Danny Danzi - "Countdown to Insanity" *Metal* (CHB Cover)

Page: 12345 > Showing page 1 of 5
Author
Danny Danzi
  • Total Posts : 5810
2011/12/03 02:29:58 (permalink)

Danny Danzi - "Countdown to Insanity" *Metal* (CHB Cover)

Hi guys,

Pretty cool tune here that is quite different for me which is why I felt the need to share it. A bit of a story behind the tune that I'd like to share first. :) Steve Strummer comes up with a riff and the title for this tune. Bapu and Philz wrote all the words. A rough draft is presented to the band....we're not quite feeling it, yet we knew it had potential. We were lacking a chorus in my opinion, so I came up with one...altered the words a little but bapu wasn't down with either of my suggestions. This reworking goes on for months and the tune had been around before I had joined the band.

They rework a few other things and the majority of the writers are on board. Jonbuoy, Grant and Alex were tied up with other things so they couldn't help us on this tune. I at this point, am still not down with it so I elect to just watch from the sidelines and advise on the mix etc. Phil decides to work on this tune all by himself and comes up with killer ideas...yet, I still just wasn't feeling them in the format in which they were presented. He asks me several times to get involved. I warn him that I'll wind up changing everything and I'll get fired from the band. LOL!

I present "my vision" to the band, which is a completely different idea yet still had *some* of the original vibe of the song. They liked it, but felt it wasn't a style that they were down with. At this point, I had started creating little drafts of each section of the song. I've never recorded "in sections" like this before, didn't go all out, so I wasn't really down with the production aspect...but who cares, it was just for a draft for band ears only, right? No need to go crazy on it...just share the draft.

Well, when it was pretty much decided that my version was not right for the band, I asked them if I could complete my vision because for me....this was something special and totally different than anything I had ever done before. I was going for an Ozzy type vibe with a familiar sound/hook, yet with a modern attack. (I think if Ozzy sang on this instead of me, it would be incredible! Sorry for the bad singing) So from there, I get the blessings of the guys and here we are. I tried my best to make this work even though it's not really recorded the way I'd really do it. You know sometimes you just capture a feel with something? That's what I got out of this and felt it would be a shame not to share it. I really hope you guys enjoy it...I sure did have a blast on it. :) So without any further rambling from my wordy self.....I present...

"Countdown to Inasanity" (D.Danzi, Philz, bapu, Steve Strummer UK)

Lyrics: Philz & bapu
Inspiration and borrowed bridge part: Steve Strummer UK
"Batman"- like rhythm part: inspired by ohGrant (written for another song)
Vocal Inspiration: Philz
Freaky synth lines performed by: Philz
All Vocals, V-Drums, guitars, bass, acoustic guitars, strings, piano, lead guitars and sound effects: Danny Danzi
Recorded, arranged, re-written, mixed and masterered in Sonar X1 by: Danny Danzi

Special thanks to the CHB for their understanding, for allowing me to ruin their original version with this one, and for letting me post this version. I love you guys....thanks for everything. :)

-Danny

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4909348/Countdown_To_Insanity_DZL_Master.mp3

Verse 1

Something’s going on inside of my brain
From moment to moment I don’t feel the same
I can’t seem to find
Where I left my mind
Everything has changed
They say that I'm deranged

Pre 1 

Life is just getting scarier
I'm crossing over the barrier
I'm in an unchartered area
Give me that needle I'm daring ya'

Verse 2

As a child I was precocious
Then they said I had a neurosis
They tried everything even hypnosis
Now they're saying it's a major psychosis

Pre 2

Time is slowing down, almost to a crawl
I'm scared like a child who got lost in the mall
Feeling like just another brick in the wall
Am I somewhere or nowhere at all?

Going to visit Alice down the rabbit hole

Chorus

Is this my countdown to insanity
Where I lose pride and MY vanity
Everything is unraveling
On my countdown to insanity

Bridge

Someone wake me up tell me I'm dreaming
I hear doors slam and I hear people screaming
The nurses chained me up on a sofa
They turned on the TV and made me watch Oprah
Then they all laughed as they gave me injections
Said I just needed some time for reflection
Please Doctor please…
Help me… Help me please… Help me.....help me please......HELP ME......HELP ME PLEASE (nearly passed out doing this...sheesh!)

Solo (ah, the Dr. helped me!)

