Dark Night, remixed again on 1/04

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Mamabear
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8954
2008/12/29 20:40:44 (permalink)

Dark Night, remixed again on 1/04

Here's one I did several months ago. I just remixed it with better samples and actually eq'd it this time. Probably not right, but it's better than it was. A flute snuck in there this time too, so it doesn't sound so dark anymore, but oh well. Anyway, I need your ears, so don't be afraid to tell me how I can improve it!!

Dark Night

I did many of the suggestions here, even changing the drums a little. I'll still probably go back and redo them when I get EZD, but until then, I did what I could. It should be panned more properly now too. Thanks for ALL your help and suggestions for this one. I appreciate it greatly!!!
post edited by Mamabear - 2009/01/04 20:07:21

48 Replies Related Threads

amateur
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 451
    RE: Dark Night, remixed 2008/12/29 20:51:30 (permalink)
    It's definitely a nice tune, my suggestion (and it may be just me) would be to do something different with the drums/percussion. Maybe some more deep sounding drums or something, I don't know, maybe a drummer will have an idea. The instruments sound good.
    robby
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5819
    RE: Dark Night, remixed 2008/12/29 20:53:39 (permalink)
    Gives me a "love is blue" vibe. I would like 2 hear a bit more presence in the over all mix? like a boost in the 2 to 5K range? Or somewhere in there? The cymbals I can hardly hear. sounds a little muffled.

==================
    It is better to travel well than to arrive.

www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Dark Night, remixed 2008/12/29 21:21:48 (permalink)
    Nice tune, and nice arrangement....... I heard the LIB thing too.... I also agree there needs to be some top end sizzle. That would open this song up...

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Mamabear
    RE: Dark Night, remixed 2008/12/29 21:42:45 (permalink)
    Amateur--thanks! This is the 3rd drum track, and they keep getting better, but I'm sure they could be even better! Thanks for the idea!

Robby-- I haven't thought about that song in ages!! I think you have something there! I eq'd the cymbals. Not sure if that helped or not... And I boosted the 2-5K range too. Thanks for the ideas!

Herb--I tried. If you get back to this, let me know if it's better. Thanks!
    jhughs
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1179
    RE: Dark Night, remixed 2008/12/29 22:07:47 (permalink)
    I really like the driving power of the keyboard part and everything blends together very well.
    The one suggestion I can make is, if it's possible with your setup, to vary the vibrato on the violin and maybe the flute too.
    I'm a bit spoiled because my daughter is a violinist (she's the real musician, I'm just a hack rock guitarist).
    I'd have to say deciding how much vibrato to use is by feel.
    Anyway, again, I really liked Dark Night.
    RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    RE: Dark Night, remixed 2008/12/29 22:40:59 (permalink)
    I like the feel of this. There's something about an upbeat minor key. Salt on sugar.
    That side stick seems a bit hot, and may be venturing into clipping.
    Some spirited action on that keyboard, very nice.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    robby
    RE: Dark Night, remixed 2008/12/29 23:19:20 (permalink)
    Oh this mix is so much better :-) Good job!

==================

Chazdaddy
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 215
    RE: Dark Night, remixed 2008/12/29 23:24:48 (permalink)
    I like this and instrumental piano is not even my bag . The mix is super sharp now, very detailed.
    picklebunker
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 130
    RE: Dark Night, remixed 2008/12/29 23:28:55 (permalink)
    Ya, I gotta love the upbeat minor. Uplifting and tragic at the same time. Mix seems a bit left heavy for me but nice driving pedal on the piano. I normally don't like flutes but well played and fit well with the tune.

al

YAMAHA SY22
    Zoom R16
    DELL INSPIRON 1 GIG. 2.7
    SONAR 6PE
    REASON 1.0
    ZOOM GFX-3
    ESP LTD H 300
    MIDISPORT UNO 16
    Bugera 6262
    APEX MICS
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=805324
    rockyrose
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 131
    RE: Dark Night, remixed 2008/12/29 23:31:07 (permalink)
    I think your a tremendously talented pianist and this piece shows your passion. awesome playing!! the only suggestion I would have is about......... yeah you guessed it , the drums LOL!!! You should check into maybe ezdrummer I really think it would take your mixes to another level (besides its easy to use). love the flute too!!
    Richard
    robby
    RE: Dark Night, remixed 2008/12/29 23:36:12 (permalink)
    “I think your a tremendously talented pianist”

My urologist told me the EXACT same thing when I returned the sample jar. Wait! Are we talking about the same thing?

