Danny Danzi - "Countdown to Insanity" *Metal* (CHB Cover)

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 3 of 5
Author
57Gregy
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14404
Re:Danny Danzi - "Countdown to Insanity" *Metal* (CHB Cover) 2011/12/05 23:07:14 (permalink)
Who is the CHB? They must be famous if someone's doing a cover of one of their tunes.

Really, this is great! I like it!

Greg 
I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
FastBikerBoy
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 11326
Re:Danny Danzi - "Countdown to Insanity" *Metal* (CHB Cover) 2011/12/06 03:18:21 (permalink)
Danny, listening to productions such as this depresses me........

It makes me realise how far I have to go both in terms of production and playing.

I thought it was excellent, I can totally hear Ozzy singing this.
post edited by FastBikerBoy - 2011/12/06 05:59:37
Bob Oister
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2766
Re:Danny Danzi - "Countdown to Insanity" *Metal* (CHB Cover) 2011/12/06 04:28:09 (permalink)
Hey, Danny,

This is absolutely dynamite!  Monster tone, killer solos, great vocals and a clean, pro sounding mix.

I really love the melodic break around the halfway point before the first shred solo, perfect lead-in to the solo and the cool slow down effect.

Very tasty stuff, buddy, nice work! 
Bob

Danny Danzi
  • Total Posts : 5810
Re:Danny Danzi - "Countdown to Insanity" *Metal* (CHB Cover) 2011/12/06 04:29:55 (permalink)
Greg: ah you know...those guys that wreak havoc in the coffee house when they aren't churning out killer tunes. :) Glad you liked it, thanks a lot. :)

FBB: Aww man, I'm here for you if you ever need an extra set of ears on your stuff or some pointers. (that goes for anyone else as well...but you guys know that) I'd help ya out if you ever had any questions or need me for anything...and you do a fine job from what I've heard so don't ever be depressed brother. :) I know it was just a figure of speech...but you're better than you think you are, trust me. :) I also have a slight advantage where most people have advantages in other areas. Meaning...I'm sure you got a wife, kids, a life...I'd kill for that....me, I sit here and hump Sonar and my instruments all day. LOL! After doing it for 100 years, one day it actually sounds decent and resembles something musical for a change. Hahaha! But, no wife, no kids, I just take care of my dad and know nothing other than music...it's a good thing though...I'm content for now...but it's ALL I do man...every single day, 7 days a week. And just about once or twice per week, I'll sign on to a forum or onto Youtube and hear some 18 year old kid with better chops and production than me...ask how long he's been at it, he tells me 3 years and then I'm the one depressed...so I throw up, give him props and shut that browser down. LOL!!

Glad ya liked the tune...thanks a lot. Hit me up sometime if you're ever working on something and need my take...honest I'll help you if I can. :)

-Danny

My Site
Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
Danny Danzi
Re:Danny Danzi - "Countdown to Insanity" *Metal* (CHB Cover) 2011/12/06 04:31:41 (permalink)
Bob: Thanks a lot....glad you liked it...appreciate the listen. We should get together sometime and play/write man...I'm in NJ about an hour or so from you. I actually play up your way every once in a while with my cover band...we should definitely hook up at some point. Thanks again for the listen and kind words. :)

-Danny

My Site
Bob Oister
Re:Danny Danzi - "Countdown to Insanity" *Metal* (CHB Cover) 2011/12/06 04:59:41 (permalink)
Hey, Danny,

That would be really cool to get together and jam some time!  I'm actually about 2 1/2 hours from you.  Remember when I first joined the forum, you helped me out with some mix advice, and I asked you if Geets was still there?

I usually get down to South Jersey at least once a year during the summer, to either A.C. or Wildwood Crest.  Next time I'm passing through, my wife and I will gladly take you out to Geets to buy you a shrimp scampi dinner, for all of the great information and advice that you so generously provide around here on the forum! 

How far North does your VH cover band make it up this way?  I'd really love to catch you guys at a show some time.  It'd be great to get together!  You're a great guy and a monster player and performer, who's always willing to help out with excellent input.

