Dancing With Debbie - Rough Mix

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
ATS
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 877
Re:Dancing With Debbie - Rough Mix 2011/09/20 19:56:13 (permalink)
Hey I enjoy commenting on people's Soundclick page but you don't allow it so I will post it here.

I see you say the vocal track is "scratch" so I guess I won't comment on that till you finish it and I really hope you do, really I do.  I like your voice very much.  Everyone voice is unique in my opinion and yours to me invokes very nice emotions and good feelings.  I like how your vocals is so clear from the music, that is something I actually need to work on very much.  Mixing is darn hard in my opinion and seems never perfect.  Can't wait to hear this song completed, please let me know when it is if I miss it somehow.  I will probably be more active on here now since I am back working on music.  Well done and good feelings!
Chappel
Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2300
Re:Dancing With Debbie - Rough Mix 2011/09/21 13:18:09 (permalink)
Thank you muchly for your kind words about my voice. It was a lot better 20 years ago but I try to do the best I can with what I've got. You should have heard that track before I used V-Vocal on it. My pitch on long notes was pretty inconsistent. I haven't done much singing in the last few years and it sure showed on that track. I evened out the pitches and manually added some vibrato here and there. I'd never used it before so it seemed like a good opportunity to work with it.

I'm working on another song now and will get back to Debbie when that's wrapped up.

I'm not really hip to the Soundclick options and wasn't aware that people could comment and it isn't enabled on my page. I will look into that ASAP.
Guitarhacker
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 24398
Re:Dancing With Debbie - Rough Mix 2011/09/21 13:26:59 (permalink)
pretty cool tune. Vox & guitar are good. 

The thing that impresses me is that you wrote this using PRV for "everything else"  I can't even begin to imagine that much work.  I have heard a few people through the years that have done it that way, and yeah..... impressive. 

At 8 minutes it's pretty long.... more like the "album cuts" back in the day. 

I'd personally choose a different bass patch. It sounds too synthy to me.   The bass part itself is really well done. 

nice work!

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
Chappel
Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2300
Re:Dancing With Debbie - Rough Mix 2011/09/23 16:46:09 (permalink)
Thanks, Guitarhacker, glad you liked it. I may end up trimming a bit off the end of the tune. There was a little bass bit I wanted in there but now that I have listened to it again I think the disadvantage of the added length outweighs the advantage of keeping it in.

For sure it's quite a project putting something like this together in the PRV. It is for me, anyway. That's probably why I need a long break from it. I have listened to it so many times while working on it that I'm sick of it. ;-)

I think I added some synth bass to the other bass patches. It's hard to find one patch that can cover the large range of the bass part. Bass patches that sound great on the low notes often sound terrible a couple of octaves up.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1