Pre 2

Chorus x2

Outro

10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3

2, 1

post edited by Danny Danzi - 2011/12/04 12:33:32

My Site
Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester

138 Replies Related Threads

Vallhagen
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 405
    Re:Danny Danzi - "Countdown to Insanity" *Metal* (CHB Cover) 2011/12/03 03:23:17 (permalink)
    Absolutely brilliant guitar work. Cool zack wyldish riffing, and great lead.

Great song, great chorus!

Trad metal at its best.

Damm, this one made me smile. and dance. and headbang. ten thumbs up. Mr Danzi, im a fan!
    jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    Re:Danny Danzi - "Countdown to Insanity" *Metal* (CHB Cover) 2011/12/03 07:03:08 (permalink)
    Adsolutely love everything about this.

The section with the lead is just terrific.

Your axe skills make me jealous.

The verse melody does sound CHB-ish.

What is your setup onthe rhythm guitars?  
    guitartrek
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    Re:Danny Danzi - "Countdown to Insanity" *Metal* (CHB Cover) 2011/12/03 08:44:47 (permalink)
    Fantastic world class production.  The mix is, of course, as good as it gets.  The lyrics are really cool- great humor in there - very clever writing!  Vocals are top notch - I like the different effects on the voice and the vocal distortion / screams you are using here and there.  And the guitar works is incredible as it is on everything you do.  I like those "flight of the bumblebee" riffs toward the end.  Your technique is mind boggling to say the least.  The rhythm guitar is so smooth and clear - sounds like an "on-axis" mic placement?  And it's got a nice amount of reverb or whatever - maybe a little delay?  Is that nice ambience on the rhythm guitar coming from your "guitar room" buss?  It is so big, yet not overpowering at all.  Thanks for putting this up on the forum.

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Danny Danzi - "Countdown to Insanity" *Metal* (CHB Cover) 2011/12/03 08:59:20 (permalink)
    rocking.... ! 

I like it... nice chops. 

I let it play while I browsed some other threads..... nice solo.... very sweet. 

some creative stuff in there like the shutdown...... 

yeah I'd say a big thumbs up all the way around. 
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2011/12/03 09:04:36

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    ProjectM
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3941
    Re:Danny Danzi - "Countdown to Insanity" *Metal* (CHB Cover) 2011/12/03 09:29:37 (permalink)
    Wow! This was great! Sounding awesome and great playing!

(Sonar Platinum - Win10 x64) - iMac and 13" MacBook - Logic Pro X ++ - UA Apollo Twin DUO - NI Maschine MKII - NI Komplete Kontrol S61 - Novation Nocturne - KRK Rokit 6
    Soundcloud
    Negative Vibe Records
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re:Danny Danzi - "Countdown to Insanity" *Metal* (CHB Cover) 2011/12/03 09:44:13 (permalink)
    Hi Danny,

You're quite good aren't you?

Not a thing out of place here, just perfect. Amazing stuff, loved it.

All the guitar work is wonderful, but that Satriani -esque breakdown section and the break to follow was particularly sublime...and then that slow down effect...wow.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    rscain
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 784
    Re:Danny Danzi - "Countdown to Insanity" *Metal* (CHB Cover) 2011/12/03 10:39:06 (permalink)
    Geez Danny, every time I hear you play I feel like I should have become a bricklayer or something.....
    Outstanding tunage hear, guitar work is as always spectacular, you're singing is quite good, IMHO, although, yeah, I could easily hear Ozzie singing this.
    Great arrangement and recording, +1 on the slowdown after the solo, great effect.
    Really enjoyed this, thanks for sharing it.

My Tunes On SoundClick  

AMD FX9350 @4 gHz, 16 gb ram, 240 gb SSD, 2 1Tb SS/Hybrid HDs, 1 Tb Fantom External HD, Windows 10 64 bit, Sonar Platinum 64 bit, Studio One 4 Pro, Harrison Mixbus, Izotope Neutron 2 Advanced and Ozone 8 Advanced, ARC 2, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate, TC-Helicon VoiceLive 3, Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP, Focusrite Octopre MkII, KRK Rokit 8 monitors, Sennheiser HD 280 pro headphones, MidiMan Oxygen 8, Behringer X-Touch, guitars and stuff 
    Venus
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 496
    Re:Danny Danzi - "Countdown to Insanity" *Metal* (CHB Cover) 2011/12/03 10:50:44 (permalink)
    i like all the imagery of the lyrics. very cool song. reminds me of "alice in chains." bridge was really good change from the progression.