Fantastic job on this killer rocker, have a good one, brother!
Bob

Danny Danzi
Re:Danny Danzi - "Countdown to Insanity" *Metal* (CHB Cover) 2011/12/06 10:15:45 (permalink)
Hi Bob, I do remember that conversation now! Hahaha ole Geets is still here to this day. They actually turned it into a night club in the back. Ah man it sure would be great to hang out...and nah man, dinner would be on me. :) But I thank you for that offer. We actually do a place called McStews in Levittown...yeah still probably 2 hours from you...we used to play a place in Wilkes-Barre (forget the name at the moment) but they stopped booking bands...and we used to play The Silo in Reading all the time. The guy that used to manage it is booking us into his new room in Reading...not sure when that will be or what it's called...my singer handles all that and talked to him last week. But if that happens...that may be closer for you? I'll send you a pm or something and you can see if it's do-able. We do the Levittown gig at least once a month though because they love us over there.

Thanks for the kind words man...feelings are mutual....thanks again for the props on the tune...talk to you soon Bob! :)

-Danny

My Site
Tap
Max Output Level: -30 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4536
Re:Danny Danzi - "Countdown to Insanity" *Metal* (CHB Cover) 2011/12/06 10:23:55 (permalink)
I'm really looking forward to hearing this ... I don't think I've had the opportunity to hear much of your work to date.   I'm glad I'm listening on my Event 20/20's .... Kick it out, this is really fine.... Very late 80's heavy rock.  Great mix. I have to turn it up ....  much better.... Killer guitar lead! Love it - Killer tone!!!! This song kicks it up just right. Awesome production! (love the double bass drums at the end .... Really well done )

MC4 - M-Audio FW410 / Behringer UCA202 - Fender Strat / Jazzmaster / DuoSonic / Washburn / Peavy Foundation M-Audio Radium 49 Roland Juno 106 / JazzChorus / Seymore Duncan Convertible - HP A1230N ( AMD Athalon 3800+ 2G Ram + 200G HD )

http://soundclick.com/cut2thechaise

timidi
Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5449
Re:Danny Danzi - "Countdown to Insanity" *Metal* (CHB Cover) 2011/12/06 11:38:54 (permalink)
uh oh..

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

Danny Danzi
Re:Danny Danzi - "Countdown to Insanity" *Metal* (CHB Cover) 2011/12/06 14:09:41 (permalink)
Tap: thanks for the kind words and the "as you listened" commentary! Hahaha that was great! Glad you liked it...thanks again.

timidi: almost 90's though...it's creepin' up! LOL :)

-Danny

My Site
Karyn
Ma-Ma
  • Total Posts : 9200
Re:Danny Danzi - "Countdown to Insanity" *Metal* (CHB Cover) 2011/12/06 19:01:08 (permalink)
LOL !!!!  

Mekashi Futo
Get 10% off all Waves plugins.
Current DAW.  i7-950, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, 12Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD, 2x2Tb HDD, nVidia GTX 260, Antec 1000W psu, Win7 64bit, Studio 192, Digimax FS, KRK RP8G2, Sonar Platinum

guitartrek
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2842
Re:Danny Danzi - "Countdown to Insanity" *Metal* (CHB Cover) 2011/12/06 19:36:09 (permalink)
Sorry for not chiming in on the whole "80's" discussion earlier - I was out of town, and the Sonar forum wouldn't let me log in with my iPad. 

I'm also one that gets labelled - 80's and sometimes 70's (ouch!).  But I just do what I like and if people dig it that's cool and if not that's cool too.  Danny - I think the stuff you do is really awesome.  If you ask me you've got elements from different genres done in a modern way, and blending different elements like that produces great results. 

When I was listening to this track the other day it kind of reminded me of Mr Big.  Remember them? - they were 90's taking rock elements done in a modern way. 

