG... =)

I took the liberty to add this great info inside here...
    http://forum.cakewalk.com/fb.ashx?m=1852730

Regards
    Freddie

-Highly developed spirits often encounter resistance from mediocre minds. -It really matters!
    Teksonik
    Re:** Critical ** Windows 7 DAW Tweak .... Disable CPU Core Parking 2009/10/20 15:41:19 (permalink)
    Wickens

Teksonik

So you dont turn off any features in XP, and you leave your network adapter on as well?

Anyway! - Thanks for the info on this tweak, I'm going to try it tonight even though I'm still having problems in XP and W7.

I've not needed to do any Reg tweaks for WinXP but I have shut down some eye candy.  I use this computer for both internet and music composition. Sometimes I have Firefox and Sonar running at the same time.  No problems here.
    post edited by Teksonik - 2009/10/20 15:45:47
    Teksonik
    Re:** Critical ** Windows 7 DAW Tweak .... Disable CPU Core Parking 2009/10/20 15:45:10 (permalink)
    Jose7822

Teksonik

Right!

So, based on your logic, then there's something wrong with Windows XP since it also has tweaks involving REG edits.  Not to mention the /3GB switch.

:-)

Of course there is something wrong with WinXP.............why would we need Win 7 or the disaster that is Vista if there wasn't ? I'm staying right where I am until you early adaptors get some of the obvious bugs worked out of Win 7.
    Jose7822
    Re:** Critical ** Windows 7 DAW Tweak .... Disable CPU Core Parking 2009/10/20 16:11:21 (permalink)
    As always, misinformation spreading about.

Vista might've been a disaster when it first came out, but that was a long time ago and a lot has changed since then.  So much so, that Vista (as of SP2) is currently better than XP.  Windows 7 has been reported to be even better than Vista, but sadly I'll have to wait a little before transitioning.  Anyways, XP was a good OS but it's time to move to better things and that's what Windows 7 represents for a lot of us.  Hope M$ keeps up the good work.

Take care!

Intel Q9400 2.66 GHz
    8 GB of RAM @ 800 Mhz
    ATI Radeon HD 3650
    Cubase 6.03 x64
    Sonar PE 8.5.3 x64
    RME FireFace 400

DonM
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4129
    Re:** Critical ** Windows 7 DAW Tweak .... Disable CPU Core Parking 2009/10/20 18:57:25 (permalink)
    Good info:

I'm busy building my Win7 DAW and with how much work I am involved in right now, I hope I will finish it between Christmas and New Years. 

I'd say that deciding whether it is a problem or not is less of an issue for me.  It's just simply tuning the OS to do what I (we) need.  That's why they call it software.

Thanks for the heads up.

-D

Teksonik
    Re:** Critical ** Windows 7 DAW Tweak .... Disable CPU Core Parking 2009/10/20 19:05:47 (permalink)
    "As always, misinformation spreading about. "

No misinformation.  Vista was/is a disaster.  Hence the need for "Windows 7" (Anyone remember Windows ME?)

Anyway I'll be following the progress of 7 to see how it functions in the world of DAWs..................

post edited by Teksonik - 2009/10/20 19:07:37
    Dave Allison
    • Total Posts : 346
    Re:** Critical ** Windows 7 DAW Tweak .... Disable CPU Core Parking 2009/10/20 19:22:04 (permalink)
    Teksonik

The musician and the business user have quite different requirements, so it's not unreasonable that the default configuration will be good for one, and the other will have to tweak...

Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, Motu 24I/O

Sonar 8.5 Producer, Pro-Tools 9, Avid Media Composer, Melodyne.
    John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    Re:** Critical ** Windows 7 DAW Tweak .... Disable CPU Core Parking 2009/10/20 19:47:14 (permalink)
    "As always, misinformation spreading about. " No misinformation. Vista was/is a disaster. Hence the need for "Windows 7" (Anyone remember Windows ME?) Anyway I'll be following the progress of 7 to see how it functions in the world of DAWs..................
    Vista is working just find on my system.  If it were a disaster would it be so good on my system?  BTW, I also have XP on a separate drive and when I loaded it up I was not a happy camper with how slow it was and how brain dead it was. 