Yes, I'm back ...with minions. Luv, D

Collabs are here:
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=1208769 
    Past solo recordings (my mixes) are here:
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=918473 
    The future is on YouTube:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMZqTJNpfZuGy7k62nVJ4eA

timidi
    Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5449
    Re:Danny Danzi - "Countdown to Insanity" *Metal* (CHB Cover) 2011/12/03 10:52:15 (permalink)
    OUCH... damn
    holy mackerel andy
    serious stuff Danny.
    great work.

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

PGShadow
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 169
    Re:Danny Danzi - "Countdown to Insanity" *Metal* (CHB Cover) 2011/12/03 11:35:26 (permalink)
     \m/ ( >_< ) \m/
    Ya, what everyone else said X10! Great production! Thought the crazy circus guitar at the end was a fitting touch.
    Mad skills all around guys. I'm on my 4th listen.
    post edited by PGShadow - 2011/12/03 11:38:10

Gateway FX/intel i7-860/ 8gig DDR3/ 1TB Drive/Win7-64/ Sonar 8.5Pro/X1Pro/X2Pro w/QF308/Tascam US-1641/Yamaha HS-50 Monitor's & HS-10sub/ Digitech GnX3 guitar processor/ Digitech BP100 Bass processor/ART DSP II preamp/ MXL 770 &990/ Yamaha RM50 Drum Brain,Custom Mesh head Kit/ rack "O" toyz......And ONE BIG VIsa bill
    PGShadow
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 169
    Re:Danny Danzi - "Countdown to Insanity" *Metal* (CHB Cover) 2011/12/03 11:50:42 (permalink)
    Damn dude, just when I thought I had a mix good enough to post too...I think I gotta go back and re-examine my mix. LOL
    Peace

Gateway FX/intel i7-860/ 8gig DDR3/ 1TB Drive/Win7-64/ Sonar 8.5Pro/X1Pro/X2Pro w/QF308/Tascam US-1641/Yamaha HS-50 Monitor's & HS-10sub/ Digitech GnX3 guitar processor/ Digitech BP100 Bass processor/ART DSP II preamp/ MXL 770 &990/ Yamaha RM50 Drum Brain,Custom Mesh head Kit/ rack "O" toyz......And ONE BIG VIsa bill
    markno999
    Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1450
    Re:Danny Danzi - "Countdown to Insanity" *Metal* (CHB Cover) 2011/12/03 14:00:55 (permalink)
    Quite amazing from every aspect, production, performance, mix.  Really good.....so I don't think you have to worry about getting fired from the band;)    You really make it sound too easy, however, we all know it's not.....  Great work.
    Karyn
    Ma-Ma
    • Total Posts : 9200
    Re:Danny Danzi - "Countdown to Insanity" *Metal* (CHB Cover) 2011/12/03 14:51:32 (permalink)
    Wow

So '80s

So Greatl

Love it

Mekashi Futo
    Get 10% off all Waves plugins.
    Current DAW.  i7-950, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, 12Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD, 2x2Tb HDD, nVidia GTX 260, Antec 1000W psu, Win7 64bit, Studio 192, Digimax FS, KRK RP8G2, Sonar Platinum

Scottytunes
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5695
    Re:Danny Danzi - "Countdown to Insanity" *Metal* (CHB Cover) 2011/12/03 16:56:25 (permalink)
    Nothing I can add that hasn't already been said.

String Jammer
    Danny Danzi
    Re:Danny Danzi - "Countdown to Insanity" *Metal* (CHB Cover) 2011/12/03 18:10:09 (permalink)
    Thank you all for the listens and kind words. :)

Vallhagen: Thanks a lot...I'm glad you enjoyed it. I've listened to your stuff too and think it's top notch in production and song structure/quality. I'll comment in your thread as well I promise. Thanks!