There are a lot of modern rock bands out there that take things from the 80's or 90's (Shinedown is a good example), and there are a lot of young people that are listening to that stuff.  My kids like this kind of rock - a lot of it is perpetuated by the next generation and parents turning their kids on to it.  It's no longer like when I was young, my parents listened to pre-rock stuff - and I thought their music was from a different planet.

Sorry to bring up the 80's thing again - but I had to chime in :)

Danny Danzi
Re:Danny Danzi - "Countdown to Insanity" *Metal* (CHB Cover) 2011/12/06 20:13:22 (permalink)
Karyn: I soo knew you'd crack up over that. :)

Geno: don't be sorry to bring it up. In this particular thread, the 80's discussion that unfolded here was one of the best ones I've ever been a part of. Karyn has been an excellent teacher in the way she's explained it on here and it's opened my eyes as well. Check it out....

You and I love the guitar tone we have, right? We were pretty much influenced by the 80's guys. No matter what we play when we use those tones we love....we're going to have a hint of the 80's in us. Unless we change our tones completely to what is considered modern today as well as some of our tehcniques...we're going to sound like us with an 80's vibe. Would you be happy with one of the newer tones and using less technique than you do? I wouldn't either...lol...so, see...we're happy with what we do...so it's always going to sound a bit 80's influenced.

Let's take a look at how we both sing. You and I come from the vocal school of "clean and dynamic".  We don't get that Chris Cornell, Scott Wyland, dude from Creed, Nickelback or Disturbed typed of sound. So right away, due to our cleaner vocal delivery and vibrato to match the tempo of the song...it's got an 80's vibe because a lot of the good singers we know and love from that time had that. Let's face it...the closest you or I could probably come to as far as more modern singing goes would be Layne from Alice in Chains (God rest his incredible singing soul) ya know what I mean? Listen to you sing Journey or your original stuff. Name one singer that is current today that sings like that. Name one other than maybe the singer from Dishwalla that sang close to that in the 90's? See what I mean? So when we do what we do...and you compare it to what it going on today...it's easy to spot in seconds "Danny and Geno definitely have that 80's thing going on". It doesn't mean we're bad...it doesn't mean we're dated...it just means we don't sound like what is considered "the in thing" of today.

A few listens to our guitar playing....and well, we're gonna get the label bro unless we go against everything we've trained ourselves to do over the years. Do you want a more raw tone that is a bit harsh and abrasive like the stuff we hear today? Do you really want a guitar onslaught of orchestrated guitars that engulf the stereo field so much that it's all you hear and your vocals suffer to where they can be heard but not felt like you do them now? Me personally...I'd not want that at all. Could we do it? Sure...but then we have to ask ourselves...."are we just trying to keep up with the times over being true to ourselves?"

I've always been a guy that has been against the word "Sell-out". I've gotten into so many confrontations online when I've seen those two words....I can't even begin to tell you. In my eyes...doing something for the sake of survival in this economy or radically changing is not selling out. Doing something you absolutely HATE for the sake of a paycheck, IS. I think people got it backwards. So if you and I changed what we did and hated every minute of it just so we could possibly get people to stop mentioning "80's" in our work....would it really make you happy? Me neither brother. Instead, what I like to at least consider myself doing is....playing to my strengths doing what I do best while attempting to deliver it in a more modern way.

We know not to use reverb loaded drums with that arena type sound. We know not to load up our guitars and vocals with long tails of verb...we know all the no no's that immediately make a recording sound 80's due to the production. However, if we are happy with how and what we play...and it happens to have an 80's flair...I sincerely don't see that as a bad thing. You know as well as I that one thing the 80's was good for...was being a guitar player. Sure, some of the stuff was over-kill and in bad taste...but we can say that about every genre, ya know? I'm proud to be able to play a few things and see the awesome compliments from others respecting what I can do. I know you feel the same way. The first thing we need to accept is....us man. Sometimes people are brutal when they bring up the 80's calling is "c-rock" or "hair metal" etc. I always hated hearing stuff like that because to me, it went further than that. But that said, I can't expect people to love it like I did or even take the incredible inspiration from it that I/we did, ya know?

