Author
JohnEgan
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 543
2017/11/30 18:15:58 (permalink)

CuBase Elements Demo - First Impressions

My first impression, Totally Craptacular

Firstly cant demo full pro version without buying a dongle,
After hours trying to get a demo active, long arduous downloads and setups, program, downloader, eLincencer, emails, registrations, registration codes, etc.. having to change video screen settings or it wont start, cant resize full main window, not even started yet and totally frustrated.
Simply looking through user interface, what a mess, it would take a lot of time figuring out their conventions alone, not just a matter of familiarity, definitely far from Sonar's ease, its a mass of confusion for me, it makes ProTools look wonderful and easy, I was recording in PT, minutes after getting it load properly, which was a hassle also. By comparison Mixcraft was a nice walk in the park, CuBase a walk through the pig pen blindfolded, but thats just my first impression, LOL. Maybe Ill try again tomorrow when Im not as frustrated. 

If thats any help to anyone looking for a  simple solution, dont even bother wasting your time, unless you have a lot of time to waste away from making music. Honestly though even after all this hassle getting it to load. I dont think Im even going to bother trying to use it. 

On to Studio One demo

Cheers 

John Egan
Sonar Platinum (2017-10),RME-UFX, PC-CPU - i7-5820, 3.3 GHz, 6 core, ASUS X99-AII, 16GB ram, GTX 960, 500 GB SSD, 2TB HDD x 2, Win7 Pro x64,  O8N2 Advanced, Melodyne Studio,.... (2 cats :(,  in the yard).

abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: CuBase Elements Demo - First Impressions 2017/11/30 19:25:25 (permalink)
I had the totally opposite experience with Cubase Elements 9!!!

Install and setup went without a hitch.  For me it was elegant, logical, and quite intuitive.  There is always going to be a learning curve with a new DAW, so I hit some Groove3 videos and skimmed the user manual.  Good to go.  You are not going to just plug in a DAW this deep and hit the ground running without doing a bit of homework, LOL!!!  So be realistic with your expectations! 

I tried it earlier this year when I was searching for some MIDI composition tools that Sonar lacked.  They worked very well, but Cubase had too much overlap with Sonar for me at the time, so I did not purchase.

I will likely be revisiting that decision based on the recent news about Cakewalk! 

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
Jon Bryson
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 377
Re: CuBase Elements Demo - First Impressions 2017/11/30 19:31:50 (permalink)
Have to say I also am having a very positive experience with Cubase Elements 9.  I thought it actually looked quite clean compared to Sonar.  Still digging in to it though so we'll see.
Amicus717
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 555
Re: CuBase Elements Demo - First Impressions 2017/11/30 19:42:22 (permalink)
Is there a demo for Elements, and does it need a dongle? I could only find a demo for Pro. I don't have an e-licenser. I haven't used Cubase in a very long time, and I was curious to check in on it. And since I've already demo'd every other DAW under the sun, I might as well complete the tour...

Sonar Platinum, Windows 10 Pro 64, Core i7-5820K Haswell-E CPU, 32GB DDR4 RAM, RME Babyface, Adam F7 monitors, Mackie MCU
abacab
Re: CuBase Elements Demo - First Impressions 2017/11/30 19:43:07 (permalink)
Jon Bryson
Have to say I also am having a very positive experience with Cubase Elements 9.  I thought it actually looked quite clean compared to Sonar.  Still digging in to it though so we'll see.

Cubase is a very deep program, and has many features that not everybody will use.  Cubase, Cakewalk, and Logic were the original DAWs based on MIDI sequencers, so the have a core MIDI pedigree.

So if you work with MIDI a lot, and don't have a Mac (Logic), then Cubase becomes a logical choice! 

abacab
Re: CuBase Elements Demo - First Impressions 2017/11/30 19:45:06 (permalink)
Amicus717
Is there a demo for Elements, and does it need a dongle? I could only find a demo for Pro. I don't have an e-licenser. I haven't used Cubase in a very long time, and I was curious to check in on it.

No dongle for Elements.  It uses a software activation method.

abacab
Re: CuBase Elements Demo - First Impressions 2017/11/30 19:54:12 (permalink)
I really like that Steinberg included both the Arranger Track, and the Chord Track, in Elements, and didn't cut them away.

Those are two features that Sonar really needed!