James: I was actually afraid to read what you might have said when I saw your name pop up. LOL! I know you're not an easy sell on anything and you are picky like I am. Thanks so much for your kind words....I really appreciate them. As for the rhythm/lead guitars, I use a Digitech 2101 tube pre-amp. Sometimes I mic it with a 57 and a 421, other times I go out of it via XLR into my console using the built in speaker sim in the 2101...which is what I did on this recording. There's not much difference believe it or not due to how I have my speaker sim, impulses and "room within a room" stuff set up. But I DO like the mic'd sound for certain things. It's just a little different, but not much at all. I get a bit more "goirth" to it as I say here in NJ. :) But the core of the tone remains. Really glad you liked this...thanks again...and thanks for the guitar props. :)

Geno: Thanks brother!!! Funny how this mix turned out...but that's why I went with it. I just really was trying to show the band my idea with fair production at first...but in its "fair" state, it just had that little something that I had a feeling I would have lost if I would have redone it the way I normally record. Yeah I dig the lyrics too...I so wish I wrote them. Ed and Phil have a knack for brilliance in writing words. Though I always tend to commercialize what they do, I personally feel we make a good little team even though I know those guys prefer things a little less on the poppy side with more of a darker vibe. Yeah this was my first attempt at vocal distortion as well as all the assorted effects going on there. I normally don't use stuff like that...but was really trying to go for something weird/eerie and a bit abstract. Actually the guitar was direct. It has the up front sound, yet breathes to where it has some ambience in the tone...not just the room it's in. And yes, that sound comes from my "guitar buss" technique I showed you in the past. There are no delays on the rhythm guitars. Just the room within a room trick, the guitar bus impulse/compression squash on the room and a UAD bus compressor on the main guitar bus. There are 4 rhythm guitars. 2 just dry with a slight carpeted room sound panned wider, 2 with the carpeted room sound with a chorus on them panned tigher. Thanks for the kind words bro..much appreciated. :)

Herb: Thanks for the kind words and the listen. The slow-down thing was actually harder to pull off than I thought it would be. I had some major editing that needed to be done within the song to make that work first because the actual slow-down had to be included after the song was mixed-down. Mess with it a bit...it doesn't work, back to the drawing board in the mix to edit some stuff...export, try it again...no go, back to the mix. It's still not as tight as I would like it to be, but for me to get it where I feel it should be, I'd have to rework that entire section there as well as when it comes back in. But it works for the most part. Glad you liked it...thanks man!

ProjectM: Thanks a lot...glad you enjoyed it, Thanks for the playing props. :)

James1213: Aww thanks man. I try. Honest and I mean this...I'm just a guy that hacks at things until I get them right or close to right. Sometimes I get lucky, sometimes I fail miserably. I'm brutal on myself to the point of depression at times and never really considered myself "good" at anything. I think I can pull things off fair for the most part, but I always strive to be as good as I can be. Easier said than done though. I'm glad you liked the tune and the solo section. I beat myself up over that for the longest time thinking of changing it. Like it was too abrupt or something. Then I figured..."just stop it and move on...so it's a bit abrupt and may not fit too well....it's just different." Thanks bro. :)

rscain: Thanks a lot! You know...I laid a little brick in my time...stick to playing guitar...it's way easier! I don't know what killed me more...brick/block work or roofing/hot roofing...they both suck equally. LOL! Glad you liked it and thanks for the voice/guitar props. If I had a connection to Ozzy, I sure would love to send him this. I really think it would suit him perfectly. My pop voice is my downfall for stuff like this...but it was so different for me, it was worth the try. I kinda sing a bit like Geno (guitartrek) but not as good, not as high and not as clean...but I have more of that type of sound when I sing on my normal stuff. Glad you liked it, thanks so much!

Venus: Thanks for the kind words. Love your stuff as well. Listened to quite a few of your songs after checking out MEGABOMB....really great stuff and you have an awesome voice. Thanks again.

Tim: Thanks brother..much appreciated. Glad ya liked it!

PGShadow: Thank you for the kind words. Hahaha...you're the only person that's mentioned the circus thing. All my buds that I let hear it...none of them picked up on it. LOL! I thought that was a fun little thing to add in there. And please post your mix...I'd love to hear it and would give you a few pointers if you wanted me to. Thanks! :)

markno: Thanks a lot brother...glad you enjoyed it. Yeah it's definitely not easy...I know you know that all too well. I still got callouses on my hands from playing the drums to this over and over and over. I must have played them and replayed them 30 times in one day only to say "I hate it...try again tomorrow." Most of the other stuff (thank God) was pretty easy though as far as the playing. There's nothing too crazy in the chord changes...pretty straight forward on the bass and rhythms...lead was a bit challenging...but I got it after like 400 takes I think. LOL!!! Thanks again!