At the end of the day man....you are one talented dude. No one can take that away from you no matter what they try to do. You sing like a God, you play like one, you write like one and you always deliver the goods and will be regarded as one of the best musicians on this forum. Whether it has a 70's, 80's or present vibe to it...there's no mistaking the dedication and passion you have put into your craft. At the end of the day, that's all any of us really wants. Just to be accpeted and or appreciated....and hopefully respected even if what we do isn't something others are down with.

I know for a fact that several that have commented on my song here...are not fans of metal. They didn't have to comment at all because of that...yet, they found it in their hearts to appreciate what I did here even if it wasn't a style they listen to often or enjoy. It would have been all too easy to say "well, this really isn't a style I listen to" but no one said that. It tells me true musicians spoke from their hearts and accepted something that is different than what they are normally into.

At any rate, thanks to Karyn and this discussion we had in this thread...it's changed how I think and how I feel. It's opened up things for me that I never really thought of. Let's face it and be honest about something. We may be 80's influenced or whatever the case....we both know it hasn't been easy for us to do what we do whether people like it or not. We spent a lot of time being polished. It doesn't make us the best or better than anyone else...just different with a different group of influences as well as our practice discipline. So it's all good brother...some of the best bands of all time came out of the 70's and 80's in my opinion. I'm happy to be influenced by that time and wouldn't want it any other way...would you? :)

-Danny

My Site
timidi
Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5449
Re:Danny Danzi - "Countdown to Insanity" *Metal* (CHB Cover) 2011/12/06 20:52:14 (permalink)
Well said Danny. And I must say, my kudos go out to the following on this tune:
Lyrics: Philz & bapu 
Inspiration and borrowed bridge part: Steve Strummer UK 
"Batman"- like rhythm part: inspired by ohGrant (written for another song) 
Vocal Inspiration: Philz 
Freaky synth lines performed by: Philz 

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

Scoobie
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 263
Re:Danny Danzi - "Countdown to Insanity" *Metal* (CHB Cover) 2011/12/06 20:58:55 (permalink)
This Kicks Butt........................ love the guitar riffs.

Really killer all the way around,  Fabulous mix.

Tim

Outback Remote Recording,  16 or 24 track mobile rig.
guitartrek
Re:Danny Danzi - "Countdown to Insanity" *Metal* (CHB Cover) 2011/12/06 21:19:24 (permalink)
Danny - Great take on all that.  You really have a way with words.  I guess there's no getting away from ourselves.  We should embrace it. 

It's a little tougher being in the U.S. because pop music changes so fast here.  It seems in Europe or other parts of the world people seem to get into all kinds of genres - 80's rock for sure.  And I've been to places like Italy or Republic of Georgia where younger people even hang out at the opera.  You really don't find the same thing here.  But the cool thing about the internet, and forums like this, is you can find an audience for just about any kind of style. 
Bob Oister
Re:Danny Danzi - "Countdown to Insanity" *Metal* (CHB Cover) 2011/12/06 21:28:07 (permalink)
quote: guitartrek: "I'm also one that gets labeled - 80's and sometimes 70's (ouch!). But I just do what I like and if people dig it that's cool and if not that's cool too."

Big +1 for me and my music, and I just kind of try to wear it as a badge of honor! I believe our early influences from our formative years always shine through and are always a big part of who we are.

quote: Danny Danzi: "You and I come from the vocal school of "clean and dynamic". We don't get that Chris Cornell, Scott Wyland, dude from Creed, Nickelback or Disturbed typed of sound. So right away, due to our cleaner vocal delivery and vibrato to match the tempo of the song...it's got an 80's vibe because a lot of the good singers we know and love from that time had that."

+1 count me in again.  You're preaching to the choir, buddy, in my cover bands, it actually used to drive me a little nuts to have to force myself into "modern deep, scratchy" vocal mode for a lot of the recent metal stuff, and I had to carefully plan out when to sing certain songs during the night to not blow my voice for the clean, higher stuff.  But, I think in the end, it made me more versatile singing wise, to be able to switch from different ranges and timbres and back again throughout the night for many years.

