Helpful ReplyCuBase Elements Demo - First Impressions

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
DrLumen
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 621
Re: CuBase Elements Demo - First Impressions 2017/12/02 08:17:48 (permalink)
I was able to get through all the hoops and downloads for the Cubase Elements demo. It will work when Sonar finally fails but it didn't blow my doors off. There seems to be a lot of legacy bloat, meaning that there are UI pieces that are there for no seemingly practical reason. Do I really care about the instrument preload memory?

16 instrument slots, really? The TTS-1 handles that in 1 instrument. What I have heard of the included instruments have not impressed either. Some sounded ok but most sound thin. Not crazy about the small type in the UI on 43" @ 3840x2160.

Meh, the trial works for 29 more days but I'm not as impressed as I was hoping. Maybe that will change.

-When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Sonar Platinum / Intel i7-4790K / AsRock Z97 / 32GB RAM / Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB / Behringer FCA610 / M-Audio Sport 2x4 / Win7 x64 Pro / WDC Black HDD's / EVO 850 SSD's / Alesis Q88 / Boss DS-330 / Korg nanoKontrol / Novation Launch Control / 14.5" Lava Lamp
JClosed
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 690
Re: CuBase Elements Demo - First Impressions 2017/12/02 09:37:45 (permalink)
Ehh.. DrLumen, do you not confuse instrument slots? You can have one multitimbral instument in one slot and (as an example Omnisphere 2) feeded by 8 MIDI channels/tracks and 8 audio outputs/tracks. So - for 8 MIDI-in and 8 Audio out tracks you only need one (rack) instrument slot.

The same goes for things like Native Instruments Kontakt. So - If you combine for instance Omnisphere 2 and Kontakt, You have a wealth of sounds and instruments with only two slots occupied.

Of course Cubase Elements has some limitations, but the program only cost a fraction of Sonar Platinum, or Cubase Pro. It's hardly fair to compare a inexpensive basic product to a full fledged expensive version.

And yes - You have to adapt to a new work flow, keys, and key-combo's, like you have to do with all new DAW's you start to use. Every program/DAW has it's own similarities and differences with other programs/DAW's. Once you have learned your way in a program (and that's true for any DAW like FL-Studio, Reason, Ableton Live, Bitwig, Reaper, Studio One... you name it), you will work very fluid and comfortable.

Finally there is personal taste. I use  several DAW's (FL-Studio, Cubase, Ableton Live, Sonar Plat), and each of them has their pro's and cons. Personally I am most comfortable with Cubase, but I have to admit there was a bit of a learning curve before I felt that comfortable, simply because there are so many things you can do with that program and it takes time to learn that.
JohnEgan
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 543
Re: CuBase Elements Demo - First Impressions 2017/12/02 14:03:10 (permalink)
JonD
JohnEgan
... but I dont think I need or want anything too complex or have to totally reprogram my brains thinking process. LOL.

John, have you checked out Mixcraft?  Solid set of features, no bloat.  MIDI is fairly basic (compared to Sonar/Cubase), but probably enough for most users. 
Also, the GUI could definitely use a face-lift compared to the cool, refined GUIs of the competition... Still, it's worth a tryout.

Yea Hi, I have checked it out I believe I had it installed and using it within 5 minutes, also you can drag and drop midi and audio from Sonar into MC tracks, and most all Sonar VI's and plugins work except those requiring unlock codes. Its definitely not Sonar, but like it, its geared to musicians to easily making and recording music, where Cubase to me is a somewhat of a complex machine geared to producing a product, not to say thats a bad thing if thats where your at.
I will say, while I find CuBase a bit intimidating as it represents for me reinventing the wheel, its also intriguing as it represents a challenge, just not sure I want to take my time away from making music to learn a new process.
If your into serious production and fully documenting your product and process CuBase may be the best alternative choice, albeit in that case you probably already have it. 

Cheers.    

John Egan
Sonar Platinum (2017-10),RME-UFX, PC-CPU - i7-5820, 3.3 GHz, 6 core, ASUS X99-AII, 16GB ram, GTX 960, 500 GB SSD, 2TB HDD x 2, Win7 Pro x64,  O8N2 Advanced, Melodyne Studio,.... (2 cats :(,  in the yard).

djwayne
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2021
Re: CuBase Elements Demo - First Impressions 2017/12/02 14:15:00 (permalink)
I spent some time with Cubase  Elements 9 last night. I was able to import a midi file and  played it thru my Ivory II samples....after learning a few things it was fairly easy to use and sounded really nice. Still having problems accessing East West Symphonic Gold samples, but that's an East West problem. 
pbognar
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 720
Re: CuBase Elements Demo - First Impressions 2017/12/02 15:32:43 (permalink)
abacab
Amicus717

I'm actually quite surprised at how complete the midi toolset is in Elements. 