==================

Mamabear
    RE: Dark Night, remixed 2008/12/30 18:39:55 (permalink)
    Jeffrey--that's exactly the type of comments I was after. Thank you! I actually think I know how to vary the reverb now, so I'll check that. Yes, these samples are quite amazing, I think, but they'll never be like the real thing. Well, at least I don't know how to get them to sound real. But hey, a hack rock guitarist is a real musician too. Thanks for your kind comments.

Bob--love your new avatar, btw. Those kids are precious! I think I may know how to change the outputs of the TTS drums to separate tracks now, so I'll work on that snare. Thanks for pointing that out!! You've always got a way with words too... salt on sugar. LOL

Charlie--thanks! Yes, there IS a variety of music on this forum, isn't there? And an amazing array of talented people too!

Al--left heavy? As in panned to much to the left? Thanks for commenting on that. Glad you like the flute. I thought it was a nice addition, too.

Richard--darn those drums! This is the THIRD time I've totally redone them from scratch. Funny--I thought they were pretty good the first time. ha. Anyway, I did it--well, I'm getting ready to--Cliff told me EZD is on sale at Guitar Center till tomorrow for $99.00, so I'm gonna take the plunge and buy it. I sure hope it lives up to its name cause I don't get a kick out of learning new software. But I suppose it's time to get serious about better drums. Thanks for pushing me! And thanks for your kind comments. I appreciate it.

Robby--sometimes you just leave me speechless.
    foxwolfen
    • Total Posts : 8256
    RE: Dark Night, remixed 2008/12/30 21:33:48 (permalink)
    Janet, the difference between this version and the earlier is amazing. The song went from simply "nice", to "soulful, souring and wonderful". Its remarkable what the improvement in the mix quality has done for the songs.

When I listened to the mix via the monitors, it sounded great. Really nice.

When I put on my headphones, it was then that some problems revealed themselves. Again the issue is one of panning. You have the two main instruments both focused at about 10 o'clock (on the horizontal). This leaves the right side of the mix empty of any leads or comps that are of equal value to the flute and piano. The entire space is filled only with percussion and bass (both of which, btw, sounded pretty good overall).

Here is what I might try first:

Center the piano as it already has a stereo spread associated with it. While you kept most of the quality of the sound, you are losing the tone that would normally be present in the right side when you pan in this manner - do any pans and effects within the synth itself, not Sonar.

Duplicate the flute, pan the dupe an equal amount to the right, and transpose it an octave (or have it play harmony to the lead flute), OR, filter the two dupes so that part of the tone comes left and part right (band pass), in a sense providing an autopan like effect based on frequency, OR, do both. .

There are many ways you can fix it to be better balanced, these are only a couple of them to try.

The centered piano will also give me a better idea of its full tonal quality to answer the other question you posed to me. But even outside of that, it is the one instrument that if the lead, I would always keep centered due to the inherently stereo nature of most HQ piano patches already.

Cheers
    Shad

(edit - changed 2 oclock to 10 oclock - duh)
    post edited by foxwolfen - 2008/12/31 02:54:15

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    twisted6s
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2001
    RE: Dark Night, remixed 2008/12/30 21:50:51 (permalink)
    I love your playing as usual (did you do the bass as well? love it) just the drums.. they need a little more bottom and also a reverb treatment that isn't as bright.

Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.0 ghz processor, 8 gig ram, 2.5Tb drives, Sonar Platinum, Lynx L22, FMR Audio RNP & RNC, Mackie HR824, Neumann tlm 103, Window 10 64
    https://soundcloud.com/twisted6s/sets/tony-pruden

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Dark Night, remixed 2008/12/30 22:02:51 (permalink)
    a hack rock guitarist is a real musician too.