My whole goal for my original music when I joined this forum was to try to learn how to fuse together my favorite 80's hair metal style with the newer more modern production used on today's hard rock and metal.  Sort of like a smashup of Judas Priest, AC/DC and Dokken mixed and produced similarly to Disturbed, Godsmack and Papa Roach, Breaking Benjamin, etc.  I think that after learning a ton of stuff from many knowledgeable people on the forum, I'm finally having some luck squashing that general idea into something that falls in between both extremes.

Sorry, Danny, not trying to hijack your thread, but like Geno, I too, avoided the 80's discussion earlier, and just wanted to let you know that I agree wholeheartedly.  After first purchasing Sonar, the main reason I wandered down here to the Songs Forum was to try to adapt my songwriting and recording to the more modern hard rock/metal type of stuff, while keeping the root influences intact.

Thanks, Danny, Karyn, Tim and Geno, etc. for a very interesting, informative discussion that I've always wanted to post about in the Techniques forum.

Also, once again, dynamite song, Danny!
Bob
Danny Danzi
Re:Danny Danzi - "Countdown to Insanity" *Metal* (CHB Cover) 2011/12/07 02:30:15 (permalink)
Scoobie: Thanks for the listen and the kind words. I've listened to quite a few of your tunes as well. You post up the live stuff, right? There's like 6 people or so on the forum when I listen to their songs....right before I go to comment I get a freakin' phone call or a client comes back from a coffee break and I totally forget to go back and comment. My apologies for that....I promise to do a better job...but I have listened to your tunes and have always enjoyed the live atmosphere you put out. Thanks for checking out the song...much appreciated.

Geno: hahaha...it does make sense when ya think about it, doesn't it? Yeah you're right about the Euro thing...I woulda never got a deal or the chance to share my music without them....Japan too! But here in the US, it's just the way you tell it. There are a few select areas left that are still into the stuff we are though. :) Ah it's all about our personal satisfaction anyway, ya know? It's like...on a daily basis here, the other part of my business is writing songs with clients or producing songs with clients. The producing part is cool which of course has writing involved...but when I get a chance to write with them and actually perform, it makes it so much cooler. When you have to do something you may not be down with....it's much different than doing something you just enjoy while letting yourself out of the cage.

I do some work with a few people on the forum here. One of my buds gives me full creativity in helping with his songs. They are a different style than what I do...but because he allows me to be as involved as he is...it's a breath of fresh air just to collaborate with him. If he took that creativity away from me, I'd still treat things the same way...but I'd be lying to you if I said it would be as much fun and as rewarding. I have a partner I write with. We've done quite a bit of stuff for Rob Pincus on his TV series. Rob likes things modern and rockin'...so my partner starts most of those productions and I help produce and add parts later. The stuff I thought was cool, Rob would say "good idea there...but is sounds a lil 80's." LOL!!!!! So true on the forums thing...it's amazing how many people are still into stuff you may not think they're into. And for some of the younger folks...they didn't know some of this stuff existed so it's actually new to them when they are turned on to it. :)

Bob: no hi-jacking at all brother. I have no problems having a discussion or several discussions on a song thread of mine. As a matter of fact, I welcome it. If it brings all of us closer together and we talk like we would if we all sat down...that's what a forum is all about for me. I'm glad you chimed in too. Yeah, I think you're doing exactly what you said as far as how you've been producing your stuff. I mean, for me...because I just see things as "I like them" or "I don't" I never much ripped apart your style or anyone else's. I know you play and sing great and write catchy tunes. That's all I really need to recognize in MY realm. It's almost like saying "Well, anyone that plays fast with high gain and does it good with some sort of polished technique is 80's." The guys today don't play like that for the most part either because they can't, they choose not to or they just feel it is for the better of the song not to put that stuff in. I'm for all of the above. Whatever works in the song is fine. If a dude isn't much of a lead player....I'm perfectly happy with a great song that doesnt have a solo. If a dude CAN play though, and it fits the song....by all means crush my skull...you worked hard to play that way, smoke it if you got it, ya know? :)