Exactly!  I took the Elements demo earlier this year, as soon as 9.0 arrived.  I was very impressed with the Cubase Elements composition toolset.  The Arranger track and the chord track alone blows Sonar Platinum away as far as MIDI composition is concerned!!! 

I've got the Cubase Elements 9.5 demo installed. Looks pretty good so far, however, in the chord track, I am only able to add one chord. After that, nada.

Also, it appears there is no way to zoom in the score editor.
DeeringAmps
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2614
Re: CuBase Elements Demo - First Impressions 2017/12/02 15:40:19 (permalink)
I find the "Console" totally a mess.
You can't route, at least it's beyond me, your audio. No "add buss", is that what a "group channel" is.
So I get your frustration.
I'll fuss with it a bit each day, watch some more videos.
Not convinced yet.
Maybe its just me.
T

Tom Deering
Tascam FW-1884 User Resources Page
Firewire "Legacy" Tutorial, Service Manual, Schematic, and Service Bulletins

Win10x64
StudioCat Pro Studio Coffee Lake 8086k 32gb RAM

RME UFX (Audio)
Tascam FW-1884 (Control) in Win 10x64 Pro
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: CuBase Elements Demo - First Impressions 2017/12/02 16:31:02 (permalink)
I think there are two major categories of DAWs out there today.  Of course, some cross over these lines, but here are my thoughts.  This is not intended to be a complete list, rather an example of my thought process as I look for a possible Sonar replacement. 

I either own, or have tried a demo version of, everything listed here except for Bitwig and Logic.

1. Traditional DAW - linear track timeline with a deep toolset for recording, mixing, & mastering a music project. Modeled on the traditional tape based recording studio and console workflow.

2. Music making DAW - a toolset that inspires music creation on the computer, often with a non-traditional UI and workflow that does not necessarily have the steep learning curve of a traditional DAW.  Very friendly to in the box production.  But you may still need a full DAW to finish a professional project.  I don't think you will likely find a fully satisfactory replacement for Platinum in this group.  But there is nothing wrong with using more that one DAW in your workflow.  And I'm sure some folks are very happy with only one of these, rather than the other type!

Category #1 examples: Sonar Professional/Platinum, Cubase Pro, Studio One Pro, Reaper, Logic, etc.

Category #2 examples: Cubase Elements, FL-Studio, Reason, Ableton Live, Bitwig, Tracktion, Mixcraft, etc.

So what I suggest as you demo other products, realize that it is a short list of full Sonar replacements.  And none of them are likely to have a 100% workflow that you are used to with Sonar.  Switching DAWs, or adding secondary DAWs, always requires an investment in time and frustrations as you climb the learning curve.  Don't blame the product for being different from what you are used to.  Blame Gibson! 

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
abacab
Re: CuBase Elements Demo - First Impressions 2017/12/02 16:49:40 (permalink)
JClosed
You can have one multitimbral instument in one slot and (as an example Omnisphere 2) feeded by 8 MIDI channels/tracks and 8 audio outputs/tracks. So - for 8 MIDI-in and 8 Audio out tracks you only need one (rack) instrument slot.

The same goes for things like Native Instruments Kontakt. So - If you combine for instance Omnisphere 2 and Kontakt, You have a wealth of sounds and instruments with only two slots occupied.

+1

Excellent point!!!

DrLumen
Re: CuBase Elements Demo - First Impressions 2017/12/02 17:52:44 (permalink)
JClosed

That's good to know. I'm really just surprised there was a limit. One could probably do same with the same synth and a bunch of in-track program changes. What a mess that would be. Geez, I haven't used a program change in years. From what I have seen I would have to go the pro version so no real cost savings - particularly if I have to go a buy some $500 virtual synths.

abacab
I think there are two major categories of DAWs out there today.  Of course, some cross over these lines, but here are my thoughts.  This is not intended to be a complete list, rather an example of my thought process as I look for a possible Sonar replacement. 

I either own, or have tried a demo version of, everything listed here except for Bitwig and Logic.