Why people still cling to this notion that Vista was a disaster baffles me. On a good Vista ready machine it will run rings around XP. One thing though if you judge Vista on a machine that was built for XP then it could very well be a disaster. But then any knowledgeable person wouldn't do that right?

The reason Windows 7 is coming out is so MS can make more money. It is not because Vista is a bad OS.

Best
    John
    Jose7822
    Re:** Critical ** Windows 7 DAW Tweak .... Disable CPU Core Parking 2009/10/20 21:42:06 (permalink)
    Vista works great on my system. 

I don't even fire up my XP machine any more (not nearly as much anyways).  It's so 2001 :-P

Intel Q9400 2.66 GHz
    8 GB of RAM @ 800 Mhz
    ATI Radeon HD 3650
    Cubase 6.03 x64
    Sonar PE 8.5.3 x64
    RME FireFace 400

juca
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1376
    Re:** Critical ** Windows 7 DAW Tweak .... Disable CPU Core Parking 2009/10/20 22:38:46 (permalink)
    Hi Tom G:
    Only one question: are the Core 2 Duo (E8400) machines also affected by this problem?
    The "and/or" assertive in the "Who are affected" item put me in doubt.
    Thanks for a clarify.
    Greetings.

On edit: I could understand as "It  only  applies to Windows 7 X64 and X32 and  only  in systems using  more  than 2 physicial CPU's  or  more than 2  "logical" cores. So, I was in doubt...
    post edited by juca - 2009/10/20 22:41:36

****** Juca Nascimento ******
    Keyboards/Composer/Arranger

Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
    Cakewalk Staff
    • Total Posts : 6475
    Re:** Critical ** Windows 7 DAW Tweak .... Disable CPU Core Parking 2009/10/20 23:52:55 (permalink)
    BTW I just wanted to clarify that we're aware of core parking. We ran into this while we were doing some benchmarking and saw some cores not used. However its important to note that this doesn't necessarily mean underperformance. I wrote some stuff about it in my Win7 article on our blog.

In the test we did we didn't see any observable degradation in performance with core parking on other than the task manager CPU readout. However under higher load it appeared that all cores were working. Were you able to demonstrate actual glitching or loss of performance with core parking off? I agree though that core parking is primarily a power management feature so if power is not a concern its ok to disable it.

Noel Borthwick
    Senior Manager Audio Core, BandLab
    My Blog, Twitter, BandLab Profile
    John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    Re:** Critical ** Windows 7 DAW Tweak .... Disable CPU Core Parking 2009/10/21 00:10:44 (permalink)
    I agree though that core parking is primarily a power management feature so if power is not a concern its ok to disable it.
    Yes but don't we all want to be green? I am going to build a 1 watt power supply for my next desktop just so I can say I am  greener then anyone else.

Best
    John
    Glyn Barnes
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7564
    Re:** Critical ** Windows 7 DAW Tweak .... Disable CPU Core Parking 2009/10/21 00:12:40 (permalink)
    Jose7822

Vista might've been a disaster when it first came out, but that was a long time ago and a lot has changed since then.  So much so, that Vista (as of SP2) is currently better than XP.  
    +1 - Vista 64 SP2 is much better that XP. My original dislike for the Vista GIU was fixed once I found you could switch to "Classic Mode".

It's a shame that so many companies have not made their software more Vista friendly. UAC for example is a very good idea but so many software packages need it switched off to function correctly.

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
    Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
    Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
    TomG
    Re:** Critical ** Windows 7 DAW Tweak .... Disable CPU Core Parking 2009/10/21 03:06:26 (permalink)
    Hi juca - no it %100 does not affect  Core 2 Duo  DAW's.