I'm really glad you decided not to avoid the conversation. It really is good to talk about it and I have no problems using my thread to discuss it. I've really enjoyed all the talk to be honest and just love to see people sharing their views without being hostile or hurting others based on what they were inspired by. I love everything with music. I really do. The art part is what makes it so grand. If someone plays a fiddle like a maniac like our Scotty...by all means, let it shine. When it's time to be a support instrument...you make the right calls. If some of our forum guys sing like Dylan (who I have to say I'm not a fan of vocally speaking) so be it as "unique" is a part of our art. That's one of the great things I can say about doing the production work I do. It opens me up to stuff I would have never thought of listening to without it. And when you work on something long enough...even if it's not a style you love...it's amazing how it can grow on you and you find yourself borrowing from it. I was never much of a rap fan years ago. But seeing how it all goes down when you have a really great rap group in the studio can totally change that.

There are guys that just have this special something that hits just right. I'm sure you've heard tunes like that in all genre's. They may not be for us, but we can't deny the greatness in them. After all...to me, being a musician is accepting "all things music". It doesn't matter what form it comes in really. It's the universal language of expression whether it be 50's, 60, 70's 80's 90's or present. Thanks for the kind words Bob...glad ya jumped in here...much respect and admiration brother. :)

-Danny

My Site
Danny Danzi
Re:Danny Danzi - "Countdown to Insanity" *Metal* (CHB Cover) 2011/12/07 02:37:21 (permalink)
timidi

Well said Danny. And I must say, my kudos go out to the following on this tune:
Lyrics: Philz & bapu 
Inspiration and borrowed bridge part: Steve Strummer UK 
"Batman"- like rhythm part: inspired by ohGrant (written for another song) 
Vocal Inspiration: Philz 
Freaky synth lines performed by: Philz 

Thanks Tim...my thoughts exactly about the above ^. I know I sure wouldn't have been able to come up any of these melodies, the words or the inspiration without the aforementioned gentleman and I mean that sincerely from my heart. I've never come close to a song like this in all my years. It was a nice challenge for me and was totally different than anything I had ever done. I say "I" because without these guys...I can assure you it never would have sounded like this nor would I have ever thought about writing a piece like this on my own. That's the truth so help me God. :)

-Danny

My Site
guitartrek
Re:Danny Danzi - "Countdown to Insanity" *Metal* (CHB Cover) 2011/12/07 08:06:15 (permalink)
Bob Oister

+1 count me in again.  You're preaching to the choir, buddy, in my cover bands, it actually used to drive me a little nuts to have to force myself into "modern deep, scratchy" vocal mode for a lot of the recent metal stuff, and I had to carefully plan out when to sing certain songs during the night to not blow my voice for the clean, higher stuff.  But, I think in the end, it made me more versatile singing wise, to be able to switch from different ranges and timbres and back again throughout the night for many years.

My whole goal for my original music when I joined this forum was to try to learn how to fuse together my favorite 80's hair metal style with the newer more modern production used on today's hard rock and metal.  Sort of like a smashup of Judas Priest, AC/DC and Dokken mixed and produced similarly to Disturbed, Godsmack and Papa Roach, Breaking Benjamin, etc.  I think that after learning a ton of stuff from many knowledgeable people on the forum, I'm finally having some luck squashing that general idea into something that falls in between both extremes.

Bob - Me too - I actually have recorded stuff with a lot of vocal distortion and have been working on those techniques in a healthy way so it doesn't ruin my voice.  Of course doing this stuff in a healthy way takes a good solid foundation first which is what I'm working on. 

My goals in writing and recording are similar to yours - taking what I like, what is me, and fusing it with modern techniques and style.  My roots are prog rock and rock fusion, but I've always loved songs with great hooks - so I try to write stuff with hooks that anyone at any age can relate to.  I think if music is written and arranged well the style matters less.

At one extreme I'd even like to take a totally synth based / techno / hip hop style and fuse some screaming lead guitar work.  But working in that environment is so different for me that I would almost need to collaborate with someone thats good at that. 

