Dealing with REX files?

Author
Nick P
Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3112
2007/05/13 17:36:15 (permalink)

Dealing with REX files?

We've been discussing this a little bit over on the P5 thread, but I guess more properly it belongs here in the Instruments thread:

I've been discovering the value and usefulness of the .rx2 (REX) file format. Having both Dimension Pro and the Cakewalk RXP player on my machine, each one of these programs installed some sample .rx2 files in different places. I also have Battery 3, which, although it doesn't install any .rx2 files, can access and play them. Battery 3 can also browse similar to Windows Explorer, so having the .rx2 files in different locations is not that big of a problem.

We all know that Dimension Pro with all of its processing and sound mangling capabilities would be an awesome .rx2 player. The problem is, how do you access .rx2 files that were not or are not saved in the locations where DimPro's browser points?

In other words can you re-point Dimension Pro's browser or have it point to multiple locations within its tree structure?

If not, I guess the solution would be to move all .rx2 files to a new subfolder within the root folder where Dimension Pro looks for its programs. Then let the other programs find their .rx2 files there. With Battery 3 this would be no problem. With RXP I guess I would have to figure out how to re-point its browser.

Please advise on this. Thanks!

8 Replies Related Threads

techead
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    RE: Dealing with REX files? 2007/05/13 18:30:40 (permalink)
    Some of us (at least me) have not explored RXP at all.

What can RXP do for us as a point of comparison with Dimension Pro?

Also, what does an .rx2 file format contain? How does Dimension Pro access .rx2 files?
    post edited by techead - 2007/05/13 18:42:05
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Dealing with REX files? 2007/05/13 18:38:57 (permalink)
    I haven't had much luck with RXP loading correctly. Then again, I only gave it a cursory look.

It looks to be much the same as DimPro (1.2) for handling Rex files. They're considered as Multisamples, and accessed through that same dialog. Some neat tricks with them, such as dragging out a MIDI mapping of the slices to the host app. Some keyboard input plays individual slices; a lower range plays the entire loop, and mod wheel reverses the slice directions.

The easiest way that I've found to load .rx2 files from scattered locations is to open up an Explorer window. Drag the file over to DimPro's interface (and, evidently, RXP's), drop it, and it loads.
    Nick P
    RE: Dealing with REX files? 2007/05/13 18:53:04 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: b rock

The easiest way that I've found to load .rx2 files from scattered locations is to open up an Explorer window. Drag the file over to DimPro's interface (and, evidently, RXP's), drop it, and it loads.

Great idea, thanks. BTW DimPro has some sample content that shows you what you can do with .rx2 files being processed w/ DimPro's effects. That's why it's probably the strongest choice for playing .rx2 files if you want to do some heavy mangling.

But I noticed for straight auditioning, RXP seems to play the file automatically when you load it, whereas with DimPro you actually have to trigger the note. RXP makes it a little easier in that department.

I had ignored the .rx2 format myself, but it really has come of age. All of the loop libraries are being released with that as one of the formats. Very flexible and light on resources.

Cakewalk Forums - A Great Learning Resource For All Things Cakewalk!
    auricle
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 492
    RE: Dealing with REX files? 2007/05/15 04:28:48 (permalink)
    I like rex2 and RXP, I spent some time this weekend playing around with it. It is especially cool if you use an arpeggiator to trigger the slices and mess around with pattern and gate settings
    mabian
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1111
    RE: Dealing with REX files? 2007/05/18 06:32:47 (permalink)
    You can use SysInternals "junction" tool to create a hard link - that is, a folder that is actually a link to a folder in another location.

For example, I've used it to "relocate" my Cakewalk data folder from the Documents and settings\username\Cakewalk to (for example) F:\MyCakewalkFolder.

It seems to work great; this way you can "fool" the Dimension Pro file browser, letting it think it's in its folder, but actually it's also looking elsewhere.

I mean, create a new folder in DimPro contents folder and then make a junction for it to wherever you want. Your folder content will appear side by side with original DimPro content folder.

Got it?

- Mario

P.S. This trick only works among NTFS partitions
    post edited by mabian - 2007/05/18 06:37:22

Mario Bianchi
    ---------------
    Intel Q9550 Quad Core, Abit IP35 Pro XE M'Board
    2x2GB RAM, XFX GeForce 8500GT, 2x500GB Seagate SATA2 HD 7200.11
    Terratec EWS88MT, ESI Near 5 Monitoring Speakers
    Yamaha SY-85 Master keyboard, Roland JV-1080 Rack mod
    naughtyhill
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1037
    RE: Dealing with REX files? 2007/05/18 20:51:14 (permalink)
    you can open rx2 files in dimpro no matter where you put them.

not in the program screen but in the multisamples screen.

...stoooned again sorry ....
    post edited by naughtyhill - 2007/05/18 20:55:14
    MurderDethKill
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1904
    RE: Dealing with REX files? 2007/05/19 00:10:34 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: naughtyhill

...and ye apologizin' 4 what?
    FerChrissake's mon, it's why we luv ya.

My site i guess;)
    Monstruousubergeekyhardcorefunkytrancepolkaoptimism Lives!!!
    Nick P
    RE: Dealing with REX files? 2007/05/19 04:56:35 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: naughtyhill

you can open rx2 files in dimpro no matter where you put them.

not in the program screen but in the multisamples screen.

Cool. Thanks, bro.

Cakewalk Forums - A Great Learning Resource For All Things Cakewalk!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1