Only Cubase Pro has the full professional music notation, score editing and printing, but even elements has a basic version of that.  The feature comparison is here.
https://www.steinberg.net...cubase/comparison.html

So I am thinking that maybe $99 for Elements and $50 for Overture 5, and I'm all set for now! 
http://forum.cakewalk.com/Message-from-Don-Williams-Overture-5-Updated-m3699129.aspx

Then someday if I am need of advanced audio mixing and editing, I will just upgrade to Cubase Pro. 

vintagevibe
Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2446
Re: CuBase Elements Demo - First Impressions 2017/11/30 19:55:24 (permalink)
I’m a big Cubase user/fan but their copy projection is a cluster&$@x!
JohnEgan
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 543
Re: CuBase Elements Demo - First Impressions 2017/11/30 20:40:56 (permalink)
vintagevibe
I’m a big Cubase user/fan but their copy projection is a cluster&$@x!

Yea, like I said I was so frustrated after going through the maze of authorizations and setups Id didn't have the patience to start trying to use it with any patience, Im not sure how anyone could do that elegantly and smoothly if you weren't already installed, registered and setup at, at least three different programs and levels authorizations. Ill take another look at the actual program tomorrow from a fresh perspective, but I dont think I need or want anything too complex or have to totally reprogram my brains thinking process. LOL. Ill log into Groove3 and check out some of their tutorials also. Oh also somehow screwed up my RME-UFX Total-Mix main out setting, which I had to reset.       

John Egan
Sonar Platinum (2017-10),RME-UFX, PC-CPU - i7-5820, 3.3 GHz, 6 core, ASUS X99-AII, 16GB ram, GTX 960, 500 GB SSD, 2TB HDD x 2, Win7 Pro x64,  O8N2 Advanced, Melodyne Studio,.... (2 cats :(,  in the yard).

djwayne
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2021
Re: CuBase Elements Demo - First Impressions 2017/11/30 21:39:55 (permalink)
Elements 9 doesn't need a dongle. I just got done installing my copy of the program I bought. (no demo) It worked fine for me, a bit of a pain to activate, but I got it. I'm happy to have the program. 
CL2Zero
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 100
Re: CuBase Elements Demo - First Impressions 2017/12/01 02:02:34 (permalink)
One thing that I was very impressed with in Cubase Elements is the guitar amps.
It is called VST guitar rack, I think.
I already have plenty of VST amps, Bias, etc. But dang if it isn't pretty nice.
I am really liking Cubase and Studio One. I will probably get both.
Cubase has a lot of things figured out. Like the lower zone. In the top right you can select different layouts.
The one I am using has the mixer at the bottom with tabs to open the editor, sampler, chords and one other I think.
it is just way easy to jump back and forth between different views.
Thumbs up to Cubase for sure.

Sonar Platinum, Win 10 64-bit, AMD FX 4170 CPU 4X 4.2 Ghz, MSI 970 mobo, 16-Gigs DDR3 Kingston RAM, Corsair M4 SSD, 2 Velocaraptor HDs, MSI HD7770 GPU, Ultra 1000 PSU
Rain
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9736
Re: CuBase Elements Demo - First Impressions 2017/12/01 02:27:46 (permalink)
The only time I've had any kind of issue with Cubase Elements was back when I first demo'ed version 6 - a minor glitch, which I can't remember exactly but which didn't prevent me from buying it. I've kept it up to date ever since and never had any issue. 9.5 works like a charm for me (on Mac).

Of course, I'd be curious to try the full-blown Cubase, but I am a Logic guy at heart and I don't need full blown alternatives. Elements is plenty enough when I want to spice things up and work in a different environment for a bit.

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
Amicus717
Re: CuBase Elements Demo - First Impressions 2017/12/01 02:52:19 (permalink)
Does Elements work with control surfaces? I can't seem to find a way to get my MCU to work with it. I wonder if that functionality is saved for Artist and Pro...?

Sonar Platinum, Windows 10 Pro 64, Core i7-5820K Haswell-E CPU, 32GB DDR4 RAM, RME Babyface, Adam F7 monitors, Mackie MCU
Rain
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9736
Re: CuBase Elements Demo - First Impressions 2017/12/01 03:04:45 (permalink)
Couldn't say for others, but it did work with Steinberg's own. I used a CMC TP that I won on Facebook with it for a while - I just prefer to stick with the computer keyboard.

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
Amicus717
Re: CuBase Elements Demo - First Impressions 2017/12/01 03:24:55 (permalink)
Overall, I'm actually fairly impressed with Elements, so far -- fairly elegant design and workflow, intuitive enough that I am figuring most things out fairly quickly. Midi editing tools are pretty damn good, and I'm only just getting started with them. 