Karyn: Thanks for the listen...glad you enjoyed it. Uggh....80's...bapu said the same thing. I tried so hard to not be as 80's sounding on this. I really did. I felt this was so different for me if you've ever heard my stuff. I'm definitely an 80's man both lyrically and the way I write and go about my production...but darn it...lol....I tried so hard not to do that this time. I guess no matter how hard I try, I can't run or escape from my roots. I have really been doing my best to alter that a bit. I know any guitar solo type stuff is definitely going to have that effect. I've even not included solo's in some of my newer stuff when I didn't feel there was a need. But this one...I just felt a nice solo would be a nice touch because the CHB always has an awesome solo attack in their tunes. I even stayed away from high stacked harmonies on this and only did a few lower ones. I usually do 3 and 4 part harmonies, whisper tracks, the whole 9 yards. I made sure not to do that and only ran 3 vocals on this. A lead vocal, a low and one middle and then I put effects on with a low pitch transposer as well as Clone Ensemble using the newer version with the vocal "sexes" option. I'm glad you liked it though...thanks again for the listen. I'll try even harder next time to lose the 80's vibe...darn it's so hard though.

Scotty: Thanks for the listen! :)

-Danny
    post edited by Danny Danzi - 2011/12/03 18:15:31

My Site
    Karyn
    Ma-Ma
    Re:Danny Danzi - "Countdown to Insanity" *Metal* (CHB Cover) 2011/12/03 19:37:04 (permalink)
    Danny Danzi

Karyn: Thanks for the listen...glad you enjoyed it. Uggh....80's...bapu said the same thing. I tried so hard to not be as 80's sounding on this. I really did. I felt this was so different for me if you've ever heard my stuff. I'm definitely an 80's man both lyrically and the way I write and go about my production...but darn it...lol....I tried so hard not to do that this time. I guess no matter how hard I try, I can't run or escape from my roots. I have really been doing my best to alter that a bit. I know any guitar solo type stuff is definitely going to have that effect. I've even not included solo's in some of my newer stuff when I didn't feel there was a need. But this one...I just felt a nice solo would be a nice touch because the CHB always has an awesome solo attack in their tunes. I even stayed away from high stacked harmonies on this and only did a few lower ones. I usually do 3 and 4 part harmonies, whisper tracks, the whole 9 yards. I made sure not to do that and only ran 3 vocals on this. A lead vocal, a low and one middle and then I put effects on with a low pitch transposer as well as Clone Ensemble using the newer version with the vocal "sexes" option. I'm glad you liked it though...thanks again for the listen. I'll try even harder next time to lose the 80's vibe...darn it's so hard though.

-Danny
    That's a bit like Bob Dylan trying not to sound like Bob Dylan..  Whatever he does he'll always be Bob Dylan..

Mekashi Futo
    Current DAW.  i7-950, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, 12Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD, 2x2Tb HDD, nVidia GTX 260, Antec 1000W psu, Win7 64bit, Studio 192, Digimax FS, KRK RP8G2, Sonar Platinum

timidi
    Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5449
    Re:Danny Danzi - "Countdown to Insanity" *Metal* (CHB Cover) 2011/12/03 21:07:12 (permalink)
    Ya know, I really hate when my stuff is pegged as "80's". I still can't quite put a handle on what "That" IS.
    It's a BIG dilemma with me.
    Sorry, just sayin...
    I wish I could type like you Danny.....

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

gcolbert
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1176
    Re:Danny Danzi - "Countdown to Insanity" *Metal* (CHB Cover) 2011/12/03 21:27:42 (permalink)
    Great job on this Danny - And the background was interesting as well.  Thanks for sharing.

Glen
    Karyn
    Ma-Ma
    Re:Danny Danzi - "Countdown to Insanity" *Metal* (CHB Cover) 2011/12/03 22:04:31 (permalink)
    Let me get this straight.  Saying it sounds '80s was not meant as an insult.  It's simply a difinitive style that is easily recognised when heard. Doesn't make it bad.

Danny,  baring in mind your CV and talent I hesitate to offer advice, however....

You said in your reply to me that you made a distinct effort to leave out things that you thought made it "sound '80s".  My oppinion is that you went about it the wrong way.  When you take stuff away you're still left with the core sound, and it's that which defines what the track sounds like.

To change you need to work towards a new style rather than working away from the old one.  Pick a style that is way more extreem than you intend and add in elements of that into what you're currently doing. Replace elements with new rather than just omit them.