Beagle
  • Total Posts : 50621
Re:Danny Danzi - "Countdown to Insanity" *Metal* (CHB Cover) 2011/12/07 19:01:59 (permalink)
excellent!  love it!  (but yeah, I'm a child of the '80's too! )

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
Danny Danzi
Re:Danny Danzi - "Countdown to Insanity" *Metal* (CHB Cover) 2011/12/07 23:18:47 (permalink)
Thanks Reece...I appreciate you taking the time to listen. :) Hahaha you too with the 80's thing? Awesome! :)

-Danny

My Site
Elepha3
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 189
Re:Danny Danzi - "Countdown to Insanity" *Metal* (CHB Cover) 2011/12/07 23:47:10 (permalink)
****in' awesome!!!

Jason

notnat
Max Output Level: -23 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5236
Re:Danny Danzi - "Countdown to Insanity" *Metal* (CHB Cover) 2011/12/08 00:01:17 (permalink)
Danny this really is fine work... very impressive... I'm sure you guys are all be very proud of this... outstanding... 
Danny Danzi
Re:Danny Danzi - "Countdown to Insanity" *Metal* (CHB Cover) 2011/12/08 01:42:32 (permalink)
Elepha3: Thanks for listening.

Frank: Thanks a lot. Actually, I wish they were proud. LOL! (I'm sure they are in a sense, but they know what I mean lol) They were proud of me for what I played and came up with as an individual as well as how I incorporated their ideas. They respected what I did as well as the performance etc. But it really wasn't a style they were down with once I changed it from the original version. It wasn't the same song any longer, the meaning of the words had changed and the commerciality I added in probably put another nail in my coffin. But they were kind enough to let me release this and I'm truly grateful for that. Phil and I had put a lot of work into it and then I just took it and went pretty drastic near the end. It's like they had this other song....and I wrote something else from the other song just to say "hey, what do you think of this as a possible alternative?" Any time that happens, it's tough to just "accept" the new thing when you have feelings for the original version. When you present something so different...sometimes your guys aren't going to feel the same way about it because the different tune just changes their mind/vibe, ya know?

In this case...I altered it so much it just wasn't a style/flavor they wanted to be a part of and I respect them for that. Kinda like how I bowed out from the original version due to the style not being for me and I just couldn't feel I could help enhance it...that's how they felt about this version I did. You know how it goes...sometimes inspiration for one is not the same inspiration for another or an entire group. I know Phil was totally stoked about this version though. Hopefully at some point the CHB will release their version which is really cool. It has a darker mood, is more musically stimulating...it takes you on a way different journey, and it's just different than this one. Most of all....they wrote the REAL one. Though I tried hard, some things are better left alone. :) I do appreciate them being great guys and allowing me to let people hear what I came up with though even if the tune wasn't totally to their liking. Thanks again, glad you enjoyed it. :) 

-Danny

My Site
mgh
  • Total Posts : 8594
Re:Danny Danzi - "Countdown to Insanity" *Metal* (CHB Cover) 2011/12/08 02:00:48 (permalink)
just my two-pennorth on this, i guess i am one inbetween your sound and the 'wall-of-sound' guitar types, on my next song (currently in the songwriting stage!) it'll be a lot of clean vocals, but with a definite shoegaze type sound (lotsa verb, pre-delay etc). i do like some of those in your face bands, Nevermore always seemed to get a really good guitar sound to me, it's that Colin Richardson/Andy Sneap production. whatever you do, it's about getting the mix right, which is certainly where you shine Danny, and where we're all striving! you and Bob would be a great collab!