You better believe it! Nothing wrong with being a "hacker" of guitars!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Better job on the mix..with the addition of the boost in the higher freqs.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: Dark Night, remixed 2008/12/30 22:12:38 (permalink)
    Hey, Janet! this is a really nice remix. I really like the piano sound on this one - much improved over the last ones. I have to agree with Shad about the panning, however, well, mostly anyway. I agree completely about his explanations on what the panning you've done, but I disagree about using the panning on the synths instead of on audio tracks in sonar. but that's just my opinion and his way will work also.

really nice bass on this also - not sure about the flute range you have there - you could be out of range of the instrument?

piano playing and sound is excellent! bravo!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Mamabear
    RE: Dark Night, remixed 2008/12/30 23:49:02 (permalink)
    Shad--THANK YOU!!! I appreciate that immensely. I only had a little time to work on the mix tonight, but I'll try to get a new mix up soon. I think the violin was so low that it could hardly be heard, making everything sound lop-sided. But we'll see.

Tony--thank you too! Yes, I did the bass. Glad you like it. I think I eq'd the kick wrong, so hopefully that will sound better. Not sure about the reverb, but I'm working on it!

Herb--thanks again!

Reece--thanks! I checked the flute range and it's within range. The chart I have shows that it can go up to D7 and down to C4. That's almost what the sample allows me to do (it goes one note higher.) Does it sound way too high? I gravitate toward those high octaves, but others have complained about that. I purposely played the violin lower this time and I like it there. Anyway, I appreciate your helpful and kind comments!
    theguitarplayer
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3523
    RE: Dark Night, remixed 2008/12/30 23:55:23 (permalink)
    Now this knocked my socks!! WOW!! Janet, what a great piece, your best yet. John

Sonar X3 Studio, Acid Pro 7, Sound Forge Pro 9, Sonicfire Pro 5, Kinetic 2, Cinescore, HP Pavilion dv7, CORE i7, Q-740, 8gb Ram, Windows 7- 64 bit, 4 tb mem , Audiobox USB, Digitech GNX4, Gibson SG1 & SG3, Martin J65M, Washburn Custom Cumberland, 3 Marshall Amps, Casio 365 Keyboard, M-Audio Axiom AIR Mini 32,  Behringer Truth Monitors, Garritan Aria, EWQLCC, Alloy 2, Ozone 6, Melodyne 

http://www.soundclick.com/JohnRKennedy
    DarinBad
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 461
    RE: Dark Night, remixed 2008/12/31 01:57:56 (permalink)
    Janet,
    This is by far my favorite of yours. Really like the part at about 1:50, and it just gets better as it goes along. Lots of heart in this one. Yes, a better drum synth would do wonders for this recording, but you've done a good job programming them. I have to disagree with some others about the EQ. There seems to be too much of the 3khz - 5khz in this mix for what is in the 250hz - 350hz range. That could be a simple matter of preferance though, so go with your gut (or majority) on that. Really like this. Fine playing as usual, but a cut above on this one. Nice!!

AsRock Z77 Extreme4
    CPU INTEL CORE I7 3770K
    32 GB RAM
    RME Fireface 800
    Windows 10 Pro x64
    foxwolfen
    RE: Dark Night, remixed 2008/12/31 02:32:04 (permalink)
    Janet, you are most welcome. I look forward to hearing the next version.

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    Beagle
    RE: Dark Night, remixed 2008/12/31 08:52:03 (permalink)
    Janet -Ok - if you checked and made sure the flute's in range that's fine. I wouldn't worry too much about it, but for future references, you might want to think about the fact that just because an instrument HAS a particular range, that it's not always played that way. look at some scores where flutes (or violas or cellos or whatever) and study the actual range that they're using the instrument and that doesn't always correlate to what the range of the instrument is actually capable of. Hope that makes sense.

mstodge
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 984
    RE: Dark Night, remixed 2008/12/31 11:14:58 (permalink)
    Hi Janet,

I was thinking i was going to hear some batman theme there.