The guitar sounds you're using on this track are awsome. Can't fault them in any way. But that doesn't make them the right sounds if you're trying to get away from that '80s commercial polished rock feel.   Dirty up the rythm sound. You have some wicked drum beats in there, match the guitars to them with heavier "chuggy" 2 or 3 string palm muted mayhem.   The lead is too "clinical". Perfectly played, but the tone is almost synth like in its purity.   The playing isn't the issue but the sound.  Think in terms of the difference between (say) Steve Vai and Angus Young...

Just a few thoughts from an engineer/producer pov.

Mekashi Futo

Janet
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:Danny Danzi - "Countdown to Insanity" *Metal* (CHB Cover) 2011/12/03 22:54:46 (permalink)
    Not too bad for a beginner.....

Just kidding...this is just amazing, Danny!  Everything about it...guitar, vocals, drums, bass, mix, etc., etc.   And yes, it makes me want to just quit even trying too! lol  Thanks for sharing this...wonderful!  
    BIABDude
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 676
    Re:Danny Danzi - "Countdown to Insanity" *Metal* (CHB Cover) 2011/12/03 23:37:04 (permalink)
    + + + + +  1
    Guitarpima
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4125
    Re:Danny Danzi - "Countdown to Insanity" *Metal* (CHB Cover) 2011/12/04 01:20:42 (permalink)
    Really nice Danny!

When you say "I don't want to sound to 80s" or whatever your words were, why not? Why try to be something your not? When I hear you play, I don't hear Zack Wylde. I hear more or Jake E. Lee mixed with an Alice in Chains vibe. Your still your own player but to me, that's the best description. Besides, Zack Wylde is a monster player but to me, I never got him. Jake has that vibe where he's a monster player but he's also inspiring. You have it too.

I love the song. The thing that I would have done different is a the section like :55. I would have made the bass move more. It sounds like an A chord to start. Play the a like you are but pick up to the next chord. On the and of 3, play f# (or f, I didn't listen that close), g, a then to the next chord B. The pick up to each chord of that section. IMO, it would be what Bob Dailsy (did I spell his name right?) would have done. I would have done it. It goes back to the days in high school learning to play bass by reading jazz charts. It still works the way it is but may work better as I described to build that section even more.

I can't comment on the mix because it's just awesome and I learned a lot of what I know with your help.

Very cool tune! Totally going on my iPhone. Let me know if you change the bass line, I'll update it.

Notation, the original DAW. Everything else is just rote. We are who we are and no more than another. Humans, you people are crazy.

Win 7 x64  X2  Intel DX58SO, Intel i7 920 2.66ghz 12gb DDR3  ASUS ATI EAH5750  650w PSU 4x WD HDs 320gb  DVD, DVD RW Eleven Rack, KRK Rokit 8s and 10s sub
    rhynosynth
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 520
    Re:Danny Danzi - "Countdown to Insanity" *Metal* (CHB Cover) 2011/12/04 02:32:55 (permalink)
    Hi Danny. This is Great. Guitars sound fantastic. There are hints of lynch, Lee but I think you've got your own flavor as well. The cool thing I've noticed with you on this, other stuff out here and your songs on youtube is that the song always comes first but you always manage to get the guitar guy stuff in as part of it. Really makes for an all round killer tune. Hats off to Philz, Bapu and Steve as well. It has an 80's feel, which I love, but there is a still a nice amalgamation of eras here. Philz keyboard parts are super, fit the tune perfect and really add to that amalgamation. Very enjoyable listen.
    Danny Danzi
    Re:Danny Danzi - "Countdown to Insanity" *Metal* (CHB Cover) 2011/12/04 03:56:11 (permalink)
    Hi Karyn,

Yeah if only I had that unique thing Dylan has. Hahaha! Oh no, make no mistake....I honestly was not insulted with the 80's thing. Just a little let-down because I really tried not to be as obvious. I'm sorry if you thought that I was offended. I re-read my post and didn't see anything there that would make you think that. It was just a personal thing for me....so you just kinda smacked me down a bit from what I was hoping I had achieved. LOL! But Ed said it too...which is why he wasn't too crazy about my version.