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
Danny Danzi
Re:Danny Danzi - "Countdown to Insanity" *Metal* (CHB Cover) 2011/12/08 02:07:57 (permalink)
mgh: I hear ya...I like the wall of sound also, don't get me wrong...but you'll notice on the cleaner stuff...or when you have more of a vocal type approach...sometimes it can be a little over-kill. At least that's how it seems on my end for MY voice and how I sing, ya know? Like...I know you do the scream thing really well...but you also shwocased a pretty awesome vocal talent in your last tune. You'll notice that when you sing like that....you know, a bit more melodic and phrase-pretty so to speak (ok, pretty isn't the right word..lol..but you know what I mean) that the guitar onslaught thing definitely can make your mix harder to get a handle on. On the screamier things or the things that may be a little less dynamic or melodically phrased...the loads of guitars just seems to work better. For you, it may work better no matter what you do. I've made the layered guitar thing work for other people that had incredible vocals...but it just doesn't seem to work for me when I sing. LOL!

Yeah I too love the sound Nevermore gets. And you're right...it's definitely about the mix...but the other side of it is the instrumentation you choose to be in the mix, ya know? Thanks for the kind words brother. :)

-Danny
post edited by Danny Danzi - 2011/12/08 02:09:06

My Site
Rimshot
Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4625
Re:Danny Danzi - "Countdown to Insanity" *Metal* (CHB Cover) 2011/12/08 07:48:04 (permalink)
Hi Danny,

This production was great and I love your guitar work!  Your leads and arrangement is spot on.  You said when you listen to a song you either like it or don't.  Seems like on this forum we can state our feelings good or bad and then comment on details.  What you produced was so right.  I might have used a single voice for the verses and then the double in the chorus to hear the emotion better.  Snare drum seemed dry and might have used a little more bottom mic for some air and rattle maybe?  You did great and I can learn alot from your mixing style.

Rimshot

Rimshot 

Sonar Platinum 64 (Lifer), Studio One V3.5, Notion 6, Steinberg UR44, Zoom R24, Purrrfect Audio Pro Studio DAW (Case: Silent Mid Tower, Power Supply: 600w quiet, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz (8 threads), RAM: 16GB DDR3/1600 
, OS drive: 1TB HD, Audio drive: 1TB HD), Windows 10 x64 Anniversary, Equator D5 monitors, Faderport, FP8, Akai MPK261
Danny Danzi
Re:Danny Danzi - "Countdown to Insanity" *Metal* (CHB Cover) 2011/12/08 10:41:24 (permalink)
Rimshot

Hi Danny,

This production was great and I love your guitar work!  Your leads and arrangement is spot on.  You said when you listen to a song you either like it or don't.  Seems like on this forum we can state our feelings good or bad and then comment on details.  What you produced was so right.  I might have used a single voice for the verses and then the double in the chorus to hear the emotion better.  Snare drum seemed dry and might have used a little more bottom mic for some air and rattle maybe?  You did great and I can learn alot from your mixing style.

Rimshot

Hi Rimshot,

Thanks for the kind words and the listen. That actually is a single voice in the verses...lol...it's just effected with some pitch transposer stuff in attempt to make it a little more weird and trippy. It has a pitch transposer as well as Clone Ensemble so it sounds like it has more voices than there really is. I was actually trying to cop the sound that Phil had originally come up with when he sang on the original version.

As for the snare....that's just a personal preference of mine. I like a nice, poppy snare that cracks through and I find that a bit more bottom head can make it a bit too boxey and stop it from cracking through at all times. I did have a little more bottom on it in one of my mix versions...but it just seemed like it didn't crack through enough and was a bit too thick and dark for me for this particular song.

As for the dry part...I actually backed down the verb on the snare in fear of it sounding too 80's. LOL!!! My usual snare sound is a bit more wet than this but again...for this particular tune, I felt in places...less was more, ya know? Thanks very much for your critique and comments...noted on this end for next time. :)

-Danny

My Site
bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re:Danny Danzi - "Countdown to Insanity" *Metal* (CHB Cover) 2011/12/08 11:02:39 (permalink)
Danny Danzi

Hopefully at some point the CHB will release their version which is really cool. It has a darker mood, is more musically stimulating...it takes you on a way different journey, and it's just different than this one. 

-Danny

It's on it's way to being completed. Hopefully next week in a Songs Forum near you.
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 3 of 5
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1