1. Traditional DAW - linear track timeline with a deep toolset for recording, mixing, & mastering a music project. Modeled on the traditional tape based recording studio and console workflow.

2. Music making DAW - a toolset that inspires music creation on the computer, often with a non-traditional UI and workflow that does not necessarily have the steep learning curve of a traditional DAW.  Very friendly to in the box production.  But you may still need a full DAW to finish a professional project.  I don't think you will likely find a fully satisfactory replacement for Platinum in this group.  But there is nothing wrong with using more that one DAW in your workflow.  And I'm sure some folks are very happy with only one of these, rather than the other type!

Category #1 examples: Sonar Professional/Platinum, Cubase Pro, Studio One Pro, Reaper, Logic, etc.

Category #2 examples: Cubase Elements, FL-Studio, Reason, Ableton Live, Bitwig, Tracktion, Mixcraft, etc.

So what I suggest as you demo other products, realize that it is a short list of full Sonar replacements.  And none of them are likely to have a 100% workflow that you are used to with Sonar.  Switching DAWs, or adding secondary DAWs, always requires an investment in time and frustrations as you climb the learning curve.  Don't blame the product for being different from what you are used to.  Blame Gibson! 

Abacab, I have tried some other DAWs over the years and I was thinking about a similar issue. Maybe, perhaps, people like me that are used to the more linear layout DAWs are dinosaurs. When the various website polls are published on the use of the various music software programs show the likes of Ableton or Fruity Loops as the most used, I have to think that maybe my workflow may be outdated. Maybe I'm too much of a control freak and need to re-examine my paradigm. While I have never been one to play or try to compose EDM like stuff, maybe that is my real problem. In essence, PDQ Bach having an iphone instead of pen and paper.

Sonar Platinum / Intel i7-4790K / AsRock Z97 / 32GB RAM / Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB / Behringer FCA610 / M-Audio Sport 2x4 / Win7 x64 Pro / WDC Black HDD's / EVO 850 SSD's / Alesis Q88 / Boss DS-330 / Korg nanoKontrol / Novation Launch Control / 14.5" Lava Lamp
abacab
Re: CuBase Elements Demo - First Impressions 2017/12/02 19:01:39 (permalink)
DrLumen

Abacab, I have tried some other DAWs over the years and I was thinking about a similar issue. Maybe, perhaps, people like me that are used to the more linear layout DAWs are dinosaurs. When the various website polls are published on the use of the various music software programs show the likes of Ableton or Fruity Loops as the most used, I have to think that maybe my workflow may be outdated. Maybe I'm too much of a control freak and need to re-examine my paradigm. While I have never been one to play or try to compose EDM like stuff, maybe that is my real problem. In essence, PDQ Bach having an iphone instead of pen and paper.

I just grabbed the "sonar50" ($50) special for Overture 5, and I am liking it.  It's a good notation program with VST instrument support, linear track view, mixer, and a MIDI editor.  No audio yet, though ... but it's a great way to channel your "Bach"! 

**Message from Don Williams - Overture 5 - Updated**
http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3699129

DrLumen
Re: CuBase Elements Demo - First Impressions 2017/12/03 06:41:12 (permalink)
abacab
DrLumen

I just grabbed the "sonar50" ($50) special for Overture 5, and I am liking it.  It's a good notation program with VST instrument support, linear track view, mixer, and a MIDI editor.  No audio yet, though ... but it's a great way to channel your "Bach"! 

**Message from Don Williams - Overture 5 - Updated**
http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3699129

Thanks for the info but I'll probably stick with SPlat until one if us dies - either SPlat from a forced OS change or me from old age. :)

sonarman1
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 255
Re: CuBase Elements Demo - First Impressions 2017/12/03 08:38:39 (permalink)
I'm pretty sure that incase of audio their is nothing that Cubase can do that Sonar or S1 cant. I'm pretty happy with S1's elegant workflow. So there is nothing more to think about, however when it comes to midi everyone is in favor of Cubase. I do use a lot of midi. And cubase gets the highest recommendation for midi. I understand cubase is feature rich when it comes to midi, but it feels like all these daws do the same when it comes to midi core functions. In what ways do you think cubase is superior for midi purposes.

I do understand cubase does have some handy features that some daws doesnt have.
Like Event editor that S1 doesnt have.
Chord track chord assistant (which most daws dont have)
Step sequencer (available in Logic, Sonar)
Note Expression ( available only in Cubase)
What else? pls educate me.