And please don't hesitate to offer advice. Sometimes we get too close to our babies and it's a breath of fresh air to get someone else's take if the crit is valid and professionally delivered...which you did here and I thank you for that. I actually didn't want to lose the commercial feel...that was done purposely. But what I don't understand is how when something is a bit commercial, right away it's "80's" to quite a few people? I like hooks...if hooks are 80's, I guess your right...my core is what it is. I purposely didn't sing in my high voice and use the Steve Perry-like vibrato...didn't layer loads of backups or anything and tried to maintain a hook in the rock realm. I dig the guitar tones...and they are plenty dirty...more dirt than I ever used in any of my tunes, that's for sure with way less compression. It's a clean dirty though...more sustain than grit. I can't handle "grit" sounds...they just annoy me with harshness. The lead is meant to sound clean and liquidy...sort of synthy and is along the lines of what Vai would do minus his cut mids. I'm not trying to justify anything Karyn, I guess I'm just having a hard time understanding how a rock song with a few hooks that doesn't sound like anything Poison, Great White or Whitesnake would do...is 80's. Is Ozzy considered modern today by chance or is he still considered 80's? I was sort of going for that flavor.

I'm just confused really. When I listen to a song, I listen to the song...is it good, is it bad, does it work...is the mix good...I never classifiy anything other than "good or bad" because I sincerely like to enjoy the tune for what it is rather than putting a label on it. I've always hated labels of any kind. A song is good or it isn't to me. That's not to say I'm right. LOL! I'm not disagreeing with you at all or trying to defend myself...honest. Just trying to understand. I just do what I do...if that's 80's, I guess I'm 80's. But I can say I've never heard any of my 80's bands have anything like this. You can hear hints of it in my playing sure....I grew up listening to 80's guitarists...so that's going to happen. However, I considered this "something fresh with a familiar sound." But that's just me.

Isn't heavy palm muting 80's? I tried to stay away from that too and let the chords ring out a little more instead of the hard palm muting I usually do. Too clinical on the lead....is it not ok to show a little technique as long as the melody is there? Are we allowed to flaunt any chops at all? It's not like it's going on the radio...can't we have freedom of creativity in a solo if we feel the need and it's "played perfectly" like you had mentioned? (which I thank you for saying) I tried to paint a nice melodic picture in the start of it...and popped my cork later on. "Clinical" to me is John Petrucci from Dream Theater or Yngwie Malmsteen. I'm just so lost and am trying to understand where you're coming from as well as take your advice. But I guess I just need to accept I'm 80's and I am what I am no matter how I attempt to change or alter something unless I go to the extreme which will be things I know I do not like. :) I get it...it's my tone...I dig the tone though...so until I can change/alter that as well as how I play, it will be 80's. I think I can live with that quite honestly. If anything...you've made me realize I need to accept me. Some will like what I do, some won't. That's pretty much luck of the draw with anything though. Thanks for the words, the advice and the chat. I'm honestly not offended at all...a bit confused on some stuff, but not close to being offended. I'm glad you said what you said...thank you for everything. :)

-Danny
    post edited by Danny Danzi - 2011/12/04 08:01:08

My Site
    Danny Danzi
    Re:Danny Danzi - "Countdown to Insanity" *Metal* (CHB Cover) 2011/12/04 04:13:14 (permalink)
    timidi: I don't really mind the 80's thing when I know I'm doing it. LOL!! That's to be expected. I just thought this had a bit of a twist and didn't blatantly scream 80's like my other stuff. LOL! :)

Glen: thanks for the kind words and for listening....much appreciated. :)

Janet: LOL!!! I'll git you for that! I'm glad you liked it...thanks. I still have to send you something all pretty one of these days. Glad you liked this though...thanks a lot. :)

Serious Noise: That's fine...no offense taken. It's just an mp3 that is on my dropbox server. Everyone else here has downloaded it and their comupters didn't catch a virus. I don't like Soundcloud...the quality is not very good to my ears on some things. You don't like to download....go to Soundcloud and then open up your temporary internet folder. All the tunes you listened to are stored there in mp3 format. You ARE downloading. But that's fine...I accept your decision even though I think your thinking is slightly flawed...no offense. Drop Box is a free host and has millions of users. Happy holidays to you also.

BIABDude: Thank you for the listen.