Core Parking is a Win 7 feature which only  operates on  4-core or more systems - be they real or virtual cores - thats why i7 users were the first to  "see" it

Tom
    Freddie H
    Re:** Critical ** Windows 7 DAW Tweak .... Disable CPU Core Parking 2009/10/21 04:57:02 (permalink)
    John

I agree though that core parking is primarily a power management feature so if power is not a concern its ok to disable it.
    Yes but don't we all want to be green? I am going to build a 1 watt power supply for my next desktop just so I can say I am  greener then anyone else.

Hehe Great John!! I will add a 2000 watt to compensate!

-Highly developed spirits often encounter resistance from mediocre minds. -It really matters!
    Freddie H
    Re:** Critical ** Windows 7 DAW Tweak .... Disable CPU Core Parking 2009/10/21 05:06:12 (permalink)
    I think its just bull that we need to disable all kinds of stuff in BIOS and OS always?
    Why can't it be like this. "Green mode" or "Performance mode". in OS.

"Green"for home computers. Performance = for Work computers= FULL POWER on PSU, Full power to the CPU! All CPU-cores ON always!, No HD Sleep, No Screen Sleep. No Wait, No Sleep mode, No Auto log off! 

How hard can it be?

Regards
    Freddie

ducatibruce2
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 557
    Re:** Critical ** Windows 7 DAW Tweak .... Disable CPU Core Parking 2009/10/21 07:54:43 (permalink)
    Yes but don't we all want to be green? I am going to build a 1 watt power supply for my next desktop just so I can say I am greener then anyone else.

Mine's powered by a dynamo driven by an excercise bike - be sure to keep an eye out for my new topic "How do I get the heavy breathing out of my vocal tracks"

S8.5.3PE & X1d P Exp & X2P, Q6600 @3Ghz, 4GB DDR2, XP SP3
    With Knobs: 2 x Yamaha i88x mlan (ASIO), RS7000, Motif ESR, Roland SI24, VSynth XT, Varios, Fantom XR, JunoD, HPD10, Korg PadKontrol
    No knobs: P5, DimPro, Rapture, Z3ta+, IK stuff, ReCycle, Komplete8
    Teksonik
    Re:** Critical ** Windows 7 DAW Tweak .... Disable CPU Core Parking 2009/10/21 08:18:38 (permalink)
    Dave Allison

Teksonik

The musician and the business user have quite different requirements, so it's not unreasonable that the default configuration will be good for one, and the other will have to tweak...

It's unreasonable for anyone to have to do Reg tweaks to a new OS version.
    Teksonik
    Re:** Critical ** Windows 7 DAW Tweak .... Disable CPU Core Parking 2009/10/21 08:25:05 (permalink)
    John

Vista is working just find on my system. 

Well that makes two of you.  Certainly a feather in Microsoft's cap.

I see the Vista spellchecker is working "find".  :-)

Chill out. Just yanking your chains fellows. Like Vista? Use it. Who cares.
    tyacko
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1190
    Re:** Critical ** Windows 7 DAW Tweak .... Disable CPU Core Parking 2009/10/21 08:29:49 (permalink)
    I am going to be putting Win 7 64-bit on my second boot and I'll set this "Core Parking" setting provided.  I personally have no problem trying what might not be a problem for the typical user experience (parking of cores).  With this being my DAW I want to have all of the core available when needed.  So, if I have to "tweak" the registry on this initial release to make that happen I will.

Microsoft tends to release their "Power Toys" utility apps shortly after the release of their new OSes so that power users can do the same we'll be doing with this manual tweak through a user interface.

I apprecriate someone finding this tweak and helping us out.

Tom
    post edited by tyacko - 2009/10/21 08:31:14

Our SoundClick page

ASUS P9X79 PRO, Intel i7 3930K, 32gig RAM G.SKILL Ripjaws, RME Babyface USB, GeForce GTX 550 Ti, UAD-2, Intel 510 120gig SSD Drive, Win7 64-bit, Sonar X1E 64-bit, Studio One V2 
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1