Pretty sure these features will be soon implemented in S1 and other daws as well.T hese are handy features perhaps but to move on to cubase only for these few extra features seems not worth it as the core midi features are same in most daws. 
JClosed
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 690
Re: CuBase Elements Demo - First Impressions 2017/12/03 09:25:54 (permalink)
Well sonarman1 - The point is that all this stuff is implemented in Cubase now at this very moment.

You could argue that it "will undoubtedly implemented in other DAW's", but until now it has not. Should you buy software because somewhere in the future it will maybe, if I am lucky,  have the things that I want to use now? That's "buying on speculation", and not a very smart thing to do to be honest.

Bottom line - You must compare DAW's on the specs they have now at this very moment, and not what they "might" have somewhere in the future... Maybe.

I personally have chosen Cubase for very strong MIDI implementation. I have simply found no software that does this better. The audio department is far from weak either. You know that Chord tracks also work on audio (granted - on "solo" material primarily, but still handy)? And dragging MIDI loop in a sample track creates an audio loop? For me Cubase Pro has a lot of features that I found very valuable for me.

For instance - I love the Control Room. I can have the master output signal routed to my monitors with ARC 2 room correction (on audio 1-2 on my MOTU Trav) while at the same time output to my headphone (on Phones 1-2) with TB Isone monitor simulation, and output the final mix to file without having any of those plugins interfering with the output to file. This is just an example, because the Control Room can do much more, but you get the picture.

I do not miss ARA that much, because Cubase Pro has his own version of pitch correction called VariAudio. There you can do pitch and time corection, and it works very well and fast because it's integrated. Granted - Melodyne works better if those corrections must be extreme, but that's not very often. As we got Melodyne for free already with Sonar Platinum, we can use it as VST plugin in these extreme cases, but to be honest - I use it seldom.

Granted - Most of the things I am talking about are not present in the Elements version, but that's the case in most "bottom line" versions of DAW software (take for instance Ableton Live Intro that has only an 8x8 matrix, 8 Scenes and only 2 send/return tracks to work with).
abacab
Re: CuBase Elements Demo - First Impressions 2017/12/03 15:35:58 (permalink)
sonarman1
I'm pretty sure that incase of audio their is nothing that Cubase can do that Sonar or S1 cant. I'm pretty happy with S1's elegant workflow. So there is nothing more to think about, however when it comes to midi everyone is in favor of Cubase. I do use a lot of midi. And cubase gets the highest recommendation for midi. I understand cubase is feature rich when it comes to midi, but it feels like all these daws do the same when it comes to midi core functions. In what ways do you think cubase is superior for midi purposes.

I do understand cubase does have some handy features that some daws doesnt have.

Pretty sure these features will be soon implemented in S1 and other daws as well.T hese are handy features perhaps but to move on to cubase only for these few extra features seems not worth it as the core midi features are same in most daws. 

I will probably buy Studio One for $125 because it is a solid DAW, and very popular, so it should be around for a while. And that half price crossgrade will probably not be seen again soon!  If Cubase Pro crossgrade pricing was a match, the decision would be harder. 

I mostly work with MIDI, but in the box now, so my external MIDI gear is in storage.  I assume that S1 will give me 99% of what I need.

And I would still buy Cubase Elements for $99, just for the Chord Track feature alone.  Great for composing in the box.  But that is no rush, since that is the normal price.  That, and improved notation, would have made Sonar the very best DAW available! 

ØSkald
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1248
Re: CuBase Elements Demo - First Impressions 2017/12/03 21:22:59 (permalink)
I'm still waiting fro the USB key to come in the mail.

Asus TUF Z370-Pro Gaming, Bugera Trirec Infinium, Cakewalk Platinum, Corsair RM750 750W, Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4x8GB, Gigabyte GTX 960 2GB, Genelec 6010A with 5040A sub, Ibanez AEG10II BK, Ibanez Iron Label RGIR27E BK, Ibanez Iron Label RGIR28FE BK, Ibanez RG550 RF, Ibanez RG570 FMCS, Ibanez SR506 BM, Intel Core i7 8700K, USB, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate with Kontrol S61, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe SSD, Samsung SSDs 840 EVO 1TB, Toontrack EZdrummer 2, Toontrack EZMix 2, Toontrack Superior Drummer 3, UA Apollo Twin Duo, Windows 10 Pro
DrLumen
Re: CuBase Elements Demo - First Impressions 2017/12/04 06:01:44 (permalink)
Another place that some DAWs lack is with midi sysex messages. Probably not a big deal for most and if you haven't needed them you likely won't need them. I still have some lighting controllers that use sysex midi messages to trigger data transfers. I also still have an external synth that accepts sysex - if I want to get into tweaking effects internals programmatically.