35mm
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1105
Re: CuBase Elements Demo - First Impressions 2017/12/01 06:58:14 (permalink)
Amicus717
Does Elements work with control surfaces? I can't seem to find a way to get my MCU to work with it. I wonder if that functionality is saved for Artist and Pro...?

Yes it does. There's a multi-stage process in setting it up but it works well.

Splat, Win 10 64bit and all sorts of musical odds and sods collected over the years, but still missing a lot of my old analogue stuff I sold off years ago.
35mm
Re: CuBase Elements Demo - First Impressions 2017/12/01 07:07:46 (permalink)
After having recommended Cubase to fellow Sonarians who need the deep features of a high end DAW, I, unfortunately, will not be getting it my self. Cubase's GUI does not like my system/GPU and runs really sluggish despite the fact that I use my system for a lot of graphics, 3D and video work and don't have any problems with anything else. It's disappointing, but having dug further into Studio One I think it will do very nicely with the addition of Notion to go with it. S1 is developed in the same city as Cubase and by several ex Cubase developers so it's not a million miles away :)

Splat, Win 10 64bit and all sorts of musical odds and sods collected over the years, but still missing a lot of my old analogue stuff I sold off years ago.
vintagevibe
Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2446
Re: CuBase Elements Demo - First Impressions 2017/12/01 08:00:28 (permalink)
35mm I think it will do very nicely with the addition of Notion to go with it.

What’s cool about Notion 6 is that it sends all data out via MIDI Rewire (only notation app that does that). What that means is that you can keep all of your sound/samples, controller data, and key switches in your DAW and compose in Notion while hearing the final sounds in real time. At mix just import the MIDI data into your DAW. Beautiful, can’t be over stated how cool that is!
ZincTrumpet
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 891
Re: CuBase Elements Demo - First Impressions 2017/12/01 11:04:13 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Shambler 2017/12/01 12:43:27
My experience with Elements pretty much echoes abacab's.

I was mainly attracted by the Chord and Arranger Track features. I started on AI 8 (free with Steinberg UR242 audio interface), then upgraded to Elements 9 when it was on offer and plan to upgrade to 9.5 (current cost £17). I also added Symphonic Orchestra when it was on offer which has some decent sounds although I probably still prefer Miroslav Philharmonic CE overall but still it gives some variety to orchestral instruments.

I like Halion SE 3 and many of the included instruments although some of the default ratings seem to be wrong i.e. the lesser sounding GM instruments have 4 stars whereas the better sounding ones have 2 stars. I am gradually changing these ratings when I find them. The analogue synth sounds are really nice.

The channel strip is nicely organised and works well and the included effects are fine although I have lots of 3rd party stuff so that's not really an issue for me.

One bonus is that it also seems a lot more stable than Sonar with Sampletank 3 (full version). Once I get the Sonar version of Breverb 2 unlocked in Cubase Elements I will be very happy as that is my goto reverb in Sonar.

A minor thing I dislike is the "two windows" at startup where the Steinberg Hub window seems separate to the menu at the top. It looks messy as you can see stuff behind in the space between the hub and the menu. It's fine once you start a project though.

Amicus717
Re: CuBase Elements Demo - First Impressions 2017/12/01 14:44:52 (permalink)
35mm
Amicus717

I'm guessing that means there is no existing template for the MCU? 

35mm
Re: CuBase Elements Demo - First Impressions 2017/12/01 15:31:23 (permalink)
Amicus717
35mm
Amicus717

I'm guessing that means there is no existing template for the MCU? 

I set it up with my M-audio Projectmix and everything just worked - I set the PM up for Cubase. It took me a while to figure out how to set it up and was starting to think that Elements maybe didn't support external controllers.

I can't tell you the steps I used to set it up because I have now uninstalled Elements, but I think I had to set up the midi first and then I found somewhere else where I could set up a controller.

mritenburg
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 50
Re: CuBase Elements Demo - First Impressions 2017/12/01 16:19:50 (permalink)
I installed the Cubase Elements trial last night expecting to hate it based on feedback here.  I was hoping it would tip me over into Studio One which I have already tried and like quite a bit.

I found that I like Cubase way more than I expected.   I found it intuitive and easy to use.  The UI layout is very similar to Sonar.  The work flow also is quite similar.  I also found that I really like the sound of the Cubase processing  plugins.  I also easily used most of my Sonar plugins: LP EQ, LP MB, Zeta+, etc.   