This is my favourite of yours (so far) you have everything working so well together. The flute is beautiful. You seem to be getting better with the violins now also. You never cease to amaze me with you piano playing.
    One small niggle from me, i feel it would sound better if you faded the violin at the end of the song, as it becomes a bit ear piercing.

Regards
    Mark.
    foxwolfen
    RE: Dark Night, remixed 2008/12/31 12:24:53 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Beagle

Janet -Ok - if you checked and made sure the flute's in range that's fine. I wouldn't worry too much about it, but for future references, you might want to think about the fact that just because an instrument HAS a particular range, that it's not always played that way. look at some scores where flutes (or violas or cellos or whatever) and study the actual range that they're using the instrument and that doesn't always correlate to what the range of the instrument is actually capable of. Hope that makes sense.

Ahhh, but could one not say that a good composer will explore the full potential of an instruments range? And I have heard from many musicians that they quite enjoy and appreciate music that makes full use of their chosen instrument. MMan (the Norwegian fellow) made a good observation about my double reed piece and that was about the "playability" of an part, such as appropriate breathing spots and so on. I will admit I have not listened to that aspect yet, but the range certainly caused me no issues (being a fan of rock flute which often uses extremes).

Composers Forum
    Beagle
    RE: Dark Night, remixed 2008/12/31 13:52:12 (permalink)
    That's fine shad. I'm not saying she CAN'T use full range - and a good composer might do just that. It's just a word of encouragement to look at the way that instruments are "typically" used.

Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    RE: Dark Night, remixed 2008/12/31 17:11:52 (permalink)
    I coast well with this. Easy-listening, soft drums, aggressive piano!

FWIW: I personally would have preferred the dominant piano in stereo and widened ... rather than mono-tucked at 10:00 (40-50% RT).

Excellent melancholy piece. Melodically this is my favorite of yours.
    post edited by Philip - 2008/12/31 17:20:23

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    RE: Dark Night, remixed 2008/12/31 19:32:07 (permalink)
    Bob--love your new avatar, btw. Those kids are precious!

That's my legacy. Xander received such a warm welcome into the world in this very forum, it seemed fitting. Steph's a great mom, and it's a delight to have them both around.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    Mamabear
    RE: Dark Night, remixed 2008/12/31 19:49:30 (permalink)
    John--thank you so much. I guess I've gotta admit I kinda like it too.

Darin--thank you very much! There will be another mix (or more!) on this one, as I've gotten such good feedback.

Reece--I see what you're saying. For instance, not much piano music is written in the lowest and highest octaves, although they're there to play. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks! (I AM happy to know that my samples actually stop me from going all up and down the keyboard though--that would be bad!) lol

Shad--As always, it's great to hear different, and even opposite opinions. Keeps this place interesting. :-) Thanks!

Phillip--the piano's going back in the middle. Stay tuned. (I get a little confused about things now and then. I'm sure no one's noticed though! LOL

Bob--I'm sure it is! My grandson's a delight to have nearby and he even stayed with me last week without crying for his mommy the whole time. Enjoy him. He'll grow up in about, um, 5 minutes. But I'm sure you're already aware of that. :-)
    Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    RE: Dark Night, remixed 2008/12/31 19:59:52 (permalink)
    Forum hog.... Only kidding.....well a little...

The piano sounds fantastic here nice and big and bright nice lilting flute melody and I really like the bassline.

The only real crit I have here is it seems to pleasant to evoke a 'Dark Night'.

Great mix and arrangement.

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    Mamabear
    RE: Dark Night, remixed 2008/12/31 20:09:48 (permalink)
    Mark--thanks. The violins may be getting better because of better samples and Ron's explanation of cc11, etc., etc. It's a good idea to fade it at the end. Thanks for mentioning that!

Darin--I forgot to mention--I ordered EZDrummer yesterday, so maybe my drums will finally get better. Thanks!

Jon--yeah, guilty as accused. Sorry! I can't help myself! lol. Yeah, the name doesn't really seem to fit anymore, does it? Well, got any ideas? It's not exactly so well-known that it would lose any fans if the name was changed!
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1