Some of those same DAWs may lack in midi effects. I didn't use them much but they were there. I do use CAL for midi to generate some lighting sequences. I've seen that Cubase has some type of batch processing thing but I'm not sure it will do all what I can currently do in CAL.

The point being, there is quite a bit that can be done with midi other than just recording a synth performance and few DAWs implement it fully. YMMV

sonarman1
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 255
Re: CuBase Elements Demo - First Impressions 2017/12/04 06:43:04 (permalink)

Well sonarman1 - The point is that all this stuff is implemented in Cubase now at this very moment.

You could argue that it "will undoubtedly implemented in other DAW's", but until now it has not. Should you buy software because somewhere in the future it will maybe, if I am lucky,  have the things that I want to use now? That's "buying on speculation", and not a very smart thing to do to be honest.

Bottom line - You must compare DAW's on the specs they have now at this very moment, and not what they "might" have somewhere in the future... Maybe.

I personally have chosen Cubase for very strong MIDI implementation. I have simply found no software that does this better. The audio department is far from weak either. You know that Chord tracks also work on audio (granted - on "solo" material primarily, but still handy)? And dragging MIDI loop in a sample track creates an audio loop? For me Cubase Pro has a lot of features that I found very valuable for me.

For instance - I love the Control Room. I can have the master output signal routed to my monitors with ARC 2 room correction (on audio 1-2 on my MOTU Trav) while at the same time output to my headphone (on Phones 1-2) with TB Isone monitor simulation, and output the final mix to file without having any of those plugins interfering with the output to file. This is just an example, because the Control Room can do much more, but you get the picture.

I do not miss ARA that much, because Cubase Pro has his own version of pitch correction called VariAudio. There you can do pitch and time corection, and it works very well and fast because it's integrated. Granted - Melodyne works better if those corrections must be extreme, but that's not very often. As we got Melodyne for free already with Sonar Platinum, we can use it as VST plugin in these extreme cases, but to be honest - I use it seldom.

Granted - Most of the things I am talking about are not present in the Elements version, but that's the case in most "bottom line" versions of DAW software (take for instance Ableton Live Intro that has only an 8x8 matrix, 8 Scenes and only 2 send/return tracks to work with).

Great. I would like to know more of what cubase can do which other daws don't. Other than the ones listed above. It will help me in trying it out. Thanks for the post. I'm also checking out some youtube videos to get a glimpse of midi workflow in cubase. 
pbognar
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 720
Re: CuBase Elements Demo - First Impressions 2017/12/07 23:19:19 (permalink)
abacab
sonarman1

I will probably buy Studio One for $125 because it is a solid DAW, and very popular, so it should be around for a while. And that half price crossgrade will probably not be seen again soon!  If Cubase Pro crossgrade pricing was a match, the decision would be harder. 

I mostly work with MIDI, but in the box now, so my external MIDI gear is in storage.  I assume that S1 will give me 99% of what I need.

And I would still buy Cubase Elements for $99, just for the Chord Track feature alone.  Great for composing in the box.  But that is no rush, since that is the normal price.  That, and improved notation, would have made Sonar the very best DAW available! 

I am playing with the Cubase Elements 9.5 demo.  It has features like Chord Track, Chord Pads, Chord Assistant, Chorder, and a very nice integrated notation editor.

I downloaded the Elements demo, because I wanted to see if my old computer was up to the task.

I find the for the most part performance is pretty good, but the app seems a little quirky.  Little things, like when single clicking loops in the media bay, sometimes they are automatically put into the project.  Other mouse click selection behavior is weird, like chord track editing sometimes requires repeated single clicks or a double click.

It's almost like something is intercepting mouse clicks - and this behavior is not the same as when using Reaper, or Mixcraft.

I really want to like Cubase, but if I buy Elements or Pro, I don't want to end up having to buy a new computer, just so Cubase behaves properly.

If I can't get this resolved, I'll probably go with Mixcraft (for composing) and Reaper.

Here I was hung up on Staff View handling of triplets... I guess you don't know what you have until it's too late.  Maybe I should dedicate a PC to Sonar X3 Pro and disconnect it from the internet.  geh...
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1