Robert: Glad you liked it, thanks. Thanks for the kind words and the advice. Unfortunately I probably won't be editing or remixing the tune. I put enough time into it as is and was really happy with the outcome. That bass line thing you mentioned does sound like it would be pretty cool though. Thanks. :)

rhynosynth: Thanks! Yeah, I dig Lynch and Lee...tried to give a bit of my own flavor....always try...sometimes I win, sometimes I lose. You're so right...it's always about the song for me. If I can fit in a little cool solo for the guitar players out there, I like to do that. When I got my record deal in 1999, part of the reason I was signed was the guitar playing stuff. I tried to scale it down actually before the release of the first album and the label said "no you don't!!! You leave that stuff in there!" Then again, it was a melodic rock label and the people they push to expect that stuff. So that's where I ended up. So you're hearing the 80's feel too eh? LOL!!! Ok, I give up....*comes out of the closet*....I'm 80's and I'm proud! Hahahahaha! Yeah, no mistake without Phil, Ed and Steve....I would have never came close to making this song sound the way it does. They all gave me the inspiration for it. Glad you liked it...thanks a lot. :)

My Site
    mgh
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:Danny Danzi - "Countdown to Insanity" *Metal* (CHB Cover) 2011/12/04 08:05:10 (permalink)
    Hey Danny well of course it's absolutely fantastic. love the guitar tone you have going on here. to me, it's not 80s at all, but i do here a strong 90s vibe, the vocal layering is very Seattle, but of course the production is totally now. Great lead, nice and clear despite the trem picking. i love how you have the heavy guitars, vocals and lead all going together, yet have plenty of sonic space for them...you will have to tell me how to do that! one day my mixes will sound as good as this, but for now i can only listen and enjoy!

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    Danny Danzi
    Re:Danny Danzi - "Countdown to Insanity" *Metal* (CHB Cover) 2011/12/04 08:20:14 (permalink)
    Thanks mgh, I really appreciate that! Yeah...90's is more what I was thinking myself with the production being closer to "now". I guess everyone will hear things differently...and that's ok too. Glad you enjoyed it and sure man, I'll help you with anything you want if I can. Your mixes always sound good brother...but that space you're talking about will definitely make a difference. It basically fills in the gaps and is never hard panned. You fill in the gaps with effects by panning them differently than the actual tracks. For example...

Say we have a rhythm guitar panned at like 80% left. I'll run a room impulse on that 80 L via send, squash it good and pan the impulse 60 left or maybe even 55 left. This fills in the space from 80 left to 55 left making the guitar appear bigger. From not using hard pans, it doesn't push your sound all the way to one side making it sound smaller. When you get a minute..listen to one of your guitar tones panned all the way left or right...then decrease that pan so it's not all the way...and you'll notice it literally gains some size from not being sent all the way to one side. Add 2 guitars left and right that aren't hard panned and it just sounds bigger than if you went all the way panned....and it also stops the mix from being too separated.

That's one thing I find that a lot of people do that never sits right with me...and that is, hard pans on rhythm guitars. Sure, there are times when I do it too...like during a solo section I may automate or maybe fly in an additional rhythm and pan it hard on a chorus....but I really like saving that space on the outsides for special effects when we want something to truly come out of nowhere. So try some of that and see how you make out. If you have any questions or whatever, feel free to send me a pm or post them up. I got no secrets brother...if you like what you heard and I can help you achieve some of it...I'll do the best I can. Thanks so much again for the listen and the kind words. :)

-Danny

My Site
    Randy P
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3070
    Re:Danny Danzi - "Countdown to Insanity" *Metal* (CHB Cover) 2011/12/04 08:20:44 (permalink)
    This song had me smiling right away. We are what we are Danny. Rockers from a certain generation. This could have come from anywhere from 85' til now. Modern mix and killer performance in every facet of the song. Good, good stuff.

Randy

http://www.soundclick.com/riprorenband

The music biz is a cruel and shallow money trench,a plastic hallway where thieves & pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. Hunter S. Thompson
    Danny Danzi
    Re:Danny Danzi - "Countdown to Insanity" *Metal* (CHB Cover) 2011/12/04 08:33:38 (permalink)
    Hi Randy, thanks for the listen and the kind words. Much appreciated. Glad you enjoyed it. Meant to tell you....someone posted a song you had done in another thread referencing it. It had all you guys talking at a bar or something with a waitress....I freakin' loved it man! The capture of that was pure bliss and the song was killer! How the heck did you do that talking in the bar or whatever so convincing like that? Did you guys all send parts and you edited them to fit into a conversation like that, or did you guys actually get together for that? It was so convincing I couldn't tell....awesome job on that....I listened to that like 3 times back to back. Thanks again. :)

-Danny
    post edited by Danny Danzi - 2011/12/04 08:44:48

My Site
    Page: 12345 > Showing page 1 of 5
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1