To me, the entire Cubase experience feels more refined and smooth than Sonar.  I'm surprised I've never tried it before.

Unfortunately, being pleasantly surprised by Cubase has not made my decision any easier.

JClosed
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 690
Re: CuBase Elements Demo - First Impressions 2017/12/01 16:23:16 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Amicus717 2017/12/02 04:26:46
Amicus717

I really don't know about Elements, but I assume it should work. We are talking about the Mackie Unit right?

This is an old video, but it still works in Cubase 9.5 the same way:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe5b-Wu8_5g

If this does not work for you, or you do not see the menu's, then I guess it won't work in Elements. I would be surprised if that is the case though.
Amicus717
Re: CuBase Elements Demo - First Impressions 2017/12/02 02:29:18 (permalink)
35mm
Amicus717

Figured it out! And yeah, does work well. 

Gotta say -- I'm very impressed with Elements. Cubase has a lot of differences from Sonar, but nonetheless I'm surprised how quickly I've begun feeling at home using it. And there are a lot of features I like, even in this stripped down Elements version. In particular, I really like dealing with midi in Cubase. Good midi tools, and I like how they are implemented, and I'm finding it very easy to figure out what I want to do.

Seems to me this is a very polished and mature program. 

abacab
Re: CuBase Elements Demo - First Impressions 2017/12/02 03:09:04 (permalink)
I'm thinking that the easy answer here is to take advantage of the limited-time half price crossgrade offer for Studio one Professional.  Then pick up Cubase Elements.  You will end up with a lot of DAW for ~$250. 

Amicus717
Re: CuBase Elements Demo - First Impressions 2017/12/02 03:17:42 (permalink)
abacab
I'm thinking that the easy answer here is to take advantage of the limited-time half price crossgrade offer for Studio one Professional.  Then pick up Cubase Elements.  You will end up with a lot of DAW for ~$250. 

lol. I can improve on that! And I was actually somewhat thinking along those lines -- I am almost entirely a midi guy, doing ITB orchestral stuff, and as long as I have robust midi tools and can mix it all down to audio, I'm pretty happy. I know Cubase Pro has a ton of useful stuff in it that I'd probably enjoy using, but Elements is pretty damn good for midi work on its own. I already have Cubase LE 5 (from a cheap interface I was running on my second system a few years ago) which qualifies me to upgrade it to Elements for the princely sum of $49. No e-licenser, no retail box, just half a c-note and I'm good to go. Kick $150 to Presonus and I got both for $200. :)

I'm actually quite surprised at how complete the midi toolset is in Elements. 

abacab
Re: CuBase Elements Demo - First Impressions 2017/12/02 03:23:15 (permalink)
Amicus717

I'm actually quite surprised at how complete the midi toolset is in Elements. 

Exactly!  I took the Elements demo earlier this year, as soon as 9.0 arrived.  I was very impressed with the Cubase Elements composition toolset.  The Arranger track and the chord track alone blows Sonar Platinum away as far as MIDI composition is concerned!!! 

Amicus717
Re: CuBase Elements Demo - First Impressions 2017/12/02 03:35:02 (permalink)
Although, I'm wondering if owing Sonar Plat, Samplitude Pro X3, Studio One 3, Reaper, Mixbus and Cubase Elements might start to look a little silly in my forum signature...heh

abacab
Re: CuBase Elements Demo - First Impressions 2017/12/02 03:37:53 (permalink)
Amicus717
Although, I'm wondering if owing Sonar Plat, Samplitude Pro X3, Studio One 3, Reaper, Mixbus and Cubase Elements might start to look a little silly in my forum signature...heh

Rawk on, LOL!!! 

JonD
Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3617
Re: CuBase Elements Demo - First Impressions 2017/12/02 04:08:01 (permalink)
JohnEgan
... but I dont think I need or want anything too complex or have to totally reprogram my brains thinking process. LOL.

John, have you checked out Mixcraft?  Solid set of features, no bloat.  MIDI is fairly basic (compared to Sonar/Cubase), but probably enough for most users. 

Also, the GUI could definitely use a face-lift compared to the cool, refined GUIs of the competition... Still, it's worth a tryout.

SonarPlat/CWbBL, Win 10 Pro, i7 2600K, Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, 16GB DDR3, Radeon HD5450, TC Electronic Impact Twin, Kawai MP11 Piano, Event ALP Monitors, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Too Many Plugins, My lucky hat.
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1